Thinking of a change

Edit My Images
Yes
Help! Currently have a Sony A7iii, 24-105, Samyang 35mm 2.8, Voightlander 40mm 1.2.

Take street, landscapes and nature. Recently moved and now walk past a number of bird sanctuaries and mud flats and always had an interest in wildlife.

The Sony lenses 400-600 are too big and with looking forward to travelling a bit more, I’m looking for a more compact set up. I came to Sony from Olympus Epl2 and EM10i.

I’ve already made my mind up that a Fuji x-pro3 and 23mm is on the cards for street photography which may influence answers but, undecided on set up for wildlife.
I always liked Olympus and fancy the EM1 mkiii, but would welcome thoughts on lens choice (telephoto and walk about) but like the look of the 12-40pro.
I’m also considering the Fuji XT4 but not familiar with their lens line up.
I will be looking to try these at LCE when they open up but looking for pointers in the meantime.
many thanks

Last edited:
Olympus Pen-F for both?

Just add on a Fuji 100-400 (maybe with TC) and you can use the 1 system for both!

I hired a 100-400 for an airshow in 2019, brilliant lens

I love the Pen F for street (not that I do much of that) but it doesn't have the focus stacking, nor better focusing and and in built ND filter that the EM1iii has.

I started with the 12-40, and last year bought the 12-100 f/4 as I was going on a snowy holiday and wanted one lens to do it all. I use the latter much more now, but it's a stop less light and is bigger.

Olympus has some tiny f/1.8 lenses (17mm, 45mm and 25 I think) which are really easy to slip in a pocket and are not obtrusive. They also do pro 17, 25 and 45mm f/1.2 lenses which are much bigger and a tiny 12mm f/2 lens. For wildlife and sports I use the 300mm Pro, or the 40-150 Pro (with or without extender). There is also a 100-400 but I haven't tried that. I expect you know the crop factor is 2.

I use my Olympus in terrible weather taking sports shots, so they're quite robust with the Pro lenses on.

The Olympus with a 100-400 lens only £1100 new would be the one to go for especially when you take into account the fact it takes a1.4 tc with no loss of i.q , and due to ibis and lens i.s gives you a comparable 1160mm reach that’s hand holdable for b.I.f ... don’t just take my word for it plenty of put your money where your mouth is shots in the Olympus thread on here or pop along to my Flickr stream for more no exif is hidden

Back