Topaz AI

It depends on your setup, so is worth trying both. For me it's about 3 times faster on the GPU HIGH setting compared to the CPU setting. Taking around 15 seconds.
I agree and that's how I found CPU is better. I guess my findings are because the graphics card is only a cheapo 2GB version

Who uses Topaz & is it as good as a lot of people are sating. :)
Topaz what?
They make a whole range of products, some of which I've used for a long time.
Unlike some others, I've never had any speed problems with any of their programs that I use.

Hmm DxO looks good as well.:)

But DxO is more expensive,all i am looking for is a denoise prog.

Last edited:
DXO was the best I had for noise cancellation and I used it for this purpose, till I came across denoise.

IMO denoise did a better job especially at preserving more details in your subject. in fact it seem to reduce noise with barely any loss in details which is amazing.

But I haven't used the latest version of dxo, in fact I am probably a couple versions behind by now. So no surprise if they have improved too in that time. Now that i have denoise there really isn't a reason for me to swap simply because dxo might be a fraction better, for all I know topaz's updates in future may make it even better (not sure what that looks like lol).

since you aren't bought into anything its worth trying most of them and buying the one that works best for your camera. you have to remember that noise patterns are different between camera bodies (let alone brands). And one software may be better at handling certain types better than others.

Last edited:
The thing is that Dxo is a complete developer/editing suite, whereas Topaz is only a denoise program and needs something else to provide it with an image to work on.
Yes i know,all i am after is a denoise prog not a full suite

Damn this thread, getting me all interested!

Looks like I can't play. Downloaded the trial last night and it looks like my ageing GPU doesn't support the Open GL thing. :(

Still playing around with trials.:p:fuji:

Looks like I can't play. Downloaded the trial last night and it looks like my ageing GPU doesn't support the Open GL thing. :(
Before rejecting it completely, have you made sure your graphics driver software is up to date?

My PC is ancient but it does support denoise AI. It just takes a hell of a long time to do anything. I only use it for problem images .

Before rejecting it completely, have you made sure your graphics driver software is up to date?
I have, yes, and it appears to be up to date.
I'll continue to look around and see what can be done as a really like the look of what it can do. My laptop is a bit long in the tooth, but it was pretty high spec at the time, and I run Cubase, PSE, Affinity and Premier Elements on it with no real issues. It's be a shame to miss out.

I have, yes, and it appears to be up to date.
I'll continue to look around and see what can be done as a really like the look of what it can do. My laptop is a bit long in the tooth, but it was pretty high spec at the time, and I run Cubase, PSE, Affinity and Premier Elements on it with no real issues. It's be a shame to miss out.
I know the graphics card/driver software can make a big difference as to whether a program even runs, but in the case of a laptop, upgrading the video is not such a straightforward situation.
On my (self-built) desktop I simply bought a more up to date video card.
Good luck in your search.

Well after playing around with Topaz AI i think it does a very good job.
So i am happy with it & will be buying it.:banana::)

Just got Topaz Denoize for £43.81 GBP ,they have an offer on by the looks of it.:banana:

Just got Topaz Denoize for £43.81 GBP ,they have an offer on by the looks of it.:banana:
I thought that was about the going rate?
I can't remember what I paid but it was around £25 on offer

The last time i looked it was $79

:D:D:banana:

I thought that was about the going rate?
I can't remember what I paid but it was around £25 on offer
The "going rate" of $79.99 equates to £59.28.
£43.81 is pretty good at the current exchange rate of 1 GBP = 1.34943 USD, (according to XE Currency converter.)
The days of £1 = $2 are long gone and we are unlikely to see them again for a while, if ever.

With de.noise Ai you get free updates for the first year , the version I’m now using is far far removed from what I originally downloaded .
You now get 4 different finishes to choose from ,it’s that good in fact I will probably purchase it again just to keep getting the updates after my first year .
When I can process noiseless pics from a MFT sensor at 6400 iso I reckon it’s beyond good

Having had it on trial and with the current discount, I decided to purchase Denoise AI.
I don't have very many noisy images, but the first one I tried it on cleaned up a treat.
I did however find it rather slow so I think it's something to use when justified, and yes - I do have a pretty advanced graphics card.
I also use Topaz "Studio2" which has a tool called "AI Clear" which is a sort of combined noise reduction plus sharpening tool which I find very useful on a lot of images, although the NR is not as powerful as Denoise AI.
I was watching a Topaz webinar a while ago and the presenter (whose name I've forgotten) said he uses AI Clear on ALL his images, although the webinar was being promoted by Topaz.
I find it useful on many of my images, when I remember to use it.

The days of £1 = $2 are long gone and we are unlikely to see them again for a while, if ever.
I'm old enough to remember my dad calling 5 bob half a dollar ;)

I'm old enough to remember my dad calling 5 bob half a dollar ;)
I I remember petrol at 3 shillings and threepence a GALLON :wave:

I I remember petrol at 3 shillings and threepence a GALLON :wave:
Blimey you are old :p

I had past my test about a year and £1 = 3 gallons, enough for a weeks driving "back in the day"
But of course that was post decimalisation and per gallon not this silly liter thingy :D

Last edited:
Blimey you are old :p

I had past my test about a year and £1 = 3 gallons, enough for a weeks driving "back in the day"
But of course that was post decimalisation and per gallon not this silly liter thingy :D
If you work out the price per gallon now, it will scare you!
1 gallon = 4.546 litres

Having had it on trial and with the current discount, I decided to purchase Denoise AI.
I don't have very many noisy images, but the first one I tried it on cleaned up a treat.
I did however find it rather slow so I think it's something to use when justified, and yes - I do have a pretty advanced graphics card.
I also use Topaz "Studio2" which has a tool called "AI Clear" which is a sort of combined noise reduction plus sharpening tool which I find very useful on a lot of images, although the NR is not as powerful as Denoise AI.
I was watching a Topaz webinar a while ago and the presenter (whose name I've forgotten) said he uses AI Clear on ALL his images, although the webinar was being promoted by Topaz.
I find it useful on many of my images, when I remember to use it.

I bought AI Clear when it first came out and was initially disappointed when it disappeared. I soon cheered up when the fact I had paid for AI clear and I had earlier version of denoise and Sharpen entitled me to have DeNoise AI and Sharpen AI for free. I also soon discovered that I can still use AI Clear from Studio 2 and it is also included in Sharpen AI. If I just want to denoise and sharpen a family snap I do use AI Clear. However, for my more serious photography I use DeNoise AI and Sharpen AI in full.

Dave

If you work out the price per gallon now, it will scare you!
1 gallon = 4.546 litres
I know and at approx 1000 miles a week in a van, that's one "bill" I'm glad I don't pay!

I bought AI Clear when it first came out and was initially disappointed when it disappeared. I soon cheered up when the fact I had paid for AI clear and I had earlier version of denoise and Sharpen entitled me to have DeNoise AI and Sharpen AI for free. I also soon discovered that I can still use AI Clear from Studio 2 and it is also included in Sharpen AI. If I just want to denoise and sharpen a family snap I do use AI Clear. However, for my more serious photography I use DeNoise AI and Sharpen AI in full.

Dave
That's pretty much the way I feel about things, AI Clear for day to day stuff, and Denoise AI for special occasions.
I noticed that AI Clear was also in Denoise AI but I never tried it in the trial version.
I'm not sure if I ever bought AI Clear, but because I was an existing customer I got Studio (which became Studio 2) at a really good price.

I know and at approx 1000 miles a week in a van, that's one "bill" I'm glad I don't pay!
Vans are going electric, just the same way cars are.

Vans are going electric, just the same way cars are.
I'll be retired before that happens and most likely my kids too the way things are progressing. ;)
At least I'll still have my gas guzzling hooligan machine to play with (y)

Hi
if it helps in inputed davidkelly in the promotional code box and got an extra 15% of the discounted price. Paid £36

I'm trialing Gigapixel AI and overall it appears to be an improvement over photoshop at 200%. Beyond that I don't see any miracles.

It is fairly image dependent. Anything with hair or fine lines work really great. For example: portraits, animals and... painting reproductions. Birds are a little more hit and miss but still capable. Architecture is more on the borderline. Certain elements enlarge well but some even appear softer than PS. Landscapes seem to be the worst performing type where bit can look either fake or soft. It's a tough call when you don't rely on it so much in the first place. While it always has an edge over PS in some cases it is surprisingly marginal and perhaps you may even want to combine the bits from both.

It is mostly applicable to older images. I can't imagine it being required for my 50MP files.

Last edited:
quick update. I was so impressed I ordered both gigapixel and sharpen. If I had to choose between them I would say sharpen is a more useful utility particularly with today's higher res cameras.

In short it basically totally fixed slight vibration blur with 400mm lens, fixed out of focus eye with very slight artefacts but totally acceptable and almost fixed a super blurry (shake) sheep jumping over the fence. It will basically save a lot of images originally destined to the bin and is a must have for any even and action photographer in particular.

The only fail so far was a a lens defect resulting in a very soft edge. Perhaps that was too much to ask. I wish the implement something along the lines. That 17-40mm I had was a real piece of s***.

Back