Today`s Rant

Ive had one caravan holiday in my life and will never have one again, we hired the caravan off a family friend for a very small amount, they towed it to the site for us, but, the shower didnt work, the toilet could only be used for peeing, the hot water worked when it wanted to and the "lounge" end where i ended up sleeping leaked on my feet and i woke up freezing! Oh and the slightest breath of wind made it rattle and rock to the point i thought it was going to take off! I'll stick to holidaying in places with foundations from now on thanks

i can sympathise - my first job i lived on site in one for 3 months - cold, uncomfortable, cramped - after 3 months i got my boss to take it away and put up a yurt instead - a major major improvement (not least because i could run a log burner) - course security was a downside but then caravans arent exactly secure either ( i used to keep my valuable stuff in one of those steel site safes)

As a matter of fact I do :D nearly every day on the Motorway hence the thread. And that reply gives me a feeling that you pull sheds in your spare time :LOL:

Nope!... Not a Caravan but I do have a motorhome or camper van if you prefer ;) I've just done a quick summing up of it's use for one year.

Cost £30k
fuel £30 per week (average)
Running £2k pa
site fees £10 per night (average)
Nights spent away over the last year 160

:puke: ... £1560 + £2k + £1600 = £5160 .... Add cost of van etc... cheap IMHO :D

And guess what? .... I'm not in the slightest bothered if someone else feels upset or held up on the roads. I get convenience, fantastic locations, dark skies, good neighbours (usually) .... And freedom .... Brilliant!

160 nights away in a basic hotel @ £40 = £6400 + fuel + running + Bedbugs + hotel staff + poor location + noise + expensive food. :shake:

No comparison really :cool:

People towing Caravans:D The season is well upon us now and we have to endure the usual congestion that these Morons create

Snip

Talking of their 3.5ltr 4x4`s, do they realise that the object they are towing is slapping the carp out of all the other vehicles whilst they are in the middle lane overtaking at speeds of 70mph and above

If the caravaners are causing congestion at 70mph there's something fundamentally wrong with the way everyone else is driving!

That aside, the moron is normally the person in the vehicle directly behind the caravan who won't/can't overtake and won't leave room for others to do it.

If the caravaners are causing congestion at 70mph there's something fundamentally wrong with the way everyone else is driving!

That aside, the moron is normally the person in the vehicle directly behind the caravan who won't/can't overtake and won't leave room for others to do it.

I see no mention in my statement you quoted which say`s the caravan is holding up traffic doing 70mph in the middle lane :shrug: That in fact is a seperate issue. Just in case you need to brush up on your highway code then take alook at the legal speed limits :D http://www.smartdriving.co.uk/Driving/DefensiveDriving/Speed/UK_Speed_limits.html 70mph is NOT a safe speed to be towing a caravan or trailer on any road. If being towed by a large 4x4 this imo makes it more of a reason not to do it as anything going wrong on the back would be felt less than using a smaller vehicle.

Lorry drivers are most definately more dangerous than caravan towers. My mum was passing a 7 1/2 tonner a few

bit of a sweeping statement about lorry drivers ,,,then you go on about a 7 1/2 tonner ,,,,

7 1/2 tonner = big ( white ) van :LOL:

On another note, they may be slow but the money generated by the touring caravan industry here in the UK is increadable, here are the figures from 2003 (the latest I could find) and I know the incease in the mid 2000's was huge.
Q. What is the caravanning industry worth in this country?

A. In 2003, it was estimated the cost of sales (new and used) and expenditure on holidays totalled in excess of £3 billion. It is likely that this figure will be significantly higher in 2004 and if the cost of other related purchases and services were included.
Plenty more here

So maybe next time you are getting irate behind a caravan you ought to consider what the UK economy would be like without them on the road and the ammount of people who are employed in the industry as a whole.

There are a lot of peeps in this thread with..."problems"

Speaking of agricultural vehicles, I know a young lad who at 18 having past his test found the cheapest insurance he could get for his 1000cc 206 was £1900.
So he sold that, bought a tractor, drives to college in it, pays £19 a year for insurance, no road tax and 40p a litre for diesel..:|

He is pulling your leg if he is telling you thats what he is paying on both the insurance and the cost of red diesel.

Last edited:
I see no mention in my statement you quoted which say`s the caravan is holding up traffic doing 70mph in the middle lane :shrug: That in fact is a seperate issue. Just in case you need to brush up on your highway code then take alook at the legal speed limits :D http://www.smartdriving.co.uk/Driving/DefensiveDriving/Speed/UK_Speed_limits.html 70mph is NOT a safe speed to be towing a caravan or trailer on any road. If being towed by a large 4x4 this imo makes it more of a reason not to do it as anything going wrong on the back would be felt less than using a smaller vehicle.

You see no mention yet I quoted direct from your original post? your subject is/was caravans causing congestion and you mentioned the towing at speed thing. If you changed subjects halfway through I'm sorry but that's not very clear, maybe more punctuation and less smileys would have helped ;) :)

You see no mention yet I quoted direct from your original post? your subject is/was caravans causing congestion and you mentioned the towing at speed thing. If you changed subjects halfway through I'm sorry but that's not very clear, maybe more punctuation and less smileys would have helped ;) :)

Punctuation aint my thing along with grammar :D
Thread Title = Today`s Rant
Subject matter = people towing caravans

When did I change subjects halfway through :shrug: The very last sentance and I quote " As for them on the A or B roads I think that there should be check points set up and any of them caught to be creating a queue of traffic of more than a certain amount should be pulled in and given an on the spot fine.
(y)

Assuming caravanning adds 3 billion to the economy how much does their congestion cause in lost business and time wasted?? Without knowing that it could be a net loss or a net gain.

Don't think many do realise you have to take a towing test now. I wouldn't even know where you'd go to do it. I passed before so wouldn't need it but I think it would actually be something useful to learn anyway.

weekend gypsies....
If you want the experience of the outdoor living - go camping.
If you want all the creature comforts with you - stay in a hotel!

Worst are lorry drivers that hog the middle lane on a motorway mile after mile trying to overtake another lorry. There should be a law restricting lorries to the inside lane only.

Realspeed

Then watch the price of your goods go up even further Bazza :LOL: What happens when a lorry or articulated lorry approaches a junction on the motorway which has vehicles queued up? Do they sit there and wait so they can carry on in the inside lane? A lot of heavy goods vehicles doing around 60mph on the inside lane will gradually approach the vehicle in front doing a slightly slower speed, the driver has the right to overtake that slower vehicle just like anybody else, they are by law not allowed in the outside lane whereas in a car you are. If you are travelling faster than them then under normal circumstances you would overtake them using the middle lane, so where is the hardship in using the outside lane to do the same thing :shrug: In a car you can drop a gear accelerate and make your move, the majority of lorries can not do this due to the way they are geared, so keeping it at a constant speed without having to go down through the gearbox is the most efficient way of driving the vehicle, keeping costs down is what it is all about. I have seen cars pull out of junctions in the past and have forced an HGV to brake heavily. First of all that kind of move can cause damage to the goods being carried, and secondly the amount of fuel used for that lorry to get back up through the gearbox and carry on at a steady pace is quite alarming. None of us are perfect when driving on the roads and I think some video re-construction shown as part of your test might give people an insight as to the effect they cause when doing some of these things :shrug:

My two seater isn't what I'd call small, and the emissions cost me £445 in VEL a year, saying that, it does have the go to nip past car/trailer combos in short gaps.
What do you race?

My two seater costs me £205 in VED, but that's because it is 2000 vintage so predates emissions based VED charging ;). It would be in the top band if it didn't and certainly has plenty of go :D

My race car is a Davrian, but I only use it for sprints and hillclimbs as I have a phobia about getting caught up in someone else's accident - don't mind if I bin it but would be very upset if someone else biined it for me. Also building a Clan crusader stage rally car at the moment.

70mph is NOT a safe speed to be towing a caravan or trailer on any road.

Whatever the law says, it is perfectly possible to tow safely at 70mph, just like it is perfectly possible to drive safely at 100mph. The most important thing is to load the trailer / caravan properly to get the right weight distribution. Fishtailing means the noseweight is wrong.

My tow vehicle won't do 70 without the trailer hitched up never mind with, so I won't be breaking any towing speed limits :LOL:

Whatever the law says, it is perfectly possible to tow safely at 70mph, just like it is perfectly possible to drive safely at 100mph. The most important thing is to load the trailer / caravan properly to get the right weight distribution. Fishtailing means the noseweight is wrong.

My tow vehicle won't do 70 without the trailer hitched up never mind with, so I won't be breaking any towing speed limits :LOL:
There's also a problem with underweight cars towing caravans - IMO a 2.5 ton 4x4 is a far better towing vehicle than a lightweight car, even if the smaller car has more theoretical power.

Fact of the matter is, there are laws relating to the ratio of towing/towed vehicle and gross train weights, plus noseweights. There are also laws which require drivers who have passed their car test after a certain date to pass a trailer test, so the whole thing is covered by legislation that seems to me to be ignored by a lot of people. Maybe it would be better for everyone (except caravaners perhaps):) if the police enforced these laws better.

I've just done a quick summing up of it's use for one year.

Cost £30k
fuel £30 per week (average)
Running £2k pa
site fees £10 per night (average)
Nights spent away over the last year 160

:puke: ... £1560 + £2k + £1600 = £5160 .... Add cost of van etc... cheap IMHO :D

:

your maths doesnt add up because you havent made any allowance for the 30k capital cost - if you reckon that on average a caravan's life is ten years and at the end of the ten year period its sold/part exed for about £4k - then you have a net cost of £26k over 10 years ie 2.6k per year

so the total cost is 1560+2000+1600+2600 = £7760

now for you having 160 nights away per year £48.5 per night isnt too, but for anyone who still working and gets an average of four weeks holiday per year it would equate to £277.14 per night which is massively expensive.

and as to your other point that you dont care if other people are inconvenienced - thats a 'great' attitude to have:thumbsdown:

I get massively annoyed by vehicles limited to 55mph. Optimum cruising in the Minor is 60mph, 55mph is awful fuel economy for some reason, and 70mph is just a little too fast and, well.. wobbly.

Another thing is people pulling out of junctions in front of me with barely any time to gain a decent speed to match traffic, so I have to stand on my brakes. I'm still using drum brakes (as the car was built) - they are not the same as modern disc brakes and require just a bit more warning! Though I'm sure modern cars would have to brake just as hard. I feel that they see the Morris coming and go 'old car, must be going 20mph.. i got time..'.

I get plenty of old car discrimination - I live up a rather steep hill, but the Morris can do it at 40mph, which is the limit on that road. I'll be steaming up it quite happily, and some idiot will try to overtake me up this hill - you cannot see what is coming over the brow so its potentially very dangerous. Usually they get alongside me, realise I'm going their maximum speed, and drop back, though a few times I've had to slow down to let them pass, which loses my momentum and I have to drop right down to second gear to get going again!

Agh people.

If you are ****ed off by being stuck behind caravans, buy a faster car so you can overtake (y)

your maths doesnt add up because you havent made any allowance for the 30k capital cost - if you reckon that on average a caravan's life is ten years and at the end of the ten year period its sold/part exed for about £4k - then you have a net cost of £26k over 10 years ie 2.6k per year

so the total cost is 1560+2000+1600+2600 = £7760

now for you having 160 nights away per year £48.5 per night isnt too, but for anyone who still working and gets an average of four weeks holiday per year it would equate to £277.14 per night which is massively expensive.

and as to your other point that you dont care if other people are inconvenienced - thats a 'great' attitude to have:thumbsdown:

Interesting! But if you look at the last line of the bit you quoted I think you'll see it says 'add cost of van etc' i.e. it is expensive. Must admit my maths went wrong somewhere as it should have been 136 nights away which makes it even more expensive ... but then that's a relative term and therefore to me it's very good value for money. Four weeks holiday may be the norm but you have not included bank and statutory holidays, that takes it to thirty two days for me. BTW. I work full time and my point being that camping is a far better option than naff hotels. Each to their own I guess :cool:

bit of a sweeping statement about lorry drivers ,,,then you go on about a 7 1/2 tonner ,,,,

7 1/2 tonner = big ( white ) van :LOL:

didnt mean to be sweeping, but then unfortunately theres a large percentage of the bad ones to the good imho
7 1/2 tonner is a fair bit larger than my mums car so still comes under the category of lorry to me, a transit isnt as imposing if you ask me

didnt mean to be sweeping, but then unfortunately theres a large percentage of the bad ones to the good imho
7 1/2 tonner is a fair bit larger than my mums car so still comes under the category of lorry to me, a transit isnt as imposing if you ask me
7.5 tonners can be driven on a car licence (as long as the driver passed their car test before a certain date) so although obviously not all 7.5 ton drivers are bad, they aren't anywhere near as well qualified as heavy goods drivers.

85.09m. 3 shots but I'll stop there before I get addicted so I wont be too upset if I get beat:crying:;)

The biggest issue for me is on single carriageway roads with the idiot 2 foot behind any vehicle going slowly, refusing to overtake unless it seems there's a Bonneville Salt Flats straight length of road and then if that wasn't enough, there's another moron behind them again leaving no space. This leaves me with an option of doing 30-40mph in a 60 or passing all three vehicles at once. Obviously I take the 2nd option when I can without risks. This also makes it easier to justify having to buy a really powerful car to overtake safely- 1litre cars need not apply:D

85.09m. 3 shots but I'll stop there before I get addicted so I wont be too upset if I get beat:crying:;)

The biggest issue for me is on single carriageway roads with the idiot 2 foot behind any vehicle going slowly, refusing to overtake unless it seems there's a Bonneville Salt Flats straight length of road and then if that wasn't enough, there's another moron behind them again leaving no space. This leaves me with an option of doing 30-40mph in a 60 or passing all three vehicles at once. Obviously I take the 2nd option when I can without risks. This also makes it easier to justify having to buy a really powerful car to overtake safely- 1litre cars need not apply:D

Quite right, people tend to think it is illegal to overtake when the road markings and speed limit allow you too.

Then watch the price of your goods go up even further Bazza :LOL: What happens when a lorry or articulated lorry approaches a junction on the motorway which has vehicles queued up? Do they sit there and wait so they can carry on in the inside lane? A lot of heavy goods vehicles doing around 60mph on the inside lane will gradually approach the vehicle in front doing a slightly slower speed, the driver has the right to overtake that slower vehicle just like anybody else, they are by law not allowed in the outside lane whereas in a car you are. If you are travelling faster than them then under normal circumstances you would overtake them using the middle lane, so where is the hardship in using the outside lane to do the same thing :shrug: In a car you can drop a gear accelerate and make your move, the majority of lorries can not do this due to the way they are geared, so keeping it at a constant speed without having to go down through the gearbox is the most efficient way of driving the vehicle, keeping costs down is what it is all about. I have seen cars pull out of junctions in the past and have forced an HGV to brake heavily. First of all that kind of move can cause damage to the goods being carried, and secondly the amount of fuel used for that lorry to get back up through the gearbox and carry on at a steady pace is quite alarming. None of us are perfect when driving on the roads and I think some video re-construction shown as part of your test might give people an insight as to the effect they cause when doing some of these things :shrug:

What video instruction? when I took my test in 1962 there wasn't such things as videos for the test. Oh by the way I have always had a clean licence.

Realspeed

Last edited:
I'm really enjoying this thread. It's comforting to know that when I'm towing my caravan I'm inconveniencing such a lovely bunch of folk. :) (humour alert)

There will always be idiots who tow a caravan without understanding the basics of towing safety and without consideration to other road users.

Much same as there will always be car drivers who do exactly the same with regard to safety and consideration.

The difference is that when car drivers misbehave it often results in injury or death. I don't know the statistics of deaths caused by caravanning.

well according to Topgear i can pull 4 caravans behind my car :LOL:

and it will handle like its on rails :D

7.5 tonners can be driven on a car licence (as long as the driver passed their car test before a certain date) so although obviously not all 7.5 ton drivers are bad, they aren't anywhere near as well qualified as heavy goods drivers.

Qualifications don't make a good driver - try the M6 most days:wacky:

cyclamens said:
Qualifications don't make a good driver - try the M6 most days:wacky:

M6 :shrug: do it most weeks no worries, now Edgware Rd, London that fun, I do it every few months :LOL:

M6 :shrug: do it most weeks no worries, now Edgware Rd, London that fun, I do it every few months :LOL:

Funny - worked London for 10 years and it never really bothered me although the Edgware road was bad then. But yes I have also been on the M25 at midnight....in a traffic jam:bang:

Aaaaah if only our motorways were like the French ones. Yes you have to pay but you actually can put the Cruise Control on and leave it there for miles(y)

I've been caravanning for the last 12 years or so (not everyday of those 12 years :D ) I tow safely and considerately towards other drivers.
I've had many a mate slag off caravanning to only change their mind when they pop over and see us on site. All admitted to being ignorant about what modern vans have and all have said that they are impressed.
Caravanning isn't a cheap way to holiday. It's a way of spending quality family time together, usually in stunning countryside at a pace that you decide. No working to hotel meal times,no vacating your room in time for the cleaner to come in. No stranger in the room next door. (a beer is always on offer on site and a good chinwag and bbq.)
My wife loves the fact that she can take lots more clothes and that they aren't creased when we get there.
For me, it has helped me spend time with the children away from my business and learn to chill. If I had been at home those weekends, I would have been doing diy, gardening, at work or whatever. Not with my kids.
Don't get me wrong, I use hotels too. Some of the best out there. But for family closeness and fun, you can't beat caravanning.Don't knock it until you've tried it. ;)
Oh and on saturday morning I'll be hitching these two up and spending nearly 3 weeks in France. :D

DSC_4906.jpg

maybe I'll organise a bbq at a british site one day and invite you along. :D:D

Kev.

Last edited:

I'll be towing through the centre of Paris on Saturday, thoroughly enjoy it! :nuts:

Kev.

ZoneV said:
Now I'm not the world's biggest caravan fan but I could settle for one like that!

Same here especially if it comes with an L322 to tow it with, that will be my next move though I could be tempted by the new baby :love:

I should make clear I could get a train to London, but I love driving in London, I just love the challenge of it all it's such good fun, the constant battle to get where you want to go :D :LOL:

I have the same feeling for Paris. "That mad englishman towing that caravan again!!" :D:D Usually on a Saturday late morning. :bonk:

Kev.

Same here especially if it comes with an L322 to tow it with, that will be my next move though I could be tempted by the new baby :love:

New Vogue comes out in 18 months. ;) Lighter, more economical. Looking forward to seeing/roadtesting it. Dealers don't even know what it looks like yet. If you're going to have a RR, it's got to be the Vogue.

Kev.

Back