Tips for cleaning laptop screens

Marc

TPer Emeritus
Edit My Images
Yes
I have tried to keep my laptop screen clean but it's getting to the stage where I have marks that just won't go away. I have to double check when editing as It's hard to tell if it is a mark on the screen or sensor dust! :bonk:

Does anyone have any effective methods for getting rid of these marks? With the screen being relatively soft, unlike the glass monitors of old, I'm reluctant to wipe it too hard. I've got one of those lenspen laptop-pro thingies but it doesn't seem to be doing a very good job.

I use Mr Muscle Window cleaner and a bit of kitchen paper for all my screens, it's never done them any harm (y)

I use Mr Muscle Window cleaner and a bit of kitchen paper for all my screens, it's never done them any harm (y)

I did think about something like that but never had the bottle (Sorry, :coat:) to try it. May give it a go, cheers. (y)

Microfibre cloth seems to work well for me - Always gets the finger marks off!

Yeah, they are great for fingerprints and the like. Just needs something a bit stronger for these marks.

I always use these wipes you get for reading glasses - not had any problems.

A damp [not wet] piece of kitchen roll has been working well for years for me, abrasive enough to shift the stubborn marks without causing any damage or requiring to hard a scrubbing.

However, someone tell me this, where DO those spots and splashes come from anyway? A couple of weeks after cleaning, my screen always look like someone has been splashing coffee at them or sneezing all over them, even when they haven't :shrug: :bonk:

:eek: - I was always told to keep paper (towels hankies etc) away from glass (in particular specs) as it will scratch them - I find microfibre cloths are good with a bit of 'huff' to shift the stubborn marks ... Paul

However, someone tell me this, where DO those spots and splashes come from anyway? A couple of weeks after cleaning, my screen always look like someone has been splashing coffee at them or sneezing all over them, even when they haven't :shrug: :bonk:

Now I've always wondered that. It does look like someone sneaks in and has a good old sneezing fit! :puke:

OK, just found a bottle of Mr Muscle glass and window cleaner in the cupboard, got some kitchen roll and gave it a go and....................................................................(y)(y)(y)

Thanks all. :)

Bah - you must have bought the girly model :razz:. Just the excuse you need to go get an even bigger one!:clap:

Great idea. Can I come round and test it on your screen first? :p

A damp [not wet] piece of kitchen roll has been working well for years for me, abrasive enough to shift the stubborn marks without causing any damage or requiring to hard a scrubbing.

You know them threads in OOF which make you spit coffee everywhere...

Probably a good starting point;)

I got some cleaning solution from my local Apple store, came with a bottle of solution and a microfibre cloth. The product was good because it was suitable for both the screen and the outer casing of the laptop.

Quite cheap too as I remember.

I always use these wipes you get for reading glasses - not had any problems.

I have used these wipes for my glasses for a while, but found that a residue built up and I could not shift it - until:-

Asda microfibre window cloth + a little water. Now crystal clear.

Microfibre route for me too.

I got some cleaning solution from my local Apple store, came with a bottle of solution and a microfibre cloth. The product was good because it was suitable for both the screen and the outer casing of the laptop.

Are you sure you bought this from an apple store? :LOL:

was this "cleaning solution" bottled water with a 100% price markup?

:naughty:

OK, just found a bottle of Mr Muscle glass and window cleaner in the cupboard, got some kitchen roll and gave it a go and....................................................................(y)(y)(y)

Thanks all. :)

exactly what i use... perfect!

My mates laptop repair company uses this for screens and this for the outer casing.

Also if you have ever bought something and it has a sticky label on that when you tried to peel off the backing stayed put then use this its amazing. Spray it on and leave it for about a minute then wipe peel the label and it comes off complete.

I always pinch a few tins off him every now and then to keep at home and I must say they come in handy. Not too expensive either for all 3 so worthwhile keeping at home.

I use a flash wipe, then when it's dried streaky but removed the dirt I dampen a corner of my microfiber cloth, wipe it all over, then buff with the dry part of the cloth before it dries if that makes sense. It's always best to do it when the screen is black/off to :LOL:

isopropylalcohol and a microfibre cloth is the dogs danglies imo :clap:

I noted this thread with some interest as my kodak digital photo frames had some smears on them. Went to ASDA to get some mr muscle (which I didn't use in the end) & a micro fibre cloth. Whilst I was there I noticed a bottle of TFT/LCD Screen cleaner manufactured by strand, cost something like £1.50 for 250ml, also bought a jumbo micro fibre cloth by minky £2.00
I tried it out on my TFT photo frame, sprayed enough cleaner onto a clean cotton rag to make it damp, wipe the screen over with it, then before the fluid on the screen had dried to a smear (as it did the first time) I wiped it with the micro fibre cloth, & WOW pristine, so I did my other frames too, same excellent result. :) :) :)

I have been cloning dirty marks out of my photos all day. Some are so stubborn.

Doh! They are on the screen :eek:

Just used the Mr Muscle technique.....WOW my screen is so bright now!

Back