Thinking "film" vs digital.

Edit My Images
Yes
If you do fancy trying film and buying a good quality film camera then don't leave it on your wish list too long, as prices haven't half risen over the last two or three years. Combined with that, it seems to be getting harder to find a really good example in full working order, prompting the question recently 'have all the good ones gone?'.

I don't think the demand for top make classics is just down to trendy 'retro' types and college students either, it seems there's been a renaissance in film photography. Possibly a combination of younger photographers expanding their interest and the middle aged+ sector with disposable income buying the film camera they'd always wanted but couldn't afford when they were younger.

There were so many film cameras made in the 70s 80s and 90s that you'll almost certainly be able to find something affordable for several more years yet, but the prices for anything approaching a more desirable enthusiast to pro-grade classic in nice condition and full working order only look set to rise as availability decreases.

Last edited:
Edit My Images
No
The Ricoh Singlex created a bit of a stir when it came out (I recall reading the AP review when it first appeared), as it used the Nikon mount allowing Nikon lenses to be used on a cheaper body.
I think you're talking about the Nikkorex F and Singlex which were on the market in 1965 for £103 with a Nikkor f2.0 and £89 with a Rikenon f1.4 respectively. The next Singlex I'm aware of was the one marketed in the UK by Dixons as the Prinzflex TTL and around the world under various other names.

Last edited:
Name
droj
Edit My Images
No
Aside from potential shortcomings with the subject and/or composition, I think quite a bit of what you refer to is probably down to poor technique, and/or deficiencies when scanning/digitising the negatives.

Look at the grass reflected in that bumper chrome! Quite something! But along the top of the bumper, wouldn't you admit that the highlights are blown? It looks quite uncomfortable to me. Is that a scanning failure? If so, who's to blame? Is a lab involved?

Edit My Images
Yes
Look at the grass reflected in that bumper chrome! Quite something! But along the top of the bumper, wouldn't you admit that the highlights are blown? It looks quite uncomfortable to me. Is that a scanning failure? If so, who's to blame? Is a lab involved?
Firstly, please do not selectively edit (snip) when quoting my posts without pointing out that you have done so. Thank you.

In answer; that's what a bright, uniform, flat-grey sky looks like when reflected in polished chrome, particularly when it's falling out of focus. Despite the flat sky and shallow depth of field there is still some detail in there if you look carefully.

Last edited: