TP Charitable Thread - Sponsorship/Donations

I just wanted to add a quick note to say many thanks to those of you who have donated to the African Revival cause this morning.
Naturally the more the better of course so please don’t be shy!

I've got a little two pronged charity question. A good friend of mine is doing a charity event for Save the Children, one of her fundraising events is a haunted stay in Alton Towers later this month, it looks like it will be a great event, there should be a few guests in full Victorian dress (including the hostess herself) to add a bit of atmosphere. She is struggling to get rid of her last ten tickets so my two queries are firstly, would anyone be interested? And secondly does anyone have any ideas for helping her shift these? The event has a facebook page which is here;

http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=146190665394815

Save the Children are listing the last ten for her too which may be a help.... any ideas gents?

I did actually start a thread with this as well... mods feel free to delete one or the tother if you feel so inclined (both would suck though )

I'm guessing Save the Children really needs no introduction nor any real reasons why.... They've been good enough to list the remaining tickets as well.

http://www.savethechildren.org.uk/en/48_12258.htm

http://www.justgiving.com/ne-photography

I am doing a charity raffle for help for heroes, tickets are £1 each, no limit on how many you buy.

Prizes include £50 worth of print vouchers, 20x16 framed print and a4 sized canvas print

Any winner from here can use there own pictures for a print should they win, it was limited to my shots only

Thanks

My friend is running the 2011 London Marathon to raise money (£3000) for the 'Cystic Fibrosis Trust'

BURTONMAIL NEWSPAPER: http://www.burtonmail.co.uk/News/Teen-girl-to-run-London-Marathon-for-her-sister.htm

'I am running the london marathon on the 17th april 2011, raising money for Cystic Fibrosis Trust. This is a charity that is very close to my heart as my sister has this disease. This disease effects every vital organ within the body, the lungs and the digestive system are the most effected. Each week there are 5 babies born with this disease meaning Cystic Fibrosis is the most common life-threatening inherited disease, effecting over 8,000 individuals.
Anyone wanted to sponcer me please contact me through facebook or visit
http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/LouiseTurner291
and sponcer through my online fundraising page.

Your Money will really make a difference so thankyou to you all
:)
Louise Turner'

Aswell as taking donations from the above link, Louise's parent are also holding a raffle (which is to be drawn on the 5th November) with prizes including:

Burton Albion football Shirt
Woverhampton football Shirt
Child's ticket to Twycross Zoe
Family ticket to Pooles Cavern
2 tickets to attend a Derby County football match

Tickets are currently on sale at £1 per strip. For furher details, please speak to:

Emma Turner: http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=name&id=1137411582#!/profile.php?id=1459519700

Thanks to anyone that donates. This is truely a well derserved cause.

Chris.

Last edited:
London marathon 2011. Me and my lovely wife have signed up for the London marathon next year. We are running for Tommy's charity which is a charity that aims to find treatments and solutions for pregnancy problems. I am sure most people have or know someone who had suffered a miscarriage or had a premature baby. My little boy Ollie was 10 weeks premature, it was one of the scariest times of our Lives, spending a month in hospital not being able to take him home. He is now 3 next month as you could never tell he was premature. The help and support we got from tommy's was amazing and we wanted to give something back. The most me and my wife have run is about 1 mile so 26.2 miles is going to be a challenge.

Please can you support us on www.tommys.org/edwardsmarathon

If anyone has any ideas on sponsorship please let me know. We need to raise at least £4000.

Many thanks in advance

Dave

Please dig deep folks and sponsor me for this. It is a charity close to my heart, and I promise to post updated pics regularly to show how amazing my tache is looking. All the info is below:

Thanks in advance
Carl

This Movember, the month formerly known as November I’ve decided to donate my face to raising awareness about prostate cancer. My donation and commitment is the growth of a moustache for the entire month of Movember, which I know will generate conversation, controversy and laughter.

Prostate cancer is the most common cancer in men. One man dies every hour from the disease in the UK. This is a cause that I feel passionately about and I’m asking you to support my efforts by making a donation to The Prostate Cancer Charity. To help, you can either:

• Click this link http://uk.movember.com/donate/your-details/member_id/945630/ and donate online using your credit card or PayPal account . Or,

• Send cheques and CAF vouchers (made payable to ‘The Prostate Cancer Charity Re Movember’) directly to The Prostate Cancer Charity – First Floor, Cambridge House, Cambridge Grove, London W6 0LE. Be sure to include the person’s name on the back of the cheque.

The Prostate Cancer Charity will use the money raised by Movember for the development of programs related to awareness, public education, advocacy, support of those affected, and research into the prevention, detection, treatment and cure of prostate cancer.
For more details on how the funds raised from previous campaigns have been used and the impact Movember is having please visit http://uk.movemberfoundation.com/research-and-programs.

Thank you in advance for helping me to support men’s health.

Carl Spring

Well day 3 and it is starting to form a appearance similar to a moustache. Or as the students at school have told me a scumtache.

148188_453000546276_599896276_5918384_2423652_n.jpg

Please donate and help this great cause.

Every penny counts, even a pound donation will help a great charity do good work.

• Click this link http://uk.movember.com/donate/your-d...ber_id/945630/ and donate online using your credit card or PayPal account . Or,

• Send cheques and CAF vouchers (made payable to ‘The Prostate Cancer Charity Re Movember’) directly to The Prostate Cancer Charity – First Floor, Cambridge House, Cambridge Grove, London W6 0LE. Be sure to include the person’s name on the back of the cheque.

Last edited:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi all, im going to be doing a skydive in june to raise money for breast cancer, there is 14 off us doing it and the target is 14k, so...... i know times are hard but every penny counts and its for one off the best causes, so could you very kind people dig deep and sponser me please, just click the link, its safe and goes direct to the charity, Many Many thanks all

http://www.justgiving.com/brent-jones

if everyone on here can donate just £1, thats a great help for these familys, because some are just not as lucky as ours maybe

A few months ago I became a Trustee of Chancepixes Animal Rescue based near Dover, Kent. The aim of the charity is twofold, to save dogs that are due to be killed (usually going to Wales to pick them up as most kennels don't admit that they kill stray dogs) and to change the law regarding being able to freely breed dogs regardless of health, temperment etc.

At the moment we have free use of kennels but this is going to have to be time limited I understand and we also need things such as blankets for the dogs, vet bills, a new (or second hand) washing machine, money (which always helps), butane cylinders and heaters.

There are more details on the website http://www.chancepixies.com/wish_list.htm and the facebook page - please look at some of the videos of these dogs

Currently based in Bristol, although anyone is welcome to join the group we are trying to open an accessible studio, you will see from our website that we have the possibility of renting premises near to Bristol. Long term we would like to open accessible studios around the country.

How can you help? Well one of the ways we raise funds is through people donating no longer wanted photographic equipment, what we do with this is check whether any of our members would benefit from having it, donate it to disabled photographers or we go to local camera fairs where the equipment can be sold to raise funds.

If you would like more information please email us at donate@photographerswithdisabilities.co or visit our website and navigate your way through contact us to the contact details for Shirley Britton who will be able to provide more information.

Hey All :D

In a moment of sheer madness, I have agreed to have my legs waxed for Comic Relief this friday (18th).

If any of you have a pound or two to spare, please pop over to my just giving page - http://original.justgiving.com/waxedsmooth and donate to ease my pain....

This is going to hurt apparently.... LOTS.

:puke:

To help raise awareness and funds for Hope For Justice two girls are going to swim 22 MILES.

Human Trafficking is the sale, transport and profit from people who are forced to work for others against their will. This trade in human life is taking place on a vast global scale and is the world’s fastest growing crime. The statistics are shocking.
1.2 million children are trafficked every year, two every minute
The average age of a trafficking victim is just 14 years
$9.5 billion is made through human trafficking each year
The UN estimates that 80% of people trafficked are taken for sexual exploitation.

This is happening in every town and city in this country, anything you can donate WILL make a difference

Please click on this link Sarah and Katies Just Giving Page

A really good friend of mine is raising money for the Japenese Relief fund, with a mammoth tattooing session and fund raising day if anyone wants to pop in, donate a raffle prize, buy tickets or just give a pound or two.

Armadillo Inks Tattoos for Japan Relief fund

http://www.facebook.com/#!/event.php?eid=209351589075554

A day of raising funds for the Japan Relief fund.....Tattoos £20 each....ranging from Cherry blossoms...Japanese Symbol for Hope...loads of designs.....all money goes to the fund...Raffles for paintings..chocolates....watch Mik from Mv Developments have a chest wax done by Jodi of Star Radio in Cambridge....he already has many sponsors paying to see him scream....bless him..well done that man for donating his very hairy chest :...)..there will be refreshmenst available on the day....lots of parking space...Deb will start tattooing at 10 am and will carry on all day until there is nobody left to tattoo.....more to be announced...but please put the date in your diary.....if you don't want a tattoo please at least pop in and make a donation..every little helps..no amount too small...:)..there will be raffles for alll kinds of things...so come along...have some fun whilst raising money for the people of Japan....:)
watch this space folks......please email me with any questions or offers of things to be raffled...
many many thanks
Deb @ Armadillo Ink...

http://www.justgiving.com/Debbie-Horabin

Hi all

I've lost leave of my senses for a moment and registered to do a sponsored aerial zip wire slide type thing at Crystal Palace FC on Saturday 21st May to raise money for Marie Curie Cancer Care.

Can I please ask you if you would like to donate:

www.virginmoneygiving.com/KellyAckary

This will be a challenge for me as 1) not really great at heights and this will be 75foot up, in the air, dangling from a wire and 2) I'm a Charlton fan and this is the wrong side of South London for me!!!:LOL::LOL:

TIA xx :love:

At the beginning of May I will be taking part in Living Below the Line, which is a challenge to spend only £1 per day on my food, for 5 days, to raise money for Christian Aid. Hundreds of others in the UK will be taking part too and getting sponsored for charities that work towards ending world hunger.

It will be a novelty for me but over a billion people in the world live on less than £1 per day, every day of their lives, and that includes everything for them.I am used to buying myself treats like cakes and the nicest fruit but for those 5 days, from 2nd to 6th May, I wont be able to afford anything like that. I wont even be able to afford my usual morning coffee. I think I will miss that most.As I am overweight it wont do me any harm though and it will help me to recognise how lucky I am.

When the time comes I will put some photos on here to show what food I have bought to last me for the 5 days and I will post updates on how I am doing. I wont cheat. I will stick to it rigidly. I have already donated the amount that I reckon I will save on food that week. If anyone would like to find out about the challenge or sponsor me my "Live Below the Line" page is
http://my.livebelowtheline.co.uk/Wotnocake?langPref=en-CA

Thanks
Sue

In July I will be travelling to Western Thailand/Burmese border for 5 weeks to build a permenant classroom facility. The area I am travelling to has an incredibly high migrant population and so suffers from low healthcare, education and economic growth.

If you wouldn't mind sparing a small amount of money towards this great project, I would be ever so grateful and the people of Sangkhlaburi would have a glimmer of hope in the future.

http://www.justgiving.com/jjames1993

Regards Jacob James

Hope no-one minds me posting this, I assist with a local charity -

Atfer a friends son lost his short fight (22 weeks) with Neuroblastoma, an aggressive childhood cancer shortly after his 2nd birthday, I have become very involved with a local charity Families Against Neuroblastoma. Note that the website was funded by Paul Ragan of 'Secret Millionaire', the episode was screened at Christmas and featured one of our children, Lewis Mighty.

"Neuroblastoma affects around 100 children in the UK each year. Around 75 of those will be stage 4, and around half will have the MYC-N gene. The majority of diagnosis are classed as High Risk.

High risk Neuroblastoma has unfavourable prognosis with therapies currently available in the UK. Less than 20% of children survive post five years, with the majority succumbing to the disease within two years of diagnosis.

More successful therapies are available outside of the UK that have been shown to improve survival by around 20%. These therapies come at a huge cost and must be paid for by the family.

Neuroblastoma has an extremely high relapse rate. There is currently no UK protocol for relapsed Neuroblastoma, though depending on the location of the relapse further treatments may be tried. Relapses often occur in the brain and should this happen, the only option is treatment in America costing in excess of half a million pounds."

I met my friend through a parenting internet forum, after Oliver died, I arranged a walk for Great Ormond Street and we raised £1020 for the hospital. 2 years on, I have arranged a further 3 walks which all of our now 4 year olds are going to take part in. As I've arranged these walks, my daughter will be walking all 3, but most of the other children will just be participating in 1. Olivers Toddle, more details on the group here.

Thanks for reading .. and please, any small donation is absolutely welcome x

Last August I lost a close mate of mine to cancer, he was only 20. So this Sept I will be doing a sponsored tandem parachute jump in his memory and to raise money for Cancer Research UK. As I know how kind many of you are on this forum I thought I would post the link so if any of you wanted to sponsor me you could.

Click Here To Sponsor Me!!

However little or much you give it will all be appreciated and is going to a great cause that is extremely close to me and all my friends.

Thanks

Matt

Charity Record Madness
I help run a lotus owners club, www.seloc.org .

After a moment of drunken madness a few of the lads decided to form a band to play at the Lotus festival this weekend

More beer led to a debut video and single

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXLoFBjv1bs

Now we are actually trying to get it into the top 40 !! lol If you want to help a great cause and buy it, its available on Amazon and itunes !!

All proceeds to The Alzheimers Society

And you can read more about the band ( some of which is nearly true )

here
http://www.geoffleppard.com/

okay guys..on september 25th this year,i am running the swansea bay 10k race to raise much needed funds for lupus uk,an illness that affects my wife,jackie..

http://www.lupus.org.uk/contact.htm

this is an organisation that has helped my wife,as it has many other sufferers of this debilitating ilness no ends,and it's the least i can do to repay them for the years of care they have given without second thought,and would greatly appreciate a donation,of whatever amount you see fit to give,as every penny goes a long way.

please visit my just giving page to donate..

http://www.justgiving.com/Mark-Jones16

many thanks

mark

Ahh, just noticed this was here!

Straight to the point, a friend of mine is taking part in the 5km Santa Run in Nottingham on the 11th December for the When You Wish Upon A Star charity. She has been training the last few weeks as and when she has had free time around her university schedule, which has included going out no matter the weather at ungodly hours of the day :puke:

Going out at 6am in the cold and the rain isnt something I would willingly do, so I have every respect for her for doing this. (y)

As for the charity, it is actually a charity I am very fond of as I have seen what they do first hand. Here is a quick paragraph from their website;

Charity Website here!

When You Wish Upon a Star are a small charity whose primary aim is to grant the Wishes of children between the ages of 2 - 16 years old suffering from life threatening illnesses. All children have Wishes but for these children and their families that Wish is so much more precious and for the duration of their Wish, these children are able to forget about hospital routines, doctors, gruelling treatments and have the chance to smile, laugh and enjoy life like any other child. Wishes are varied and far reaching. For some it is a trip to Disneyland in Florida or Paris to meet their favourite characters and for others it is the chance to get up close to a favourite pop star of sporting hero. Some children just want books or toys, whilst others want a computer to catch up on school work or keep in touch with their friends. Whatever the Wish, wherever possible, When You Wish Upon a Star will aim to make that Wish come true.

I only copy it as I dont think I could do a better job at describing what the charity does. Im also sure that you can imagine how much of a difference this charity can make, particularly at this time of year, where families may be struggling with their childs illness, let alone having to worry about making Christmas extra special.

Here is the link to my friends justgiving page for any kind souls out there that see this -

Clicky Click

Any donations given will be greatly appreciated, it doesnt have to be much as every penny will help :)

I appreciate that this is very short notice, I just wish I had seen this thread sooner.

Thank You
Alex

Last edited:
Morning all,

thoughts I would add this for a brave young lad I have had the pleasure of getting to know over the past months

Cory is 7 and has recently had and is recoverying from a Brain Tumor, he is wanting to give something back

Cory has wrote the following letter and is looking for donations, gifts and the like to help his friends he met when in hospital earlier in the year, all proceeds go to ward 4 at the RVI in Newcastle

‘Hello,
My name is Cory Davison and I am looking for your help in helping me on my mission to make Christmas a little easier and more enjoyable for my friends on Ward 4 Children’s Cancer Unit at the RVI Hospital.
In February last year I was diagnosed with a rare, aggressive brain tumour. I had a 7-hour spell in brain surgery and have spent months in hospital, receiving treatment. Whilst on Ward 4, I met a lot of friends – some of which will be still in Hospital on Christmas Day. …..It is my goal to collect Xmas presents from local people and Businesses and to give them out on Xmas morning to my friends & other Children on the Ward. – Can you help me??
I am asking for Children’s gifts (new) for children aged between 0-12 and any Raffle donations to raise money to buy a couple of Computer Consoles for the Ward. Please help to put a smile on these very brave kids faces on Christmas day.

Thankyou very much,
Love,
Cory Davison.”

There is details on my website of the event

http://www.imagesbysw.com/cory-davisons-christmas-pledge/

and also a place to leave Cory a message for anyone interested

http://www.imagesbysw.com/leave-a-message-for-cory/

Good afternoon all.

Just thought i'd put up my plea for sponsorship.

I am taking part in the Adidas Silvertone Half Marathon on 11th March 2012

I am running for the Motor Neurone Disease Association to help try and raise money and awareness.

It was this nasty disease that took my Dad back in 2003.

Normally I run a 10k run round London, but due to me not being in the country when that is on this year I decided to take up a much BIGGER challange in doing a half marathon.

At the moment m training is at 3 miles so I have a long way to go to be ready in 2 months time :eek:

Any sponsorship would be fantastic

My justgiving webpage is

www.justgiving.com/simonrbalaam

Thanks for your time

Simon

Hi All,

Hope you don't mind me sharing this with the site but it truly is for a great cause.
(if i have broken any rules i am sorry)

Anyway, i have been doing all the PR work for Two close friends of mine who are rinding bikes over 14 days and 938 miles from John O'Groats to Lands End.
This is all to raise as much money as possible for a local Hospice.

The Hospice is "Saint Francis" Its based in Havering & they offer a fantastic service caring for people with life limiting illnesses.

If you can support us with a small donation, we would be so grateful.

You can do this at http://www.justgiving.com/teamendtoend

And for more information on the Challenge & guys, also follow the journey at

http://www.teamendtoend.com/

Thank you for your time

Andy

No broken rules but I will move to our charitable thread

Good luck with the ride :D

Hi All,

This July I have agreed to par-take in the the Manchester to Blackpool (60 mile) ride. Not a great feat of endurance I know but as it's been 10+ years since I've been on a bike I think it's enough of a challenge and a dam good excuse to make me get fit.

I used to 'do' this ride in my younger years with my father, raising funds for various charaties in Manchester. I will be doing this in memory of him who passed away 6 years ago to cancer. This year the monies raised will go to The Christie.

http://www.justgiving.com/leereilly

Or alternativley PM me and I will accept all other forms of tansfer.

Any help no matter how small will be greatly appreciated and give me even more encouragement to get off the sofa and make good use of my time.

Some of you already know that my Dad suffered a heart attack towards the end of last year and that he needed airlifting to Leeds hospital so he could have surgery straight away.

It was a huge shock that someone so fit could become so ill in such a short space of time and I just give huge thanks that the Air Ambulance got him where he needed to be quickly. The journey took 20 mins, it would have taken 1 hr 30 mins approx by road.

You never think you are going to need their services but you just never know.

I’ve wanted to raise funds for them since then and have now booked and paid for a day learning how to Paraglide, learning to fly seemed a fitting and exciting way to raise funds.

It would be great if all my friends could support me in this by making a donation however small to the North West Air Ambulance.

The link to my Just Giving page is below:

http://www.justgiving.com/Andrea-Kitchen

Thanks very much in advance for anything you are able to give.

Andrea
x

Good evening

On June 10th im cycling 97 miles from hyde park corner back to Yatton Keynell in Wiltshire with my father and a large group of other people from my area. This will be the furthest my father and I have cycled and we're aiming to do it in about 7 and a half hours. We figured this will be a great opportunity to raise money for an amazing charity called 'Sparks' i'll sum it up they research and develop treatments for children babies and pregnant woman.

bit info about the charity

http://www.sparks.org.uk/

Why do i raise money for them? well read this story and it shows how amazing these guys are. This is my partners family and this little boy is the most legendary baby/nearing toddler around!

http://www.sparks.org.uk/families/meet-stars/babys-brain-injury/

and finally here is a link to my just giving page please support them as they may help you in the future when you start a family.

http://www.justgiving.com/CallumParsons

Thank you very much just for taking the time to read this,

Callum

So which one of you hasn't wanted to throw yourself from the roof of your office after a particularly bad day

Well, I am doing just that next Thursday. A 150ft free-hanging abseil in my office building to raise money for The Prince's Trust

:puke:

I'm really not good with heights at all and this is a big challenge for me

Can you help me to get to my target? Any donation however small or large is greatly appreciated:

http://www.justgiving.com/Kelly-Ackary

Come the 1st Dec I will be once again stepping into the ring too take on Hampshire Police in this charity boxing match, the event is aimed at raising money for the Firefighters charity and H4H !

The last event raised over £10000 and this one will be the same, I do have a limited number of tickets if anyone wishes to support this event ?

To donate please visit... http://www.justgiving.com/Paul-Jarrett1 or you can do so via texting the following

OUCH94 followed by £2 to 70070

36688ea8029a2ebc44a9e815b318b7e2.jpg
[/IMG]

Many thanks

Last edited:
As a result of losing family members to cancer, I'm taking part in TrekFest 2013, a challenge of hiking 54 miles in 24hours, while crossing the highest peaks in the Brecon Beacons in aid of raising funds for Macmillan Cancer Support.

Starting 9am on the 8th June, I'll be walking over Pen y Fan (886m), Corn Du (873m), Cribyn (795m) and Fan y Big (719m), then carrying on through the night and crossing the finish line just after sunrise the next day.

I know this isn't going to be an easy challenge so any sponsorship no matter how much will greatly be appreciated.

If you are feeling kind enough to sponsor me, you can do it online here: http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/garethjohns

Many Thanks

Also if you fancy joining in you can sign up here:
http://www.trekfest.org.uk/

Edit: Cheers for moving the post into this thread, I didn't know we had a dedicated thread.

Last edited:
Evening Guys!

I'm organising a Charity Silent Auction at work to raise money for Great Ormond Street Hospital Children's Charity. I've been emailing and sending out letters to all the companies and businesses I can think of trying to get donations of things I can auction off. So far I've had some good responses. I've had donations from The Trafford Centre, Graze.com, some local businesses and I've been given a signed Joe Heart goalkeeping glove to auction off.

ALL of the money raised from the auction will be going to Great ormond Street.

Basically, I was wondering if you great guys and ladies would be so generous as to possibly donate anything? MAybe you own / run a business that could donate something I could auction off? If you do and could help me raise as much money as I possibly can for GOSH then please get in touch via PM.

Cheers in advance guys.

PS.
I also have a letter from Great Ormond Street confirming I am actually doing this and I'm not just a chancer trying to blag myself some free stuff! (y)

Evening all. Well, those of you that know me will know I don't really 'do' exersize [my legs are short enough, don't need to wear them down further ;) ] However, I have decided this year to enter my local Race for Life in aid of Cancer Research UK. I will admit that I will be walking the 5K, but my plan is to photograph as many other women taking part as possible whilst doing it [and a hire company that shall, for sake of forum rules remain nameless, has even very generously offered me the loan of a prime lens for that purpose].

My sponsorship page has been running for a few weeks now and I have been incredibly lucky and humbled by every donation, large and small, but would love some more. In fact if I could double my original target, I would be walking on air after that 5K. If you can manage a quid or two, please please do :help:

http://www.raceforlifesponsorme.org/YvonnePhoto

(y) Many thanks for reading and donating if you do.

As a few people on this forum are aware, im taking part in this years 'Nightrider' event in London. There are approximately 4000 participants this year, riding for around 250 charities. The ride takes place on the 8th June, and my starting point is Alexander Palace at 23:50. I will then embark on a 100km ride which takes in all of the London sights.

The charity I am riding for is called 'Bliss', who are a charity providing care for premature/sick babies and their families. Details about the ride can be found at www.classictours.co.uk and the website for Bliss is www.bliss.co.uk

My fund raising page can be found at www.justgiving.com/nicks-fat-club

Any donation large or small would be much appreciated by myself and of course by Bliss.

Thanks

Nick

On 21st June, I will be joining 34 like-minded friends in attempting to ride a motorcycle from John o'Groats to Land's End in 24 hours to raise money for Cancer Research. The catch? The bikes cannot cost more than £300 to buy and prepare, which means they must be MOT'd, taxed and everything else that makes a bike road legal.

In the bike world, £300 doesn't get you a lot. Think "part-finished project", "found in a hedge" or "only requires wheels and an engine". As many of the bikes may not even make it to John o'Groats in the first place, the challenge dictates that we don't use motorways, so the distance to cover is 906 miles, roughly equivalent to a journey from London to Barcelona.

I thought I'd got lucky by finding a BMW K100RS within budget, only to discover that it had an incontinence issue and was leaking oil from both gearbox and engine. In the last few evenings and weekends I've stripped it down, replaced the oil seals and put it back together again, which isn't bad for someone who needs two goes to hold a spanner the right way around.

983711_10200530119389856_380288911_n.jpg

Needs a bigger hammer

The challenge runs from sunrise to sunrise. In order to make the distance in the allotted time, we'll have to maintain an average speed of 45mph, which gives us an allowance of 3 hours for fuel, toilet and breakdown stops.

427242_4957960541190_543521350_n.jpg

How it should look

So, I'm unfit, ill-prepared, riding a dirt-cheap bike prepared by myself with the mechanical sympathy of a baboon on a bad day for 24 hours straight. In addition, I'm going to ride to John o'Groats over 2 days and home again afterwards, making a total of nearly 2,000 miles in four days. What could possibly go wrong?!

The work conducted by Cancer Research is extremely worthwhile. We all know someone who's been affected by cancer; for me it's my father, who's currently in remission from prostate cancer. Please give generously to help the research to continue.

More information can be found at the challenge website: Longest Day Down Challenge. The run will be reported in Performance Bikes magazine as one of their journalists is joining us and real-time updates will be posted on Twitter with the hashtag #LDDChallenge or you can take a look at our Facebook group. If you'd like to know more about the trials and tribulations of preparing a 26-year-old bike for a trip like this, there are various updates on my Facebook page.

Thank you for reading and for any support you can offer, all donations will be gratefully received.

Last edited:
Hi

Well having been inspired to get back into cycling after a 20+ year break, a moment of madness when out for an evening with a good mate deciding how he wants to celebrate his 40th birthday, has resulted in us undertaking the Way of the Roses Coast to Coast cycle ride.

This is 170mile long, which we are aiming to do in 3 days - having not been on a bike in anger for a long long time, this is a challenge that is going to test us - and there are some big hills...

Been on a bike now for a few months training hard - stopped walking round like John Wayne now :LOL:

We have decided to undertake the challenge for charity as well as a celebration of his 40th Birthday and have chosen the "Hearing Dogs for the Deaf" charity as it's close to my heart and they provide a real change of life for those severely / profoundly deaf.

I've set up a Just Giving page and any donations at all would be very gratefully received...

http://www.justgiving.com/wotr40challenge

If anyone has any advice (can't get out of it now, so don't suggest that :D) please let me know...

Thanks in advance for any donations

Andy

Back