Tips to loan equipment to another person?

It is all relative. Anyone that can spend £100s or even £1,000s on luxury items has vast disposable income, it is as simple as that. You don't have to have a camera that costs loads, you don't have to have lens that cost loads and so on.

No, you don't need to have an expensive camera, but what gives anyone the right to judge a person who saved up for a year, or did without a holiday, or walked to work to save the money and then bought the camera and lens of their dreams because that's what they aspired to. That person knows that should something happen to it they will be back on a boot sale Kodak compact for a year or 2.

They might have a luxury item, but they probably gave up a lot of luxuries to get it, because that's what they wanted.

And I find the majority of responses here to show a very sad state our society is in if you can't even lend stuff to the wife of your own brother...

You are out of touch with reality here (your surname isn't Osborne or Cameron, is it ;)), why lend out something that you know your brother can't afford to buy or replace and will cause a family rift if something was to go wrong while his wife had it?

What if someone stole it from her, jostled her and it fell, it just broke because she wasnt sure of what to do and damaged it?

Remember, this is a camera that is owned by a person who saved up and doesn't have ten grand under the bed for rainy days.

It is all relative. Anyone that can spend £100s or even £1,000s on luxury items has vast disposable income, it is as simple as that. You don't have to have a camera that costs loads, you don't have to have lens that cost loads and so on.

And I find the majority of responses here to show a very sad state our society is in if you can't even lend stuff to the wife of your own brother...

Are you for real...

It is all relative. Anyone that can spend £100s or even £1,000s on luxury items has vast disposable income, it is as simple as that.

No, it isn't.

Many people who spend that level of money (not all mind) will have saved for quite some time in order to do so. That is not vast disposable income really, is it?

It's called acceptable risk. If the risk is not acceptable then you don't take it - regardless of who the individual is. It really is that simple.

There are folk in my family who I would gladly lend my gear to, and there are folk who I wouldn't.

Are you for real...

Yes, are you?

I am just happy that I am not related to any of you lot as in times of need I would certainly not be able to depend on you if you can't even lend a camera.

Shakespeare knew all about this predicament

Polonius:
Neither a borrower nor a lender be,
For loan oft loses both itself and friend,
And borrowing dulls the edge of husbandry.

Yes and obviously more grounded than you. I work in construction self employed and some months can go without any work whatsoever so no disposable income no regular income and I also dont buy on credit. Should I spend what I do on camera gear? Probably not but I do and as dave wrote give up other luxuries such as holidays dining out etc. So for me to lend my gear to anyone be it relative or friend and the worst happened I just wouldnt be able to replace it. If I had plenty of cash and could easily replace my gear then of course I would no question but sadly not in that position.

I've loaned equipment to people I thought could be trusted, and would show respect to my stuff before. I've also had it returned damaged, only to have people I assumed were friends, and fellow, honourable professionals, try to blag their way out of it or pretend it was already broken when I loaned it to them.

I lend nothing to anyone now. No exceptions.. ever.

Yes, are you?

I am just happy that I am not related to any of you lot as in times of need I would certainly not be able to depend on you if you can't even lend a camera.

It's OK, we're happy we're not related to you as well.

Being dependable and not loaning photo equipment are very different things.

Dave, Stuart H, Jim and a few others. I would just like to say thankyou for the way you worded your replies, if I'd answered to that arguement with my thoughts then I'd more than likely had some time off through suspension. I got most of my camera equipment after receiving a legacy after my grandmother died, I decided to get something I could remember her by, and I most certainly DO NOT have loads of disposable income to replace it is someone else breaks it. If I break it I am insured so it's not such a problem, and like many others I would be more than happy to take some photos for my sis in law for nothing, but not lend it out.

Pookeyhead said:
I've loaned equipment to people I thought could be trusted, and would show respect to my stuff before. I've also had it returned damaged, only to have people I assumed were friends, and fellow, honourable professionals, try to blag their way out of it or pretend it was already broken when I loaned it to them.

I lend nothing to anyone now. No exceptions.. ever.

I had the good fortune of being lent a lens to try by a forum member here. I treated it as I would my own. The lender was very trusting, to the point where I felt uneasy at him not having more of my contact details. I understand the viewpoint of being burned before though.

Would I lend my camera to my sister in law. Yes I would. Not my D800 mind. But certainly my d90 and a tamron 17-50.

This is because although I love the d90, I love my family :puke: and ultimately the d90 isn't worth falling out over. I'd say no if she asked for the d800. Also I think she would see how apprehensive I'd be about loaning out the d800 and would naturally steer away from asking. I wouldn't lend what I'd be really, really upset about losing.

The disposable income thing is a moot point. Everybody makes relative choices. It's not for me to say what's the right choice with people's incomes eg people who smoke 20/day but struggle to pay bills and put food on the table or a person who has a 35k car but lives in a 60k house. It's very personal what people choose to spend the money on and if they're happy with their choices, then it's not for us to judge.

All IMVHO of course

S

Yes, are you?

Do you give money to Every beggar you see?

Doubt it.

So where do you draw the line with charity? Brother, sister in law? Sister in law's father...

The fact that you would lend a family member a camera but wouldn't give a beggar money makes you more dependable? Dependable to who...the beggar?

Be dependant on yourself because you are the one that was able to afford whatever it is.

Not lending to family is quite harsh.

I've lent my gear to people multiple times (not just family) and touch wood, have had no problems. My gear has even been to the other side of the world without me!

The way I see it as long as you know they can afford to pay you back / you feel you can get the money for damage or loss off of them, then I go for it. Obviously I have to trust them too (and know where they live ;) )

You never know when you might need a favour back.

crofter said:
If everyone has vast amounts of disposable income then they can go and buy their own camera and not ask to borrow mine.

Just because people want to try them doesn't mean they want to buy them!

Last edited:

I've lent my gear to people multiple times (not just family) and touch wood, have had no problems.

Sounds like you feel lucky nothing bad has happened...I think those (like me) that don't lend stuff to family that don't have a clue about my gear is that we wouldn't want to take the risk.

You don't need any "tips to loan equipment". It's your stuff, if you want to lend it to someone, lend it, if you don't, don't. It really is that simple.

What other people would do is irrelevant, as they don't know you, nor do they know your sister-in-law.

+1

Not so. Have you heard of saving up or using credit?

I've lent my gear to people multiple times (not just family)

So have I, but only items that I don't mind getting lost or broken. I also don't see the point in lending out a DSLR to a novice who doesn't have one of their own, they will get better results from a decent compact.

Are we really reduced to this?

People who cannot make a decision without asking for help. Might not be the nanny state but it isn't the nanny forum either.

Notwithstanding that we then get 4 pages of bickering and how some people are going to hell for their lack of charity.

It is up to the individual surely.
</rant> :)

Ridiculous ... people posting questions on a forum ... even worse people debating it, who knows where this will lead?

Ridiculous ... people posting questions on a forum ... even worse people debating it, who knows where this will lead?
Yeah, but some people can`t go to the toilet without being told how to do it or asking advice about how to do it.

I think we need a Quiet Room for some members.

Yeah, but some people can`t go to the toilet without being told how to do it or asking advice about how to do it.

good point! What would you say is the best way to do it?

:LOL::wacky:

good point! What would you say is the best way to do it?

:LOL::wacky:

I defer you to the master of the bathroom ceremonies..................Mr Scrivens........:D

Just realise i got a Tamron 19-35 f3.5-5.6 lens at home, i think i will let her use this instead of the tamron 17-50 f2.8 lol.

Is not like she will noticed the different between focal and shaprness

Give her a cheap compact.

She probably won't know the difference.

Just realise i got a Tamron 19-35 f3.5-5.6 lens at home, i think i will let her use this instead of the tamron 17-50 f2.8 lol.

Is not like she will noticed the different between focal and shaprness

There's a danger here too... :puke: :D

Make sure that you explain the AF and MF switch and when and when not to turn the focus ring... When I lent my DSLR+lens to someone the first thing they did was manually turn the focus ring in AF and there was an awful noise from the lens that almost drowned out my "NOOOOOOOO!!!!" :crying: :help: :crying:

For the uninitiated USM/HSM/Fly by wire lenses are much less likely to be damaged :D

A guy I know loosely at work has lent me his 70-200mm F2.8 Vr1 on five occasions (9 weeks in total) & I'm glad to say he is still fine to lend me his kit... - but not his 24-70mm F2.8 - that is his working lens...

I lent my D70 & a 55-200mm to my mother in law for an Austrailian trip. She hated it - lol...

This thread has gone between funny & sad, ocasionally meandering inbetween.

I borrow and loan stuff between my dad and I often. I've currently got his 5d mkII in the corner of the room. Difference is we've both been shooting using canon for 10 years for me and 30+ for him so it's not a big deal.

I'm hesitant to let my wife use my DSLR, and there is no way I'd let it out of my sight with anyone I didn't know could use it and treat it properly.

Having said all that. Surely if you spent some time and showed her how to use it you could lend it out.... I'd be stressing how expensive the gear was though.

Last edited:
I wouldn't have a problem lending stuff to my brother, or a person I'm shooting besides etc (basically someone I trust and knows what to do with what I give them), just not someone who knows Jack about what they are handling and doesn't have the level of care for it that I require.

That goes for anything I own.

A guy I know loosely at work has lent me his 70-200mm F2.8 Vr1 on five occasions (9 weeks in total) & I'm glad to say he is still fine to lend me his kit... -

I borrow and loan stuff between my dad and I often. I've currently got his 5d mkII in the corner of the room.

Could I ask, what would you do if you lost it? Or if it was broken, stolen or became faulty while you had it?

Would you be able to go out tomorrow and buy a replacement, or would you just hope to work something out with the owner?

Not meant to be provocative, just trying to explore the rationale of expensive borrowing.

Could I ask, what would you do if you lost it? Or if it was broken, stolen or became faulty while you had it?

Would you be able to go out tomorrow and buy a replacement, or would you just hope to work something out with the owner?

Not meant to be provocative, just trying to explore the rationale of expensive borrowing.

Same as if you'd rented it.

Or

If I broke it through being negligent or clumsy I'd buy them another one if no suitable insurance was in place, or pay repair costs.

If it developed a fault that was nothing to do with me using it id explain it to the owner and see what we could do to resolve it.

I wouldn't borrow a 1DX and 400 2.8 and go shooting somewhere wet slippery and hazardous. Whereas I would borrow them to shoot sports on a sunny dry day. I'd asses the risks and if the price was more than I could afford to pay back, take out insurance.

I'd hope anyone borrowing off of me would do the same, and make sure they had the finances or insurance in place to pay for any possible repairs or losses.

Not provocative at all.

As it's my dad's I'd sort it out on his insurance and I'd cover the excess.

Not provocative at all.

As it's my dad's I'd sort it out on his insurance and I'd cover the excess.

and then he will face premium increases... just pointing out

You don't need any "tips to loan equipment". It's your stuff, if you want to lend it to someone, lend it, if you don't, don't. It really is that simple.

What other people would do is irrelevant, as they don't know you, nor do they know your sister-in-law.

balme the OP. i think it is a strange topic for the above reasons

Back