Daily Timmy's 365 - Well that's that then.

Well I'm still ploughing through everyone's threads. Apologies if I haven't got to yours yet, I will do soon. I can usually see the images on the pages after about the 5 load attempt :bang:

I may be investing in a new router for my mother-in-law soon! Anyway, I'm off on a little excursion tomorrow, so may not be around until the middle of next week. I'll leave you with a few of my images in an attempt to bring my thread up to date! Beware there are a significant number of fillers in this lot:

065/365/2013 - Universidad de Salamanca by Tim.Garlick, on Flickr

066/365/2013 - Po ta to by Tim.Garlick, on Flickr

067/365/2013 - Fellow Time Traveller by Tim.Garlick, on Flickr

068/365/2013 - Beanstalk by Tim.Garlick, on Flickr

069/365/2013 - Tunnel Vision by Tim.Garlick, on Flickr

070/365/2013 - Up on the Roof by Tim.Garlick, on Flickr

Fab catch up with lots of really different subjects - love teasle and Never Enough Time....She's Back is so cute and what a lovely face she has!

Tell me, what on earth does that handwritten note in Ullrich Schanuss say? It's like hieroglyphics! :D

Beanstalk and teasel.... Wow!!! Love those but that cat awwwwwww so cute!
Awesome catch up as always (y)

Nice catch up and great to see Mavis back :love:

Especially liking Teasel and it looks like you've had some very tasty dinners :D

Well that was one hell of a catch up (y) some wonderful photo's you've had some seriously tasty looking food :LOL: not that I've got an obsession or anything, I think it was a touch optimistic to have the bins out in the snow :cautious: I know out useless lot wouldn't have turned up

I think it was a touch optimistic to have the bins out in the snow :cautious: I know out useless lot wouldn't have turned up

Actually I reckon they just leave them out like that all the time. Lazy sods.

Thanks all! Ok still not caught up, about 4 days behind with my postings on flickr, but time for a quick update here I think ;)

Where were we?

083/365/2013 -Travel kit by Tim.Garlick, on Flickr

084/365/2013 - Semana Santa by Tim.Garlick, on Flickr

085/365/2013 - "Some people drink from the fountain of knowledge..." by Tim.Garlick, on Flickr

086/365/2013 - 1980's Throwback by Tim.Garlick, on Flickr

Tell me, what on earth does that handwritten note in Ullrich Schanuss say? It's like hieroglyphics! :D

Yeah he used one of those rubbish thick marker pens where the ink spreads a soon as it hits the paper. It says "For Timmy (ha ha!), Good to meet you in Leeds, Ulrich Schnauss."

Underneath, I had to crop out, "P.S. Thanks for being such an inspiration. You are my hero and a truly brilliant man. Handsome too! I love you always XXX"

Nice catch up - with those Creme Eggs in your luggage, you should've come to visit me - I'm sure we could've come to some arrangement re lunch ;)

Nice catch up - with those Creme Eggs in your luggage, you should've come to visit me - I'm sure we could've come to some arrangement re lunch ;)

Lol, those creme eggs went within about 5 minutes of our plane hitting the tarmac. They were earmarked for my nephews, but I'll know to skip the clothes and just load my suitcase full of chocolate eggs next time :)

vince31 said:
What a capture in Day 84 .........Love it

Thanks! Getty liked that one too; still, not managed to sell anything through them yet :(

Still more to catch up on!

090/365/2013 - Granada by Tim.Garlick, on Flickr

091/365/2013 - Doorways by Tim.Garlick, on Flickr

092/365/2013 - Sierra Nevada by Tim.Garlick, on Flickr

093/365/2013 - Urco by Tim.Garlick, on Flickr

094/365/2013 - Spanish Galleon by Tim.Garlick, on Flickr

I've seen most of these on Flickr :D

Were those girls realy out for Semana Santa, or was it some other Fiesta :eek:

I have an octopus in my freezer at the moment :D Just trying to convince one of my girlies to wear it as a wig :D

I've seen most of these on Flickr :D

Were those girls realy out for Semana Santa, or was it some other Fiesta :eek:

I have an octopus in my freezer at the moment :D Just trying to convince one of my girlies to wear it as a wig :D

In Murcia they have another festival just after Semana Santa. I think it's unique to that region. They basically build a giant Sardine, then have lots of parades, before reading the "will" of the sardine and burning it in a giant fire, with fireworks to follow. It's kind of like a fishy equivalent of Guy Fawkes night, although I'm unsure as to whether or not there was actually sardnine-based threat to their political system.

The parade is amazing. They have loads of floats with all cartoon and Disney characters, and then after about 2 hours of that nonsense they bring out the dancing girls and practically naked ladies on one of the last floats. I think it's a way of keeping the Dads there until the end rather than trying to cart the kids off to bed early. Following the naked ladies they have a number of floats where they distribute yet more sweets (as if the bin-liner sized bags of sweets they kids all collected over Semana Santa weren't enough). I think Dentists do well here.

BTW you should totally get the girls to wear the octopus. Offer them cash, we can have a whip round.

snorton said:
Great catch up Tim...loving the octopus shot

Thanks, yeah I was pleased with how that one came out. It was through som quite scratchy glass, but I think my kit lens handled it very well.

Ok, still got a few to post before I get up to date so here's a few more (sorry about bombarding you with them atm):

097/365/2013 - Meet & Greet by Tim.Garlick, on Flickr

098/365/2013 - Accessorise by Tim.Garlick, on Flickr

As soon as I got home, I noticed it was much lighter when I got back from work. Hence there are a few wildlife shots in this batch:

099/365/2013 - Red Fox by Tim.Garlick, on Flickr

100/365/2013 - Robin (European) by Tim.Garlick, on Flickr

101/365/2013 - Ladies Night by Tim.Garlick, on Flickr
-

In Murcia they have another festival just after Semana Santa. I think it's unique to that region. They basically build a giant Sardine, then have lots of parades, before reading the "will" of the sardine and burning it in a giant fire, with fireworks to follow. It's kind of like a fishy equivalent of Guy Fawkes night, although I'm unsure as to whether or not there was actually sardnine-based threat to their political system.

The parade is amazing. They have loads of floats with all cartoon and Disney characters, and then after about 2 hours of that nonsense they bring out the dancing girls and practically naked ladies on one of the last floats. I think it's a way of keeping the Dads there until the end rather than trying to cart the kids off to bed early. Following the naked ladies they have a number of floats where they distribute yet more sweets (as if the bin-liner sized bags of sweets they kids all collected over Semana Santa weren't enough). I think Dentists do well here.

BTW you should totally get the girls to wear the octopus. Offer them cash, we can have a whip round.

Ah yes, I've heard all about the famed Sardine of Murcia - it's meant to be some party :D

Totally agree about the dentists - I have long held the notion that they probably sponser the procesions :D

I've managed to convince one of them, providing they have their hair securely wrapped in cling film first (y) Unfortunately they are with their dad for a while now - but it shall be done fairly soon :LOL:

Thanks, yeah that oil on water was a bit of a filler to be honest. It was quite a rushed job. I did gel my flash and tried a number of different colour options, but on editing I was messing with the white balance, and i thought yellow and pink worked quite nicely. It wasn't until I posted the picture I realised I'd probably just set the white balance to normal, as the oil just ended up the same colour as.. oil! Anyway, it was fun and I'll spend some more time revisiting this one when i have it!

Yesterday's was inspired by a fellow 365er:

106/365/2013 - Self Portrait (with flash!) by Tim.Garlick, on Flickr

Last edited:
Where have you been hiding?! Well, I'm subscribed now :D

And you win on the "selfie" ;) Love it! Now I'll just PM you my address for that camera... :LOL:

Last edited:
How exciting having a new car :D

Blue tit looks like it is quite a young one - cute.

Thanks. Ok new project for tonight

112/365/2013 - Bling by Tim.Garlick, on Flickr

I think jewellery, in particulalr gemstones or diamonds (as in this picture), must be the most difficult thing to photograph ever! When you hold a diamond in your hand you can see it shimmer and sparkle with various colours. Take a photo and it looks like clear glass. The difference is, when you hold the diamond you are moving it, and the light catches your eye as it gets reflected from various surfaces. When you take a still image, you have to be at exactly the right angle, or you get nothing.

A friend asked me if I could photograph an engagement ring for him. He wants to put it on ebay (don't ask) but every time he tried it would come out looking dirty. I said I would give it a go.

First of all, I had to clean it (it was dirty) and started taking a few snapshots aiming the flash at it from various angles. I quickly realised I needed to get in closer, so used my smallest extension tube, but could I capture a sparkle? Nope, not a chance.

I knew I should probably reduce the aperture to get the star shape I was after, so set my lens to F22. Now, I couldn't see anything to focus on, so it was time to bring out the torch. Still every shot made the diamond look flat and lifeless. I tried lighting it from the side, from the front, from the back, from beneath, from directly above...no luck. Finally I decided to try with the flash as close to my lens as possible and there, suddenly, it appeared! There was the "bling" I was looking for.

In conclusion, it would probably have been a lot quicker if I just used my phone, where the flash is in direct line with the lens!

Maybe a few other things to try if I get more time another day:

1) Spend longer polishing the ring
2) Try less light from the flash (I was probably just flooding the stone from all angles most of the time)
3) Try the flash from further away (make it a smaller light source)
4) Try multiple light sources (and multiple colours)!

Anyway, that was my little project for tonight, and my picture for today.

I'll just go C&P my reply from Flickr - you don't always post here the same day, so I commented there :p

Back