Todays female kingfisher. Noise reduction comparison added

Name
Tony
Edit My Images
Yes
As this is the first day for a while with any decent light and weather, and probably the last for a while, I thought it would be worth investing a day back at the reed hide where I was fortunate enough to come across a kingfisher last week.

After a short wait of 2½ hours this little beauty showed up. She did'nt do any fishing, it seemed like a territory checking visit.

IMG_2560a.jpg

Thanks for looking, all constructive criticism welcomed :)

Last edited:
Here is some constructive crit for you Ant.
That shot is up there with the best of them imo, well done (y)

Nice work Ant, glad to see you're getting some shots! I know how depressing it can be not doing! :)

Absolutely stunning. Your patience obviously paid off :)

Only 2 1/2 hours wait, You are spoilt. Absolutely stunning shot :clap:

Very nice Ant (y)

(y)(y)

silly question no doubt :( ...... but how can u tell the difference between the sexes ?

Thank you every one for your very kind comments (y) encouraging indeed :)

Hello Pip, never any silly questions on here :) The female has orange under her lower mandible. The males beak is all black.

Juveniles have a white spot on the end of the beak, and the orange on the feamle is only half way along. Also juveniles have dark colour on the front of their feet.

a stunner (y)

Well done indeed - what time was this?

I sat in there for over 5 hours on Sunday - not a shot.

Beautiful image :clap:

Thank you all, much apreciated (y)

It was at about 11.45.03am, today Sarah :) the last one was at just after 2.00pm.

I don't think they're the same bird though.

Matty, did you catch anything worthwhile? There still not predictable, so there's a chance they wont show.

Thanks all for looking and commenting (y)

Ruth I used my 50D with a 100-400L lens at 400mm

1/640s f5.6 ISO400

Thanks JJ :)

I've had it pointed out that there's a fair bit of noise on the left hand side of the piccy.

I've put it through Neat Image noise reduction. Is this an improvement or has it lost too much detail?

The Original

IMG_2560ab.jpg

And After Neat Image noise reduction.

IMG_2560_filtered.jpg

Imo Ant there aint much to choose between the two, and with a stunning image like that in the first place, a small fraction of noise in the background would be the least of my concerns :shrug:

I can see the difference Ant in the feathers on the left hand side no noise in them now well done on that edit it was probably caused by that area being in a shadow then sharpening has caused a bit of noise there

Last edited:
Imo Ant there aint much to choose between the two, and with a stunning image like that in the first place, a small fraction of noise in the background would be the least of my concerns :shrug:

Thanks Rich :)

The noise was actually on the left hand side of the bird, I'd allready adjusted it by selective NR on that area, but it was still showing to a degree.

This time I took the whole piccy through Neat Image, to see if it ruined it alltogether or sorted it out.

I can see the difference Ant in the feathers on the left hand side no noise in them now well done on that edit it was probably caused by that area being in a shadow then sharpening has caused a bit of noise there

Thank you Karen :) I'm so concened at loosing detail sometimes, that I either do oversharpen or leave too much noise in the feathers, so it's a great advantage to me to know that I can use Neat Image and the piccy is still acceptable.

Simply stunning shot Ant, absolutely beautiful :clap::clap::clap:

On one occasion I waited at a local nature reserve for six hours, with the camera focused and composed at a perch and didn't take a single shot, then another time I had a wait of a hour and a half and I was rewarded. Well worth it!!!! :D

Super shot, prefer the one without the noise, cracker!!

lovely shot :)

just a question : have you cloned the background behind it's head, looks odd (also rear of head feathers are kinda spikey (lisa simpson head stylee)

well worth the wait, fantastic shot

Thanks Anthony :)

Simply stunning shot Ant, absolutely beautiful

On one occasion I waited at a local nature reserve for six hours, with the camera focused and composed at a perch and didn't take a single shot, then another time I had a wait of a hour and a half and I was rewarded. Well worth it!!!! :D

Cheers Mark , I agree, it is well worth the wait. I'll no doubt spend a lot more time waiting for the shot I'm after :)

Thats an amazing photo and one I would love to have taken.

Now the one without the noise software looks like it has whit pixels in the background. Am I wrong?:thinking:

john

Thanks John :)

No you're not wrong, when you blow the two up, the background without the noise reduction is definitly the better.

May I ask if you blew them up before you noticed that, or was that obvious from the shot as posted?

Super shot, prefer the one without the noise, cracker!!

Thanks Dawn :)

Really nice shot Ant
Regards
Lost

Cheers Richard. Hope your really busy :)

lovely shot :)

just a question : have you cloned the background behind it's head, looks odd (also rear of head feathers are kinda spikey (lisa simpson head stylee)

Thanks Drew :)

Yes I have cloned out an oof branch that was behind it. The hair style is the same though, no chunks mistakenly cloned from it. I used the magic wand tool to pixel perfection around the head before touching the clone tool.

It has been a tad breezy our way and thats what's caused the spickey odd shapes.

I'll ask you the same question I asked John if I may. Did you blow this up, or did you base your question on the piccy as posted?

Back