weekly Toothie's 2012 52 & 2009 Revisit - Week 6 & 7

Doom & Gloom - I bet everybody can relate to this interpretation of the theme. I like the fact that's it's not too bright/light as that adds to the mood of the shot. :)

Sigh - At least with the 09ers we know Grunge is as bad as it will get!!! I think the mainstream 52 has just met it's 'Grunge' equivalent. Well done on an ingenious shot. I thought you'd got the 'S' brighter to show that the Sigh starts harder and then tails off - which I thought was very clever. :)

Ruth - it's going really well - two top class shots each week. :clap::clap::clap:

Jean

Ha ha Ruth a fresh and personal view of Doom and Gloom....but as Jean says one we can all relate to. Nicely framed and laid out...message gets across perfectly :)

Your 'Sigh' is a good call with what sounded like a tough topic! :) I think I would have like to have seen all the letters given equal prominence but I also like Jean's interpretation of the significance of the hard S :)

A nice collection of bills there!! I hope youve paid them all! Definatley fits in with the doom and gloom theme

Great interpretation for Doom and Gloom Ruth. I like the composition and the selective focus is spot on :clap::clap: Great improvement on '09.

Cor, glad I'm not doing the mainstream 52, wouldn't have a clue how to do sigh so I think you've done it justice. Well done on a b*gger of a theme (y)

Hi Ruth, sorry for not commenting sooner, I've been trying to catch up with my own shots so the first thing I want to say is kudos for you doing both
52's this year. You might be a little bit crazy but I admire your dedication!

I'm not going to repeat everything that has already been said but congratulation on the shot for Sigh - that has got to be one of the hardest themes I've heard and I like your take on it :clap:

good pics there Ruth. Both on theme, it's a shame that igh are not as prominent as the S.

Doom & Gloom - I bet everybody can relate to this interpretation of the theme. I like the fact that's it's not too bright/light as that adds to the mood of the shot. :)

Sigh - At least with the 09ers we know Grunge is as bad as it will get!!! I think the mainstream 52 has just met it's 'Grunge' equivalent. Well done on an ingenious shot. I thought you'd got the 'S' brighter to show that the Sigh starts harder and then tails off - which I thought was very clever. :)

Ruth - it's going really well - two top class shots each week. :clap::clap::clap:

Jean

Ha ha Ruth a fresh and personal view of Doom and Gloom....but as Jean says one we can all relate to. Nicely framed and laid out...message gets across perfectly :)

Your 'Sigh' is a good call with what sounded like a tough topic! :) I think I would have like to have seen all the letters given equal prominence but I also like Jean's interpretation of the significance of the hard S :)

I would love to to say the Jean was right and the fade out was intentional but it was a mixture of too much steam making the autofocus fail and it is really hard to focus when you can't see through the view finder!

Thank-you for the feedback :)

Hi Ruth....you really are completely & totally ,utterley barking mad :LOL:

Loving the images you posted so far....the oil on water one has inspired me to give it a go...thanks for the set up info (y)

Hi Ruth....you really are completely & totally ,utterley barking mad :LOL:

Loving the images you posted so far....the oil on water one has inspired me to give it a go...thanks for the set up info (y)

Thanks Blondie - good luck with the oil & water

Last time round Communication was one of my better pictures (well imo) This year I have 2 offerings mainly because I couldn't decide.

I work with children with disabilities, many of which have communication problems and therefore use communication devices. The first is a communication book and I like it because it shows so many kinds of communication, the second I like as when I turned it on to take the picture it had the last thing said by the student on it ( for obvious reasons I can't say who it is).

Communication:

Communication by Toothie, on Flickr

Communication by Toothie, on Flickr

From 2009:

2009November20-6 by Toothie, on Flickr

Sweet:

Sweet by Toothie, on Flickr

I give you a citrus cupcake with lemon icing - home made and very sweet :)

Hey Ruth your communication shots testify to what a bloody worthwhile job you do...both quite moving to me, especially the second one with that message. The message is clear and concise, the angle of the shots adding impact. In some ways quite humbling!

The sweet shot :) Lovely :D I want one! Now :D

Simple, well composed, well lit and...Home Made :D Perfection :D

Yum, yum, I must drag myself away from that delicious-looking cupcake and look at the other two pics as well! ;)

Both good ideas, and clearly about Communication. Of the two I prefer the second one just because the display is more colourful and had the personal message which gives it meaning. There's nowt wrong with the first one - well composed, sharp and interesting, but #2 catches my eye more (and they are both competing against that yummy cupcake! :LOL: )

Sweet - Did I mention how yummy this looks? :D I like the use of negative space and the fact that the centre of the cake's on the vertical third. I think it's a bit tight at the top - just a smidgeon, but that's just my preference. The icing looks fantastic and very citrussy. Sweet enough for me. :clap:

Jean

Yum, yum, I must drag myself away from that delicious-looking cupcake and look at the other two pics as well! ;)

Both good ideas, and clearly about Communication. Of the two I prefer the second one just because the display is more colourful and had the personal message which gives it meaning. There's nowt wrong with the first one - well composed, sharp and interesting, but #2 catches my eye more (and they are both competing against that yummy cupcake! :LOL: )

Sweet - Did I mention how yummy this looks? :D I like the use of negative space and the fact that the centre of the cake's on the vertical third. I think it's a bit tight at the top - just a smidgeon, but that's just my preference. The icing looks fantastic and very citrussy. Sweet enough for me. :clap:

Jean

:plus1: I think Jean has covered pretty much what I was going to say. Great pics. (y)

I think both the communication shots are spot on and I see where you got your motivation from in '09 too.

If I had to chose I'd go for the second one for the same reasons as Jean, but I could see a third one alongside making a great tryptich :clap::clap::clap:

As for Sweet - absolutely delicious (y)

Not such bad themes this week. 2 photos along the same lines:

Fresh Start:

Fresh Start by Toothie, on Flickr

When your alarm goes off in the morning you have a choice you can carry on your life as you have been up to now or you can make a fresh start and make something better :)

2009 effort:

2009October05-1 by Toothie, on Flickr

Secure:

Secure by Toothie, on Flickr

Is your information secure?

Hi Ruth, sorry I am a bit late commenting but your communication shots are lovely. I mean technically they are good, but with the explanation and the message on the second device it just brings it home how much I take for granted simple things like being able to communicated effectively. Great take on the theme and well done you for doingsuch a worthwhile job :clap:

Fresh Start - I could believe that this was taken at 6am by the tone of it! I'm not sure if I like the cup / mug in the BG. If you were snoozing you wouldn't have been up to make tea or coffee... I suppose someone else could have got it for you though.

Fresh Start: Sometimes I look at somebody else's shot and wonder why I didn't think of that, too! Your Fresh Start is one of them, Ruth! I quite like the cup in the background - it's not too intrusive but helps to set the scene. A 6 am start though - ouch! :shake:

Secure: Something we all take for granted, I suppose - until it goes wrong! Good shot - does what it says on the tin. (y)

Of the two I prefer Fresh Start - just because of the lovely contrasts and the composition. :)

Jean

2 great shots there Ruth.

6am would certainly be a fresh start for my brain that's for sure.

Simple, clear and I like the cup in the background (could've been last night's camomile) (y)

Secure - does what it says on the tin :)

Your Fresh Start mafe me laugh :) Absolutely spot on :) I have one that goes off at 6:30 every day and I straightaway hit snooze which buys me an restless 15 mins :)

Lovely idea and simply and effectively executed, its a simple and winning composition for me :) and the comment - yeah I like that too :D

Secure....yeah well as Jill says it does what its says on the tin :) spot in theme!

I'm sorry Ruth... way behind...

Doom and Gloom... excellent, spot on for the theme and nicely put together...
Sigh... gotta agree this is the 12 equivalent of Grunge... what a horrible theme and what a great idea... it works well, just would have been nice to see the rest of sigh as clearly as the S.

Communication... Both really good, but the second is a better one for me... a stronger image.
Sweet, looks tricky to light well, but you've done it nicely. Looks yummy too, could just manage one of those about now :D..

Fresh Start... excellent, bang on theme... clean and crisp, the faint background helps too. I love that your snooze button is soooo much larger than the dismiss button :LOL:

Secure... simple and a good idea, it works... Jill said it already (and John copied it :D)

Sorry Ruth, I'm playing catch up - I just haven't had much time to comment on photos for a while.

Some lovely shots since I last popped in.
Communication really stands out for me, and when you view it alongside the explanation it gives it a whole new meaning.

Hopefully you'll be back soon, you've made a fantastic start so I really hope that you manage to make it through to the end.

Ops not as behind as I look it just appears I forgot to post some picture

So here is week 6

Identity:

Identity by Toothie, on Flickr

Not 100% what I was aiming for but it turns out finger prints are harder than I thought :(

This is the effort from 2009

2009Mar08-3 by Toothie, on Flickr

Industry:

I went down to take pictures of the steel mill that has just closed but ended up with one of the car compound at the docks - 100s of brand new cars just sitting there waiting to be sold, in the background is the power station at Grain and crane from the docks which is about the only industry left on the Island.

Industry by Toothie, on Flickr

Thanks for taking the time to look

hopefully I will get some time to comment on others soon

Secure - Website logins are definitely something we are all very used to seeing.

Industry - I like this one.

Root - Spot on with the theme. Nicely lit as well.

Identity... fingerprints are hard aren't they... I used a print with the last time this came out. It fits the theme... sorry to say... I'm not sure what else to say about it.. :thinking:

Industry... I like it... Nicely composed, nice arrow too... fits the theme well. That's a lot of french cars.

Simple ... That's not a simple rose... looks like a complex double to me :D... There seems to be something odd going on with the way it's displayed on here... no clue as to what though... Anyway... I like it, nicely composed... good strong image.

Root ... Very well done, fits perfectly.

Identity... a theme fitter if ever I saw one....never tried fingerprinting myself....I can imagine its not as simple as they make it look on the TV :) simple shot, not quite as sharp a I'd like it but a good bash at it :)

Industry... love this one, and the arrow is great addition - nice viewpoint!

Simple ... As John says that looks like a complex rose but its a simple concept, needs chocolates and champagne and bingo....rich colours and nicely composed

Root ... thats a nice still life and could have doubled for simple too - I like the way you've composed that shot :) nice one!

How annoying. Just written a detailed post and lost connection! So keep it short this time

Identity: Good idea although I woild clean it up a bit
Simple: A good shot for next weeks theme too!!
fresh start s a good idea although Im never feeling fresh that time of the day!
Communication: I must be odd cos I prefer shot 1. Just because it fills the frame. 2nd shot is more punchy though

As you know, I know how difficult it is to get a print onto paper :D so well done for that (y) It certainly fits the theme and I have a couple of suggestions;1 clean up the background a bit as I am finding it quite distracting and 2, try a very tight crop to make the print take the whole focus. (which then takes care of 1)

Simple - a very complex flower resulting in a very simple picture - spot on for the theme.

Now where's your Passion for Linear :LOL:

I would just like thank you all for your feedback and let you know that i am stopping here. After 3 years of looking we have finally found a house and suddenly it is all systems go with things moving really quick.

I wish you all luck with the rest of the year :)

Wow, fantastic news Ruth (about the house that is ;))

Sorry you won't be around here but it's great to find what you've been looking for at last.

Enjoy (y)

Congratulations Ruth, quite understandable, it's utter mayhem, good luck with the move.

Ruth I echo everyone's congratulations and good wishes :) Maybe when things settle down and you're settled in you can pick up with us again :)!

Back