This week's visible comet opportunity!

Edit My Images
Yes
Starting at the end of this week Comet Panstarrs will be visible in the UK skies so here's your chance to get your first comet shots. I'll certainly be trying if I can find a good location in Northants for the western horizon.

Details here:
http://waitingforison.wordpress.com/comet-panstarrs/

Last edited:
Weather forecast looking good for this evening where I am. Got a great view looking west, so hopefully manage to spot it easily.

Has anyone seen the comet tonight?

I have some cloud, but mainly clear to the west - nothing seen here.

Chris

Blanket cloud and still snowing heavily here so I suspect I won't get a glimpse of it!

....sunny south coast my ****!

Heather

Despite starting the thread and being very keen to see and get a shot of this, I confess to turning down the opportunity of clear skies last night. Too darned cold!

I just added Panstarrs to Stellarium (if you havn't got Stellarium, get it) and right now we've only got a very short window to see it when it's a) Above the horizon and b) Dark enough. It will get higher later in the month but may be less bright. Right now it's only about 18.30-19.00 following the Moon down to the W horizon.

Stood in a ****ing freezing cold field west of Aberdeen last night on a truly stunning evening for over an hour.

Saw nothing, absolutely nothing!!!!!!!

img20130311184720.jpg

Last edited:
Nothing seen tonight, despite a clear sky. A good view of a crescent moon, but no comet.

Anybody had a sighting?

Chris

to cloudy up north again
A fried that lives Bristol took some tonight he saw it lucky sod

Climbed up another hill near Aberdeen and watched in horror as a huge snow storm cloud slowly edged southwards right across the view to the West as the sun went down :(

A small gap appeared and the moon looked sensational, but alas it wasn't enough of a gap to see the comet.

Oh well, a few more days left !!!!!

Almost clear skies this evening, so went off to find a good vantage point but the western horizon was cloudy, so no joy :(

moon but no comet my neck of the woods either, fantastic view of the moon though

Well here are my attempts, I hope its the comet in the top left corners - had a tough time trying to focus on the moon even using LiveView on my 650D, previous attempts when the moon has been fuller were much better.

As couldnt see any comet, I was experimenting with various settings, and whilst disappointed with clarity, its a start. Heavily cropped in I guess exaggerates the graininess.

Can someone give tips on how to get better photos in particular focussing on the moon, and what sort of exposure would be best for a comet.

I was using a 100-400 lens, but the best shots came at the lower range when I wasnt so close to the moon, not being sure where the comet was.

Would like to try again tonight as clear sky forecast, then rain for the next 3 days :(

comet.jpg

comet5.jpg

comet6.jpg

comet8.jpg

Shorter shutter time and manual focus is a must. Obviously you need a tripod too.

Oh and see the link below. Someone coming out from Tescos in Aberdeen snapped it on their smartphone, but yet I was west of the city in a field with my DSLR away from the lights and saw nothing........ Now I'm worried that I'm looking up in the completely wrong place :bang::bang::bang:

http://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/Article.aspx/3159345

Last edited:
I was trying manual focus but Liveview was refusing to co-operate (probably my eyesight) - these from memory when processing were about 4 to 8 seconds shutter speed - ones I took lower than that just werent working in PP

Doesnt it frustrate when someone gets a photo on their phone !!!!!!

Last edited:
Ahhh, I don't ever bother with liveview and stick to the viewfinder.

It's tough trying to photograph such a thing in the sky, so I might just stick to using a good camera phone, I'd save a lot of money at least :p

Well here are my attempts, I hope its the comet in the top left corners

Well at least you got it! That's definitely it though obviously not quite the spectacular that some were hoping for.

Hopefully Comet ISON in October lives up to it's billing and produces a more obvious show.

Well here are my attempts, I hope its the comet in the top left corners - had a tough time trying to focus on the moon even using LiveView on my 650D, previous attempts when the moon has been fuller were much better.

As couldnt see any comet, I was experimenting with various settings, and whilst disappointed with clarity, its a start. Heavily cropped in I guess exaggerates the graininess.

Can someone give tips on how to get better photos in particular focussing on the moon, and what sort of exposure would be best for a comet.

I was using a 100-400 lens, but the best shots came at the lower range when I wasnt so close to the moon, not being sure where the comet was.

Would like to try again tonight as clear sky forecast, then rain for the next 3 days :(

comet.jpg

comet5.jpg

comet6.jpg

comet8.jpg

Dont think that is the comet, as it it was way below the moon as in the pic on this thread :-

http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=471648

Dont know what it is then as have seen lots of photos on internet today of the "comet" all being around the same location

I was expecting it to be lower though so havent a clue

What was your shutter speed? It looks very much like the star/planet near the moon in the other thread.

...and the lower one is also seen in Pookeyheads pic in the same place.

I am guessing you had a long exposure?

Heather

Last edited:
from memory a range of about 4 to 8 seconds - but I did several longer ones about 20 seconds and nothing showed in those.

My last photo above your message shows the comet in the location below the moon - what is confusing is all the photos on a space website I saw yesterday had lots of similar photos to my original ones - weird !

Andrew

Not convinced I am afraid.

The two objects in your pictures show in Pookeyheads pic in the same places (one above and to the left, and one below and to the right of the moon) but as points of light as his exposure was 1 sec. The comet is way below the moon near the horizon and looks totally different.

The stars/planets look as though they have a "tail" due to movement, sorry!

Heather

Click for full res.

Just a shot to get them both in... I know the composition is flawed.

Back