TPF Winter get together

MattEg

TPer Emeritus
Name
Matthew Egan
Edit My Images
No
I will be travelling over to the Lincolnshire coastline this Winter to photograph the anual seal births.
If anyone is interested in tagging along please shout in this thread.

MEP-_C7E4356-01a.jpg

The Grey seals use the beaches at Donna Nook, (nr North Somercotes) to give birth to their pups,
and quickly feed them up so they can return to the sea.
The seal pups spend approx 5 weeks on the sand banks getting fat, then they're left to fend for themselves.
The females mate on their way back to sea, with the large bulls that wait on the shoreline.

You will have the opertunity to photograph a lot of baby seals (last year approx 1000 were on the beach), the mothers and the bulls.

You will need to take warm clothing and waterproof footwear :snowball:.

Food and warm drinks can be purchased from the mobile sandwich bar,
(these weren't bad last year):thumb:.

The dates I'm looking at are from the end of November into December.
This has to coincide with the tides and can only be on a weekend (the RAF use the beach as a bombing run during the week, totally no access).

Thats it for now, hopefully some of you can join me.:thumb:

Look here for suggested dates.

I would just like to add that I had a great time there last year with Matt and managed to come away with some stunning photographs. If I wasn't in Germany I would definately be tagging along. I highly reccomend this trip to anyone that can spare the time, you will get some pictures that make everyone go "Awwwwww" :)

the RAF use the beach as a bombing run during the week, totally no access
But... what happens to all the baby seals??? :icon_eek: :confused- :confused- :confused- :confused- :confused-

Steve said:
:LOL:

I am certainly interested in this, obviously depending on dates etc and personal commitments at the time.

I'll fit in with whenever anyone else decides, and if I can make it, I'll make it :)

Would love to go but it's too far again :(

GfK said:
But... what happens to all the baby seals??? :icon_eek: :confused- :confused- :confused- :confused- :confused-

The RAF have vehicles patrolling the beach, they move any seals (babys and adults) out of harms reach.

If I'm free and I have a car by then I may just wander up, although the begining of december marks my birthday and I will undoubtably be wasted for a week as is tradition. I'm off to see Lee 'scratch' Perry and the mad scientist in Bristol so I hope it won't clash.

It's only 260 miles so not too far, not compared to driving to Uists and Harris this year!

Sounds good. It's 279 miles (about 6 hours 25 mins) for me.

I have a 70-200 - would this be enough? Is it worth getting one of the Kenko convertors too?

[And I have a few Lee Perry CDs too. Used to be a big King Tubby fan as well :)]

Marcel said:
:LOL:

I am certainly interested in this, obviously depending on dates etc and personal commitments at the time.

I'll fit in with whenever anyone else decides, and if I can make it, I'll make it :)
129 mi (about 3 hours 10 mins)

That's a looooong way :(

I'll see about it, i may need to hitch a ride with someone if possible :icon_redf

milou said:
Sounds good. It's 279 miles (about 6 hours 25 mins) for me.

I have a 70-200 - would this be enough? Is it worth getting one of the Kenko convertors too?

Yes that will be fine, its what I used last year. If you have the convertor as well then you will be able to get some "headshots" ;) with great detail. You can get to within a few feet of some of the pups but must be careful not to allow any of your scent onto them as their parents then abandon them.

It will be either one of the last two weeks in November, or the first two in December.

I can't find any tide tables longer than a week on the www, so if anyone can help in this area we need the tides times for Immingham.:thumb:

Transportation wise, I can chauffeur a couple or three from here, or collect on route.

Thanks for the link, you have to pay for the predictions.

I have some dates for you to consider:

Sunday November 20th
Low water is at 13:46, arrive for approx 10:30/11:00

Sunday December 4th
Low water is at 13:21, again arrive for approx 10:30/11:00

Please post your preferances here, so a date can be established to benefit the majority.

I will probably try to get there on both dates, so if you can't make the main date and still wish to tag along with me, you are quite welcome.

Matt said:
Thanks for the link, you have to pay for the predictions.

I have some dates for you to consider:

Sunday November 20th
Low water is at 13:46, arrive for approx 10:30/11:00

Sunday December 4th
Low water is at 13:21, again arrive for approx 10:30/11:00

Please post your preferances here, so a date can be established to benefit the majority.

I will probably try to get there on both dates, so if you can't make the main date and still wish to tag along with me, you are quite welcome.

Ill see how things go, i may be up for both :)

Keep us posted, sounds like fun. I'll be up for that if Iraq stays quiet (we're due to go out the middle fortnight in December for the elections). I'll sign out the 300 f/2.8 and 600 f/4 teles for those with Nikons to have a play with.

That would be excellent Rob, especially if some of the Nikon owners tag along.
I may take the Sigma 800CAF for the same reason.

Can you fill in a bit more on how this works?

Is there a road to near the shore where you park up and it's nearby.... or a route march from somewhere miles away? I guess if it is worthwhile for a burger van then it must be a popular activity?

The only way this might work for me is as part of a weekend away. Mrs would prob enjoy an hour or two with the seals - maybe longer if a major hike is not required to get to them :eyesup:

The carpark is right on the edge of the beach, and the seals are visible when you go over the dunes.
We will be walking out to the large sand banks, were most of the baby seals will be, you will also have the opertunity to get some of the adults on the waters edge.

I printed out the info site mentioned above by IanC and gave it to the Mrs to see if she was interested. Seems to be a yes. She was not too impressed with the warnings about bull seals chasing you across the sand and mention of walking out a long way for some shots did not go down so well either.

Finding hotels and such like is her forte - but if there are any recommendations within say a half hours drive or so it might be helpful.

It would be a weekend trip for us so if anyone has local knowledge and suggestions for the Saturday?

I'd love to go but it's a litte far to travel for a weekend's clubbing

bwahahaha

I would absolutely love to go to this!!

Unfortunately it's a bit of a journey for me. Maybe some kind sole could offer me a lift? I'd understand if that's a no though.. I'm a bit out of the way to be picked up ;) :D

Iain
If you could get yourself across the Irish sea, I could pick you up from Liverpool.:thumb:
You'd probably have to arrange yourself some accommodation though.;)

OK, I'm confirmed for this on either date (any confirmation yet?) and the long lenses are booked.
I've also put in a bid for a second 600mm f/4, but don't hold your breath.
I have another manual-focus 600mm Nikkor for any of you out there with a penchant for doing things the hard way. Ask and I'll bring it.

Matt said:
Iain
If you could get yourself across the Irish sea, I could pick you up from Liverpool.:thumb:
You'd probably have to arrange yourself some accomidation though.;)

Matt, I really appreciate that mate, unfortunately the timing isn't great so it'll have to wait untill next year...

...and there was no way I was going to Liverpool :nut: :LOL: ;) ;) ;)

...just joking!!!... Shame, as I'm itching to test out the Sigma

I'm happy for either, although for some reason the 4th of december has caught my eye as the preferable date.

I will be available for both dates.

It would be great if everyone interested can post their prefered date, so we know who will be coming along.

I can't say more than probably at the moment. Mrs does not want to go after all so it will be a long day trip for me.
If I come it will be on the 4th.

Can we all confirm that it's the 4th?

Don't want to turn up and be the only numpty on the beach loaded down with spare loan kit.

So far, going by the posts above there are four of us confirmed for the 4th of December.

Rob (Arkady)
Marcel (flaby brick :censored: house, your words not mine)
IanC (lend us your coat)
Myself

Are there any other takers?

Back