Tips to loan equipment to another person?

I wonder if anyone in this thread borrowed the screen calibrators or the film cameras that were doing the rounds on here in the not too distant past!

I have let people use my equipment, I trust people but then I am a better judge of character than most.

I wonder if anyone in this thread borrowed the screen calibrators or the film cameras that were doing the rounds on here in the not too distant past!

Well they're relatively cheap stuff, not a DSLR body and f/2.8 lens, it's different.

What a load of selfish rubbish in this thread.

She's family and asked to borrow a camera and a zoom, I'd have no hesitation in loaning it out, and would even spend an hour or two going through how to use it properly or maybe even how to look after it if they don't know.

Some things in life are more important than keeping gear in mint+++ condition.

What a load of selfish rubbish in this thread.

She's family and asked to borrow a camera and a zoom, I'd have no hesitation in loaning it out, and would even spend an hour or two going through how to use it properly or maybe even how to look after it if they don't know.

Some things in life are more important than keeping gear in mint+++ condition.

See above.

I have let people use my equipment, I trust people but then I am a better judge of character than most.

I can't remember ever getting one this way, so bough it. And oh well, they are cheap and a lot less fragile.

As I said I am personally aware of people killing loaner gear, thankfully not mine.

I can't even lend anyone a DVD without it, and it's case coming back covered in scratches...

I always get stuff returned to me in a lesser state than I lend it, hence why I'd never lend kit out to anyone bar the most experienced and trusted photographer.

I hope for the OP's sake this doesn't turn into a "told you so" thread.

In the OP's case, no I wouldn't lend it to her, in my own case the only person I trust is my brother, he's a tog with many decades experience who looks after his kit and mine if he borrows it.. just lent him my Nikkor 300MM F4.5 today, I'm not worried and know if it gets damaged he'll replace it.

I can't even lend anyone a DVD without it, and it's case coming back covered in scratches...

I always get stuff returned to me in a lesser state than I lend it, hence why I'd never lend kit out to anyone bar the most experienced and trusted photographer.

I hope for the OP's sake this doesn't turn into a "told you so" thread.

Sounds like you're lending stuff to the wrong people. If they can't take care of someone else's property then they don't deserve to be lent anything. There are people I know that I can and have lent lenses to (and gifted one my old 300d) but there are others I wouldn't loan a cd to.

Exactly. The responses here just go to prove the unhealthy emotional attachment to some electronics, plastic and glass.

So you wouldn't mind sending me all your photographic gear? I'll pay the postage ;).

I mean, it's not like you have a unhealthy emotional attachment to it? It's only plastic and glass :LOL:.

So you wouldn't mind sending me all your photographic gear? I'll pay the postage ;).

I mean, it's not like you have a unhealthy emotional attachment to it? It's only plastic and glass :LOL:.

Totally different, I don't know you from Adam. Family and friends, I would not have an issue lending my kit to them, have lent my studio lights to a couple of friends, my rz to a mate for a weekend, even my kids use my kit when they want to. And have done from a relatively young age, six or seven iirc.

Think this whole issue revolves around a) the value of your kit, b) how well you actually know the person making the request, c) the specific insurance cover you have for the circumstances.
Without proper and valid insurance cover there is no way I would loan £1-£3k+ worth of camera out for the day.

Totally different, I don't know you from Adam. .

Ah, so you do have an attachment to it then? I did think it strange that a photographer had no attachment to his (expensive) equipment that he uses for his hobby or profession.

Ah, so you do have an attachment to it then? I did think it strange that a photographer had no attachment to his (expensive) equipment that he uses for his hobby or profession.

But there is a difference in lending to family and friends to someone you don't know. I am amazed at the number of people who won't lend to family or friends.

Think this whole issue revolves around a) the value of your kit, b) how well you actually know the person making the request, c) the specific insurance cover you have for the circumstances.
Without proper and valid insurance cover there is no way I would loan £1-£3k+ worth of camera out for the day.

That's fair enough, although even if I didn't have insurance I would never say no to family, even sister in law or brother in law.

The only time I let anyone other than my mrs shoot with any of my gear is if I'm there at the time, and even then it's at a push. I wouldn't lend my backup 7D and say 24-105 f4L to anyone, I'm looking at around £1200 worth and nobody is going to want to pay that if they damage it. If they could afford to pay you for damages they could afford to go out and buy a decent compact or bridge camera for themselves.

The only time my gear gets loaned out would be to someone who
a) I trust
b) knows how to use it
c) can afford to replace it

Yeah, i'm giving her some training to how to use the basics on the camera. She using it to shoot my nephew (her son) and her friend's wedding as guest.

Will let her know which part can't be touch etc ......

My major concern with lending an expensive item to friends and family (ie. any item I don't mind losing or being broken) is the inevitable fallout when the item does get lost/broken or goes faulty while in the care of the person.

A friend having the financial means to replace it doesn't mean they will, and I have plenty of friends (and family) who would struggle to find even £300 spare to spend on a camera.

The rift these sort of things can cause is best avoided, IMO. If the images from a semi decent compact aren't good enough for the friend/family member then maybe they should buy their own D-SLR.

To a wedding would definitely be on my list of, "Sorry I can't do that" excuses I'm afraid.

To a wedding would definitely be on my list of, "Sorry I can't do that" excuses I'm afraid.

Probably one of the worst places, a little jostling and a misplaced elbow and camera + lens do a drop test to the floor.

And then sister in law says "but it wasn't my fault, XXXX bumped me and he caused it to fall and smash".

I normally don't loan my gear to another person but this time I got no choice because my sis in-law wanted to borrow a camera for a day.

Of course i got bunch of lens and 2 cameras and she just wanted something small and light to use. I have gears like Grip D300, grip D7000, 70-200 f2.8, 24-70 f2.8, tamron 17-50 f2.8, 35mm f1.8, 50 f1.8, 24 f2.8, 105mm f2.8.

Of course she is not borrowing my d300 due to weight and i didn't tell her i have a 70-200 and 24-70. Prime lens is big no no to her due to not zoom able.

So only my d7000 and tamron 17-50 f2.8.

Most likely the grip will be taken out and lens will be attached with the camera.

Any tips for me to loan equipment out?

Just say sorry, I suddenly need my gear 24/7. Something trivial has turned up.

Probably one of the worst places, a little jostling and a misplaced elbow and camera + lens do a drop test to the floor.

And then sister in law says "but it wasn't my fault, XXXX bumped me and he caused it to fall and smash".

Not to mention alcohol...

If she's only using the basic settings, she might be better off with a compact?

My sister once asked to borrow a camera.
I said no. No reasons necessary.

The people I told the little story to couldn't believe she would even ask.

Bottom line is, would she buy me a new one if something happened to it?! No. So the answer is... no :)

With family borrowing things if I can trust someone enough to look after my kid then I'd trust them to hold a piece of plastic and glass for a few hours. I'd loan it without worry.

I wouldn't lend mine to my sister in law. She can borrow my brother's if she needs a DSLR, what with them being married it must be more convenient to get his from the cupboard in the study, rather than coming 150 odd miles to collect mine :p

Another danger with lending kit out is...

They might take better shots than you :eek:

Are you my brother in law I didn't know I had?

And as I said, I have no emotional attachment to material things - cameras, guitars, bikes, cars are all things I enjoy and have an interest in but they are still no more than material possessions that can be replaced tomorrow.

When it comes down to it, material objects just aren't that important and the world would be a better place if more people felt that and got their priorities right...

but they are still no more than material possessions that can be replaced tomorrow.
How nice it must be to have such vast amounts of disposable money,I'm sure not everyone would be in that same position if an accident occurred with their equipment if loaned out!

How nice it must be to have such vast amounts of disposable money,I'm sure not everyone would be in that same position if an accident occurred with their equipment if loaned out!

I only buy what I can afford, which means I can afford to replace it.

We all have vast amounts of disposable income, if you didn't you wouldn't even be dreaming of spending £1,000s on camera gear and be more worried about having money for your next meal...

Are you my brother in law I didn't know I had?

And as I said, I have no emotional attachment to material things - cameras, guitars, bikes, cars are all things I enjoy and have an interest in but they are still no more than material possessions that can be replaced tomorrow.

When it comes down to it, material objects just aren't that important and the world would be a better place if more people felt that and got their priorities right...

Would you loan your car out to your sister in law if you knew she wasn't insured (legal issues aside?) and was unfamiliar with driving?

We all have vast amounts of disposable income, if you didn't you wouldn't even be dreaming of spending £1,000s on camera gear and be more worried about having money for your next meal...

Being able to afford it in the fist place and being able to afford replacing it when some hamfisted fool breaks it are two separate things ;)

Would you loan your car out to your sister in law if you knew she wasn't insured (legal issues aside?) and was unfamiliar with driving?

Totally different in my opinion, but if she had a license and insurance then yes I would, insurance because it is a legal requirement

It usually definitely no for me to lend equipment out but this time it gets tricky because i own my brother a big favour.

I will make it clear before you takes it off me that i don't want XYZ to my equipment. Also the D7000 is the only camera i got to shoot video work. My D300 don't do video.

I only buy what I can afford also...which doesnt mean I can afford to replace it.

I'm not sure I can answer this without it seeming rude, if it does I apologise in advance as it isn't personal but I'm struggling for words.

I have news for you, "we all" dont have "vast amounts of disposable income", there was a poster on this forum a few weeks ago who posted about how he/she was searching around for coppers to go out and buy food. Many people are living at the very edge of their income at present and I deal with people every day who fear for their jobs and their savings.

In the real world 95% of people save for luxuries and it might take take them months or years to afford a £1k camera, anyone who will glibly say that they don't care about £1k of equipment as they can just replace it tomorrow is either lying, was born into a rich family and was never taught the value of money or is an investment banker or similar.

Seriously, you would feel nothing to drop £1000 tomorrow morning because your mate threw your camera in the river? Not one bit of anger or sorrow?

Come on Chris. Pull yourself together.

I have what I could afford. If somebody stole my camera bag I'd be on my compact for about 18 months!

...I wouldn't actually since my compact lives in my bag too :)

I'm not sure I can answer this without it seeming rude, if it does I apologise in advance as it isn't personal but I'm struggling for words.

I have news for you, "we all" dont have "vast amounts of disposable income", there was a poster on this forum a few weeks ago who posted about how he/she was searching around for coppers to go out and buy food. Many people are living at the very edge of their income at present and I deal with people every day who fear for their jobs and their savings.

In the real world 95% of people save for luxuries and it might take take them months or years to afford a £1k camera, anyone who will glibly say that they don't care about £1k of equipment as they can just replace it tomorrow is either lying, was born into a rich family and was never taught the value of money or is an investment banker or similar.

Seriously, you would feel nothing to drop £1000 tomorrow morning because your mate threw your camera in the river? Not one bit of anger or sorrow?

Thank you for wording that so eloquently Dave1. I was struggling with how to respond, but you have put my thoughts down exactly!!

It is all relative. Anyone that can spend £100s or even £1,000s on luxury items has vast disposable income, it is as simple as that. You don't have to have a camera that costs loads, you don't have to have lens that cost loads and so on.

And I find the majority of responses here to show a very sad state our society is in if you can't even lend stuff to the wife of your own brother...

It is all relative. Anyone that can spend £100s or even £1,000s on luxury items has vast disposable income, it is as simple as that. You don't have to have a camera that costs loads, you don't have to have lens that cost loads and so on.

And I find the majority of responses here to show a very sad state our society is in if you can't even lend stuff to the wife of your own brother...

Ah, you're a Communist.

Lol just kidding!

I can't add what Dave hasn't already added, your argument is flawed at best. About half of my equipment was gifted to me, or partially gifted (money toward x or y for birthday or xmas). Lucky, yes, but you cannot judge ones level of camera equipment with ones level of disposable income, or anything else for that matter.

And the argument against lending kit out doesn't mean we are flawed characters, selfish or mean. I'd happily take any photos for my sis in law, for free, and they probably end up being better for it.

It has no reflection on society, I wouldn't let this thread change your opinion of the world, seriously.

Last edited:
Back