Topsy's Dartmoor Rambles

Out of interest I looked at the area on google maps, almost nothing is shown. In the cities google maps shows buildings, even sheds on allotments, but there almost nothing.

bt.jpg

And certainly no name on it :)

You can see that there is a distinct (small) pile among that jumble of clitter but the satellite view in OS Maps shows it more clearly as I can zoom in further. I wonder if you get the newest version of the map if you subscribe but not if you use the code on a bought map. I do have a 1:25k paper map of Dartmoor but it's the 2010 revision. I only buy them when one falls apart. Hasn't Max Piper been doing some work to get some of the 'lesser' tors named on maps? The OS Maps subscription is worth the money. £35/yr for the latest maps up to 1:25k for the whole UK plus the app

Blakey Tor sat.JPG

You can see that there is a distinct (small) pile among that jumble of clitter but the satellite view in OS Maps shows it more clearly as I can zoom in further. I wonder if you get the newest version of the map if you subscribe but not if you use the code on a bought map. I do have a 1:25k paper map of Dartmoor but it's the 2010 revision. I only buy them when one falls apart. Hasn't Max Piper been doing some work to get some of the 'lesser' tors named on maps? The OS Maps subscription is worth the money. £35/yr for the latest maps up to 1:25k for the whole UK plus the app

View attachment 409591
Thanks Jan, my paper map (which I only use for planning and leave at home with my route marked on it) is falling apart which is why I got another, my waterproof one is holding up better I take that out with mr but tbh once I have planned the route in detail and written my route card I rarely need to use it so it stays in my bag and I plot myself with a GPS.

I just use the code on the OS Map to download the digital map to my phone I din't realise there was a different way to get it and a fuller version.

Thanks Jan, my paper map (which I only use for planning and leave at home with my route marked on it) is falling apart which is why I got another, my waterproof one is holding up better I take that out with mr but tbh once I have planned the route in detail and written my route card I rarely need to use it so it stays in my bag and I plot myself with a GPS.

I just use the code on the OS Map to download the digital map to my phone I din't realise there was a different way to get it and a fuller version.

My system is - plan the route online on the desktop. Save it as a route. Print an A4 copy. Then prior to the walk (at home while I have good connectivity) open app and download route from the saved ones. Then I have access to the map and route offline so no worries if there's no signal.
I've never done a route card even though I started in the era when they were used. Could never be bothered with them.
I carry the A4 print with the route and the relevant section(s) of the full paper map (I cut it in quarters for convenience) in a waterproof map case.
I rarely look at the phone while I'm out but my route is only ever a suggestion and I am prone to wandering off somewhere completely different, so being able to see easily where I've wandered to is sometimes useful. Also to pinpoint something interesting I've found.
You can use the OS app to track yourself, however you can't have a route downloaded and track at the same time. I sometimes do track myself (very useful when I've gone 'off piste' either accidentally or deliberately) but I use another app for that and if I want to I can export from there as a .gpx file and import into OS maps
When I'm walking in Scotland I just use the printout as I only have the 1:50k paper maps there

Week 51.

This week I once again set off to find some Tors that are not named on the OS Maps and I had previously not heard of, there were 9 of them to the East of Burrator Reservoir and 2 on Sheeps Tor, unfortunately I wasn't successful this time as when I went into Roughtor Plantation it was much thicker than the OS Map had indicated and far too dense to find any of the small Tors I had planned on. As usual you can see the full story and photos in my Blog over on ePHOTOzine. https://www.ephotozine.com//user/topsyrm-149719/blog

Sheeps Tor.

012 Sheeps Tor 05-2285 PS Adj.JPG

I had done my research online usind the Tors of Dartmoor website map that showed pis where all the Tors were, this is a screenshot.

Screenshot Sheeps Tor Map.jpg

Unfortunately the reality on the ground was dense plantation.

002 Roughtor Plantation 01-7631 PS Adj.JPG

When I got back I did a Google Maps search and this scerrnshot is much more accurate.

Screenshot Sheeps Tor Google Maps.jpg

I hacked my way through the plantation on to a logging track, and went almost knee deep in the mud filled wheel ruts before I decided to abandon the plan and head for the high ground of Yellowmead Down and Sheeps Tor.

008 Gutter & Hen Tors 02-7640 PS Adj.JPG

016 Sheeps Tor 08-2296 PS Adj.JPG

That’s all for this week folks, thanks for looking in and as always, comments welcome.

Bloody trees - how dare they grow!!!

Maybe a trip for drier weather, Paul!

Week 52.

This week I went out on to the open Moor to White Tor and The Langstone, it is an area I thought I knew well until I looked on the Tors of Dartmoor website again and found 8 other (small) Tors that I previously didn't know about so including Boulters Tor I did my own Ten Tors expedition. As usual you can see the full story and photos in my Blog over on ePHOTOzine. https://www.ephotozine.com//user/topsyrm-149719/blog

White Tor.

030 White Tor 08-7726 PS Adj.JPG

The Langstone.

018 The Langstone 01-7700 PS Adj.JPG

Boulters Tor.

007 Boulters Tor 03-7662 PS Adj.JPG

Smeardon Down Tor.

008 Smeardon Down Tors 01-7666 PS Adj.JPG

Hare Tor (Wapsworthy).

021 Hare Tor (Wapsworthy) 02-7706 PS Adj.JPG

That's all for this week folks, indeed for this year. 52 weekly Dartmoor Photowalks covering 251 miles in all weathers has given me some great times and I will continue to do them for as long as I am able so for those of you who drop in to see them thank you and watch this space.

Happy New Year to you all.

Happy new year
And if you bump into me out there somewhere one day...... I'll be the little one, on her own, panting like a steam engine, talking to the cows (I'm nervous of them and it helps - sometimes), with a camera. Most people run away very fast when they see me.... The sheep just stand and watch because they think I'm going to die before I get to them :LOL:

Week 1.

Well 2024 is on us and another 52 Challenge started by way of my Dartmoor Photowalks. This week I was accompanied by Storm Henk who made the trip interesting to say the least and photography was challenging in the wind and rain, however, as I have said before I work with what I get on the day so I decided to stay local and do a shotr walk to Foggintor Quarry in the hope of finding some shelter from the storm. As usual you can see the full story and photos in my Blog over on ePHOTOzine. https://www.ephotozine.com//user/topsyrm-149719/blog

From the Car Park at the top of the track the storm was visible over King's Tor.

001 King's Tor 01-7739 PS Adj.JPG

The "track" down to the Quarry was more like a stream.

003 Track to Foggintor Quarry 02-7749 PS Adj.JPG

Inside the Quarry the wind was whipping around and the light was flat and dull.

008 Foggintor Quarry 02-7767 PS Adj.JPG

I looked farther down the track to the South, there were God Beams and storm clouds so I headed beck to the car.

013 Foggintor Quarry Ruins 05-7795 PS Adj.JPG

That’s all for this week folks, thanks for looking in and as always, comments welcome.

Week 2.

This week there was a forecast of snow on the high ground so I decided to take my Bronica SQ-Ai loaded with Portra 160 up to Scarey and Belstone Tors, as usual you can see the full story and photos in my Blog on ePHOTOzine. https://www.ephotozine.com//user/topsyrm-149719/blog

Scarey Tor on film.

004 Scarey Tor SQ 01-000003 PS Adj.JPG

Belstone Tor on film.

006 Belstone Tors 40mm SQ 02-000006 PS Adj.JPG

As always I take my Fuji X-T2 to record the walk and shoot duplicates in case I don't get my film scans back in time.

Higher Tor X-T2.

028 Higher Tor 02-7845 PS Adj.JPG

It was really cold and the tracks were all frozen over.

029 Icy Track 01-7846 PS Adj.JPG

Week 3.

Clear blue skies and still below freezing this week so I went up to Gt Links & Arms Tor with my Fuji GFX 50S to do some panoramas.

The Bridleway up yo Gt Likns was frozen but some of the Bogs between Gt and Little Links and Arms Tor were still a bit soft, as usual you can see the full story and photos in my Blog on ePHOTOzine. https://www.ephotozine.com//user/topsyrm-149719/blog

005 Frozen Bridleway 02-7866 PS Adj.JPG

With low sun and clear blue skies panoramas seemed to be a good choice, keeping my shadow out of anything else would have been impossible.

Gt Links Tor.

012 Gt Links Tor PANO 04-0623 PS Adj.JPG

011 Gt Links Tor PANO 03-0622 PS Adj.JPG

Arms Tor.

019 Arms Tor PANO 01-0642 PS Adj.JPG

020 Arms Tor PANO 02-0643 PS Adj.JPG

Week 4.

This week my normal Tuesday walk was rained off but Wednesday was a bit better weather so I decided to take my Bronica SQ-B loaded with Fujifilm Provia 100F up to Brandscombe's Loaf and Sourton Tors. TBH it was the wrong choice of film for the location/conditions and it struggled with the dynamic range particularly shooting dark Tor rocks against the light. I did also take along some digital kit as I always do this time my Leica M9s. As usual you can see the full story and photos in my Blog on ePHOTOzine. https://www.ephotozine.com//user/topsyrm-149719/blog

Brandscombe's Loaf (Bronica).

019 Brandscombe's Loaf (Bronica) 02-000002 PS Adj.JPG

A closer shot.

020 Brandscombe's Loaf (Bronica) 03-000004 PS Adj.JPG

Sourton Tors (the film couldn't cope with the DR so I converted the shot to B&W).

022 Sourton Tors (Bronica) 02-000008 PS Adj B&W.JPG

Sourton Tors with the Leica M9 & 21mm.

014 Sourton Tors 07-1000821 PS Adj.JPG

There were also some Ponies on Sourton Tors.

015 Sourton Tors (Ponies) 08-1023614 PS Adj.JPG

Lovely shots. Do you happen to know if Sourton tor falls within the permitted wild camping area?

Week 5.

This week I went out to Higher and Lower Hartor Tors on the South Moor with my Fujifilm X-T2s, en-route I took in Eylesbarrow Mines & Tor plus Eastern Tor on the way back. As usual you can see the full story and photos in my Blog on ePHOTOzine. https://www.ephotozine.com//user/topsyrm-149719/blog

By far the most interesting Tor on the walk was Lower Hartor Tor.

019 Lower Hartor Tor 11-2356 PS Adj.JPG

In comparison Higher Hartor Tor is a bit underwhelming.

008 Higher Hartor Tor 02-2328 PS Adj.JPG

Eylesbarrow Mines are an interesting stop on the walk with lots of ruins to see close by the Bridleway.

002 Eylesbarrow Ruins 02-7894 PS Adj.JPG

I hadn't been up Eylesbarrow Tor before, this rather interesting post caught my attention.

005 Eylesbarrow Tor 01-7897 PS Adj.JPG

Eastern Tor on the way back looking up Drizzlecombe.

025 Eastern Tor 02-7924 PS Adj.JPG

You found Excalibur (aka the Cobra) then. 'Old rusty spear head'.... :LOL:. An interesting bit of metalwork as it has been used as various boundary markers but I'm not sure anyone knows where it originally came from. When I first knew it (back when dinosaurs still roamed) it was in a boulder that eventually split though frost damage and Excalibur fell out. It was bedded into another boulder but then in 2014 it was stolen. It was broken off and to do so the boulder was dragged out of the ground. I have photos I took soon after. How and why............??????? It took some doing. Quad bikes and a winch at least I'd have thought. Excalibur was subsequently recast and mounted in the plinth you see now.

You found Excalibur (aka the Cobra) then. 'Old rusty spear head'.... :LOL:. An interesting bit of metalwork as it has been used as various boundary markers but I'm not sure anyone knows where it originally came from. When I first knew it (back when dinosaurs still roamed) it was in a boulder that eventually split though frost damage and Excalibur fell out. It was bedded into another boulder but then in 2014 it was stolen. It was broken off and to do so the boulder was dragged out of the ground. I have photos I took soon after. How and why............??????? It took some doing. Quad bikes and a winch at least I'd have thought. Excalibur was subsequently recast and mounted in the plinth you see now.
Thanks Jan, nice to get some context. (y)

Week 6.

This week I was testing a new lens for my Bronica SQ-Ai so I loaded some Fuji Provia 100F slide film and went off to some new (to me) Tors near Great Mis Tor namely Church Rock and Over Tor (they are not marked on the OS Map). Unfortunately the weather wasn't the best for slide film so I had to convert the shots to B&W but on the up side the lens was working fine. As usual you can see the full story and photos in my Blog on ePHOTOzine. https://www.ephotozine.com//user/topsyrm-149719/blog

I had intended to go out to Gt Mis Tor to shoot some of the film but as I got to Little Mis I decided it wasn't worth it as the clag was in thick. I took this shot of Little Mis Tor from only about 30 yards away.

002 Little Mis Tor 01-7929 PS Adj.JPG

Back down the slopes were Church Rock and Over Tor which weren't in so much clag initially so I set up there for a while.

012 Church Rock 09-2368 PS Adj.JPG

I shot the film mostly around Church Rock and Over Tor.

002 Church Rock 02-000003 PS Adj B&W.JPG

003 Over Tor 01 -000005 PS Adj B&W.JPG

I found another composition which I snapped with my Fuji X-T2 but the rain wind and fog caught me up so I didn't try to set up the Bronica.

015 Over Tor 03-2377 PS Adj.JPG

I finished the film off at a bridge on the River Walkham.

004 Horrabridge Weir 01-000011 PS Adj B&W.JPG

As a kid, we were sometimes taken up to the "Great and Little Misty Tors". Thanks for dragging a few memories back from the depths!

This might be interesting

There was a zine as well, been reprinted once (I bought one several years ago)

Thanks David, I'll watch that but his Zine is unfortunately sold out which is a shame I'd like to have read it. I was up on Great Mis Tor yesterday ( with my GFXs (Week 7)) which is also an integral part of the military use of Dartmoor.

Week 7.

I had some unfinished business from last week so as the weather was good on Monday I went back up to Great and Littlw Mis Tors (abandoned last week). I took my Fujifilm GFX 50S to do some Panoramas. As usual you can see the full story and photos in my Blog on ePHOTOzine. https://www.ephotozine.com//user/topsyrm-149719/blog

Little Mis Tor on the way up to Gt Mis.

003 Little Mis Tor 02-0658 PS Adj.JPG

Great Mis Tor Panoramas.

012 Great Mis Tor 09-0695 PS Adj.JPG013 Great Mis Tor 10-0697 PS Adj.JPG

011 Great Mis Tor 08-0690 PS Adj.JPG

There is a Logan Stone on Gt Mis Tor.

016 Great Mis Tor 13-2430 PS Adj.JPG

Little Mis on the way back down to the Car Park.

017 Little Mis Tor 03-0706 PS Adj.JPG

Week 7.

I had some unfinished business from last week so as the weather was good on Monday I went back up to Great and Littlw Mis Tors (abandoned last week). I took my Fujifilm GFX 50S to do some Panoramas. As usual you can see the full story and photos in my Blog on ePHOTOzine. https://www.ephotozine.com//user/topsyrm-149719/blog

Little Mis Tor on the way up to Gt Mis.

View attachment 415087

Great Mis Tor Panoramas.

View attachment 415083View attachment 415084

View attachment 415082

There is a Logan Stone on Gt Mis Tor.

View attachment 415085

Little Mis on the way back down to the Car Park.

View attachment 415086

Very much liking these , the clouds add lots of interest

Week 25.

This week I went out to Bellever and Laughter Tors as well as Laughter Hole Farm and the Stepping Stones on the East Dart River below Laughter Hole House.

View attachment 358588

View attachment 358589

View attachment 358592

View attachment 358593

As usual you can see the full story and photos in my Blog. https://www.ephotozine.com//user/topsyrm-149719/blog

Blimey you've done some miles on Dartmoor! I think it was early in 2022 that my wife and I took the walk from Postbridge to Bellever Forest and Laughter Hole Farm. We didn't walk to Laughter Hole House and didn't see the stepping stones. But we did walk to Dunabridge Pound after a visit to Laughter Tor and then up to Bellever Tor.... before making our way back to Postbridge.

I still have a part used roll of Rollei RPX25 in my Zeiss Superikonta which I really should make an effort to use up and get it developed. Kudos to you for lugging around a MF camera and producing some really nice images with it.... Vennford Falls is quality!

Blimey you've done some miles on Dartmoor! I think it was early in 2022 that my wife and I took the walk from Postbridge to Bellever Forest and Laughter Hole Farm. We didn't walk to Laughter Hole House and didn't see the stepping stones. But we did walk to Dunabridge Pound after a visit to Laughter Tor and then up to Bellever Tor.... before making our way back to Postbridge.

I still have a part used roll of Rollei RPX25 in my Zeiss Superikonta which I really should make an effort to use up and get it developed. Kudos to you for lugging around a MF camera and producing some really nice images with it.... Vennford Falls is quality!
Thanks Brian, wandering Dartmoor with a Camera is what I do now and it's nice to have comments like yours to keep me encouraged. Glad you liked the photos.

Week 8.

This week with some drier brighter weather I decided to take my Bronica SQ-Ai loaded with Kodak Ektar 100 out over Yar and Corndon (and Corndon North) Tors taking in Cathanger Rock on the way. As usual you can see the full story and photos in my Blog on ePHOTOzine. https://www.ephotozine.com//user/topsyrm-149719/blog

Yar Tor.

002 Yar Tor (Bronica) 02-000004 PS Adj.JPG

003 Yar Tor (Bronica) 03-000005 PS Adj.JPG

Cathanger Rock.

004 Cathanger Rock (Bronica) 01-000007 PS Adj.JPG

Corndon Tor North.

008 Corndon Tor North (Bronica) 03-000011 PS Adj.JPG

Corndon Tor.

010 Corndon Tor (Bronica) 05-000013 PS Adj.JPG

Lovely bit of the moor even if it is by roads and,Dartmeet. The memorial is just so poignant. Hoping to be back out there in 2 or 3 months. Snow photos next time?
Oh to have snow long enough to get some photos, trouble is from my side of the Moor when we get a bit of snow the families from Plymouth mob the place with their kids sledging. They get up past Yelverton and Dousland then just abandon their cars to go off with the kids, mostly unless you're firsy up there you can't get to Princetown because of the abandoned cars. If the snow stayed around like it used to they would get bored and the rest of us could get out and see/photograph it.............

Rant over.......... :facepalm:

Oh to have snow long enough to get some photos, trouble is from my side of the Moor when we get a bit of snow the families from Plymouth mob the place with their kids sledging. They get up past Yelverton and Dousland then just abandon their cars to go off with the kids, mostly unless you're firsy up there you can't get to Princetown because of the abandoned cars. If the snow stayed around like it used to they would get bored and the rest of us could get out and see/photograph it.............

Rant over.......... :facepalm:

:LOL::LOL: Snow grockles yep lived at Haytor many years ago and none of the problems are new.
Just had an op on my leg so I'll have to put up with the summer grockles if I want to get much moor time this year. The good thing is I'm there before they get up and even now I can probably walk further than most of them

Back