Tom Tom 'Home' Problems

Arkady

Suspended / Banned
Name
Rob
Edit My Images
No
Anyone else having issues with this POS software - tried to install 3 times and it just locks everything up. Won't log in.
It does recognise the device itself, but all I seem to be able to do is view what's installed there. Can't update or download additional features. Certainly can't use it to plan routes on the PC (which it's supposed to be able to do according to the Info on the Tom Tom site).
When the software is on, my keyboard slows to a crawl and viewing any websites other than the T-T site is impossibly slow.

My work lappy:
Sony Vaio VGN-A317M
Win XP Home, SP2; 1.73Ghz Pentium Centrino Mobile Processor
1.0Ghz RAM.

Doesn't slow my PC down but couldn't work out how to do advance routes with it either. Don't use it now other than to make a backup image of what's on the card.

When plugged in to the computer it shows as another drive just like a card reader. I just copy speed camera stuff and voices etc. to it with windows explorer.

Rob, have you got the .net framework installed on your lappy ? I think it needs that to work !

I installed it on my PC at home, can use all the features no problem, although i dont use the TomTom speed camera database, i use the PocketGPSworld one.

To plan routes on the PC, you go to My TomTom, it brings up a pic of the device, (it downloaded another little program first) then you turn the virtual power switch on and it should show what would be on the screen of your tomtom ! (Well thats how it works on mine) i can then click on the screen exactly as i would on the device itself, can plan a route and add/edit favourites etc etc.

Nope - turned my firewall off and now it's logged on, but has spent the past hour trying to retrieve updates.
Also, my keyboard has slowed right down. Takesbout 6 attempts to write each letter.
.net framework? Where?

microsoft, it does intall it automatically with some stuff

i will find a linkypoos

ha! beaten to it...

+1

All my Windows updates are done automatically, so I assume it's all there.
When the TT Home software is installed and running, everything else slows to a crawl (now it's off I can type this, whereas before when it was on, none of my keys worked and it took an age to write anything).
The Home program seems unable to log on the the TomTom server; the one time it did connect, it took almost an hour to do so - this with the firewall turned off.
If it were a server problem, that wouldn't account to the slowing down of my system when the program is enabled and running.
When I tried to uninstall it, it wouldn't let me. Instead I had to perform a System Restore and reinstall the program again. Problem's still there.
Stuff like this should work out of the box - I've spent all day on this and I'm thoroughly p****d off now.

I'll have a bash as I'm having no luck with this at all - crashes, BSOD's the lot. Rolled it back three times now.
Whenever it's running, everything else slows to a crawl - and I mean really slow: pre-Win 95 slow.
It will not log in to the TomTom site no matter what settings my firewall/AV software is on.
Thoroughly dis-chuffed with it all...

Only thing I can suggest is a road map and a whiny, annoying passenger :shrug:

The only thing I can think of why your lappy is running slow is that there may be some kind of IRQ or other resource conflict - the TomTom is swallowing it all up. Connect it up, and right-click on the taskbar to get Task Manager up; click on the 'Performance' tabe to see how much memory and processing power is being swallowed up; click on 'Processes' (enabling the 'Show processes from all users' checkbox) to see what the most CPU-hungry programs are...

Other than that, sorry Rob, I can't offer a great deal of help...

TomTom is using 99, all the others 0.
I've rolled it back to the pre-IE7 install and at least I can type again online.
Still won't log in though.

How about pre-IE7 without the firewall? The executable file that TomTom is using might need to be set up as an exception through the Firewall, if you haven't already done that...

Any joy, Rob?

No. Now using IE6 with Firewall off - TomTom software attempts to log in but just sits there with the little 'world' logo just spinning round. Any attempt to switch off the program results in it locking up.

Edit: No joy at all, even attempting to turn off the program locks up the system - it must be doing something as the CPU usage bar shows massive use by TomTom, which slows every other app on the PC to a crawl.

It's just not working.
I'll try on another laptop tonight to see if it's a conflict within the Vaio itself - we had dramas before with CD-writing programs..

Just had a gander on their website - doesn't exactly seem to be brimming with info on this. All I can think of is getting onto their website and getting hold of their support team... (by their necks!)

I've emailed them and been redirected to the FAQ page...nice...

Nope still no good. Done a slash 'n' burn on all unneccessary programs in case one of them was the one conflicting and re-installed the TomTom program. Still no joy. It recognises my device and shows me what stuff I have installed on it, but when the program attempts to log on to the TomTom server, it just sits there twiddling its thumbs, so to speak.

Has anyone got the executable that the program needs to download before I can do 'virtual' journey planning? Maybe if I installed that manually offline it would work?

All sorted now - not the software, it was the PC - Sony Vaio's... gotta love 'em... Not!
Installed the program on the cheapo stand-alone next door and it logged on instantly, connected to the device instantly, analysed it, downloaded all the updates etc just as it should have.

No idea why it won't work on this duff old slab I have issued to me - thankfully it's being binned next month when they dry out my replacement laptop... that got soaked when the roof leaked at the QM's dept, though quite what it was doing out of its waterproof Peli case is another matter...

Something to do with the way they've configured your XP, I guess

Nah - it's just a Sh*t system - I had to practically rebuild it when it was first issued to me. Nothing worked at all, conflicts everywhere.
Still wont write DVDs properly - lost loads of images last year through that little glitch...

Back