Too Close For Comfort (Red squirrels)

I love these, the top one reminds me of Thumper!!

They made me laugh :D love all of them Will, i might have to give this a try next time i do the reds. Cracking shots and show you don't need the big heavy glass to get excellent shots!

both are great shots.... you'd never get one come that close if the camera was in hand and at least the squirrel is facing you!!

Thanks guys!

Steve - here is a shot of the set up so you can see!

setup.jpg

I've been trying this exact same thing Will, having spent months cultivating some local squirrels. It took a little time to get the squirrels used to the camera but I was quite pleased with the results. I did find to begin with that they jumped a bit when they got close to the camera - I think because they saw their own reflection in the lens. The other problem just now is that they are feeling quite frisky with it being springtime and they obviously have the lady squirrels on their mind - they spend more time looking out for and chasing away rivals than actually eating the food left out for them.
I've got some photos at http://www.flickr.com/photos/67672002@N00/6869297734/in/photostream if you're interested.

Last edited:
Quite amazing, and about as candid as it gets. And perhaps the first time I've seen a 14mm lens used in the context of wildlife photography! I've not yet tried using remote release outdoors, but this is something of an inspiration.

Made me smile, not an easy thing to do. Nice to see something done in a different way.

Thanks guys!

Steve - here is a shot of the set up so you can see!

setup.jpg

The photo's are all fabulous...:clap:

And i'm really loving the improvised set up...(y)

These are excellent, Will, especially the first one (y).

I have to tell you though, I fully intend to copy your stroke of genius at some point and try and get some red squirrel shots that way. I spent literally an hour last Sunday morning, lying face down in a pile of wet leaves :(, trying to get one to come within range of my 300mm lens. The results still needed a massive crop and were nowhere near as 'dynamic' looking as your shots.

Great work :clap:.

These are excellent, Will, especially the first one (y).

I have to tell you though, I fully intend to copy your stroke of genius at some point and try and get some red squirrel shots that way. I spent literally an hour last Sunday morning, lying face down in a pile of wet leaves :(, trying to get one to come within range of my 300mm lens. The results still needed a massive crop and were nowhere near as 'dynamic' looking as your shots.

Great work :clap:.

Thank you! :)

Please do le the know how you get on! :D

Back