Total lunar eclipse (Blood moon) Friday 27th July

100% cloud coverage and rain here in Scotland (quelle surprise!).

I was out last night (looking for wildlife) the moon popped through the clouds for about ten mins tops, it did look a beautiful orange though!

The storm clouds brewing were impressive though

I will just have to toss a coin tonight where to go. Almost anywhere looks cloudy, but you know sometimes you just get that gap. And it will make successful images a lot more prized. Someone will get it, hopefully me

The cloud is starting to build in Essex but still some breaks in the sky I may try the coast. I hope to catch the moon rise over the horizon. :confused:

The weather in London is absolutely poo right now. I can even the thunder!

Looking at the satellite data I would head to Canterbury or somewhere around the east coast if you are in London.
Personally I can't be asked to drive three hours there without knowing the location and spend best part of £60, possibly more on fuel and tyre wear. If you make over 100 tonight it's a pretty good going, and that would just barely balance the sheets.
Glastonbury looks hopeless and ironically it is currently nearly doable in Gloucestershire. Clouds are moving north so it is likely to change

I am going to risk it. I'll go to primrose hill. It's looking rather bleak but hoping for just one lucky break

I'm in awe of people that are brave enough to stand in the middle of fields or on hills when it's thundering. I tried to brave it several weeks ago but felt it was too dangerous and quickly retreated to the car

It is actually safer to stand in the middle of a field than near trees/metal/other people.
BUT, is is safer in a building or even a car, rubber tires and all that!
I have actually 'braved' a lightning storm in Cumbria that almost frightened me to death in the middle of a field, but I had no choice!

I'm in Suffolk. I'm just going to wander outside and enjoy the view.

In press terms, I can pretty much bet who is likely to have the best shot and he will have been planning it for at least three weeks!

I plan to take a few bottles of beer, ride the bike up the hills and just get whatever I can! heading off in a bit....

Snip:
I can't be asked to drive three hours

Just a quick point... the saying is actually 'I can't be arsed', not can't be asked. The saying originated up north, so those with a southern accent tend to miss-hear it and think the word is 'asked', not arsed! This happened to a former colleague of mine, who was from Essex, and someone had to explain it to him as he was starting to use the expression in polite company! :whistle: So thought I'd better mention it.

Anyway, back on topic: What did you all expect, it's an astronomical event and it's Britain, so it was always going to be cloudy wasn't it?! ;) Joking aside, best of luck if you do try to get some shots of it. (y)

Last edited:
It is actually safer to stand in the middle of a field than near trees/metal/other people.
I have actually 'braved' a lightning storm in Cumbria that almost frightened me to death in the middle of a field, but I had no choice!
Definately better to crouch in the middle of a field. Pretend to be a mushroom and don't run. Cars are great because they are made of metal not because of the tyres. #FaradayCage

Hope this helps save a life somewhere!
Good luck out there...

J

And it turns out the best spot was probably Exmoor hills. I could have never guessed from the maps.

I nearly had it pretty much in my backyard near Broadway. There was just the gap to shoot in the right spot but it unfortunately closed up at 8:45 and it is totally grey now.

It will be very interesting to see successful shots and congrats if you've made it.

epic fail - given the cloud cover decided the first choice location wasnt worth the 30 minutes drive. Instead drove 15 minutes to somewhere i thought i might get a nice shot with the moody sky, turns out access road now closes at 5pm. 10 minute drive to the other end and security dont allow access after 8pm. 20minute drive to a new location turned out to be a little sketchy walking around with tripod and camera bag so called it a day. Original choice probably would of at least got a pic

In press terms, I can pretty much bet who is likely to have the best shot and he will have been planning it for at least three weeks!
Thierry Legault?
Fred Espenak?

Only a heavy thunder storm on the coast at Dovercourt in Essex. It was a struggle to see across the bay to Felixstowe.

Only a the heavy thunder storm on the coast at Dovercourt in Essex. It was a struggle to see across the bay to Felixstowe.

that would explain why it looks like the worlds ending to the North East, London way looked to have a reasonable evening

This was me earlier. All tooled up with nowhere to go. We've had virtually 100% cloud cover this evening and it's been raining on and off.

We always have crap weather when there's an eclipse. But today, after the weather we've had for the last few weeks, it feels like a real slap on the face.

rps20180727_222334_901.jpeg

Sky nicely cleared up over us which was useless. At least my camera is dry :p

So when's the next one? :D

Just drove round for an hour looking for a break in the cloud, nothing happening :(

Pitched up at my planned spot, waited around for a couple of hours in case a break in the clouds came, got them in almost all directions except the right one....

21st Jan 2019 for us.

Totality will be from 04:41 to 05:43. The moon will be a fair bit higher in the sky - altitude 24° at mid eclipse, from Maidenhead, YMMV - so it will be an easier target than tonight would have been.

here's what I took away from tonight, my 11 image stitch :D wouldn't it look so much better with a glowing red ball in the middle?
Photoshop? :whistle: ;)

It's in January! I bet we'll have a blizzard on that day :rolleyes:
Nah, freezing fog! ;)

If it's any consolation we had cloud too, it went as dark as anything about 8pm like a storm was coming in, but not one drop of rain fell all night, apart from a tiny shower this morning which the wind has now dried out, so it's looking like I'll have to water the garden again this evening! :grumpy:

Well, the clouds didn't spoil my beer and there was the threat of a thunderstorm brewing, so I got set to try and capture a lightning flash....carbon tripod, motorbike, me stood out on the top of a hill, what could possibly go wrong? The storm fizzled out, thats what! Nice evening to be out though and a nice ride on the bike with no pressure of where and when to be there.

I can only imagine how scary that was! There was no chance of capturing the eclipse around my way, the storms around the east coast were huge. I found a straw bale field instead and tried to capture the storms but the lightning was directly ahead and there were massive forks, deluges of rain at times, I’m afraid I lost my bottle. Hope others had success

Back