Time to try something new :0)

Name
Steve
Edit My Images
No
I've just bought 16 rolls of 120 film after deciding to try some new emulsions for a change.

As well as 4 Acros (my favourite B&W), I've also got 10 Fuji Reala 100 and 2 Fuji Astia 100 on the way :0)

I've never shot Reala or Astia but checking out Flickr I'm looking forward to some nice results although I'm not sure how long 10 rolls will last me but the seller wasn't willing to split! As a result, I might put 5 rolls in the classifieds here but I'll see how I like the results.

Has anyone here shot either of these emulsions before and have thoughts/suggestions for exposure?

Cheers
Steve

Steve, I think you will love Reala 100,it is a wonderful film and renders the colour spectrum very well. I always shot at box speed and sometimes need a little saturation in PP after scan.

Mmm, interesting, I hadn't really looked at Reala before but its colour pallet appeals to me as I'm finding Velvia a bit too intense.

Andy, Velvia is just Velvia,punch your lights out film,Reala is a different film all together,but,as it is a discontinued emulsion now, it can be hard to come by at the right price,but,it is well worth looking for,to be able to put a few rolls in the fridge.:)

Thanks for the thoughts Richard, much appreciated.

The Reala I've got coming has an expiry of March 2016 and the Astia has December 2014 so loads of life left in them yet :0)

I've just bought 16 rolls of 120 film after deciding to try some new emulsions for a change.

As well as 4 Acros (my favourite B&W), I've also got 10 Fuji Reala 100 and 2 Fuji Astia 100 on the way :0)

I've never shot Reala or Astia but checking out Flickr I'm looking forward to some nice results although I'm not sure how long 10 rolls will last me but the seller wasn't willing to split! As a result, I might put 5 rolls in the classifieds here but I'll see how I like the results.

Has anyone here shot either of these emulsions before and have thoughts/suggestions for exposure?

Cheers
Steve

Well Steve I look forward to know what you think of Reala 120....it's my favourite 35mm film so far as I haven't tried Porta or Ektar yet, and also I mostly take shots in sunny conditions at 100 ISO (film exp 2007). For me Reala (and Superia) do accentuate reds at times e.g. street scene and the traffic lights on red (far away)...seem to pop out of the picture, but other times (as in snap below) there is no problem.
But Reala is great for all scenery shots esp with greens.

I have a pack of 20 (once) 35mm Reala 100 expired in 2007 that I shoot at 80 and love. If I saw another pack at a reasonable price I'd get it like a shot. But the last time I saw Reala on the evil bay they were asking more than the cost of my 20-pack for a SINGLE FILM!

I only ever managed one roll of Sensia and got some fantastic storm images on it. Again I'd buy more if I could.

Those are fantastic, Kevin, though for some reason I usually get a more muted pallete with Reala:

1)

2)

OTOH as mentioned I got some nice distant storm images from Sensia:

3)

Thanks for the examples Bryan, Chris and Kevin, I'm really looking forward to shooting it now :0) The colour seems more magenta than Provia/Velvia but the dynamic range looks really good.

Maybe I will shoot 10 rolls after all? ;0)

The Sensia is presumably still prepaid processing :) !

Steve, I think you will love Reala 100,it is a wonderful film and renders the colour spectrum very well. I always shot at box speed and sometimes need a little saturation in PP after scan.
WHS. a superb film in my view, I too shoot at box speed and I agree it does need a little saturation when processing scans. Sadly it is no longer made and my fridge supply is running thin!

Go out and shoot it, it is a classic high quality colour emulsion in my humble opinion.

Just got my films back from Asda and here is a good e.g. of using Fuji film in this shot with Agfa Vista, it has accentuated the reds that weren't there as seen by my eyes:-

Asta Vista + a nice combo with CZJ 28mm

Back