Tips to loan equipment to another person?

Edit My Images
No
I normally don't loan my gear to another person but this time I got no choice because my sis in-law wanted to borrow a camera for a day.

Of course i got bunch of lens and 2 cameras and she just wanted something small and light to use. I have gears like Grip D300, grip D7000, 70-200 f2.8, 24-70 f2.8, tamron 17-50 f2.8, 35mm f1.8, 50 f1.8, 24 f2.8, 105mm f2.8.

Of course she is not borrowing my d300 due to weight and i didn't tell her i have a 70-200 and 24-70. Prime lens is big no no to her due to not zoom able.

So only my d7000 and tamron 17-50 f2.8.

Most likely the grip will be taken out and lens will be attached with the camera.

Any tips for me to loan equipment out?

Deposit.
Signed agreement.
Proof of insurance.

Personally I wouldn't but I'd make sure it's covered by some insurance, odds on yours wouldn't so I'd check hers does as she doesn't actually own the camera.

I once lent a DSLR+lens to family and it came back rolling around in a cardboard box, lens off body, with no caps and the camera was full of hair :puke: At least all it needed was a good clean and the caps replacing.

What can you do? It's family... just hope for the best.

I wouldnt even let my other half use my gear..just not worth the risk.Are they familiar with using dslrs etc?..

Advise where they can buy a cheap compact!

Precisely. You don't have to loan anybody your gear. But if you can't say No, then you're unlikely to ask them for a deposit or insurance either. Say straight up you don't like loaning out gear. If they don't like it, well ... tough!

Ask can you borrow her flat screen tv or other expensive electrical stuff in return. See how she takes it ;)

I wouldnt lend my gear to anyone i'm afraid... not even my dad.

The only people who lends me things or I lend them things is my work partner Iain as we obviously share gear to do jobs together so we are always in view of our own equipment and we both have an obsession with keeping things in perfect condition anyway.

My advice as above is don't

I've got insurance for all my gear but i not sure does it even cover on situation like this.

She claim she use to shoot in film ..........

Can't say no to her cause i own my brother a big favour and he ask me to borrow it to her ........

I just try to reduce the risk ....... only camera and lens. Was hoping she take the d300 since is cheap to buy a second hand one again but she picked the compact d7000 instead ........

Finger cross and hoping it won't break.

I've got insurance for all my gear but i not sure does it even cover on situation like this.

She claim she use to shoot in film ..........

Can't say no to her cause i own my brother a big favour and he ask me to borrow it to her ........

I just try to reduce the risk ....... only camera and lens. Was hoping she take the d300 since is cheap to buy a second hand one again but she picked the compact d7000 instead ........

Finger cross and hoping it won't break.

I'd say no, you do have a choice!!

Does she specifically need a DSLR?

If you do feel forced to loan it, make sure you get a deposit for the full amount!

If my sis in law wanted to borrow my kit I'd laugh my nuts off!

So she used to shoot film, then surely she can cope with a 50 f1.8 as the only lens? 50 f1.8 are less painful to replace compared to the high end f2.8 zoom lenses.

Having said that, I echo what's been said, if you can get out of it, don't.

So she used to shoot film, then surely she can cope with a 50 f1.8 as the only lens? 50 f1.8 are less painful to replace compared to the high end f2.8 zoom lenses.

Having said that, I echo what's been said, if you can get out of it, don't.

Fingerprints on front element and a few knocks with a generous amount of dust on the sensor was the least I saw on loaner kits. We are talking lenses split in half, attempts to clean mirror and so on :wacky:
If I am watching them it's one thing, if they go away for a day they get too much temptation to misbehave

A while back I used to loan my Sony f717 to someone at work for product photo's. Never had any hassles at all but I did warn them that marks on the camera = fingers chopped off. I was only half joking! ;)

Saying that I knew they were the careful and unlikely to dabble about with settings type.

Didn't think there was anyone who didn't have a camera of some sort these days albeit a compact or tablet/mobile type thing

Might seem mean, but I will not lend any equipment out no matter who it is

My daughter and I do share our gear, but we both own some half decent kit therefore no concerns about it being treated badly (looking forward to trying out the 24mm 1.4 L she purchased a week or so ago :))

Give her to her with a completely depleted battery. That way, you've lent it to her, she hasn't been able to use it and of course it's unfortunate that you didn't remember to charge the battery :D

Give her to her with a completely depleted battery. That way, you've lent it to her, she hasn't been able to use it and of course it's unfortunate that you didn't remember to charge the battery :D

:LOL: Until she starts pulling the camera apart trying to see where the battery goes...:naughty:

well she will come collect the camera on coming weekend and i will mention it to it, break it she will pay it consider the D7000 plus tamron 17-50 f2.8 new cost around 1k ish.

Hopefully that will scare her to treat it probably.

Why does she need a DSLR anyway? Do you know what she's shooting?

I'd lend only stuff to family or (real) friends I was prepared to lose.

I'd never let any of my SLR stuff out of my sight, but I have lent my Sony NEX (was s/h, cheap snd I rarely use it) and tripod (pretty much unbreakable through normal use) etc to people I trust.

The OP is letting the sister-in-law borrow it, it hardly requires a loan agreement!

I`m trying to decipher the OPs posts.

In my experience people who borrow stuff don't look after it, my gear is not the best in the world but i worked hard to buy it, and i sure as hell am not going to lend it to anyone :D

I've always gone by the policy to only lend out that which I don't mind losing or being broken.

Anything else, no. I've actually got a couple of compacts for exactly the reason in the OP. I'd rather lose a TZ7 worth £70 than a DLSR worth £1k like the OP seems to be considering doing.

:D What a load of tight, ungrateful lot we have on here.

It's a bit of electronics nothing else.

A friend of mine has borrowed gear from me many times and vice versa. If any thing ever goes badly wrong he would replace it as I would do for him.

A friend offered to lend me his 5DmkII. I just wouldn't do it as if the worst happened I couldn't afford to replace it and would have felt huge guilt for leaving him without a camera.

I wouldn't lend my camera out either, if there is no value in an item to a person why would they treat it with any value.

A friend of mine has borrowed gear from me many times and vice versa. If any thing ever goes badly wrong he would replace it as I would do for him.

Exactly. The responses here just go to prove the unhealthy emotional attachment to some electronics, plastic and glass.

Saying that, I would mention the cost of the equiptment to brother and have an expectation it would be well looked after and any damage sorted out. You should already know what sort of person your brother is though...

Exactly. The responses here just go to prove the unhealthy emotional attachment to some electronics, plastic and glass.

Saying that, I would mention the cost of the equiptment to brother and have an expectation it would be well looked after and any damage sorted out. You should already know what sort of person your brother is though...

Not really, just shows we wouldn't want our stuff broken by people who arnt used to handling it, and then having to deal with the unnecessary cost of replacing / repairing if the precision instrument(s) get damaged.

Not really, I have worked and saved dammed hard over the last 4 years to get the gear I have now (just over 6K worth in my bag) so I doubt very much I would lend my gear to anyone.
All it takes is a slip or trip and you can kiss goodbye to what you lend them unless they are prepared to pay for it, in which case why don't they just buy their own in the first place??

Back