Trying to activate LR6

Edit My Images
Yes
I bought this as an upgrade years ago. I changed my computer and it won't accept the code so I called |Adobe and they sent me a code by mail. a couple of weeks ago. Tried installing it today and it is asking for a supporting product code as there no LR5 on my computer. Went on chat with Adobe and they wont help. They can see LR5 and 6 on my account but say LR5 is also an upgrade. It was, from 4. They say they can't find 4 on my account and hey need proof of purchase of LR 4!

" I understand as per new policy we need full license serial number to fix that issue" they said.

I might have changed my account sign in but surely they could find it by my home address?

Any ideas?

Maybe I should just have pirated it like everyone else :(

Last edited:
I wouldn't mind them cracking down on piracy. It's a bit much when they refuse to honour legitimate purchases though. I've bought and paid for 2 versions of PS and 3 Versions of LR.

Last edited:
I bought this as an upgrade years ago. I changed my computer and it won't accept the code so I called |Adobe and they sent me a code by mail. a couple of weeks ago. Tried installing it today and it is asking for a supporting product code as there no LR5 on my computer. Went on chat with Adobe and they wont help. They can see LR5 and 6 on my account but say LR5 is also an upgrade. It was, from 4. They say they can't find 4 on my account and hey need proof of purchase of LR 4!

" I understand as per new policy we need full license serial number to fix that issue" they said.

I might have changed my account sign in but surely they could find it by my home address?

Any ideas?

Maybe I should just have pirated it like everyone else :(

If they originally allowed the legitimate upgrade from 4 to 5 and then 5 to 6, surely they can rely on thier own "original" decision......i.e. the fact that they know you bought 5 as an upgrade and that would not install without 4 being present!!!

Just how old is 4 now and as such how high an expectation that old records would be to hand???

If they originally allowed the legitimate upgrade from 4 to 5 and then 5 to 6, surely they can rely on thier own "original" decision......i.e. the fact that they know you bought 5 as an upgrade and that would not install without 4 being present!!!

Just how old is 4 now and as such how high an expectation that old records would be to hand???

But the OP has lost his original key and there is no record of a LR4 purchase on his account, so for all Adobe knows he upgraded a pirate version or sold his LR 4 on which means he’s no longer eligible for an upgrade.

Not saying the OP is doing anything untoward, but you’ve got to look at it from Adobe’s point of view.

But if Adobe can't keep a record of my purchase from 2012 why should they expect me to?

But if Adobe can't keep a record of my purchase from 2012 why should they expect me to?

You yourself said you may have created a new account. Adobe will have 1000000’s of account holders, you only have to remember one of them but you didn’t, you’ve also lost your product key. So now you’re blaming Adobe. :dummy:

Last edited:
They want you to pay monthly. I finished up doing the same. Computer upgrade and … my wife still has LR6 on hers. Lost free Nik collection thing as well - have to pay £53 if I want to get it installed

You yourself said you may have created a new account. Adobe will have 1000000’s of account holders, you only have to remember one of them but you didn’t, you’ve also lost your product key. So now you’re blaming Adobe. :dummy:

But I only have one address and they have that surely?

They want you to pay monthly. I finished up doing the same. Computer upgrade and … my wife still has LR6 on hers. Lost free Nik collection thing as well - have to pay £53 if I want to get it installed

That is most likely the reason. They hide everything they can about standalone LR and make it all but impossible for people to keep it. Disreputable behaviour, really.

:rolleyes:This company is just out to make money!!! Urrrm, yep. That’s how businesses work.

The fact you can’t prove you purchased LR4 is not their problem. Suck it up and take some responsibility for the our own actions.

Last edited:
Fortunately, I managed to contact someone with a bit more understanding of how business - and the law - actually works in Adobe and they agreed they had made an error. They stated that the LR5 update key should have been enough and apologised for giving me false information. But thanks for the really great advice :rolleyes: Wow!!!

No problem someone making money. Just stealing it

Last edited:
Back