Tuesday 9th - iPhone 6 and Apple Watch day

Yeah I checked. It looks similar but less slick (so, basically Google vs Apple). Despite being launched 3 years ago it still hasn't made it outside the US.

If anybody can make this work, Apple can. But I can see it being US only for the foreseeable future.

I never view full hd content on a mobile anyway.

A) it's huge. (8gb ish)
B) screens aren't big enough to Notice
Exactly my view. Sure if it comes with it I'll take it, but wouldn't drive my purchasing decision. It is a tiny little screen as it is. And as it is the dot are indistinguishable. It will just require more processing power, thus more battery life.

Hard to feel anything but 'meh' with all the latest flagship phones. The tech has been good enough for years. The only useful technological advance is in battery life, which seems to be be a lower priority than stuffing pointlessly high-resolution panels in that tax the GPU and use more power.

I might replace the shell and battery on my phone soon as it's a bit battered, but probably just hang onto it for a few more years.

Even the U2 album sounds a bit samey and kind of past its best. I think there's an analogy in there somewhere.

so apple finally have a phone with an hd screen - about a *year* after most other half decent phones had one - however it looks like quad hd is already being sold by competitors now

I'll be going back to an iphone when contract is renewed after Christmas. I sold my last i5 as my wife didn't like her S3 and wanted to go back to her old Blackberry, so I had the S3. I just find the interface better for me with Apple. Also the S3 is very plasticky feeling and feels cheap compared to the iphone and If im being honest, I found inintially, the 4s to be a better and more robust feeling phone compared to the i5.

Last edited:
Really don't understand the need for the sneering anti-iPhone posts. I have an iPhone because it suits me. I have no need to display any negativity to any Windows or Android phone. Each to their own.

It's perhaps because Windows and 'droid have learnt not to hype up their launches for the preceding month and then make over the top announcements akin to redefining gravity while launching products that look on the surface very similar to all the others.

I've nothing at all against the iPhone and will consider it in 2 months when I choose what phone to get next. But Android is likely to win because they have more features I want at a lower price. In the meantime, it's fun to make fun of Apple.

Really don't understand the need for the sneering anti-iPhone posts. I have an iPhone because it suits me. I have no need to display any negativity to any Windows or Android phone. Each to their own.
I agree, I also predicted in post #12 this descent into X vs Y

I think it happens because both Apple and Android phones are amazing devices, but very few of us could justify having both, so it's a defensive self reassurance that we have made the best choice, whichever choice that happens to be.

It's canon/nikon, mercedes/bmw, strictly/X factor, persil /aerial, blue peter/magpie, swap shop/tiswas, Liverpool /man utd, blur/oasis.... Etc

PS the correct choices are : nikon, merc, strictly, persil, blue peter, swap shop, Liverpool and neither, Pulp.

I agree, I also predicted in post #12 this descent into X vs Y

I think it happens because both Apple and Android phones are amazing devices, but very few of us could justify having both, so it's a defensive self reassurance that we have made the best choice, whichever choice that happens to be.

It's canon/nikon, mercedes/bmw, strictly/X factor, persil /aerial, blue peter/magpie, swap shop/tiswas, Liverpool /man utd, blur/oasis.... Etc

PS the correct choices are : nikon, merc, strictly, persil, blue peter, swap shop, Liverpool and neither, Pulp.

Sorry but you misspelt Nikon it's spelt canon ffs lol...........;):p

but you can have swap shop..:D

Liverpool and blue peter can go in room 101:banana::p

Bar Liverpool im with you on that one :)

A point many also seem to forget is how well something works and integrated is. The software tying it all together. There have been some amazing innovations in that, together with other enablement. Combine those with the market penetration and the level of consistency in function and utilisation and there is a very powerful combination.

But some don't seem to be able to see beyond a paper spec sheet.

Anyway thread spoiling is a very childish act in my opinion.

Bar Liverpool im with you on that one :)

A point many also seem to forget is how well something works and integrated is. The software tying it all together. There have been some amazing innovations in that, together with other enablement. Combine those with the market penetration and the level of consistency in function and utilisation and there is a very powerful combination.

But some don't seem to be able to see beyond a paper spec sheet.

Anyway thread spoiling is a very childish act in my opinion.

To get back on topic, I think you make a very valid point about the integration/software. The people I know (and love) who are iPhone fans are also Mac people, it clearly makes sense for them to have phones that will sync with and work with their other tech stuff. I'm a PC sort of fella, through accident, not design , so find android based works better for me.

As for the new iPhone6, I think the larger screen is a genuine improvement, and am pleased for the die-hard iPhone folk that they have this option now.

to take it back to the OP, (will you be interested in iPhone6 and Watch?) reply is.... a little. :)

The watch isn't of interest to me, because I just can't see the point. If stylistically it was more my kind of thing, then I'd probably consider one. But I tend to wear big fat chunky G-Shock watches, and that is not the Apple Watch aesthetic!

The watch isn't of interest to me, because I just can't see the point. If stylistically it was more my kind of thing, then I'd probably consider one. But I tend to wear big fat chunky G-Shock watches, and that is not the Apple Watch aesthetic!
To be fair G-Shock and aesthetics don't belong in the same sentence :p

To get back on topic, I think you make a very valid point about the integration/software. The people I know (and love) who are iPhone fans are also Mac people, it clearly makes sense for them to have phones that will sync with and work with their other tech stuff. I'm a PC sort of fella, through accident, not design , so find android based works better for me.

A very valid point.

However, I have Macs and I have Android. In the past I've had an iPhone (and iPad). One reason I currently prefer Android is because it works better with my Mac than iProducts. (Ironically iPhones apparently work better with PCs than Macs.)

Process to get a photo onto an iPhone:

1. Copy photo into iPhoto.
2. Open iTunes (really, a music app that has never really been very good)
3. Make sure the collection with the photo you want is set for syncing
4. Plug in phone and let the whole thing sync. Sometimes this can take a _very_ long time as it has to check all the music etc before copying the picture you want. I've had it take over an hour.
5. Safely eject the phone.
6. Check it has copied correctly (if it was a video then it almost never has - iDevices just refuse to play many videos without any real error message).

If you run out of phone memory during this process then the sync bails and leaves you with indeterminate content on the phone and no terribly easy way of fixing it.

For Android:
1. Plug in phone
2. Drag photo over to it.
3. Unplug phone.

I don't see how it's "thread spoiling" to discuss flaws in a system.

A very valid point.

However, I have Macs and I have Android. In the past I've had an iPhone (and iPad). One reason I currently prefer Android is because it works better with my Mac than iProducts. (Ironically iPhones apparently work better with PCs than Macs.)

Process to get a photo onto an iPhone:

1. Copy photo into iPhoto.
2. Open iTunes (really, a music app that has never really been very good)
3. Make sure the collection with the photo you want is set for syncing
4. Plug in phone and let the whole thing sync. Sometimes this can take a _very_ long time as it has to check all the music etc before copying the picture you want. I've had it take over an hour.
5. Safely eject the phone.
6. Check it has copied correctly (if it was a video then it almost never has - iDevices just refuse to play many videos without any real error message).

Or:

1. Drag photo to sync folder (no need for iPhoto)
2. Plug in iPhone (automatically syncs and takes no longer than a minute)
3. Unplug iPhone

Never had any issues with this.

Or just have the photos/album synchro with icloud and there is never a need to copy in not out in the first place.

And even before icloud. I just had a smart list in Aperture for say four star and higher photos. Itunes was linked to that, so what ever photo was processed appeared fully automatic. No specifically actions required at all. Meta data rules :)

Or:

1. Drag photo to sync folder (no need for iPhoto)
2. Plug in iPhone (automatically syncs and takes no longer than a minute)
3. Unplug iPhone

Never had any issues with this.

Your experience of iTunes seems better than mine. Personally I try to avoid using it except as a way of copying CDs onto the NAS for Sonos to use. And it sucks at that as well.

Or just have the photos/album synchro with icloud and there is never a need to copy in not out in the first place.

Well, yes. Just like I do with my Android devices. It's worth pointing out that I stropped using iPhones before Apple "invented" iCloud. Their cloud sync (via me.com?) was always very patchy in Europe. It's probably better now. But I bet it's not up to Dropbox standards.

Go on then........can anybody find a genuine use for a Watch? Something that you can't do with an iPhone but that will work on a Watch (really, that is the stupidest product name since Numbers) even if you leave your iPhone at home.

Your experience of iTunes seems better than mine. Personally I try to avoid using it except as a way of copying CDs onto the NAS for Sonos to use. And it sucks at that as well.

I had an Android phone for a couple of months 2 years ago, couldn't wait to go back to an iPhone. Main reason was the way it works with iTunes. Each to their own I suppose.

I can't wrap my phone around my wrist :)

I can't have my phone out in the rain.

My phone buzzes, blinds me or deafens me (utilising poetic freedom here) but doesn't discretely tap me on the wrist in case of a notification.

I train quite a bit for off-road running, dog walking etc and love exploring new areas. And have connected health with things like withing and runkeeper etc. it is not always feasible to whip out the phone because it rains, or someone want to chat and I want to pause things etc.

But ultimately it is a new toy and gadget. I was tempted by a Pebble steel but this integration surpasses my expectations.

Yes I like it.

I can't have my phone out in the rain.

SERIOUSLY?????

Sorry if I seem like I'm making fun of Apple or wrecking the thread, but HONESTLY - you can't use them in the rain??????? In 2014?

I thought it was just my antiquated S3 I had to put in a ziplock when I go running. Headphones have a pause button.

BTW Runkeeper says it works fine on an iPhone. Though I prefer Strava and Android, obvs.

But I bet it's not up to Dropbox standards.

Go on then........can anybody find a genuine use for a Watch? Something that you can't do with an iPhone but that will work on a Watch (really, that is the stupidest product name since Numbers) even if you leave your iPhone at home.

Here's the issue. It's been shown that your sync a photo analogy is rubbish, so you find the need to automatically assume that iCloud falls short of Dropbox without having a clue if it does or not. Not being a Dropbox user, I wouldn't know, and I certainly wouldn't claim one is better than the other until I had knowledge of both.
So, one argument defeated you then need to denigrate Apple by pouring scorn on Apple Watch. Did you find a similar need to laugh at Motorola's or Samsung's watches?

It just looks to me as if you'll find any reason to have a pop at Apple products.

Nope, you can't. However I wouldn't want any of the waterproof android models so it is an academic seriously anyway.

I know runkeeper works fine, I'm using it now on my 5S :) I'll wrap mine in a doggy poo bag and goes in the outside of my barbour wax coat (y)

It just looks to me as if you'll find any reason to have a pop at Apple products.

You're absolutely right.

I'll spend the rest of the afternoon smashing my iMac, G5 Power Mac (still works fine ta ever so), plastic MacBook (though I actually run XP on that so I may forgive it), MBP, iPad v1 (old skool innit?) and all the iPods I can find. Oh and the Time Capsule as well - I always forget about that because it's such a clever piece of tech.

ETA: sorry, forgot about the AppleTV. That will be a shame because they just upgraded the Netflix app to work as well as Netflix via the web.

BTW, yes, I think Motorola and Samsung's watches are also laughably stupid. Scroll back to post 19 where I called them fundamentally misguided. Tripling the price doesn't make them less misguided. What people (may) actually want is a watch that can do everything a phone can do. Not a crippled 2nd screen experience for a device that should always be accessible.

Last edited:
You're absolutely right.

I'll spend the rest of the afternoon smashing my iMac, G5 Power Mac (still works fine ta ever so), plastic MacBook (though I actually run XP on that so I may forgive it), MBP, iPad v1 (old skool innit?) and all the iPods I can find. Oh and the Time Capsule as well - I always forget about that because it's such a clever piece of tech.

ETA: sorry, forgot about the AppleTV. That will be a shame because they just upgraded the Netflix app to work as well as Netflix via the web.

BTW, yes, I think Motorola and Samsung's watches are also laughably stupid. Scroll back to post 19 where I called them fundamentally misguided. Tripling the price doesn't make them less misguided. What people (may) actually want is a watch that can do everything a phone can do. Not a crippled 2nd screen experience for a device that should always be accessible.

Well you'd have thought that with all that clobber (including iOS devices) you'd have known how to easily get a photo on an iPhone!

There is obviously a market for wearables. I don't know who it is because I haven't researched it, but you'd think that Samsung, Moto and Apple have. So, let them chase the dollars. If people want them, so be it.

Well you'd have thought that with all that clobber (including iOS devices) you'd have known how to easily get a photo on an iPhone!

There is obviously a market for wearables. I don't know who it is because I haven't researched it, but you'd think that Samsung, Moto and Apple have. So, let them chase the dollars. If people want them, so be it.

Here's the issue. It's been shown that the suggestion I hate Apple products is rubbish, so you find the need to automatically assume that my use of them is in some way defective without having a clue if it is or not.

It just looks to me as if you'll find any reason to have a pop at me.

I don't think that is a particular fair response. As I've highlighted before even pre iCloud or MobileMe it was incredibly easy.

But hey as Chris Evans says it is only easy when you know the answer.

I never use Itunes to get anything onto an iphone from a mac. It is laughably awful.

Photos and music are easy. Use the cloud. Involves doing absolutely nothing at all. I just copy photo into iphoto and it is there on iphone and ipad in the photostream. No effort.

Calendar integration is the same. No effort.

The thing that really annoys me intensely about IOS/MacOSx is that something really easy such as copying any kind of file onto an ipad or iphone using airdrop is impossible. To me that is exactly what airdrop is for. Copying files between devices. Not being able to do it with a mac to an ipad is frustrating in the extreme.

Can't you have both?:p
I'd have a 128gb iphone 6, but I can't because ......I have a wife:LOL:

SEVeyesB08_th.gif

The thing that really annoys me intensely about IOS/MacOSx is that something really easy such as copying any kind of file onto an ipad or iphone using airdrop is impossible. To me that is exactly what airdrop is for. Copying files between devices. Not being able to do it with a mac to an ipad is frustrating in the extreme.
Totally agree with you! I do believe we will be able to very soon tho!

After watching the keynote, i want a watch!!

Have an iPhone 5 and very tempted by the 6.

Interesting... they finally matched the screen of Samsung Galaxy Nexus released quite a while ago. Let us praise the Apple and rejoice.

Why am I not bothered when it is so attractive and more affordable than ever? :)

If that is all you can see than I'm not surprised about your childish snipe...Even after a friendly request to cut it out (in general), why do you feel the need to keep going on....

Back