Tick bite. Should i be worried?

Name
Scott
Edit My Images
Yes
Guy's have any of you ever found a tick feeding on you? I unfortunately did today and it has kind of freaked me out. I called my gp surgery and they were so blaise about it. Leave it and watch the area for a month and if you feel unwell give us a call.

Anyone had anything similar recently and how did it play out?

Mostly, they're not a problem. However, do be aware that they can cause problems if you're really unlucky. I suggest you do a search on it - Lyme disease.

Mostly, they're not a problem. However, do be aware that they can cause problems if you're really unlucky. I suggest you do a search on it - Lyme disease.
I have just did this Sky. Not very appealing i must say. Especially since there seems to be an abundance of deer around the location i picked it up. Just need to wait and see.

Reactions: Sky
Guy's have any of you ever found a tick feeding on you? I unfortunately did today and it has kind of freaked me out. I called my gp surgery and they were so blaise about it. Leave it and watch the area for a month and if you feel unwell give us a call.

How did you remove it?
Thats when the problems can start.

As I understand it, Lyme Disease can have unclear & ill defined symptoms i.e. not easily diagnosed! Therefore, were I your shoes I would strongly insist that the (GP?) surgery enter on your records that you have the tick and your concerns! This being for future reference........................................a precautionary measure.

Is it still there?
Can you get a photo of the little b****r?

I've been told that if you get one, don't squeeze it, burn it, or put alcohol on it, as these can make it regurgitate it's meal back into the bite, increasing the risk of infection.
If you have any vets or pet stores nearby, they may be able to supply you with a tick remover.

As the Brownie says: contact your GP now! My wife got a tick bite and contracted Lyme Disease. She was very lucky that the GPs had a a locum in who had done work on the illness and diagnosed her straight away. Many doctors don't recognise the symptoms because they haven't been involved in an outbreak: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lyme_disease

Is it still there?
Can you get a photo of the little b****r?

I've been told that if you get one, don't squeeze it, burn it, or put alcohol on it, as these can make it regurgitate it's meal back into the bite, increasing the risk of infection.
If you have any vets or pet stores nearby, they may be able to supply you with a tick remover.
Got it off and kept it in case it needs testing any time.

I might be misunderstanding something but did your GP surgery really say, "Leave it"? Did they not tell you to remove it?

Back to your question.
I have lost count how many ticks I have had hitching a ride and having a snack. I spend quite a lot of time(until this year) in NW Scotland and ticks are just a part of the scene. I've had five in one afternoon.

Perhaps I have been lucky but I have had no ill effects and if I have had Lyme Disease I haven't known about it. However, it can be a serious disease and the info that you will find online will provide you will all the background.

Online there is also good info about trying to reduce the chances of being 'ticked'. If have been in a tick area then checking everywhere(and as they climb very well, is it everywhere) on your return is essential and then removing any you find.

As I said I might have been lucky but in my experience, no you should not be worried.

Dave

As the Brownie says: contact your GP now! My wife got a tick bite and contracted Lyme Disease. She was very lucky that the GPs had a a locum in who had done work on the illness and diagnosed her straight away. Many doctors don't recognise the symptoms because they haven't been involved in an outbreak: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lyme_disease
I have called them as soon as i found it and was just not expecting to be told to sit and wait for up to 30 days. Bit scary.

Seeing as Scott lives in a town and infers he picked the tick up away from the area....yes I would be concerned that the surgery or maybe 'that' specific GP knows too little of the possible outcome of such a bite.

Make fresh contact and specifically raise your concerns i.e. make them aware of your awareness!

I might be misunderstanding something but did your GP surgery really say, "Leave it"? Did they not tell you to remove it?

Back to your question.
I have lost count how many ticks I have had hitching a ride and having a snack. I spend quite a lot of time(until this year) in NW Scotland and ticks are just a part of the scene. I've had five in one afternoon.

Perhaps I have been lucky but I have had no ill effects and if I have had Lyme Disease I haven't known about it. However, it can be a serious disease and the info that you will find online will provide you will all the background.

Online there is also good info about trying to reduce the chances of being 'ticked'. If have been in a tick area then checking everywhere(and as they climb very well, is it everywhere) on your return is essential and then removing any you find.

As I said I might have been lucky but in my experience, no you should not be worried.

Dave
Sorry i should have been clearer. I had removed it as soon as i found it. They just told me to wait and see if any symptoms develop over the next 30 days.

I had actually just listened to a radio show a few months ago which advocated removal with a credit card just sweeping it out which is what i did. It all came away very easily.

Sorry, didn't see your post before I posted mine above. Good that you removed it.

You mentioned credit card. Did the programme say an ordinary credit card because I have a tick remover in the shape and size of a credit card It has two notches of different sizes to slide under the tick to remove them.

After removing a tick I very occasionally get a very small red mark at the sight of the bite but that goes away in a day or so.

How big was the tick you had? Years ago most of the ticks I got were adults and very easily spotted. For the last few years all have been at the nymph stage and they are VERY small.

Dave

Sorry, didn't see your post before I posted mine above. Good that you removed it.

You mentioned credit card. Did the programme say an ordinary credit card because I have a tick remover in the shape and size of a credit card It has two notches of different sizes to slide under the tick to remove them.

After removing a tick I very occasionally get a very small red mark at the sight of the bite but that goes away in a day or so.

How big was the tick you had? Years ago most of the ticks I got were adults and very easily spotted. For the last few years all have been at the nymph stage and they are VERY small.

Dave
I have never seen one before so looking online it looked like the nymph stage but i am not 100%. It was around the sesame seed size they describe online. It was a normal debit card i just pinched my skin under the tick and swept under it.

On the day that you pick up the tick, even if the tick is infected with Lyme disease, it would not be possible for the doctor to test for the disease so what can the doctor suggest other than wait a bit.

On the day that you pick up the tick, even if the tick is infected with Lyme disease, it would not be possible for the doctor to test for the disease so what can the doctor suggest other than wait a bit.
In my wife's case, the locum who had special training started her on a course of antibiotics plus having her blood tested. The test came back positive so he really knew his business.

I am not sure but waiting a month to see if you have a disease is not the best feeling. Hopefully it'll not come to anything.

I've had loads of ticks and like vast majority of people I have never had Lyme disease. I do know someone who did but they got the classic bulls-eye rash and apparently in most cases you will develop a rash if you have Lyme. Obviously its good to be aware of the disease but you never hear about all the people who never get the disease.

I have had a lot of the little beggars burrow into me over the last 50 years. I have removed 2 from my dog this week. Back in April I had one attach to an inner thigh.
They used to only be a pest in the warmer months, but they are now active most of the year.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/OTom-02-3785-Otom-Tick-Twister/dp/B0089BOK12

That tool gets the entire tick out (just pulling at it usually leaves the head).

Ticks will attach to any warm bloodied animal. I have seen cattle with dozens of them on their heads. They hang about on grass and other plants then transfer to what ever brushes past.

Just be aware of the "bulls eye" signs of Lyme disease.

I know of a young lady not far from where I reside that has had Lyme disease for a number of years. She has spells of being very unwell. It is not usually so severe.

The classic bulls eye rash symptom does not always occur, if you start to feel fatigued or get flu like symptoms over the next 2 weeks insist that your GP starts you on a 2-3 week course of doxycycline without waiting for a test. You can elect to take doxycycline as an antimalarial and it is very cheap. The blood test is not very good, you have to be tested after long enough to have formed antibodies, but then if you start the antibiotics you may never get enough to test positive, and then the blood test is both unspecific and insensitive (ie plenty of false positives and false negatives).

I had probable lymes disease a number of years ago and went from being exceedingly fit, to being unable to do very much at all. I never had a rash, had a confusing set of test results, don‘t recall being bitten by a tick (but I do plenty of activities where this is likely). I tested positive for the initial GP ELISA test, and the standard autoblot which followed, but not the newer type of test so officially never had it. Having spent a few months being fatigued, the antibiotics helped very quickly (although I was also at home resting as I was sent home from work due to getting dizzy walking down a corridor).

Having said all that, I know loads of people who have had loads of tick bites, and have never had any symptoms so it is very rare.

A mate of mine got bitten and ended up in hospital for a couple of months. He'll never be properly fit again.

As Alastair says, if you get any of the known symptoms, get tested and get yourself on the recommended antibiotics. The sooner it's treated, the better the prognosis. If necessary (and you feel it is), buy the stuff privately, even if it costs to get the private prescription. While Lyme disease is still relatively rare here, it is NOT a minor inconvenience, it can be a killer.

I’ve had loads of ticks over the years and about 15y ago I got bullseye ring.

Went to the gp and said to them it could be Lyme disease.
They didn’t have a clue what it was and went to check her book, took two viles of blood and then realised they have to test you months after not straight away

Was given some really strong antibiotics for about 2 weeks and told not to go in the sun as they affected your skin sensitivity.

Can’t actually remember if I went back to be tested or not [emoji23]

Looking at the symptoms I Could well have it, do get bouts of fatigue and muscle pain, have issues sleeping and then near on narcolepsy and memory like a goldfish. Also have major issues with my knee and especially hand joints that they can’t pin point what is the actual issue.

Might need to go get tested... never google symptoms lol

I’ve had loads of ticks over the years and about 15y ago I got bullseye ring.

Went to the gp and said to them it could be Lyme disease.
They didn’t have a clue what it was and went to check her book, took two viles of blood and then realised they have to test you months after not straight away

Was given some really strong antibiotics for about 2 weeks and told not to go in the sun as they affected your skin sensitivity.

Can’t actually remember if I went back to be tested or not [emoji23]

Looking at the symptoms I Could well have it, do get bouts of fatigue and muscle pain, have issues sleeping and then near on narcolepsy and memory like a goldfish. Also have major issues with my knee and especially hand joints that they can’t pin point what is the actual issue.

Might need to go get tested... never google symptoms lol

What in gods name is "bullseye ring"
Dread to think, sounds like I could end up with a close group of darts stuck in my arris

What in gods name is "bullseye ring"
Dread to think, sounds like I could end up with a close group of darts stuck in my arris
Apparently its the tell tale sign. I have seen it on a number of cases online and it's not one you'd miss although not sure how it could form around the groin area. Most are on legs, ribs etc.

A mate of mine got bitten and ended up in hospital for a couple of months. He'll never be properly fit again.

As Alastair says, if you get any of the known symptoms, get tested and get yourself on the recommended antibiotics. The sooner it's treated, the better the prognosis. If necessary (and you feel it is), buy the stuff privately, even if it costs to get the private prescription. While Lyme disease is still relatively rare here, it is NOT a minor inconvenience, it can be a killer.
Would be wise to buy these drugs and start taking them now or would this be counterproductive?

Having been through a similar experience my only advice is that IF you are prescribed the antibiotic treatment for a tick bite be aware of the side effects of the drug ( take note of the patient notes, that bit of paper in the pack that is usually ignored) I speak from personal experience, the drug can make you more perceptible to sunlight. By lad that’s a grand suntan you’ve got Beetroot bonce springs to mind [emoji2957]

Having been through a similar experience my only advice is that IF you are prescribed the antibiotic treatment for a tick bite be aware of the side effects of the drug ( take note of the patient notes, that bit of paper in the pack that is usually ignored) I speak from personal experience, the drug can make you more perceptible to sunlight. By lad that’s a grand suntan you’ve got Beetroot bonce springs to mind [emoji2957]

There is another antibiotic that warns you to avoid Grapefruit, some weird old meds about.

Would be wise to buy these drugs and start taking them now or would this be counterproductive?

Not an expert so can't say. I don't really like antibiotics as a protection rather than as a cure but with the chance of a life threatening/altering illness, I might rethink. I trust my GP but would insist on seeing her rather than a locum in a situation like yours. As people have pointed out, there are some potentially nasty side effects from this specific antibiotic (as there are with quite a few!)

I had the double issue of being a ginger.. day light burns me( it actually just about does)
When I had it was over one of the really hot summers so I just slept or played Xbox all day and went out at night. But couldn’t drink either

First off, don’t get yourself worried about it. Be aware of the symptoms of Lyme Disease and get on with your life. I’ve had countless ticks (on occasion 7-8 from a single walk! I know, I should be more careful). I know a few folks who have had Lyme Disease and a dose of strong antibiotics has sorted them out. A few years ago it was hard to convince GPs to believe you’ve got it as it used to be a lot rarer. My daughter got her first tick when she was two weeks old, which made us feel like terrible parents! In short, be aware, but not worried.

I really need to thank you for posting this here. A few days ago I developed a red swelling from a bite, which I didnt think too much about at the time. roll on a few days and the swelling and redness continues to grow. (I actually thought I'd been bitten by a spider as I found one crawling over me in bed). I woke quite early this morning and decided to look on TP and came across your thread. realising that Ive done quite a bit of walking in woodlands since lockdown restrictions have been lifted, then had a google as one does then thought I'd have a proper look at my ever increasing swelling and realised I had the classic bulls eye although not quite full circle. Not one to make a fuss thought I would sit on it until tomorrow until the surgery opened. I then measured the area and had another think about it and decided to call 111. From there on things moved quite swiftly. i sent some photos of the offending area , measured the area again and it had grown larger!!, I am shortly on my way to pick up a prescription for a 3 week course of antibiotics. Currently no other symptoms and i hope it stays that way. If I have any more symptoms I have to phone straight back and then they will test blood as well.
I didnt even see a tick on me, so it has obviously had a good feed. Now in the process of washing anything that ive worn or I have come in close contact with. Hoover was out yesterday but it will be out again later.
Again thankyou for posting this as I doubt I would have thought about a tick and lyme disease otherwise. I hope you are okay and remain asymptomatic. The irony of it is I will have picked it up whilst taking photos.

I really need to thank you for posting this here. A few days ago I developed a red swelling from a bite, which I didnt think too much about at the time. roll on a few days and the swelling and redness continues to grow. (I actually thought I'd been bitten by a spider as I found one crawling over me in bed). I woke quite early this morning and decided to look on TP and came across your thread. realising that Ive done quite a bit of walking in woodlands since lockdown restrictions have been lifted, then had a google as one does then thought I'd have a proper look at my ever increasing swelling and realised I had the classic bulls eye although not quite full circle. Not one to make a fuss thought I would sit on it until tomorrow until the surgery opened. I then measured the area and had another think about it and decided to call 111. From there on things moved quite swiftly. i sent some photos of the offending area , measured the area again and it had grown larger!!, I am shortly on my way to pick up a prescription for a 3 week course of antibiotics. Currently no other symptoms and i hope it stays that way. If I have any more symptoms I have to phone straight back and then they will test blood as well.
I didnt even see a tick on me, so it has obviously had a good feed. Now in the process of washing anything that ive worn or I have come in close contact with. Hoover was out yesterday but it will be out again later.
Again thankyou for posting this as I doubt I would have thought about a tick and lyme disease otherwise. I hope you are okay and remain asymptomatic. The irony of it is I will have picked it up whilst taking photos.

Wow, so pleased you got the help you needed. Lots of stories I’ve heard about people getting Lyme disease they’ve not known they were bitten. There are different stages of tick development and I’ve heard the smallest, first life stage are the most likely to give you Lyme disease. Unfortunately, these are really tiny. I’ve had a few and they’re really difficult to get off, let alone notice if you’re not looking out for them. They’re not like the big kernels that you find on your dog. Personally, when I get bitten it gets really itchy so I usually notice bites but for lots of people it doesn’t.

Great bit of awareness raising here!!

Wow, so pleased you got the help you needed. Lots of stories I’ve heard about people getting Lyme disease they’ve not known they were bitten. There are different stages of tick development and I’ve heard the smallest, first life stage are the most likely to give you Lyme disease. Unfortunately, these are really tiny. I’ve had a few and they’re really difficult to get off, let alone notice if you’re not looking out for them. They’re not like the big kernels that you find on your dog. Personally, when I get bitten it gets really itchy so I usually notice bites but for lots of people it doesn’t.

Great bit of awareness raising here!!

I took one off my dog first thing this morning. It was almost 1 cm and bloated with blood. It was on the lower part of her left shoulder and instantly visible from 3 metres. I combed then brushed her yesterday with the specific aim of looking for ticks and grass seeds, but found none. In the evening I felt all over her body and again, no trace (when they are tiny and not attached it is surprising how fast they can run). That is 3 ticks in a week she has had. Three in a year is about average for my locality

Common advice is not to wear shorts outdoors. I never wear shorts, but the ticks still get through.

I would certainly advise anyone living or going to an area where there may be ticks to have one of the little removal tools. They provide the best chance of extracting the entire tick without causing it to disgorge it's body contents into the wound. Just pulling it out with fingers or tweezers usually results in leaving head parts in the wound (infection/irritation risk).

So glad you've seen the thread and really sorry one of the blighters got you. Hopefully the antibiotics will sort you out and you'll be right as rain. Good luck.

There is another antibiotic that warns you to avoid Grapefruit, some weird old meds about.

Grapefruit juice commonly interferes with drugs, particularly high blood pressure or some heart meds. It can increase the bio-availability of some drugs, leaving you with too high a dose in you system. When I ran clinical trials grapefruit juice and St John's Wort supplements were usually specifically excluded

Grapefruit juice commonly interferes with drugs, particularly high blood pressure or some heart meds. It can increase the bio-availability of some drugs, leaving you with too high a dose in you system. When I ran clinical trials grapefruit juice and St John's Wort supplements were usually specifically excluded

And of all the citrus fruits it's only Grapefruit, and my favourite. I am on statins so grapefruit is a nono. Being a toxicologist I was aware of all these drug-drug interactions, and if one of our candidate medicines induced a certain liver metabolyzing enzyme, grapefruit was out in the first in man trials,

Wee update on this. I have been prescribed 100mg of doxycycline today after a few headaches and dizzy spells. No blood tests or anything taken just 20 days of pills. Er on the side of caution according to GP.

Back