TLR recommendations?

...and don't forget folks if film stays popular and you get any VG camera at a good price then in the foreseeable future you would get your money back, so you would be using a camera for free if you ever decide film is not for you.

...and don't forget folks if film stays popular and you get any VG camera at a good price then in the foreseeable future you would get your money back, so you would be using a camera for free if you ever decide film is not for you.
Most of my camera collection is worth two to three times what I paid which adds up to a lot more than Bestbeloved thinks.

Where abouts in the East Midlands are you? I do occasionally get up to Northampton so could possibly meet if you wanted to have a look at a C220 or C330 or Yashica 124G or 635.

We'll the reason for no updates for a couple of days is a TLR decision had been made and it arrived this morning:

IMG_20221018_105223469.jpg

Purchased from the forum for sale section - a Mamiya C3 and 80mm lens

I've only had a quick play but I'm completely overwhelmed by the improvement in build and quality from the Lubitel 166B. The ease of focusing on the C3 is unbelievable. Yes, I had to check it does focus down to 20cm with the aid of a steel rule.

I had 2 heart stopping moments where I thought I'd broken it though. One was not setting the main knob to unlock (the seller had fully stated the indicator was loose but lock and unlock were in full working order) and the second was trying to fire it without a film in and not putting it in sheet film mode.

There are plenty of things for me to get used to but the main one currently is shutter firing - it seems to take a little more pressure than I was expecting. Anyway tomorrow a test roll of Foma 100 is going through it and then assuming no issues once I've dev'd the film the camera is being wrapped up until my early December birthday.

I've thanked numerous people for responses to this thread but an honourable mention goes to @lindsay for assisting me with my understanding of the forum rules on purchasing and also other valuable support by PM.

However the biggest thanks must go to my Mum and my ever understanding wife who are contributing to a large percentage of the purchase price as my birthday present.

Last edited:
If you're keen on close ups with the new C3, you might want to keep an eye open for a paramender for it. It won't fix a broken para (or even a loose indicator :)), but it will correct for parallax by raising the camera after focusing and composing to place the taking lens where the viewing lens was. I don't know what they might cost now - I was given one years ago.

Well done. My C330 arrived this morning too, so I will be getting film loaded as soon as I get a chance. Good luck with your new toy.

The really GREAT thing about the Mamiya C cameras is that they take interchangeable lenses - so there's always more you can buy :exit:

If you're keen on close ups with the new C3, you might want to keep an eye open for a paramender for it. It won't fix a broken para (or even a loose indicator :)), but it will correct for parallax by raising the camera after focusing and composing to place the taking lens where the viewing lens was. I don't know what they might cost now - I was given one years ago.
It's good to have the option to get into using the camera for close ups if I fancy. At this point it was more wonderment at owning a camera that can focus closer than 1.2 - 0.9m!

The really GREAT thing about the Mamiya C cameras is that they take interchangeable lenses - so there's always more you can buy :exit:

Hehe! BUT one of the reasons for my choosing a Mamiya C camera is that their are lots of options to build a very versatile camera system if I really get into it.

My brief forays exploring said options is already leading me into temptation...

Last edited:
Could I ask some clarification re my new C3 please? The manual (donation made to Buktus) refers to item "22. Lens shutter assembly change knob". This is the knob with the red pointer.

IMG_20221018_211014442.jpg

However in the above position the internal "flap" is open which I would consider unlocked and allow me to expose a shot on the film.

IMG_20221018_212034170.jpg
To show flap open.

However when the flap is closed the knob red pointer shows as unlocked (see below) which seems counterintuitive to me, am I missing something?

IMG_20221018_211049419.jpg

However it is worth noting that the whole of the outer dial spins - see below (in manual this is referred is to "27. Filmspeed ASA Dial" - I bought the camera knowing this outer dial was loose. Is this loose dial affecting my understanding of the Lock and Unlock setting of the red arrowed knob?

IMG_20221018_214657665.jpg

As I can't set the film speed on the indicator i can't see how this will affect my choice of film whether 50, 200, 400 ISO etc. I can't see how this affects anything especially as I can't see how this can be connected to the fully separate lens. Is this part just a visual reminder of film speed?

Film speed indicator apart everything operates and should take good pictures. I just can't get my head around these 2 parts labeled in the manual 22 and 17. Any clarification would be very helpful.

The shutter is in the lens, not the camera, hence in the absence of interchangeable lenses, there should be no obstruction. However, when you take the lens off, light can come in through the hole and expose the film. Hence, the film needs to be protected before the lens is removed. Hence, flap down means lens can come off - unlocked.

No exposure meter, so just a film speed reminder.

The shutter is in the lens, not the camera, hence in the absence of interchangeable lenses, there should be no obstruction. However, when you take the lens off, light can come in through the hole and expose the film. Hence, the film needs to be protected before the lens is removed. Hence, flap down means lens can come off - unlocked.

No exposure meter, so just a film speed reminder.
Perfect, thanks v much- being as I've only got the 80mm lens i'll leave the flap in the lock position.

PS now I've got the manual I actually know what a paramender is :)

I think there might be a C3 for sale on here actually. I believe the lenses are interchangeable but double check.

I know that Newton & Ellis in Liverpool will service a TLR, I was lucky mine didn't need it but I have used them for many other cameras.

Here's a pic of mine.

Mamiya C3
Hitech in Stoke will service Mamiyaflexes. They fixed a C330f for me recently.

Oops, I thought you were in this thread.

Sorry!

Oops, I thought you were in this thread.

Sorry!

No problem at all

We'll the reason for no updates for a couple of days is a TLR decision had been made and it arrived this morning:

View attachment 370602

Purchased from the forum for sale section - a Mamiya C3 and 80mm lens

I've only had a quick play but I'm completely overwhelmed by the improvement in build and quality from the Lubitel 166B. The ease of focusing on the C3 is unbelievable. Yes, I had to check it does focus down to 20cm with the aid of a steel rule.

I had 2 heart stopping moments where I thought I'd broken it though. One was not setting the main knob to unlock (the seller had fully stated the indicator was loose but lock and unlock were in full working order) and the second was trying to fire it without a film in and not putting it in sheet film mode.

There are plenty of things for me to get used to but the main one currently is shutter firing - it seems to take a little more pressure than I was expecting. Anyway tomorrow a test roll of Foma 100 is going through it and then assuming no issues once I've dev'd the film the camera is being wrapped up until my early December birthday.

I've thanked numerous people for responses to this thread but an honourable mention goes to @lindsay for assisting me with my understanding of the forum rules on purchasing and also other valuable support by PM.

However the biggest thanks must go to my Mum and my ever understanding wife who are contributing to a large percentage of the purchase price as my birthday present.
Sensible choice (y) My old joke is:- you need to take three TLR Rolleis with you for a versatile shoot...a wide angle, a tele and the normal one. ;)

A test roll has just gone through the C3. Will dev film tomorrow.

Couple of mistakes:
1. Read the manual, loaded the film. Surely that's too easy I think. I'm used to winding on slowly and delicately to see all the backing paper start markings and then straining to the see the frame numbers through a little red window. I thus wind the film on the C3 further than the manual states and then close the rear. The C3 is cleverer than me as when the rear door is closed you wind the handle and the camera magically lines up for frame 1. I reckon I've lost 2 shots min. Ah well won't do that next time.

2. I was still not getting the shutter to release correctly at all times. A couple of times the shutter didn't fire even though cocked correctly. After safely removing the exposed film I practiced firing the shutter again at all the speeds. I realise what I've been doing wrong - jabbing at the shutter release. A smooth, gentle press of the shutter release and it works every time. What a relief!

I've been looking at an case for the C3. There seems to be 2 versions of the official case, an Eveready full leather and the same in soft leather. There are a couple of the full leather versions on an action site.

Will a case for a C33 or a C330 also fit?

Any there any third-party specific cases for the camera currently available? A t'internet search suggests not.

The subject of TLRs reminded me of the first one I used, I'm sure a Lomo guy would love to use it:-

Will a case for a C33 or a C330 also fit?
Yes.

Mind you, I tried a case on my C330 in a shop once but didn't buy, It was very unwieldy, I just stuck with the old plastic bag for keeping the rain off! :naughty:

The Mamiya C220 is often overlooked, uses the same lenses as the bigger, heavier, higher spec’d C330, you have to manually click the shutter unlike the 330 but once you’ve got the hang of it it’s a very capable camera.

I still have my C220, a wonderful TLR. Bought used many years ago to replace a 124G that was wrecked when on a tripod that a heavy wind blew over. With a C220 you have the flexibility of using interchangeable lenses. I have the 55mm, my favourite, and the 80 and 180mm lenses. I also tracked down a gadget that lets you effectively use the smaller Cokin filters. If fixes to the lens, and the holder for the filter lets you adjust an ND grad through the viewing lens, then swing it down over the taking lens. The C220 is so versatile unless you need to change focusing screens as in the C330. Cocking the shutter is no hassle, it's just the same as you would do with LF lenses or many folding cameras.

Yes.

Mind you, I tried a case on my C330 in a shop once but didn't buy, It was very unwieldy, I just stuck with the old plastic bag for keeping the rain off! :naughty:
Thanks. My issue is of course I can't go into a shop and try one! £60 from an auction site to try one and then find it's unwieldy seems unwise. The camera currently lives in the box and bubble wrap it came in.

I might just buy a generic dslr camera bag of roughly the same internal dimensions as the size of the camera - my mum has a few of these camera bags I can at least try.

So test film dev'd a couple of hours ago. I certainly have images which is great.

IMG_20221023_185258170.jpg

However I also have a light leak on all the image (see left side of image).

IMG_20221023_185309381.jpg

I've conversed with the seller who had no light leak issues when the camera was last used a few months ago. The seller also helpfully sent me images taken on the camera which is all re-assuring.

I'll try another Foma test roll through the camera making sure the lens is correctly seated (I've had the lens off "to have a look !") and the rear door is properly closed on both sides. I'll also double check I'm not doing anything wrong loading and unloading the film as well during my dev process.

Last edited:
Are those light leaks? I'd expect them to be dark and also on the rebate, not just the images. Unless I'm looking at the wrong thing?

If I were to hazard a guess, I’d suggest that it could be that that left side of the negatives is underdeveloped - perhaps because there was insufficient developer in the tank.

Last edited:
Light leaks should be dark...

On cases, I don't have cases for cameras (exceptions: my Exakta and my metal Canhams which came with them). I keep camera and lenses in camera bags - my C330f and lenses are in one bag to make it easy to take them out together.

Thanks @FishyFish

You might be right there! I'd mixed up a fresh batch of ID11 and was impatient to get the temp down to 20°c so just cooled down 500ml of dev in a cold water bath leaving the other half alone to cool naturally. Maybe that's it but I'd assumed that amount would be enough to cover the 120 reel in a 2 x 35mm AP tank.

As well as all trying everything in my 9.25pm post I'll also re-read the correct volume for the AP tank too.

Last edited:
As I read the fotoimpex page (first I found) it looks like 600ml...

Thanks. My issue is of course I can't go into a shop and try one! £60 from an auction site to try one and then find it's unwieldy seems unwise. The camera currently lives in the box and bubble wrap it came in.

I might just buy a generic dslr camera bag of roughly the same internal dimensions as the size of the camera - my mum has a few of these camera bags I can at least try.
I use a cheap bag from Amanoz (https://www.amazon.co.uk/AmazonBasi...&sprefix=camera+bag,aps,75&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1) for my C330f, it's a perfect fit with room for film, filters and other bits.

IMG_1275.jpg

I repurposed one of my wife's Troop canvas bags (which I waterproofed with wax) and put a Tenba insert inside. I carry my C3 in that and it has room for film and extra lenses too. The C3 also fits in an old DSLR bag I inherited.

I bought a leather strap set for the C3 from deadcameras in Portugal. It is very comfortable around my neck (despite the weight of the C3) and I have on occasion just used the hand strap and a carried a tripod to a shoot.

If you need any lens caps you can get these 3D printed ones which I can attest to being a very good fit and sturdy.

Thanks @moggi1964 for the link to get lens caps - I was debating about some on the bay that were twice as much!
I'm also looking at/for bags for my newly acquired C330 (which I love)

I repurposed one of my wife's Troop canvas bags (which I waterproofed with wax) and put a Tenba insert inside. I carry my C3 in that and it has room for film and extra lenses too. The C3 also fits in an old DSLR bag I inherited.

I bought a leather strap set for the C3 from deadcameras in Portugal. It is very comfortable around my neck (despite the weight of the C3) and I have on occasion just used the hand strap and a carried a tripod to a shoot.

If you need any lens caps you can get these 3D printed ones which I can attest to being a very good fit and sturdy.
The Forster caps are very good, I have a few in place of the outrageously pricy originals.

Last edited:
Back