Tuesday 9th - iPhone 6 and Apple Watch day

Here's an interesting review of the Apple Watch.

Interesting review. And I totally get the bit where he says "a market leader in a category no one really asked for". The same could be said of the iPad (at launch, people were questioning if there were really a market for it - now we know there's a huge market). This is actually what Apple do best - they make fantastically engineered products that people don't know they want yet. It's undoubtedly the best smart watch ever made. The only question now is whether people genuinely want/need a smart watch - or rather if they are prepared to pay for it. I don't believe a large enough number are - but then I've been wrong before (so have Apple BTW......Newton...... :) )

BTW there was a hilarious article on R4 this morning about people complaining about the free U2 album. Best comment was "we really are scraping the barrel of 1st world problems".

Looks like the O2 website doesn't want to sell me a phone for my wife :)

For me i find the smart watches (from all makers) to be a bit gimmicky and a fad that will eventually pass.
Its funny because in my mind i cant help but get past the vision of everyone with a smart watch having a mullet hair style, tight black leather trousers, a leather jacket and a flashing red LED light attached to their car

Did anyone order one today? I'm going to wait till I see and hold them before I decide which one I'll get and in which colour.

Did anyone order one today? I'm going to wait till I see and hold them before I decide which one I'll get and in which colour.

I was online and ready to order at 8, but didn't, like you I think I want to see and hold first, I still have a 5c to use, and I'm not really missing my 5s which I sold last week.

i managed to order iphone 6 128gb.. pick it up release day, didnt fancy the larger 6+ though, little to big for my liking..
So now just need to sell a my month old 5s 64gb (replaced on insurance)

Bit of blue peter by my daughters. 6+ easily fits in one hand with thumb reach all over. And once slotted in my pocket no one could tell whether I was happy to see them. 6+ it is.

View attachment 20463

Sod it, just reserved an iPhone 6 to collect at my local Apple Store next Friday.

Just reserved and paid deposit on an iPhone 6 64gb at my local O2 store today and the shop system only has four left in whole of Oxfordshire! Gulp, they're selling fast

my missus took me along to help her with her phone upgrade this weekend she had an iPhone 4 she looked at the 5 and talked about the 6 with the very helpfull shop chappie.... and we left with a samsung S4 mini and she loves it in her words so much more modern than the apple stuff

Can anyone remember what the original question was??

Oh yes - who's interested in the iPhone 6 and the Apple Watch?

Debated over which size to get and plumped for the plus (128gb) but will have the option to return it if not happy. As for the watch ... well I couldn't really see the point - until I saw the presentation and decided it looked quite neat.

Because the 6 plus is so big (which will be great for various, obvious reasons) it may be handy to have the watch to check on incoming comms rather than fishing the phone out of wherever it's being kept.

Last edited:
Got my 6 plus yesterday. It is great. Not too big at all, bar the first look when opening. I'm very pleased with it.

I thought the watch looked great until I found out you can't really use it without the iPhone.

How true is this.

For example the health stuff do you need the phone to be on you when you are running in order to track all the stuff etc?

I thought the watch looked great until I found out you can't really use it without the iPhone.

How true is this.

For example the health stuff do you need the phone to be on you when you are running in order to track all the stuff etc?
I understand you need the phone for gps tracking. It can do the rest itself.

Wouldn't it need gps in order to track your run?

What about receiving text messages? I presume it doesn't have a sim card in it?

Please elaborate

Last I read (and this was a while ago and I haven't been keeping up), Apple haven't confirmed what, if anything, on the watch will work without an iPhone. It's clear you need an iPhone for all the good stuff, but what about if you left your phone at home and just wanted to wear your watch?

AFAIK there isn't yet a clear statement about whether it will even tell the time without having an iPhone within "range".

Wouldn't it need gps in order to track your run?

What about receiving text messages? I presume it doesn't have a sim card in it?
It doesn't.

Well yes it is not a phone. So the good thing is that you don't get distracted during you run with text messages :)

Last I read (and this was a while ago and I haven't been keeping up), Apple haven't confirmed what, if anything, on the watch will work without an iPhone. It's clear you need an iPhone for all the good stuff, but what about if you left your phone at home and just wanted to wear your watch?

AFAIK there isn't yet a clear statement about whether it will even tell the time without having an iPhone within "range".
Maybe I've been assuming things from watching the watch specific keynote, but I thought it was pretty clear. And yes it will tell the time without s phone ;)

It doesn't.

Well yes it is not a phone. So the good thing is that you don't get distracted during you run with text messages :)

Surely that would just be a personal preference you would change as a notification?

You sound like you have a better understanding of what will and won't work so can you explain in the instance of leaving your phone at home. What can and can't you do with it at work?

Email? Texts? Directions?

What else other than telling the time can it do without having your phone in range?

Please elaborate

I may have misunderstood.

I read your post as not having an iPhone at all as opposed to having one but just not having if with you at certain times when you'd be using the watch.

Clearly, not having an iPhone at all would render the watch pretty useless.

It's not going to give you anything that requires external data unless you have the phone. It is not a standalone cellular device.

Maybe I've been assuming things from watching the watch specific keynote, but I thought it was pretty clear. And yes it will tell the time without s phone ;)

Yeah, I'd be amazed if it didn't tell the time. But I'm also struggling to find a definitive statement from Apple on what will or won't work if you don't have an iPone with you. Or if the phone battery runs out.

Can it still check your heart rate*, pace**, location**? Will it remember readings until it connects?

It's very very cool - but only as an alternative to getting your phone out of your pocket - all I can see that it does that the required phone doesn't is read your pulse.

---------

* maybe
** probably not

It's not going to give you anything that requires external data unless you have the phone. It is not a standalone cellular device.

I find it bizarre.

So to properly use the device I have to have my iPhone with me. In which case if I have my iPhone with me then why do I need the watch I can do all of that on the phone instead.

I must be missing the point completely! I think the fact it needs to be connected to your phone to do anything other than tell the time renders it completely useless.

I must be missing the point completely! I think the fact it needs to be connected to your phone to do anything other than tell the time renders it completely useless.

Reading around the web, it looks like there might have been a plan to put some other medical style sensors into it (for example a glucose monitor). This would have made it the ultimate wearable health tracker. But it seems they ended up just putting a pulse rate monitor in it which limits it to a very clever second screen for your phone. Maybe version 2 will do more.....?

Smart watches are an accompaniment to smartphones. They are not standalone devices.

Not much more to say really

Smart watches are an accompaniment to smartphones. They are not standalone devices.

Not much more to say really

But there is absolutely no reason why they can't be standalone devices.

How big is a gps tracker? Why can't it be in the phone?

And since iPads can have data why not a smartwatch. Obviously it doesn't need to be able to recieve and make phone calls but having the ability to have data and gps for the directions feature. Receiving notifications to digest (not necessarily respond to) would be completely possible.

Looks like the samsung gear s can do it so that proves it can be done

Last edited:
But there is absolutely no reason why they can't be standalone devices.

'xactly. Apple don't follow fashion (or they didn't used to) they set them. It's for them to tell us what a smart watch can do.

How big is a gps tracker? Why can't it be in the phone?

The watch I have on my wrist right now has a GPS chip in it. The new version of it will Bluetooth to an iPhone and display text messages etc. It's not a "smart" watch.

Not sure iPad is comparable unless you want a 3G/4G data price plan for your phone??

The point is I don't expect it to be completely standalone. To get the most out of it sure have it pair with a phone and it goes on steroids.

But some of the standard features like gps and notifications should be able to be handled be itself otherwise I really can't see the point.

If my phone has to be in my pocket then I may as well read the notification on it rather than spend £300 on something else that's effectively just a second screen for my phone.

Bizarre behaviour from apple

How are the notifications going to get to the phone unless it's a cellular device in its own right?

How are the notifications going to get to the phone unless it's a cellular device in its own right?

Exactly. So it should have 3G/4g just like the samsung watch/iPad does.

Apple could have created some new SIM card pairing technology that matches your data plan on your phone to your smart watch so that it can use your plan on it's own with it's own duplicate micro sim especially created for the watch

It is quite simple if you want an all singing dancing battery hog including its own call/data modem and gps locator then this won't be for you. Very simple indeed.

Now I'm sure it will come one day, currently Im not aware of any such device on the market that i would wear on my wrist.

Last edited:
Back