Beginner Travelling to South Africa

Name
Kane Haywood - Rogers
Edit My Images
No
Hi all, I am off to South Africa next November on a safari and I'd prefer not taking a suitcase plus a separate camera bag. My question is really, what backpacks do you recommend that can hold my gear and almost 2 weeks of clothes, swimwear, personal hygiene things and documentation?
I cannot find many backpacks that will suit my needs.

I would not advise having one bag for all.

You will be limited to what you can take on board with you as carry on and I would never put camera equipment in the hold. These bags get thrown around during loading and offloading and in SA you have a very good chance of expensive items going missing.

I don't think there's a wearable (carryable) bag made for all that kit.

And you'll have to be a strongman champion to be able to lift it.

Google what Thomas Heaton uses. It won't hold 2 weeks of clothes but it's a nice backpack.

I don't think there's a wearable (carryable) bag made for all that kit.

And you'll have to be a strongman champion to be able to lift it.

Google what Thomas Heaton uses. It won't hold 2 weeks of clothes but it's a nice backpack.
well it's 11 days ish give or take so just under 2 weeks but i'll have a look now, thanks.

I would not advise having one bag for all.

You will be limited to what you can take on board with you as carry on and I would never put camera equipment in the hold. These bags get thrown around during loading and offloading and in SA you have a very good chance of expensive items going missing.
I have taken my camera with me in my hand luggage before with no problems at all, this is why i want a good bag which can hold clothes and my gear as i'll be camping within the safari as well so i'd rather not have a suitcase.

I have taken my camera with me in my hand luggage before with no problems at all, this is why i want a good bag which can hold clothes and my gear as i'll be camping within the safari as well so i'd rather not have a suitcase.

Camera as hand luggage is fine and certainly recommended, but a bag with camera gear and two weeks worth of clothing, toiletries etc is likely to be too big for hand luggage.

Be aware of the current issues around flying into Oliver Tambo Airport (Johannesburg) especially if travelling after dark, there are a lot of robberies either outside the airport or en route into the city. Try not to buy a bag that looks too much like a camera bag. I know someone who it happened to, the gangs are extremely efficient and ruthless, and are armed with firearms.

https://www.timeslive.co.za/news/so...-robbed-en-route-from-or-tambo-airport-again/

https://www.sapeople.com/2017/07/29...-joburgs-tambo-airport-follow-home-robberies/

https://www.traveller24.com/News/Al...ome-heist-sees-couple-robbed-of-r50k-20170710

Be aware of the current issues around flying into Oliver Tambo Airport (Johannesburg) especially if travelling after dark, there are a lot of robberies either outside the airport or en route into the city. Try not to buy a bag that looks too much like a camera bag. I know someone who it happened to, the gangs are extremely efficient and ruthless, and are armed with firearms.

https://www.timeslive.co.za/news/so...-robbed-en-route-from-or-tambo-airport-again/

https://www.sapeople.com/2017/07/29...-joburgs-tambo-airport-follow-home-robberies/

https://www.traveller24.com/News/Al...ome-heist-sees-couple-robbed-of-r50k-20170710

This is something to be aware of. It's been going on for at least 10 years. I've been involved in debriefs and investigations for a number of clients and/or their employees who were targeted. We also concluded that:
  1. The timings seem to coincide with the arrival of international flights, which usually come in during the morning and evening. The risk isn't confined to the hours of darkness.
  2. Many of the robberies happen at the destination (hotel or private home), sometimes inside the gates.
  3. Some of the gangs seem to have personal/inside knowledge of the victim's travel. I've dealt with a few cases where they spurned rands, and demanded foreign currency ('the dollars, pounds etc) that coincided with this. Collusion by airport officials?
Get someone local to pick you up if possible, or make arrangements with your tour company or hotel. Check the ID of anyone claiming to be 'your driver'. The Gautrain is pretty safe too, but I think it stops running before the last flights arrive from Europe. Don't accept offers of help or a taxi from touts in the arrivals area.

Last edited:
Hi all, I am off to South Africa next November on a safari and I'd prefer not taking a suitcase plus a separate camera bag. My question is really, what backpacks do you recommend that can hold my gear and almost 2 weeks of clothes, swimwear, personal hygiene things and documentation?
I cannot find many backpacks that will suit my needs.
Checkout the F-stop bags!

Checkout the F-stop bags!

Don't buy anything branded. Believe you me, you do not want to be in the vicinity of Or Tambo with a branded camera bag. Do not put anything valuable in hold luggage - even the airport has signs up warning that there are many robberies from luggage per day.

I've been on quite a few camping safaris - are you on an overlander? If so, you want a small camera rucksack and a large rucksack - the rucksack gets locked in the truck. I take a generic canvas bag, with water bottle holders on the sides - it gets filthy - but I don't mind. Has space for Body, 3 Lenses, Flashgun, Cardholder, 2 Bottles and a Book. but looks like an old army 20l backpack.

It's not branded per say..
Don't buy anything branded. Believe you me, you do not want to be in the vicinity of Or Tambo with a branded camera bag. Do not put anything valuable in hold luggage - even the airport has signs up warning that there are many robberies from luggage per day.

I've been on quite a few camping safaris - are you on an overlander? If so, you want a small camera rucksack and a large rucksack - the rucksack gets locked in the truck. I take a generic canvas bag, with water bottle holders on the sides - it gets filthy - but I don't mind. Has space for Body, 3 Lenses, Flashgun, Cardholder, 2 Bottles and a Book. but looks like an old army 20l backpack.

It's not branded per say..

The gangs in the airport will know all the major camera bag brands. Once you're away from the Airport (and Jo'burg) South Africa is a fantastic place. Blyde River Canyon is my all time favourite location. But Or Tambo is a nightmare.

Bloody hell, S.A has become dangerous within the last week..?
I've just returned from JNB - O. R. Tambo International Airport with the good lady carrying two large suitcases, two hand luggage cases and my F-Stop Tipola backpack, walked to the train terminal and got the Gautrain to Sandton and didn't feel at all threatened. We even got the train back the following day to JNB to fly to Vic Falls. I grant you, it was daylight but really all you need is some common sense and be aware if your surroundings.
I would also recommend carrying your camera equipment on the aircraft and not stow it in the freight hold. Does the safari you are on wash your clothes at all? Our one did except underwear, but we took washing stuff to deal with that. I think you may struggle with just one bag for everything, but again without knowing what camera gear you are taking its difficult to advise.

Bloody hell, S.A has become dangerous within the last week..?
I've just returned from JNB - O. R. Tambo International Airport with the good lady carrying two large suitcases, two hand luggage cases and my F-Stop Tipola backpack, walked to the train terminal and got the Gautrain to Sandton and didn't feel at all threatened. We even got the train back the following day to JNB to fly to Vic Falls. I grant you, it was daylight but really all you need is some common sense and be aware if your surroundings.
I would also recommend carrying your camera equipment on the aircraft and not stow it in the freight hold. Does the safari you are on wash your clothes at all? Our one did except underwear, but we took washing stuff to deal with that. I think you may struggle with just one bag for everything, but again without knowing what camera gear you are taking its difficult to advise.

Don’t ever be complaisant in SA. I lived there for 26 years, lived in Nelspruit but did a lot of business in JHB. I never had a problem. My dad was mugged at gun point for his mobile phone.

Yes you need to be very aware of your surroundings but things happen in seconds and your belongings can be gone before you even realise it. If you are mugged, just let them take your stuff and go. Being a hero will get you shot.

The gangs in the airport will know all the major camera bag brands. Once you're away from the Airport (and Jo'burg) South Africa is a fantastic place. Blyde River Canyon is my all time favourite location. But Or Tambo is a nightmare.
My point is they ain't a major camera bag brand

Don’t ever be complaisant in SA. I lived there for 26 years, lived in Nelspruit but did a lot of business in JHB. I never had a problem. My dad was mugged at gun point for his mobile phone.

Yes you need to be very aware of your surroundings but things happen in seconds and your belongings can be gone before you even realise it. If you are mugged, just let them take your stuff and go. Being a hero will get you shot.

I agree with the above, I'm not complacent but just being aware and plan in advance will help you get about safely wherever you travel to.

Last edited:
Why would anyone put themselves in this possible situation?>

Madness.

I don’t know. We left SA 15 years ago and last went back in 2010. Things are just getting worse and worse over there. I’ll never go back again.

My best friend over there is currently in hospital. Him, his wife and kids live on a small holding. Last month he walk out of his kitchen door and got his face smashed in with an axe. We were wondering why so much of his jaw, pallet and cheek bones were completely missing and it turns out he’d been shot as well. Luckily his wife sounded the alarm and they fled taking only his wallet.

They’ve never been found and probably never will be. The police found 5 rounds embedded in his kitchen cupboards and walls. at least he lived.

He’s now got years of facial reconstruction ahead of him for the sake of a wallet with a few Rands in it.

Last edited:
Been to RSA a fair few times and had no issues.

Just be sensible and the usual stuff for potentially hostile environments: third party awareness (too many folks wandering around totally absorbed in their cell phone) and trust no f*cker;)

GC

Why would anyone put themselves in this possible situation?>

Madness.
Because it's fun, camping in the bush 100s of miles from civilisation is amazing and deep down we all want to be a photographic shikari.

I'd never say don't go, just take wise precautions. The time I went to Compton I was more worried than in Jo'burg.

Canoeing the Okovango has to be done.

Back