• Olympus EM10ii

Votes: 4 28.6%

• Total voters
Name
Darren
Edit My Images
No
Hi fellow Togs,

Okay so I have already had one thread about cameras and after a long research sesh and talks with a couple of staff at various stores as well as actually holding the above cameras I am stuck again only this time I am stuck in the Mirrorless zone!

So I have realistically a budget of £850(ish) for a camera and lens...

I have arrowed it down to the Panasonic G7, G85/G80 and the Olympus EM10ii

Here are the reasons...

Panasonic G7:

I absolutely adore this throwback retro SLR style and look. It reminds me of when I first started out years ago learning on an old Pentak K1000. As well as the looks I think it almost matches the G80 (especially considering the price now) with the exception of the G80 being weather sealed, stacked imaging and a better view finder.

G7 DEAL AT THE MOMENT:

I get the G7 with 4-42mm and 45-150m lenses (I love the latter) for the price of £629.99

Panasonic G80:

Again I love the look of this only not quite as much as the G7 (I just love that silver finish with the black), that being said the G80 is really a good looking mini DSLR in my eyes and it will be an easy camera to become acquainted with as would the G7. However I like the viewfinder which is superb to me on the G80, I like that it has the articulating screen and that it is weather sealed (This is somewhat important but not a straight up deal breaker). I love that this has the post focus feature too and the weight is lovely on top of that I also like the 4K video but the G7 has that too (I think).

G80 DEAL AT THE MOMENT:

I can get the G80 which includes the 12mm-60mm lens, for £749.99

EM10:

This is a last minute addition as I LOVE the style of this again however it hasnt got quite so many features such as the post focus, the stacking and I dont think thisis weather sealed either. I have chosen this abovethe Mk3 because I have read that they removed some of the features from the Mk3.

EM10 Mkii DEAL AT THE MOMENT:

I can get the EM10 Mkii which includes14-42mm and 40-150mm Lenses for £699.99

USAGE:

I have a baby due in April and three other children (all boys godhelp me lol) so a lot of my photography is going to be the baby (not too much action type stuff to start with, portraiture and compositions...I work as a graphic designer and also do montages, collages, andotherstuff (so green screenphotographymay be on the cards at somepoint) but nothing commercial.

I also fancy my hand at some night photography (maybe get some nice milkyway images as Ive always wanted to do that but not full-on astrophotography), I love candid photography so some street stuff will be in the mix with a dash (but not a ton) of landscapes, I also fancy a go at more long exposure stuff.

Final word:

If you think I have made completely the wrong choices, think one stands out amongst the others or anything else please let me know.

Also I want to apologise for the lengthof this I know I can ramble but I want to make the right choice as its a lot of money for me and I wanted to ask the community because although I don't regularly post I am an avid reader and respect this community immensely.

Massive thanks to you all.

NB: If you havent time for a response Ive added a poll for ease thanks.

I would go for the G80, you can get them used for just under £500 in good condition, this would leave you a nice amount for lenses. I'd get a couple of primes instead of the kit lens [though the 12-60 kit lens is pretty decent]

You're forgetting one major improvement the G80 has over the G7 - IBIS, this is the very reason I bought an M43 body. It's really nice to have, I don't rely on it, more make use of the feature. The VF on the G80 is very nice, it's almost like looking through an optical VF it is that clear.

I would get a used G80, or look for a deal on a new body only - which is what I bought. And get a couple of used primes, like the Panasonic 25 1.7 and the Olympus 45mm 1.8. It is very doable with your budget

I agree with Keith, out of the 3 camera's you listed i would grab the G80, i have one and it's fantastic, plus it does some nice 4k video.

I would go for the G80, you can get them used for just under £500 in good condition, this would leave you a nice amount for lenses. I'd get a couple of primes instead of the kit lens [though the 12-60 kit lens is pretty decent]

You're forgetting one major improvement the G80 has over the G7 - IBIS, this is the very reason I bought an M43 body. It's really nice to have, I don't rely on it, more make use of the feature. The VF on the G80 is very nice, it's almost like looking through an optical VF it is that clear.

I would get a used G80, or look for a deal on a new body only - which is what I bought. And get a couple of used primes, like the Panasonic 25 1.7 and the Olympus 45mm 1.8. It is very doable with your budget

Thanks guys,

Keith where would you recommend to buy a used G80?

I was looking at new because Ive been burned a few times with other non camera buys and my luck is terrible no matter how much due dilligence used lol.

Another thing I like about the G80 from Jessops in particular is that they give you a 2yr guarantee plus panasonic is offering a 5yr warranty at the moment too (not sureif the warranty is transferable on used or not though?)

Many thanks once again.

We've had the G7 and now have a G80 (wife's) and Em5-ii (mine).

I got fed up with our G7 due to shuttershock issues (Specifically with the 14-140mm). We replaced it with the G80 and I've since started thinking it's better than my e-m5ii. Especially from a handling perspective.

Reasons for G80:
  • The G80 has EFCS (less risk of shutter shock) and just a better shutter generally (less vibrations). The IBIS is also almost as good as the em-5ii.
  • If you ever want to use any non-stabilised lenses (most primes or the fantastic Olympus lenses) definitely the G80 over the G7!
  • You'd probably also fine the continuous auto focus much better on the G80 (thanks to DFD) with panasonic lenses.

That said though, if you want to get photos of your baby it might be worth looking to a DSLR, G9 and Em1-ii or I beleive the Sony A6x00 cameras have better autofocus. Once he/she gets walking, running and moving about it might be a challenge to get the shots you want. That said some of those options are damn expensive :-( and fall out of budget.

Thanks guys,

I was looking at new because Ive been burned a few times with other non camera buys and my luck is terrible no matter how much due dilligence used lol.

Another thing I like about the G80 from Jessops in particular is that they give you a 2yr guarantee plus panasonic is offering a 5yr warranty at the moment too (not sureif the warranty is transferable on used or not though?)

Many thanks once again.

MPB is great - it's where we got our G80 from.

https://www.mpb.com/en-uk/used-equi...mpact-system-cameras/panasonic-lumix-dmc-g80/

We've had the G7 and now have a G80 (wife's) and Em5-ii (mine).

I got fed up with our G7 due to shuttershock issues (Specifically with the 14-140mm). We replaced it with the G80 and I've since started thinking it's better than my e-m5ii. Especially from a handling perspective.

Reasons for G80:
  • The G80 has EFCS (less risk of shutter shock) and just a better shutter generally (less vibrations). The IBIS is also almost as good as the em-5ii.
  • If you ever want to use any non-stabilised lenses (most primes or the fantastic Olympus lenses) definitely the G80 over the G7!
  • You'd probably also fine the continuous auto focus much better on the G80 (thanks to DFD) with panasonic lenses.

That said though, if you want to get photos of your baby it might be worth looking to a DSLR, G9 and Em1-ii or I beleive the Sony A6x00 cameras have better autofocus. Once he/she gets walking, running and moving about it might be a challenge to get the shots you want. That said some of those options are damn expensive :-( and fall out of budget.

I did have a look at the Sony range but I didnt like the menu system and for some reason it just didnt feel writ in my hands...picky I know.

I also wanted a D7200 for the past 12mths but ended up being swayed towards mirrorless just because I KNOW I will be more likely to take it out with me if its a smaller pack to grab and get in the car versus carrying a backpack with multiple back-cracking bits.

Im still not adverse to getting a D7200 in the future but I dont want to get GAS so Im trying to be sensible.

You should buy this

https://www.hdewcameras.co.uk/olympus-om-d-e-m5-mk-ii-12-40-black-6580-p.asp

For that money that's a fantastic deal.

Find the extra 50 from somewhere and do it!

Im not overlykeen on going for a Grey Import after the articles and forum posts Ive read. Dont get me wrong with the right warranty I could be swayed to get somethingfor the price butI justworry that I will end up without a cam forweeks if anything were to happen (there is of course insurance though I suppose). Thanks for the reply

Im not overlykeen on going for a Grey Import after the articles and forum posts Ive read. Dont get me wrong with the right warranty I could be swayed to get somethingfor the price butI justworry that I will end up without a cam forweeks if anything were to happen (there is of course insurance though I suppose). Thanks for the reply

No problem, up to you.

But if it helps I bought this kit from this retailer and it was an easy deal. I bought it for £1230 so now it's an absolute steal.

Plus the warranty on the body is 3 years against a UK one that has 1 year.

But in the end it's up to you.

Thanks for the link will take a look :)

No worries! The first G80 I got from them had a fault with the AF/CAF/MF switch. They handled the replacement very well. I've had a great experience with them.

Thanks guys,

Many thanks once again.

As dclutter mentioned, MPB is where I would look first. I almost bought one from them, but a store in Dublin had a cracking deal on a new one, I got it for about the same as a mint used one really. I've bought lenses from MPB and no issues yet! They give 6 mths warranty I believe, and 14 day return if not satisfied, so better than buying from some random on ebay.

Scroll down to find the G80, they have 8 in stock atm:
https://www.mpb.com/en-uk/used-equi...ameras/used-panasonic-compact-system-cameras/

I would opt for one "Like new" condition with all the packaging.

Have a look at used lenses on there also.

Last edited:

I recently purchased my EM5II from HDEW, the camera body comes with 3 year warranty and repairs are carried out by A J Johnston in Glasgow, the same place as Nikon and Canon use sometimes for their repairs.

You can also request a VAT receipt from them if you want one.

The 12-40 is an amazing lens to go with it.

I looked at the Fuji xt20, Olympus em5ii and the G80.
The G80 felt the best in my hands, having a better grip.
I sold my D7000 and 150-600 and now have the G80, and haven't regretted the change. So much easier and lighter to carry around.
That said, if I could have afforded one, I particularly liked the EM1ii

I recently purchased my EM5II from HDEW, the camera body comes with 3 year warranty and repairs are carried out by A J Johnston in Glasgow, the same place as Nikon and Canon use sometimes for their repairs.

You can also request a VAT receipt from them if you want one.

The 12-40 is an amazing lens to go with it.

I know that everyone says they are made in the SAME factory and are the exact SAME....but are they?

Are there any features left out Is it just like buying anywhere else or does it feel fake?

I think Im just worried about getting a fake or something (Just been burned so many times for being a little too friendly and naive lol)

You will not get a fake but i have a feeling Panasonic are tightening up on repairing them, ok you should get a very solid 3 year warranty from HDEW but after that ? i cant find it now but Panasonic where playing the safety card by saying they could not be sure they met EU safety rules, which is crap but there you go.

I looked at the Fuji xt20, Olympus em5ii and the G80.
The G80 felt the best in my hands, having a better grip.
I sold my D7000 and 150-600 and now have the G80, and haven't regretted the change. So much easier and lighter to carry around.
That said, if I could have afforded one, I particularly liked the EM1ii

You may not get an EM1MK11 but just incase make sure your 100-400 fits it if you do,there has been or still is some 100-400 about that are too tight a fit on Olympus bodies, i know this for a fact as i have one and no way would i put it on my EM10MK11 it just needs too much force.

Yeah see thats something to think about though in 3yrs Id likely pass it onto my partner or son (if hes mature enough by then haha) then go get the latest one I want at the time (possibly).

That and what if you want to sell it on? Itsunlikely you could trade it in anywhere so you would have to sell via fleabay or the like.

That being said Im just curious and cautious

You may not get an EM1MK11 but just incase make sure your 100-400 fits it if you do,there has been or still is some 100-400 about that are too tight a fit on Olympus bodies, i know this for a fact as i have one and no way would i put it on my EM10MK11 it just needs too much force.

Is the Em10ii or the EM 5ii any better than the G80? Every comparison site I venture on says that the G80 is the winner granted not by much though (I know to take it all with a pinch of salt)

Source:

http://cameradecision.com/compare/Panasonic-Lumix-DMC-G85-vs-Olympus-OM-D-E-M5-II

http://cameradecision.com/compare/Panasonic-Lumix-DMC-G85-vs-Olympus-OM-D-E-M10-II

Obviously thats the overall score and the EM's do beat it in imaging which you know is kind of important haha, but again it is very marginal

I much prefer the G80

I think Im going to pull the trigger on it.

I wish they had it in the same style as the EMs and the Gx80

Is the Em10ii or the EM 5ii any better than the G80? Every comparison site I venture on says that the G80 is the winner granted not by much though (I know to take it all with a pinch of salt)

Source:

http://cameradecision.com/compare/Panasonic-Lumix-DMC-G85-vs-Olympus-OM-D-E-M5-II

http://cameradecision.com/compare/Panasonic-Lumix-DMC-G85-vs-Olympus-OM-D-E-M10-II

Obviously thats the overall score and the EM's do beat it in imaging which you know is kind of important haha, but again it is very marginal

The G80 is much nicer to handle than the EM5-ii. Image quality is so close you'd never know the difference. The CAF is better on the G80. The video features are much better on the G80.

The EM5ii is a prettier camera. The hi-res mode is extremely situational, but can be great when used right. The IBIS is second to none (though only marginally better than the G80). I actually prefer the UI/HUD on the em5ii (The G80 has a neat feature which means you can use the touch screen to move the focus point even when you're using the EVF. It's also maddening when you accidentally move the focus point with your nose). I like the switch on the back for changing the dial mode better than the button the G80 (really splitting hairs here). The em5ii is also a bit smaller if you've got a small prime on it (em10ii even more so), can fit in a large coat pocket with my 20mm prime on it.

Actually something that might be worth noting. The EM5ii doesn't have any way to tell the focus distance (unless you have the pro lenses which are amazing for manual focus). This is really annoying for astro photography (not impossible to deal with). The G80 has an on screen display showing the focus distance. Much easier to get infinity on the G80 than EM5ii. Focus by wire is a bit annoying at times.

You can't go wrong with either camera really.

So...

I was looking online and found this beauty...

https://www.bristolcameras.co.uk/p-panasonic-lumix-dmc-g80-12-60-lens-16gb-deal.htm

For those in a rush the deal is :

G80 + 12-60mm kit lens.
A small cam bag
Sd card
Extra battery
Screen protector
Plus 5yr extended warranty free.

All for £725!

Thats £25 less than Jessops with just the lens and the 5yr warranty.

So I went to my local Jessops looking for a price match and the lovely manager there who has been offering advice the past couple of weeks said that because its a UK stockist they CAN match it but after looking at the SD card noticed that it wasnt the greatest for 4k so hes said I can have that or we can do a deal and up the SD card and all the other bits too.

So Ive had one sent to my local from another store as they were out of stock and Friday should be Happy New Camera Day hopefully. Plus I get sll of the above for £725 with standard SD card or pay a bit extra for a much better one.

Will let you know how well I do out of the deal when I have it because I dont know the exsct bits I can have until I go back and we barter but what a deal!

Thought Id post the link above in case anyone else was thinking of getting one so you can price match too.

Cheers everyone

Last edited:
Hey all,

So I went to my local Jessops today as the camera was delivered there and I got a REALLY decent deal.

So to make the deals currently on:

JESSOPS:
G80/G85 + 12-60mm lens kit
----------TOTAL: 749.99------------

BRISTOL CAMERAS:
Generic 16gb SD (not SDXC)
Universal screen protector
Generic camera bag
Spare battery

-----------TOTAL: £725 (PLUS FREE P&P)------------

THE DEAL I GOT FROM JESSOPS TODAY FOR A PRICE MATCH:

Jessops own brand screen protectors (X3)
Spare Hahnel battery
64gb extreme SD (90mbs)
Generic Camera bag (medium)

Plus I added on the Manfrotto Elements Big tripod rrp:£149.99 | sale price £89.99 I managed to get it down to £79.99 (anything is better than nothing and a tenners fine by me)

-------TOTAL--------

£838(ISH)

Savings totalled £185ish which is brilliant as I was going to just pay up but I found the Bristol Camera deal and just went in and got a great deal.

The SD alone is a great bargain but everything else addes in was great.

So get yourself off to jessops and barter if your butts off.

Thanks for all the help everyone, now I need to get to grips with my new camera. :)

Reactions: BJP
Hey all,

So I went to my local Jessops today as the camera was delivered there and I got a REALLY decent deal.

So to make the deals currently on:

JESSOPS:
----------TOTAL: 749.99------------

BRISTOL CAMERAS:
Generic 16gb SD (not SDXC)
Universal screen protector
Generic camera bag
Spare battery

-----------TOTAL: £725 (PLUS FREE P&P)------------

THE DEAL I GOT FROM JESSOPS TODAY FOR A PRICE MATCH:

Jessops own brand screen protectors (X3)
Spare Hahnel battery
64gb extreme SD (90mbs)
Generic Camera bag (medium)

Plus I added on the Manfrotto Elements Big tripod rrp:£149.99 | sale price £89.99 I managed to get it down to £79.99 (anything is better than nothing and a tenners fine by me)

-------TOTAL--------

£838(ISH)

Savings totalled £185ish which is brilliant as I was going to just pay up but I found the Bristol Camera deal and just went in and got a great deal.

The SD alone is a great bargain but everything else addes in was great.

So get yourself off to jessops and barter if your butts off.

Thanks for all the help everyone, now I need to get to grips with my new camera. :)

Nice one :) Can't beat a good deal. I got a great deal on my G80 just before Christmas too, I wanted body only, there was €170 off that, and I got the €120 cash back after 30 days, pretty much got the camera brand new, full warranty etc for half price. I bought the 25 1.7 separately, I saved €70 on that during another special. I've just added a used 100-300 tele zoom and plan to get something wide to complete a simple little set up, all I need.

The camera is really fun to use, I thought I would be lost coming from Fuji, but the menu system is easy enough get the hang of, and I prefer the overall 'feel' of this camera, nice grip, comfy to hold for long periods, great evf, excellent touch screen and image quality is plenty decent enough for my liking.

Have fun with your new gear and get some photos posted soon in the Panasonic thread :plus1:

Thanks Cagey, you definitelt got a good deal, I think I got a really good package deal for saying the time of year...love the manfrotto tripod too...not used it properly yet but it just oozes quality and is very well styled.

Back