Name
T
Edit My Images
Yes
Hello All,

I have recently purchased a Sony A6600 and the RAW files will not display in my LightRoom Classic 8.1

However I have used the Sony Imaging Software to convert all the A6600 RAW files to tiff or I can down load Adobe file convertor RAW to DNG

My question is, which file format is better Tiff or DNG for editing ! ?

many thanks

T

IIRC, DNG is based on TIFF. Again, IIRC, DNG is an Adobe based format while TIFF is platform independent.

I have a similar problem with 5Div and M5 files, my PP software is ancient and I run Windows 8.1.

My process for working with RAW files is, convert to DNG in Adobe DNG convertor, load into Lightroom, edit them, save as 16 bit Tiffs, then load them into PS to finish them off, saving a copy as a Tiff and also, JPEG for web use with my watermark. I then delete the original, LR Tiff to save space.

I have new PC on the horizon, I will be updating all my software and OS at the same time.

I have a similar problem with 5Div and M5 files, my PP software is ancient and I run Windows 8.1.

My process for working with RAW files is, convert to DNG in Adobe DNG convertor, load into Lightroom, edit them, save as 16 bit Tiffs, then load them into PS to finish them off, saving a copy as a Tiff and also, JPEG for web use with my watermark. I then delete the original, LR Tiff to save space.

I have new PC on the horizon, I will be updating all my software and OS at the same time.

Should I use DNG as the file is adobe creation and therefore will work better in Lightroom ! ?

IME, LR handles DNGs well, it's the only way I've worked. :)

Use Sony A7riv and Lightroom 6 also have to convert to DNG but seems to work well.

I convert to DNG before editing too. IIRC there's lossless compression in a DNG file, where a 16 bit TIFF can be very large.

IIRC, DNG is based on TIFF. Again, IIRC, DNG is an Adobe based format while TIFF is platform independent.
As are most raw formats.

Reactions: Nod
As you have LR Classic, I assume that you are paying a monthly subscription as I do. My LR Classic has no problem with the A6600 nor has it since I bought it over 12 months ago. My LR is version 8.3.1 with Camera Raw 14.3. I suggest you see if it will update to the latest version.

Dave

As you have LR Classic, I assume that you are paying a monthly subscription as I do. My LR Classic has no problem with the A6600 nor has it since I bought it over 12 months ago. My LR is version 8.3.1 with Camera Raw 14.3. I suggest you see if it will update to the latest version.

Dave

Hi, my LightRoom is stand alone and I am not in the subscription base purchase.
I do not know any way of up dating the lens / camera profile database files / folders on LR.
So unless I get a subscription based purchase version I will never have the up to date RAW file database.
As I rarely buy a new camera body that frequently and even lenses I do not buy new as most are used from member forum on here.
The last new purchase was .y A6600 and sigma e mount 17-50 f2.8

The mani reason I got the A6600 was I had some e mount lenses and I really wanted Eye AF detection. As my eos 7Dii does not have and it makes a big difference when out shooting.

I use DNG's as my software is too old to recognise newer camera raws. I hope you get on ok with them.

Just out of interest, why don't you convert to DNG in lightroom?

No reason really, I'm just used to doing it this way. There's a new PC on the horizon, maybe things will change then. (y)

Probably because you can't... If the version of PP software is older than the camera raw format the file will not be 'recognised'. You need the DNG converter for older software to work with 'newer' raw formats.

I did not know LR could convert files to DNG !
Where in the menu is that option ! ?

You can either do it at import by selecting "Copy as DNG" at the top; or, in the library module, go to library > convert photo to DNG

Attachments

• DNG1.jpg
    DNG1.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 4
  • DNG2.jpg
    DNG2.jpg
    148.4 KB · Views: 4
I did not know LR could convert files to DNG !
Where in the menu is that option ! ?
If Lightroom does NOT recognise your RAW files then you will NOT be able to covert them to DNG files in Lightroom.
If Lightroom does recognise your RAW files then there is no reason to convert them to DNG files.

You can either do it at import by selecting "Copy as DNG" at the top; or, in the library module, go to library > convert photo to DNG
Nope... If the version of Lightroom is older than the raw file format then that will not be an option.

If Lightroom does NOT recognise your RAW files then you will NOT be able to covert them to DNG files in Lightroom.
If Lightroom does recognise your RAW files then there is no reason to convert them to DNG files.
Plenty of reason, dng is half the size for me.

My LightRoom does not recognise the RAW files from my Sony A6600 as it is too old...

There's an old saying that you never get something for nothing - by the same token, you can't reduce file size without losing something.
I don't know anything about data programing, but you MUST lose something in the DNG conversion process if it reduces the file size that much.
I prefer to keep my raw files exactly how they come out of my camera and I don't mind paying for a program that allows me to do this.

People who want free software must place a very low value on their images, in which case you may as well shoot jpg and forget about developer software.

There's an old saying that you never get something for nothing - by the same token, you can't reduce file size without losing something.
I don't know anything about data programing, but you MUST lose something in the DNG conversion process if it reduces the file size that much.
I prefer to keep my raw files exactly how they come out of my camera and I don't mind paying for a program that allows me to do this.

People who want free software must place a very low value on their images, in which case you may as well shoot jpg and forget about developer software.

The A6600 ARW are 24mb and when I convert to tiff the file size leaps to a whopping 66mb !
Not sure what is losted or gained !

This says it does Raw Development for A6600 files (I think).

This says it does Raw Development for A6600 files (I think).

This software opens the ARW file, I can do editing of the image, however I can not Save As a DNG !

Just going to suggest something here as I came across it on YouTube now many will probably already no about it but!!
Capture One Express (only for Fujifilm or Sony as far as I no) is completely free, you can just load your RAW images, look at them to sort , work on them if you wish in Capture One Express or export the images (As RAW files) as needed to, in my case Affinity Photo or On1 Photo Raw. I also have Lightroom 6 perpetual so cannot recognise Sony A7R IV files. Russ.

Just going to suggest something here as I came across it on YouTube now many will probably already no about it but!!
Capture One Express (only for Fujifilm or Sony as far as I no) is completely free, you can just load your RAW images, look at them to sort , work on them if you wish in Capture One Express or export the images (As RAW files) as needed to, in my case Affinity Photo or On1 Photo Raw. I also have Lightroom 6 perpetual so cannot recognise Sony A7R IV files. Russ.
Interesting, I have never thought about using Capture 1 !

Yup. You have to get a recent version.

Hope it works out for you T.

Hi All,
I did an update of the Sony Imaging suite and then tried again.

What I have to do first is use the Sony App to convert A6600 ARW files to Tiff and the open the Adobe DNG convertor to then convert the tiff to DNG !
The tiff files range from 66mb up to 140mb,..wow.... so converting tiff to DNG is essential.

Once I have the DNG files I import them into LightRoom and of course I do not have any auto lens correction as camera or lenses is recognised in my LRC version, though most images are fine.

Many thanks to you all for the advice and help

T

Hi All,
I did an update of the Sony Imaging suite and then tried again.

What I have to do first is use the Sony App to convert A6600 ARW files to Tiff and the open the Adobe DNG convertor to then convert the tiff to DNG !
The tiff files range from 66mb up to 140mb,..wow.... so converting tiff to DNG is essential.

Once I have the DNG files I import them into LightRoom and of course I do not have any auto lens correction as camera or lenses is recognised in my LRC version, though most images are fine.

Many thanks to you all for the advice and help

T
I don't understand why you are converting the ARW files to TIFF.

Back