Topsy's Dartmoor Rambles

Oh to have snow long enough to get some photos, trouble is from my side of the Moor when we get a bit of snow the families from Plymouth mob the place with their kids sledging. They get up past Yelverton and Dousland then just abandon their cars to go off with the kids, mostly unless you're firsy up there you can't get to Princetown because of the abandoned cars. If the snow stayed around like it used to they would get bored and the rest of us could get out and see/photograph it.............

Rant over.......... :facepalm:

I tend to avoid Dartmoor when it's been snowing as the B roads I imagine can be treacherous and the last thing I need is to destroy my car on an icy patch or have to abandon the vehicle because there was too much snow! Monday I drove back through Widecombe-in-the-moor from Saddle Tor where I had been for a few shots of Emsworthy Barn - Widecombe is beautiful - my first time driving through there - and the roads I can imagine are impassable with a regular FWD vehicle when there has been a bit of snow.

:LOL::LOL: Snow grockles yep lived at Haytor many years ago and none of the problems are new.
Just had an op on my leg so I'll have to put up with the summer grockles if I want to get much moor time this year. The good thing is I'm there before they get up and even now I can probably walk further than most of them

When I visited Saddle Tor last Monday afternoon I was lucky to get a parking spot in the South car park. I didn't expect it to be so busy on a Monday afternoon! To get the best enjoyment from some of these places on Dartmoor, for sure you have to get there early. Just got a new OL20 OS "active" map to replace my falling to bits paper one that I've had for a few years.

Hope I have got this bit correct with a BB Code, the view from Saddle Tor on Monday...

A late afternoon stroll by Brian H, on Flickr

I tend to avoid Dartmoor when it's been snowing as the B roads I imagine can be treacherous and the last thing I need is to destroy my car on an icy patch or have to abandon the vehicle because there was too much snow! Monday I drove back through Widecombe-in-the-moor from Saddle Tor where I had been for a few shots of Emsworthy Barn - Widecombe is beautiful - my first time driving through there - and the roads I can imagine are impassable with a regular FWD vehicle when there has been a bit of snow.
I have a 4x4 but even that is stumped when the road is blocked by abandoned cars which does happen. EDIT, if you don't have 4WD then FWD is the next best thing in snow.

Last edited:
I have a 4x4 but even that is stumped when the road is blocked by abandoned cars which does happen.
I feel your pain.... and I live in Plymouth :ROFLMAO: EDIT: I'm not originally from Plymouth!

Last edited:
Oh to have snow long enough to get some photos, trouble is from my side of the Moor when we get a bit of snow the families from Plymouth mob the place with their kids sledging. They get up past Yelverton and Dousland then just abandon their cars to go off with the kids, mostly unless you're firsy up there you can't get to Princetown because of the abandoned cars. If the snow stayed around like it used to they would get bored and the rest of us could get out and see/photograph it.............

Rant over.......... :facepalm:
When we lived in Newton Ferrers we used to go for a "Sunday Drive" most weekends, and many of those were to Dartmoor, and I remember it used to get quite busy when the sun shined.
Never went there to look at snow though :) (1963 my father got his van and three vans from the garage stuck in the snow round Newton Ferrers)

I drive an old lwb Defender but even he's not great on ice which is all I seem to get where I live. Snow is easy as long as I remember to take the broom to the roof. If I forget I'll get just onto the main road before a rooffull of snow slides down over the windscreen :LOL:

This shot brings back bad memories. I had a bad fall there about 5 years ago, slipped on a mossy stone, landed on my back and cut my hand quite badly. Lovely location though.
Funnily enough I went for a skeleton bob descent of Corndon on ice a few years back but forgot the bob. Then lay there thinking at least I didn't crack my skull on a rock but I think I've broken my wrist and I'm 6 miles from a car I can't drive. But I hadn't broken anything so it was all okay. Just an occupational hazard of going walking - you will hit the ground sometimes

Funnily enough I went for a skeleton bob descent of Corndon on ice a few years back but forgot the bob. Then lay there thinking at least I didn't crack my skull on a rock but I think I've broken my wrist and I'm 6 miles from a car I can't drive. But I hadn't broken anything so it was all okay. Just an occupational hazard of going walking - you will hit the ground sometimes
Isn't that like going Skiing without the Ski's? Also broken my ankle nearly three years ago, and had a very painful hop back to the car. I have one of those personal locator beacons now. I'm off wandering on my own most times where often, you don't have a mobile phone signal. It was worth the expense for peace of mind.

Isn't that like going Skiing without the Ski's? Also broken my ankle nearly three years ago, and had a very painful hop back to the car. I have one of those personal locator beacons now. I'm off wandering on my own most times where often, you don't have a mobile phone signal. It was worth the expense for peace of mind.
What are the personal locator beacons? Dartmoor sometimes doesn't have phone signal as you know... I am experiencing undiagnosed neurological problems and on the waiting list to see a neurology consultant at the hospital. I haven't been well for some months and decided to take the leap back into work and try and continue my life as normal, which is proving a little difficult.

It doesn't just affect my working obligations, it affects my leisure pursuits too and what I considered a simple walk 18 months ago isn't anywhere near so easy now. My legs get tired quickly and I feel out of breath just tackling small inclines over the moor and my arms and shoulders complain to me about the longer walks I attempt carrying a full camera kit bag with tripod.

My brain wants to go on long walks across the moor and isn't communicating with my arms, legs, knees, ankles, shoulders and arms about what they can realistically do.

Anyway, personal locater beacons.... any further information on them will be greatly appreciated.

What are the personal locator beacons? Dartmoor sometimes doesn't have phone signal as you know... I am experiencing undiagnosed neurological problems and on the waiting list to see a neurology consultant at the hospital. I haven't been well for some months and decided to take the leap back into work and try and continue my life as normal, which is proving a little difficult.

It doesn't just affect my working obligations, it affects my leisure pursuits too and what I considered a simple walk 18 months ago isn't anywhere near so easy now. My legs get tired quickly and I feel out of breath just tackling small inclines over the moor and my arms and shoulders complain to me about the longer walks I attempt carrying a full camera kit bag with tripod.

My brain wants to go on long walks across the moor and isn't communicating with my arms, legs, knees, ankles, shoulders and arms about what they can realistically do.

Anyway, personal locater beacons.... any further information on them will be greatly appreciated.
I have one of these...

When you buy them, you have to register them with your personal details on the government website at this link...

The batteries last around 5-7 years but they can be sent off to have the batteries changed.

I've never felt the need for a PLB- yet, but I was walking alone for a very long time pre the mobile phone era so I'm quite accepting of 'if this all goes horribly wrong I'm the only person who's getting me out of it '. That said I do have 2 phones, one with all the mapping/tracking apps I don't usually use, whistle, torches, power bank etc so I'm not really gung-ho about it. My father visibly relaxed when I bought my first mobile. I didn't have the heart to tell him there was no signal

I've never felt the need for a PLB- yet, but I was walking alone for a very long time pre the mobile phone era
I was that way for many years Jan, and maybe where you hike is a factor but steep hills/mountains etc, and walking alone is not a good combination and you have to accept that there may be times when you can't save yourself. My friends son broke his leg whilst out hiking last year and needed rescuing, thankfully he wasn't alone on that occasion, but his mum recognised that he often was. She bought him a PLB for Xmas last year. I hope I'll never need to use mine but in the grand scheme of things, it's a fairly inexpensive insurance policy, for family, as well as my own peace of mind.

EDIT, deleted, incorrect info.
I'm not sure that's true... Most mobile phones do not have the ability to make 999 calls by satellite. I know that Apple introduced that SOS facility from the iphone 14 but most phones would still rely on the piggy back cross network service, and still rely on having a signal. I'll stand corrected if I'm wrong, but that's my understanding.

I'm not sure that's true... Most mobile phones do not have the ability to make 999 calls by satellite. I know that Apple introduced that SOS facility from the iphone 14 but most phones would still rely on the piggy back cross network service, and still rely on having a signal. I'll stand corrected if I'm wrong, but that's my understanding.
I was just writing the same thing.
Very important with these things to fully understand what works and what doesn't.

Last edited:

I was just writing the same thing.
Very important with these things to fully understand what works and what doesn't.
That's why I edited my comments and fessed up to incorrect info.

Week 9.

This week with dry and bright conditions forecast I decided to take my Fujifilm GFX 50S out to Bench Tor and Combestone Tor then off to find Horn's Cross just South of Combestone Tor. As usual you can see the full story and photos in my Blog on ePHOTOzine. https://www.ephotozine.com//user/topsyrm-149719/blog

Bench Tor.

005 Bench Tor 05-0721 PS Adj.JPG

Combestone Tor.

016 Combestone Tor 01-0763 PS Adj.JPG

Horn's Cross.

023 Horn's Cross 01-7992 PS Adj.JPG

Since I had the GFX along I couldn't resist a panorama.

009 Bench Tor (Lone Tree) 09-0756 PS Adj.JPG

That’s all for this week folks, thanks for looking in and as always, comments welcome.

I thought Bench Tor was impressive looking and this has prompted me to add to my "to-do" list on Dartmoor. I was so fixated on Venford Falls when I went out there that I neglected to notice that there was a Tor out there accessible from the same car park.

I thought Bench Tor was impressive looking and this has prompted me to add to my "to-do" list on Dartmoor. I was so fixated on Venford Falls when I went out there that I neglected to notice that there was a Tor out there accessible from the same car park.
I usually do both but at this time of year and with the rain we've had I didn't think the Falls were worth the hassle. I normally go down to the falls in wellies then back to the car to change into walking bootd for the Tor.

I usually do both but at this time of year and with the rain we've had I didn't think the Falls were worth the hassle. I normally go down to the falls in wellies then back to the car to change into walking bootd for the Tor.
Exactly what I did when I went to Emsworthy Barn and then Saddle Tor, wellies for Emsworthy and then boots for Saddle Tor.

Week 9.

This week with dry and bright conditions forecast I decided to take my Fujifilm GFX 50S out to Bench Tor and Combestone Tor then off to find Horn's Cross just South of Combestone Tor. As usual you can see the full story and photos in my Blog on ePHOTOzine. https://www.ephotozine.com//user/topsyrm-149719/blog

Bench Tor.

View attachment 416366

Combestone Tor.

View attachment 416367

Horn's Cross.

View attachment 416368

Since I had the GFX along I couldn't resist a panorama.

View attachment 416369

That’s all for this week folks, thanks for looking in and as always, comments welcome.
Great captures! They motivate me to try and get out on the moors as they're just on my doorstep.

You can! But cold, wet feet on the walk back to civilization/the car isn't pleasant!!!

I didn't fancy standing in the water, so took a more distant view... I will take my wellies next time. Did you encounter any difficulties with spray on the front element?

The enchanted seclusion by Brian H, on Flickr
Spray on the front element is always a problem around waterfalls I carry lint free fiber towels and work with it.

Week 10.

This week I went exploring Kings, Little Kings and Hucken Tors with my Fuji X-T2s, normally when I got up Kings Tor I just go straight to the tree on the top then head over to Swelltor and Foggintor Quarries but this time I just explored Kings & Little Kings Tors and was surprised how interesting they are. Hucken Tor was a bonus Tor as it is close to Litle Kings Tor but it is such a large footprint I will need to go back again to explore it properly. As usual you can see the full story and photos in my Blog on ePHOTOzine. https://www.ephotozine.com//user/topsyrm-149719/blog

Kings Tor.

010 Kings Tor 08-2438 PS Adj.JPG

013 Kings Tor 11-2446 PS Adj.JPG

Little Kings Tor.

027 Little Kings Tor 07-2494 PS Adj.JPG

From Little Kings Tor there is a great view of Vixen Tor.

016 Vixen Tor 01-0813 PS Adj.JPG

Hucken Tor sits mainly in woodland (this is just on the outskirts) and will need a day of its own to do it justice.

025 Hucken Tor 01-2490 PS Adj.JPG

Week 10.

This week I went exploring Kings, Little Kings and Hucken Tors with my Fuji X-T2s, normally when I got up Kings Tor I just go straight to the tree on the top then head over to Swelltor and Foggintor Quarries but this time I just explored Kings & Little Kings Tors and was surprised how interesting they are. Hucken Tor was a bonus Tor as it is close to Litle Kings Tor but it is such a large footprint I will need to go back again to explore it properly. As usual you can see the full story and photos in my Blog on ePHOTOzine. https://www.ephotozine.com//user/topsyrm-149719/blog

Kings Tor.

View attachment 416991

View attachment 416992

Little Kings Tor.

View attachment 416995

From Little Kings Tor there is a great view of Vixen Tor.

View attachment 416993

Hucken Tor sits mainly in woodland (this is just on the outskirts) and will need a day of its own to do it justice.

View attachment 416994

"I did eventually find a place where I could jump across (not easy with a heavy camera bag)"

Quoted from your ephotozine page....

That's how I felt about the stepping stones on the River Dart walk at Dartmeet, where the gap between 2 of the stones was not a step at all, and in fact more of a leap. Carrying a heavy(ish) tripod as well as a heavy equipment bag on my back, makes some of these navigational parts a little more difficult! I am starting to thing maybe I should lighten the load somewhat, but I do like to have options!

Quoted from your ephotozine page....

That's how I felt about the stepping stones on the River Dart walk at Dartmeet, where the gap between 2 of the stones was not a step at all, and in fact more of a leap. Carrying a heavy(ish) tripod as well as a heavy equipment bag on my back, makes some of these navigational parts a little more difficult! I am starting to thing maybe I should lighten the load somewhat, but I do like to have options!
Me too Brian. (y)

Week 11.

This week the weather was less favourable with mist rain and wind, I had a plan to visit 3 Tors (Birch, Shapley & Hookney) but when I got up the first one I realised there would be no point going on so I headed for the low ground of the Vitifer Disused Mine Leat. As usual you can see the full story and photos in my Blog on ePHOTOzine. https://www.ephotozine.com//user/topsyrm-149719/blog

Birch Tor.

006 Birch Tor 05-8074 PS Adj.JPG

I had parked at Bennetts Cross Car Park

001 Bennett's Cross 01-8062 PS Adj.JPG

The route up to Birch Tor.

003 Birch Tor 02-8064 PS Adj.JPG

The high ground above Birch Tor to the 2 Moors Way was soddenned.

008 Birch Tor (Boggy Ground) 07-8084 PS Adj.JPG

Vitifer Disused Mine Leat Ruins and Tree.

012 Vitifer Mine Leat Ruins 01-8090 PS Adj.JPG

On the way back through the Mineworks I spotted this composition, it really needed a tripod and slow shutter speed but the wind and rain prevented that as I would'nt be able to keep the front element dry for long enough.

016 Vitifer Track Back to CP 01-8103 PS Adj.JPG

Week 12.

This week as there was no firing on Willsworthy Ranges (a rare week) I decided to go up to Hare Tor vis Nat and Ger Tors to shoot more panoramas of Tavy Cleave with my Fuji GFX 50S in 65x24 aspect ratio, I also took mt X-T2 to document the walk, as usual you can see the full story and photos in my Blog over on ePHOTOzine. https://www.ephotozine.com//user/topsyrm-149719/blog

Tavy Cleave.

005 Tavy Cleave (Pano) 03-0799 PS Adj Upload.JPG

007 Tavy Cleave (Pano) 05-0811 PS Adj Upload.JPG

Ger Tor with Hare Tor in the distance.

008 Ger Tor & Hare Tor (Pano) 01-0812 PS Adj Upload.JPG

Tavy Cleave Rocks with Fur Tor in the distance.

011 Tavy Cleave Rocks & Fur Tor (Pano) 01-2457 PS Adj Upload.JPG

Weather closing in on Hare Tor.

015 View from Hare Tor (Pano) 01-0822 PS Adj Upload.JPG

Week 13.

This week I headed over to Hound Tor and Greator Rocks, Hound Tor was mobbed by a group of school children on a climbing outing, not that I have anything against others enjoying Dartmoor but it does make getting decent photos more difficult particularly if those people are children, as usual you can see the full story and photos in my Blog over on ePHOTOzine. https://www.ephotozine.com//user/topsyrm-149719/blog

Hound Tor looking across to Haytor Rocks.

003 Hound Tor 03-8164 PS Adj.JPG

On the way over to Greator Rocks I spotted this Lone Tree.

008 Lone Tree 01-2510 PS Adj B&W.JPG

The Peak of Greator Rocks.

012 Greator Rocks 04-2514 PS Adj.JPG

On the way back to Hound Tor via the Medieval Village Ruins.

013 Medieval Settlement Ruins 01-2518 PS Adj.JPG

A quick PANO of Greator Roacks and Haytor Rocks from Hound Tor.

019 Haytor Rocks PANO 01- PS Adj.JPG

On the way to Hound Tor Car Park I stopped off at Jay's Grave.

021 Jay's Grave 01-8152 PS Adj.JPG

Week 14.

This week with no live firing on Willsworthy Ranges I decided to go back in to get those 2 Tors that evaded me last time I tried, Sharp Tor and Chat Tor. The weather was a bit unpredictable so I just packed my Fuji X-T2s. A change in plam on the ground meant I changed my route to include Brat Tor instead od Doe Tor, as usual you can see the full story and photos in my Blog over on ePHOTOzine. https://www.ephotozine.com//user/topsyrm-149719/blog

My main priority were Sharp Tor and Chat Tor.

Sharp Tor.

018 Sharp Tor (& Hare Tor) 05-2546 PS Adj.JPG

From Sharp Tor there is a good view (weather permitting) of Hare Tor.

016 Hare Tor 01-8288 PS Adj.JPG

Chat Tor with Lower and Higher Dunnagoats in the distance.

019 Chat Tor 01-8291 PS Adj.JPG

River Lyd running high and the reason for the change in plan.

004 River Lyd (Ruins) 02-2529 PS Adj.JPG

New first stop, Brat Tor and Widgery Cross.

007 Brat Tor (Widgery Cross) 02-2537 PS Adj.JPG

Back