Tripod for beginners

Name
andrew
Edit My Images
Yes
Following on from thread in beginner section about a Nikon lens I wonder if I can seek the advice of you guys again as it was invaluable!

One item im told I really do need is a tripod so that’s what im looking for next. I want to be able to carry it around if out on a walk but also set it up on my kitchen bench pointing out of the window to a bird feeder in the garden to catch any incidental visitors!

I think if I can get the best one I can with a budget of £100 I’ll be happy. Any suggestions? Ive had a quick google and the choice is a bit overwhelming. I have a Nikon D3500 if that makes any difference.

PS I didnt realise I could take remote pics with an app on my phone! I had assumed ive need a wired remote control etc. Im 'only' 47 but now feel like im 87....

I don't know if it's a good idea to think of a tripod as for a beginner as if you buy one that suits you it could last many many years if not a lifetime.

I think it's worth thinking about what you want to photograph and how. For example I like flower pictures so if I'm going to use a tripod I'll want one that allows the camera to be positioned, well, at almost any angle and many conventional centre column through the middle tripods simply don't allow this so after years of frustration I gave up with my Manfrotto 55, gave it away and settled for a Benbo which is a bent bolt design and allows the camera to be positioned at almost any angle. Other makes and models also allow flexible positioning.

So, I think that how you're going to us it and what you're going to take pictures off should be taken into account. There's then the weight of the camera and lens to be supported and stability to think about together with weight and portability but I certainly wouldn't approach this as a tripod for beginners thing because if you look at it like that you may soon become frustrated.

I think careful thought is needed to decide what exactly you want.

Last edited:
Only advice I can give is you should check the load the tripod can carry ,check how stable it is fully extended. As for tripod head there is a huge range but if a ball type head will it support a camera/lens in any position. Weak ones will not hold the camera/lens in the position you want. Definately go into a decent camera shop and seek their advice. I dropped my Nikon D800 from a tripod by not clamping it down properly and the insurance paid for the damage. Now even with a camera on a tripod i still if possible keep the camera strap around my neck.

Manfrotto tripod and head seperates. Maybe 80 for the tripod and 40 for the head.

Don't stick to 100 pounds, there is no such thing as a beginner tripod.

You either get a good one or you don't.

Manfrotto tripod and head seperates. Maybe 80 for the tripod and 40 for the head.

Don't stick to 100 pounds, there is no such thing as a beginner tripod.

You either get a good one or you don't.

If looking at new ones then I agree but with tripods there's no complicated electronics to worry about so the used market is worth looking at. I've just had a quick look at evil bay and the are decent tripods for well under £100.

Might have to consider a bag of some sort too if it doesn't come with one but I've taken my tripod out without a bag... they're possibly not essential.

If looking at new ones then I agree but with tripods there's no complicated electronics to worry about so the used market is worth looking at. I've just had a quick look at evil bay and the are decent tripods for well under £100.

Might have to consider a bag of some sort too if it doesn't come with one but I've taken my tripod out without a bag... they're possibly not essential.

You looked at ebay, good for you

I picked up a Manfrotto Traveller Element big tripod for around £75 on sale and it has been fairly solid for me (I have a D3400). It has a ball head, reversible centre column, and one of its legs can be detached as a mono pod

If you must have a tripod then take a look at RedSnapper tripods - there may still be a discount available for members of TP.

Personally I use one only when absolutely essential - for me, they get in the way and make getting the photo I want more difficult.

Going cheap is a false economy, so make sure to look for reviews on any model you are considering. With a budget of ‘only’ c£100 you may need to look at used equipment. Keep an eye on the classified ads here as real bargains can be found from time to time.

Thanks guys.

Ive taken the plunge and gone for a Manfrotto Befree. Managed to picked up a used one with little use for £80 from one of the used photography companies. Seems to do everything I want after reading some reviews. They did talk about camera shake at max height on his £4000 camera so was then adding counter weights but this was pro talking so im never going to get into that level of detail!

Back