Thomas Heaton

Glad to see there's a few of us here that are watching Tom's vlogs. For me, starting out with photography I was on the look out for similar channels to help progress but with Tom I like the fact it's just inspiring more than anything with the occasional tips video thrown in now and again.

Not sure about what? It was abused, it withstood it and he pointed out a couple of failings. Pretty good review no?

Thinks it's more the fact he's becoming more of a walking billboard which has been discussed before. I'm not a fan but watched the ad and thought that it was actually good to put it through its paces properly but I don't want to be watching constant ads. But let's not bring that all up again lol.

Thinks it's more the fact he's becoming more of a walking billboard which has been discussed before. I'm not a fan but watched the ad and thought that it was actually good to put it through its paces properly but I don't want to be watching constant ads. But let's not bring that all up again lol.
I get what you're saying, but if by doing these reviews it means he's able to go on more trips and make more videos etc, then I'm all for it.

I figure it did clearly say "ad" in the title and we're now getting two videos a week. Great ad as far as they go, I'm sure if I had a passing interest in that specific bag and searched YouTube for a review I'd have become a subscriber. Guess I'm just too used to videos usually being based around a shoot.

Just watched the latest video from Thomas, Welcome To Hell - Photography In Bad Weather, the one from the Iceland workshops. For me, one of the best images I've seen in a long time comes up at 10:30 in the video. Taking into account the weather conditions and all the other aspects of the shoot, a great image. I also liked the shot of the abandoned Canon 5D MKIII and tripod in the valley, due, in Thomas's words to someone not watching their gear and being to close to the edge.

Last edited:
I figure it did clearly say "ad" in the title and we're now getting two videos a week. Great ad as far as they go, I'm sure if I had a passing interest in that specific bag and searched YouTube for a review I'd have become a subscriber. Guess I'm just too used to videos usually being based around a shoot.
I get what you're saying, but if by doing these reviews it means he's able to go on more trips and make more videos etc, then I'm all for it.
Yup this^

He's producing 2 videos per week, even when he's away from home, so having to watch* a video that reviews/recommends/advertises a product every little while is a small price to pay.
* You don't have to actually watch any of them, especially if you see that it's labelled as a review or advert.

I find he videos much more inspiring than some other more popular youtube photographers. For example Jared 'Fro' Polin is good (if you like his style) for reviews and gear news. But he's not at all inspiring.
I'm hoping to do a landscape photography trip some point soon, inspired by Thomas Heaton's trips.

Anyone see the one this Wednesday on the 73in73 project? 73 Peak District golden hour landscapes in 73 days being attempted by a couple who lost their baby hours after a premature birth, in aid of the charities that supported them. I found it quite moving, and well worth supporting. In the video Thomas mentions they were aiming at raising £3,000 and had raised about half that. When I looked today they had blown way past twice the target! Probably not all due to Thomas as I seem to remember the project being featured on the local Midlands news, but still, from the comments its clear the video has helped.

Anyone see the one this Wednesday on the 73in73 project? 73 Peak District golden hour landscapes in 73 days being attempted by a couple who lost their baby hours after a premature birth, in aid of the charities that supported them. I found it quite moving, and well worth supporting. In the video Thomas mentions they were aiming at raising £3,000 and had raised about half that. When I looked today they had blown way past twice the target! Probably not all due to Thomas as I seem to remember the project being featured on the local Midlands news, but still, from the comments its clear the video has helped.

I did see that one.

The couple's own youtube channel is this one.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEK5Sd9ib9qIZPolTr27X9g

And they also featured in another Vlog with Adam from "first man photography"

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6NqDSY2nVu0

Both Thomas and Adams vlogs are excellent and totally different.

Anyone going go to see Thomas tomorrow in Preston ?? Really looking forward to it.

i too watch his youtube and it really inspires me, I have started to look for compositions more than just snap away. I find him easy to watch and listen to.

Just today got booked onto a morning seminar and then an afternoon/ sunset/ overnight/ sunrise camp with Thomas here in Northern Ireland.
Looking forward to it. Now need a tent:D

i too watch his youtube and it really inspires me, I have started to look for compositions more than just snap away. I find him easy to watch and listen to.

Agree with this.

A genial just one of the lads type guy with no pretentious statements.

We've dug out the wildcamping gear having been inspired by his videos.

I have booked tickets for the Digital splash show thing in Liverpool in October and have booked a ticket for his mid day seminar/talk too.

I know some don't like him or have every heard of him but his YouTube channel has been a big influence in me trying and loving landscape photography. His passion for landscape photography is infectious.

His YouTube Channel.

He can only be good then if he influenced and inspired you. The couple of vids that I've seen show exactly what it's like trying to get decent landscapes, i.e. hard work, patience, planning and still coming home with nothing, rather than whipping your gear out of the car, setting up and snapping some great scenes!

I think Thomas’s videos are very inspiring, I stumbled across him a few weeks ago and enjoyed what I saw even though I previously had very little interest in landscape photography.

Got me getting my camera out more rather than collecting dust until the next race meeting and have to say I am enjoying learning about a different side of the hobby. I’m now the proud owner of some walking boots and OS maps...

I'm heading up to the Lake District and Scotland on Sunday for 6 days by myself with only landscape (plus seascape and a bit of wildlife) photography on the agenda.

This was prompted earlier this year when I started watching his vlogs and has been pushed on further by the many other excellent blogs I have seen (many of them done by the ladies and gents of this parish) since. I watch more youtube than tv these days.

I am even contemplating doing my own vlog of the trip lol

I'm heading up to the Lake District and Scotland on Sunday for 6 days by myself with only landscape (plus seascape and a bit of wildlife) photography on the agenda.

This was prompted earlier this year when I started watching his vlogs and has been pushed on further by the many other excellent blogs I have seen (many of them done by the ladies and gents of this parish) since. I watch more youtube than tv these days.

I am even contemplating doing my own vlog of the trip lol

A 6 day solo trip...luck sod ;) Enjoy

Cheers.

A 6 day solo trip...luck sod ;) Enjoy

Cheers.

But coming back to a promised 4 day "decorate the lounge" fest :-(

I can just hear her sigh now when I fire up my laptop to do some post trip editing :)

I like his vlogs too. He seems a really straightforward bloke. Inspiring and realistic in equal measures.

I had the pleasure of hearing Thomas speak at a talk here in Northern Ireland a couple of weekends ago and then joining him on a workshop/hiking trip on the saturday evening camping overnight and then sunrise the following morning.
It was featured on the recent vlog from Dunluce Castle and Kinbane Head. And the weather conditions really were atrocious! He is a really nice down to earth guy and although quite shy at first, we had a real laugh on the Saturday evening in the pub
and he may even have had too much Bushmills whiskey and slept in on the Sunday morning:D. He stayed for another 2 nights after the workshop finished so it will be interesting to see tomorrows vlog to see waht he came up with.

I quite like his channel and he doesn't take himself too seriously. Wish him all the best.
Incidentally Chuck Norris is 77 yrs old now but I bet he can still kick ass, lol.

Agree, liked his latest.

He does advertise and is open about it.

Bottom line....if you don't like, hit that unsubscribe button

Cheers

I quite like his channel and he doesn't take himself too seriously. Wish him all the best.
Incidentally Chuck Norris is 77 yrs old now but I bet he can still kick ass, lol.
He'd still round house you in a flash.

+1

I thought his latest one was very funny too

Been out of the "watching YouTube vlogs" for a few weeks but back on it now and in serious catch up mode

Better than the TV by a mile.

Enjoyed the last vid. Enjoy all of his vids for that matter. There are some real nutters comment on youtube. Bizarre stuff.

Some of you might also like Sean Tucker (not sure if already mentioned). Simon Baxter is a good follow and I do enjoy Thomas Heatons videos too.

Back