Beginner Trip to New York Advice

Matthew_S

Edit My Images
No
Hi guys,

I recently got my first DSLR (Nikon D3300) and I'll be taking it to New York with me. I'm just wondering if it's worth it taking the tripod I have (Amazon Basics)? It's a decent tripod but it quite weighty and doesn't collapse down much...would it be better to get a monopod? I'd appreciate your opinions! Also, what's it like at airport security trying to get through a camera and tripod (If I take it)?

Furthermore, I'm considering getting an Nikon 18-200mm VRII lens. Would it be beneficial for me to get that lens with a trip to New York in October? I currently have the 18-55mm VR Kit lens. I was thinking getting the 18-200 would cover all aspects with one lens!

Cheers,

Matt

My lad went to NYC for a school trip recently - he had no chance to use his tripod and security took it off him when he went up the Empire State Building (gave it back when he left).
I know some people have used a Manfrotto Superclamp with a ball head attached via a Manfrotto 208HEX adapter to clamp their camera to things such as railings etc with good results.

Ah thank you for the advice! I'll probably have a look at some more portable tripods I could take but like you said, it's just whether or not it'll really be worth taking as I might not use it.

If you want to take photos that require a tripod, then take the tripod. If not, then leave it at home. If you take it, stick it in your check in luggage if you have any, buried in clothes to protect against any knocks (assuming it fits). No worries with overzealous airport staff then - I think you'd be fine carrying it on, but you never know in the US.

Lenses are a personal thing. If you want to take photos that require a longer focal length than you have, then take a longer lens. Maybe not very helpful, but nobody can really help you there. Physics works the same in New York as it does at home, it's not like you need special kit to go to different places. Just use the kit that allows you to take the photos you want to take.

For what it's worth (which is nothing) I'd take one camera, one lens and be done with it.

I don't think you'll need 200mm in New York, it's too long IMO. My wife took a Sony rx100 when she went this time last year and got some great shots.

I definitely think that I'll need some form of support while I'm there as I wouldn't mind doing some motion blur while I'm there, I've heard of things like that Angelboy I just wasn't sure what they were called so I'll have a look into that! And Jayst84, I get you :) Sometime soon I'll have a trip to Manchester or something and try take some photos...might not be on the scale of New York but at least I'll know what sort of photos I want to take. Damianmkv, thanks for the advice - I'll see what this trip to Manchester does for me!
Thanks for all your help guys, it's much appreciated :)

I take a beanbag when I go travelling. In cities you can usually find a spot to place it and if there is only the ground then that can lead to some interesting angles.

NYC is one of the very few places where you don't need much in the way of telephoto and a UWA is of more benefit (and I am generally not a fan of UWA).

I had a lot of success using primarily the equivalent to 16-55 on your camera and also the equivalent of 12-24mm at the new One World Trade Centre was very useful.

So, if you were to get another lens I would look at something wider.

Here are my photos: https://www.flickr.com/photos/72341657@N02/albums/72157660869522016

edit: oh, the other place for UWA and possibly a tripod is Grand Central Station to get the sense of scale with the roof and also I like to get blurry people to give it the sense of chaos all those people create. I did mine handheld as my camera has in built stabilisation and you can get slow shutter speeds with UWA but a tripod would have been useful - I think you could probably use a Gorilla Pod as there are balconies and stairs that you shoot from.

Last edited:
A beanbag would be a unique way to do it! I hadn't thought about that but yeah with the floor angle it would be very interesting and thanks for the advice on UWA! Those photos are incredible :) thanks for sharing! I really do owe you guys one :)

I visited NY in the film days and most of my shots were with a 20-35. I also took along an 85mm. (All FF).
If I were you I would take only a very small travel tripod and buy a wide angle zoom that works on your camera (and take your 18-55 as well).
There are some fantastic shots to be had amongst all those skyscrapers.

I am not familiar which DX WA zoom works with your camera, so you need to check it out. Possibly 10-24.

Have fun, it is an exciting place to visit.

I visited NYC in May last year, and I didn't take a tripod with me. The only time I wished I had one was when I was at the top of the Empire State Building at night time, but I wouldn't have been allowed to use it then anyway!

I'm a big fan of only taking one camera and one prime lens. It's so much lighter to walk around for hours with, and you're forced to find photos that fit the lens you have, which makes it much more interesting in my view. The only lens I took was an 80mm (approx 50mm equivalent for full frame), and it worked perfectly for me.

I was considering looking at a prime lens, I'm just wondering if an 18-200 would cover a larger range for other use too once I've left New York? Although it's an APS-C sensor, I presume 18mm would still be on the wide angle end of the scale? I'm just wondering if a wider range of focal length would cover me for more eventualities and be suitable in more situations than getting a WA lens and only being able to use it in New York (I probably won't use one in any other place)? I see the arguments for and against both, I'm just wondering which would be better value for money too as I can really only afford one other lens at the moment.

I'm definitely planning on going to B&H, is renting easy to do? Cheers Shreds and everyone else.

If you know where you're staying or specific areas... search for them on flickR or 500px for some ideas for spots to take pics!

Having been twice and not taken a tripod, the only thing I found myself wanting it for was taking a picture of the skyline at night from Brooklyn but it wasn't the end of the world.

For New York, 200mm will probably never get used. The first time I went I had a 18-105 (and a 35) and never felt lacking in reach.
A UWA would get more use, but consider renting if you don't envisage using it much after your trip. Photography can quickly get expensive if you're constantly acquiring new kit ;)

Last year I took a D7200 with an Tamron 17-50mm and my GF took her D3300 with Nikon 18-140mm and at no time did we feel we needed more. We was touring America but in NYC for 12 days, in the end we just took the D3300 out as wanted a rest from the extra weight of a D7200.

It doesn't take much to blur out yellow cabs if that's what you have in mind. You will be able to do that handheld or find something to rest on.

For shots from the Empire State Building or Top of the Rock you do not need a tripod at all. There are plenty of concrete places to rest a camera on to take the shot. Use the self-timer. That's how I took these:

Empire State Building by Ricardo da Force, on Flickr

NYC Sunset by Ricardo da Force, on Flickr

You will need a tripod for those cliche shots from Brooklyn Bridge Park looking towards Manhattan:

Manhattan Skyline by Ricardo da Force, on Flickr

In terms of lenses, you really need something wide to make the most of NYC. The above were taken using a Sigma 10-20mm.

For shots from the Empire State Building or Top of the Rock you do not need a tripod at all. There are plenty of concrete places to rest a camera on to take the shot. Use the self-timer. That's how I took these:

Empire State Building by Ricardo da Force, on Flickr

NYC Sunset by Ricardo da Force, on Flickr

You will need a tripod for those cliche shots from Brooklyn Bridge Park looking towards Manhattan:

Manhattan Skyline by Ricardo da Force, on Flickr

In terms of lenses, you really need something wide to make the most of NYC. The above were taken using a Sigma 10-20mm.

I should have asked this question when I was there last summer for just over a month. These pictures are amaz-balls

I took my tripod with me to NYC last year but only took it out when i knew i would be shooting at night (pretty much identical to Ricardo above for the skyline shot). The only other place i used it was at the radio city music hall, everywhere else i got by with no problems using street furniture/concrete parts of buildings etc. Lens wise i used my 24-70mm for 90% of the time, the other 10% was split between a fisheye and an 18-35mm iirc. The only time i used a longer lens was on the river cruise to get some shots of the statue of liberty. I took a gorillapod with me too but found that my camera with the 24-70 was too heavy for it to stay positioned how i wanted it to be. That said the d3300 + kit lens, or even the d3300 and a decent wide lens like a tokina wouldn't be as heavy as what i took so you may well fare a bit better. Just remember to enjoy the place though, i fell in love with new york and am itching to get back there as soon as money permits.

Oh, and don't leave your monopod in a taxi by mistake...

wow, actually, new york will be the wonderful place for you to take beautiful pictures. i am sure that all of pictures will be wonderful works . here is my favorite picture which i took when coming there.

Unless you have no intention of taking wide angle shots of course. Then any other focal length will work perfectly. (y)

Not taking a UWA to NY would simply be criminal! Some of my best shots were taken with a Samyang 14mm (on FF).

Last edited:
We are going there for two weeks in August and starting to plan an itinerary now.

Went about ten years ago for four days and really looking forward to returning with a plan to venture further out than just Manhattan.

Some places don't allow tripods either. I didn't have a problem without one, rarely use one TBH.

If you want expensive, try Norway!

I went to New York and used a joby gorillapod, more specifically SLR zoom. didn't have any trouble bringing it anywhere, its just made composition a little more interesting where there are limitations to where you can place your camera! but its really convenient and i didn't miss shots!

Having just returned from New York, I agree with the other togs about wider angles. I took my pocket G12 camera and it wasn't wide enough. The buildings are huge. The skyscrapers are huge.

I agree that tripods are banned from some places. Quite a few togs were in the street, or on Brooklyn bridge with tripods. I saw a lot of monopods and a few Joby Gorillapods.

I didn't get the chance to go to the Rockefeller but I did go up the Empire State Building. On the 86th floor, you can go outside on to a balcony that has railings. I placed my camera on the wall beyond the railing (and holding onto the strap in case it fell over the edge).

If I went again, I'd take my dSLR but also take UWA lens and a fast lens (for indoor shots eg natural history museum).

Back