Topaz AI

Name
James (Retired)
Edit My Images
No
Who uses Topaz & is it as good as a lot of people are sating. :)

I use the Denoise AI and find IMO it does a very good job. You can download trials of most any software Topaz included so suggest try it and others to see what you feel is best for you. Russ.

Cheers Russell,i have a few different progs,trying to decide if it is worth it. :giggle:

I have denoise, sharpen and gigapixel.
I find denoise to be amazingly good. sharpen is a bit hit and miss and but it has saved me some pictures which is nice.
Gigapixel is great if your files are of good quality and sharpness, otherwise it doesn't do much.

here just as an experiment in gigapixel, my original picture on right upscaled twice and zoomed in 100% in both windows (you can see the res on both):
Screenshot 2020-11-11 at 14.30.02.jpg

edit:
After posting it, I realised posting on here destroys the sharpness! lol
but basically its very sharp and has done a great job at preserving the details.

Last edited:
Cheers Russell,i have a few different progs,trying to decide if it is worth it. :giggle:
Hi, Yes am in the same boat with different options, Lightroom 6, On1 2020, Topaz, Affinity Photo, Luminar 3 (rubbish IMO) just so many options but have come to the conclusion that maybe better to learn how to use two options well and ditch the rest, for me I think it will be to keep On1 2020 and Topaz products although both companies seem to try to get you buy the new version each year but don't really add a lot to make it worth while. Russ.

I use De Noise & Sharpen and as a total newbie to photography over the last 6mths, they have been brilliant for me.

Particularly De noise, which I now use through Lr Classic as part of my standard workflow & it’s most recent update, has made it even better due to the ability to see a four way split preview of its different options. :)

I find denoise to be amazingly good. sharpen is a bit hit and miss and but it has saved me some pictures which is nice.
Gigapixel is great if your files are of good quality and sharpness, otherwise it doesn't do much.

here just as an experiment in gigapixel, my original picture on right upscaled twice and zoomed in 100% in both windows (you can see the res on both):
View attachment 298574

edit:
but basically its very sharp and has done a great job at preserving the details.
Hi, Just curious as to when you say " Gigapixel is great if your files are of good quality and sharpness, otherwise it doesn't do much" but what does it do IYO that would make it worthwhile to add to the Denoise and Sharpen AI's I already have? Thanks and sorry for butting in on someone elses thread. Russ.

Hi, Just curious as to when you say " Gigapixel is great if your files are of good quality and sharpness, otherwise it doesn't do much" but what does it do IYO that would make it worthwhile to add to the Denoise and Sharpen AI's I already have? Thanks and sorry for butting in on someone elses thread. Russ.

Well... depends on what you are after really... but in the example I posted above you can see that after cropping I have a 11mp image left. Can't really print big @300dpi but I can easily print the gigapixel result (44mp) very big.
Digitally speaking it gives you more cropping room to crop in tighter and still have a rather sharp image. Really helps with small birds like my example above or if for whatever reason you feel you need to crop in to make a better image but want more pixels.

Last edited:

It will upscale small low resolution images, preserving (and enhancing detail) to x2 x4 x6 size or custom size.

Useful if you want to upscale a small cropped image for instance.

Dougie.

but i have found that with gigapixel you really need your base image to already have some decent amount of detail in there. it won't magic up the details despite what some marketing or people will have you believe. its just really good at upscaling the details already there. if your subject lack the details for whatever reason your upscaled image won't be much good either.

Well... depends on what you are after really... but in the example I posted above you can see that after cropping I have a 11mp image left. Can't really print big @300dpi but I can easily print the gigapixel result (44mp) very big.
Digitally speaking it gives you more cropping room to crop in tighter and still have a rather sharp image. Really helps with small birds like my example above or if for whatever reason you feel you need to crop in to make a better image but want more pixels.
Hi, OK thanks, I am just getting into the bird/wildlife side so maybe will be helpfull with the size of the Blue Tits in the garden:p

Topaz Sharpen AI
C

View attachment 298574

edit:
cheers for that,i don,t really know this prog,so is it 3 different ones on their own or are they all in the one prog.

I've got to agree regarding Gigapixel, its not much use on poor quality pictures but certainly helps with high quality where you need to make a large crop. Denoise and Sharpen are well worth the investment imo, its improved many pictures for me.

Topaz Sharpen AI
C

cheers for that,i don,t really know this prog,so is it 3 different ones on their own or are they all in the one prog.

they are different programs in their own right.
topaz labs is the company and they provide a number of "AI" programs - https://topazlabs.com/shop/

looks like there's 7 of them now and you can buy them in bundles or individually.
I slightly cheated in that I added the entire bundle on a nice offer to the cart and removed the individual programs I didn't care about to get a really nice deal especially with the additional 15% off code that's almost always running. Looks like they have realised this loop hole and patched it.

You can still buy them individually and they are normally on offer when there is a new update. You can normally google for a 15% off code too on top.

Topaz Denoise here.
I'm a fan (y)

I tried the Sharpen AI, trial version, but I just couldn't get on with it at all.
I stick to CS 5 and unsharp mask for that part.

they are different programs in their own right.
topaz labs is the company and they provide a number of "AI" programs - https://topazlabs.com/shop/

looks like there's 7 of them now and you can buy them in bundles or individually.
I slightly cheated in that I added the entire bundle on a nice offer to the cart and removed the individual programs I didn't care about to get a really nice deal especially with the additional 15% off code that's almost always running. Looks like they have realised this loop hole and patched it.

You can still buy them individually and they are normally on offer when there is a new update. You can normally google for a 15% off code too on top.
Topaz Sharpen AI
Well i think i do fancy the sharpen & denoise,still thinking about it.:)

Topaz Denoise here.
I'm a fan (y)

I tried the Sharpen AI, trial version, but I just couldn't get on with it at all.
I stick to CS 5 and unsharp mask for that part.

I seldom use sharpen AI to actually sharpen my images :LOL:
they are plenty sharp as it is :p

I use it for removing small amounts of motion or shake blur which has saved me some images in a pinch.

Found a discount code so possibly.

Found a discount code so possibly.

"loyal15" still works :D
that's the one I used.

Actually I forgot to use it when i bought it. I then emailed their customer services and they kindly refunded me the 15% off within an hour which was super nice of them. they didn't have to do that.
so overall i am please with this software and the people behind it.

Last edited:
Well i think i do fancy the sharpen & denoise,still thinking about it.:)
Am sure you are aware you can sharpen with the deNoise.
The only real way to tell, is to down load the 30 day trial, its a full version (y)
Edit I see you are onto it :)

I use it for removing small amounts of motion or shake blur which has saved me some images in a pinch.
I've tried all those "bits" and TBH it totally ruins the images :(
That's why I never bought it, a few days into the trial and I was thinking seriously? WTF?

I follow a series of YouTube videos made by Dave Kelly, Google "The joy of editing by Dave Kelly" he covers all the Topaz programs in detail and is well worth watching. Also, if your buying use the code " davekelly" for 15% discount. Each time there is an upgrade he releases a new video with the details and examples of how to use them.

Am sure you are aware you can sharpen with the deNoise.
The only real way to tell, is to down load the 30 day trial, its a full version (y)
Edit I see you are onto it :)

I've tried all those "bits" and TBH it totally ruins the images :(
That's why I never bought it, a few days into the trial and I was thinking seriously? WTF?
Cheers for that,i will have a play with the trial now & see how i get on. :)

Well so far not that impressed with the AI,what about the denoise,any good?.

Well so far not that impressed with the AI,
That's what I said earlier although I gave it a couple of days :D
And I also said Denoise is the way to go (y)

That's what I said earlier although I gave it a couple of days :D
And I also said Denoise is the way to go (y)
Yep i will give the denoise a try tomorrow.:)

I downloaded DeNoise on Sunday. Tried it a few times (I know, early days and all that) but my giddy Aunt, it's slow.:coffee:

Is this normal, or is it a just I need a serious PC upgrade?:thinking:

I downloaded DeNoise on Sunday. Tried it a few times (I know, early days and all that) but my giddy Aunt, it's slow.:coffee:

Are you using a graphic card?
Denoise is fairly fast especially in comparison to sharpen which is lot slower.

I was sceptical about deNoise but I have been pleasantly surprised, even with the AI setting.

I found it slow so I upgraded the ram which made it much better and my pc is far from high end. Your RAW files are probably larger than mine, which doesn’t help.

What are your pc specs?

I found it slow so I upgraded the ram which made it much better and my pc is far from high end. Your RAW files are probably larger than mine, which doesn’t help.

What are your pc specs?
I found it quicker on my PC by setting the device selection in preferences to CPU

I have most of the Topaz Plugins and very impressed. I am particularly impressed with Denoise AI, Sharpen AI and Mask AI. Sharpen AI does take some time but it requires a lot of computer power but it is worth the wait. Today I needed to cut out a few things. One was a regular shaped solid object so Select Subject in PS was fine for this. One of the other items was smoke and thus needs more sophisticated S/W which Topaz Mask AI did well.

Dave

I found it quicker on my PC by setting the device selection in preferences to CPU
It depends on your setup, so is worth trying both. For me it's about 3 times faster on the GPU HIGH setting compared to the CPU setting. Taking around 15 seconds.

Last edited:
Back