Topsy's Dartmoor Rambles

Week 14.

This week with no live firing on Willsworthy Ranges I decided to go back in to get those 2 Tors that evaded me last time I tried, Sharp Tor and Chat Tor. The weather was a bit unpredictable so I just packed my Fuji X-T2s. A change in plam on the ground meant I changed my route to include Brat Tor instead od Doe Tor, as usual you can see the full story and photos in my Blog over on ePHOTOzine. https://www.ephotozine.com//user/topsyrm-149719/blog

My main priority were Sharp Tor and Chat Tor.

Sharp Tor.

View attachment 419439

From Sharp Tor there is a good view (weather permitting) of Hare Tor.

View attachment 419438

Chat Tor with Lower and Higher Dunnagoats in the distance.

View attachment 419441

River Lyd running high and the reason for the change in plan.

View attachment 419436

New first stop, Brat Tor and Widgery Cross.

View attachment 419437

That’s all for this week folks, thanks for looking in and as always, comments welcome.
Are there three different Sharp Tors?

Are there three different Sharp Tors?
Yes, as far as I know personally. One is the one in my post on Willsworthy Range, another is over towards Dartmeet beside Yar and Corndon Tors the other is over by Piles Copse in the Ugborough area. I have been to them all in my Dartmoor Rambles.
6 according to Hemery. The tor namers weren't very imaginative, like the mountain namers in Scotland. If the description fits.....
I have no idea where the other 3 might be but am interested.

Yes, as far as I know personally. One is the one in my post on Willsworthy Range, another is over towards Dartmeet beside Yar and Corndon Tors the other is over by Piles Copse in the Ugborough area. I have been to them all in my Dartmoor Rambles.

I have no idea where the other 3 might be but am interested.
Those were the same 3 that immediately sprang to mind for me. I need to look the others up when I have time

I really like the Sharp Tor composition and it's great to see projects like this progressing

I just did a search on https://www.torsofdartmoor.co.uk/results_tors.php?tor_name=sharp+tor and found seven, not all are marked on the OS Map and some are called other things on the OS Map.

Sharp Tor (Castle Drogo) SX 7286 8986

Sharp Tor (Chinkwell) SX 7282 7807

Sharp Tor (Harford Moor) SX 6489 6172

Sharp Tor (Lydford) SX 5501 8485

Sharp Tor (Peter Tavy) SX 5248 7704

Sharp Tor (Tavy Cleave) SX 5540 8332

Sharp Tor (Yar Tor Down) SX 6865 7296

There are 2 River Darts in Devon too! One joins the Exe at Bickleigh about 400m below Bickleigh Bridge and the other is rather better known.

I just did a search on https://www.torsofdartmoor.co.uk/results_tors.php?tor_name=sharp+tor and found seven, not all are marked on the OS Map and some are called other things on the OS Map.

Sharp Tor (Castle Drogo) SX 7286 8986

Sharp Tor (Chinkwell) SX 7282 7807

Sharp Tor (Harford Moor) SX 6489 6172

Sharp Tor (Lydford) SX 5501 8485

Sharp Tor (Peter Tavy) SX 5248 7704

Sharp Tor (Tavy Cleave) SX 5540 8332

Sharp Tor (Yar Tor Down) SX 6865 7296
You know I've just had to go and check them all out, don't you? :LOL: Apart from the ones we're all familiar with the others are either called something else or not marked by OS but I do know them. Except the Castle Drogo one which is named but I don't know it 'cos I've never been there

You know I've just had to go and check them all out, don't you? :LOL: Apart from the ones we're all familiar with the others are either called something else or not marked by OS but I do know them. Except the Castle Drogo one which is named but I don't know it 'cos I've never been there
Me too and I've been to them all except Castle Drogo. (y)

There are 2 River Darts in Devon too! One joins the Exe at Bickleigh about 400m below Bickleigh Bridge and the other is rather better known.

I found out places names are not unique at all when as a young child I moved house to a different county........ then found my new school was in the next village just down the road, that had the same name as the village just down the road from the place we'd left.............. Confused, I was

Week 15.

This week with reasonable weather I decided to go back to the Birch Tor area to get those Tors that eluded me last month due to bad visibility so my priority for this walk was Shapley and Hookney Tors plus Chaw Gulley. I parked at Bennet's Cross Car Park again so my route took me up Birch Tor and along the Two Moors Way, as usual you can see the full story and photos in my Blog over on ePHOTOzine. https://www.ephotozine.com//user/topsyrm-149719/blog

First stop was Birch Tor, you can just make out The Warren House Inn (the white spec in the distance).

020 Birch Tor 05-8391 PS Adj.JPG

I then headed along the Two Moors Way to Shapley Tor.

005 Shapley Tor 02-8341 PS Adj.JPG

Then over to Hookney Tor.

009 Hookney Tor 02-8368 PS Adj.JPG

On the way back I went through Chaw Gulley.

016 Chaw Gully 05-8385 PS Adj.JPG

There is a Lone Tree at either end.

013 Chaw Gully 02-8380 PS Adj.JPG

That’s all for this week folks, thanks for looking in and as always, comments welcome.

Used to have lunch at the Warren House Inn relatively often, until they tried charging £2.50 for a pint of orange squash... Never again!

Looking forward to getting up on the moor on the bike a bit more this year - weather permitting (so probably not Tuesdays!!!)

Used to have lunch at the Warren House Inn relatively often, until they tried charging £2.50 for a pint of orange squash... Never again!

Looking forward to getting up on the moor on the bike a bit more this year - weather permitting (so probably not Tuesdays!!!)
Ping me when you're out on your bike, I may be able to meet up. (y)

Reactions: Nod
Will do. I tend to stick to the Eastern side of the Moor but am happy to travel further into the wilds! Usual route is from Moretonhampstead to Two Bridges/Princetown then down past Huccabexworthy (!) to Buckfastleigh or Ashburton via Combestone Tor and Venford Reservoir.

Will do. I tend to stick to the Eastern side of the Moor but am happy to travel further into the wilds! Usual route is from Moretonhampstead to Two Bridges/Princetown then down past Huccabexworthy (!) to Buckfastleigh or Ashburton via Combestone Tor and Venford Reservoir.
Moretonhampstead seems to be half way between us so would probably make a good meet up point. I'm really only tied up Tuesdays and Thursdays most weeks. Once the weather has stabilised we ought to make a plan.

Reactions: Nod
Or the caff in Princetown, or Mr Jolly's in Bovey.

Time and place TBC!!!

There's also Ullacombe Farm's café a mile or 2 down from HayTor towards Bovey.

Some of the bikes are pretty cool (and some are all but unrideable - like the friction drive Shovelhead with the motor etc. in backwards!)

Week 16.

More changeable weather this week with the best of it around the Widecombe area so that's where I went. I first went to Bonehill Rocks and walked the ridgeline to Honeybag Tor then went around to Hemsworthy Gate to go up Top Tor to shoot across to Rippon Tor, Saddle Tor and Haytor Rocks, as usual you can see the full story and photos in my Blog over on ePHOTOzine. https://www.ephotozine.com//user/topsyrm-149719/blog

Bonehill Rocks.

001 Bonehill Rocks 01-8395 PS Adj.JPG

Hound Tor from Bell Tor.

008 Hound Tor from Bell Tor 01-8416 PS Adj.JPG

Honeybag Tor.

013 Honeybag Tor 04-8434 PS Adj.JPG

Bell Tor on the way back.

019 Bell Tor 05-8455 PS Adj.JPG

Rippon Tor from Top Tor.

025 Rippon Tor from Top Tor 01-2481 PS Adj.JPG

My favourite from the day, Rippon Tor, Saddle Tor and Haytor Rocks from Top Tor.

026 Rippon Tor, Saddle Tor & Haytor Rocks (PANO) from Top Tor 01-0847 PS Adj.JPG

Week 17.

This week I decided to go out over to Down Tor Stone Row with my Bronica SQ-Ai loaded with Portra 160 plus my Leica M9s, as usual you can see the full story and photos in my Blog over on ePHOTOzine. https://www.ephotozine.com//user/topsyrm-149719/blog

Down Tor Stone Row (Bronica).

005 Down Tor Stone Row 03-000124760007 PS Adj.JPG

003 Down Tor Stone Row 01-000124760009 PS Adj.JPG

On the way to Down Tor is Snapper's Tor.

Bronica.

001 Miniscule Sausage Area 01-000124760011 PS Adj.JPG

Leica.

008 Miniscule Sausage Area 01-1000862 PS Adj.JPG

I did also go ovet to Combshead Tor to finish the film.

007 Combshead Tor 01-000124760005 PS Adj.JPG

Back