Tracer's 52 - week 52 - "Texture"

Edit My Images
Yes
I've been lurking here for a while and finally decided to have a crack at the "52" challenge. It's a bit late in the day :( and I am not even going to try to catch up, but seeing all the brilliant interpretations of the various subjects has been a real inspiration.

So here is my first entry: Frozen Bubbles

bubbles85.jpg

A sheet of frozen water, propped up against the window looking out on to the garden, with a little tweaking of colours and saturation.

Last edited:
Glad you like it - I agree about the fish!
you only have 51 more weeks to go....
:D Maybe I will start from the beginning in January - I'd only be a year late....

Ohh makes my eyes go funny.... it's a great shot though so much to look at and see. Good luck with the next 51 weeks! :clap:

I can't believe the year is nearly done!:eek:

I really like this one!
As an abstract shot it works really well. Even though the bubbles are frozen in place there's a sense of swirling movement there. :clap:

Excellent first shot...:clap::clap::clap:

I very clever and interesting shot and one I wouldn't have thought of...(y)

Oh and welcome aboard...:wave:

Thanks for the kind comments and the welcome, everyone.

Next week...hmmm. I have a couple of ideas but implementing them is another matter :thinking:

Excellent. Very abstract, and so many things to see in there. (y)

I love abstracts and this is an inspired take on the theme :clap::clap::clap:

You do realise how high you've set your bar now though don't you :LOL:

Welcome to the 52s :wave:

Thank you all for the welcome and encouragement. I'm not sure how far I'll get but I am having a lot of fun - just sorry I didn't find this forum earlier.

I had several ideas for this, some involving subway stations or bridge foundations....but I didn't want to fall foul of the anti-terrorist brigade so ended up with this instead.

toadstools
toadstool0179.jpg

I don't think they are hallucinogenic but you never know :D

I don't think they are hallucinogenic but you never know :D

You mean you didn't try them? ;)

Lovely dof in this one and the B&W works really well. I like the fact that you really have got down low enough to catch some of the texture on the underside . . . so definitely bang on theme (y)

I'm obviously feeling imaginative tonight (or I've been on those hallucinogens too) but I feel like a little fairy is about to skip into frame and sit down next to them :LOL:

Wow your bubbles shot is different! Loads of movement and bags to look at!

Your low down is elegant and stylish! Processing suits the image too!

And welcome to the 52ers :) Its never too late :)

Superb shot for Low Down... they may not be hallucenogenic, but they were pretty photogenic... well done (y) and spot on theme.

Wow another cracking shot this week...:clap::clap::clap:

You really did get down low for this one and was well worth it...

Great stuff from you so far, keep it up...(y)

Hi Tracer - belated "Welcome to the 52" from me. :wave:

As Bruja said, you've set yourself a high standard with your Bubbles shot - I love it - and, for me Low Down is even better. The composition and angle are spot on and the processing is terrific - an excellent mono conversion with just the right amount of sepia. :clap::clap::clap:

I really look forward to seeing Doom and Gloom. :)

Jean

Yet another great shot Tracer. Lovely DoF, detail in all the right places and the perspective is great too. Love the processing :love:

Glad you liked my mushrooms. They were growing on a bank so I was able to get below them without permanently spraining my neck.

... I feel like a little fairy is about to skip into frame and sit down next to them.

Actually there was a little pixie there cleaning his nails but when he saw me approach he scarpered quick. I didn't mention it because I thought no-one would believe me....

Whew - I thought I wasn't going to make it this week but hope I have just squeaked in under the deadline.

Abandon hope....

gilshie0236.jpg

This is an old primary school in Glasgow, one of many built in this forbidding style in the 19th century. If I were a child I would certainly feel very gloomy going into such a daunting building! A few years ago it was closed, and is becoming increasingly derelict - it was set on fire just a few weeks ago and is obviously doomed.

Excellent work.. spot on theme, and very well processed. That looks very gloomy indeed, and sadly (with the mention of Glasgow) I now can't get it out of my head of Fraser in "Dad's Army" saying "We're all Doomed"... (at least I think it was him)... :LOL:

My first thoughts were a bit to over processed, but now that it's sunk in I really like the whole thing...(y)

Truly Doom & Gloom from you this week...:LOL:

Actually there was a little pixie there cleaning his nails but when he saw me approach he scarpered quick. I didn't mention it because I thought no-one would believe me....

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: See, I just knew there'd be some little fairies around there somewhere ;)

Doom and Gloom : (y) Love it.
It brings back memories. My comprehensive school was built to that same 19th century style - being slightly older though, we all thought it was quite cool to go to school in such a creepy old building.

The grainy B&W processing works perfectly for this image and it's absolutely bang on theme - a great week from you! :clap: :clap: :clap:

love it. You captured what I failed to do . Well done:clap::clap:

Thanks for all the encouraging comments, peeps!
My comprehensive school was built to that same 19th century style - being slightly older though, we all thought it was quite cool to go to school in such a creepy old building.
I know a number of elderly and not so elderly folk who were pupils there who were terribly upset when it closed, and were full of nostalgic memories!

Sorry for yet another monochrome image but I think it suits the retro interpretation. I had fun using the interval timer to get this one.

pre word-processor
typist0289web.jpg

This is my old portable typewriter that cost me £30 in 1974 - a lot of money in those days! I used it a fair bit but the current ribbon must be nearly 20 years old and has rather dried up.

(Hobbles away on zimmer...)

Wow - another retro theme for Communication. :)

This certainly takes me back, too (way before 1974 though :LOL:). I had a Remington portable typewriter and used it for many, many years but I definitely wouldn't want to go back to it now. :eek:

I love the shot. The b&w conversion suits the era and you've made a good job of it. I like the composition, but best of all, there's a sense that you are actually typing which brings it alive. I like! :clap::clap::clap:

Good use of the interval timer. (y)

Jean

Don't apologise for using monochrome again - it fits this image absolutely perfectly.

Another great shot from you. I love the angle of the composition and well done on getting the timer right.
I always find it so hard to get the focus right when I try using the timer, but you've managed it brilliantly.

I'm quite surprised to see another retro shot here - I was expecting a load of mobile phones this week. But I absolutely love it :clap:
And I'm just amazed that the ribbon is still working at all after all this time.

A piece of history..I like it. Nice shot...should be called the Olympia Time Traveller De Luxe.

Wow - another retro theme for Communication. :)
I like the composition, but best of all, there's a sense that you are actually typing which brings it alive. I like! :clap::clap::clap:

Good use of the interval timer. (y)
Glad you like it. It only took about 40 shots to get this one :D

Another great shot from you. I love the angle of the composition and well done on getting the timer right.
I always find it so hard to get the focus right when I try using the timer, but you've managed it brilliantly.
I found the main difficulty was setting the timer. There were so many options for the intervals that the menu kept switching off before I had made my choices, so that I had to start again :bang:
I tried focusing on various keys until I got the result I wanted, and then tried not to shift the machine as I was hammering it!

Great idea for communicate! And really well composed too (y)
Thanks. I did my best with the composition but had to be careful not to move the typewriter when using the carriage return which of course really does move the carriage. :LOL:

...should be called the Olympia Time Traveller De Luxe.
:D It made me feel quite old, and I had forgotten how much physical effort was involved, not to mention the noise!

Excellent take and great composition. B&W suits the era :clap::clap:

Very well done, excellent take on the theme, and B&W fits the image really well (y)

Back