Typhoon....call sign Havoc.

Hahaaaaaa!

Look, he's an old man, not in the best of health with too much time on his hands and this is enjoyment for him.
That's how it comes across. Either that or he is on the autistic spectrum, maybe asbergers as he is certainly fixated on this subject.

Either way his posting in this fashion is derogatory to this forum certainly.

Hahaaaaaa!

Look, he's an old man, not in the best of health with too much time on his hands and this is enjoyment for him.
That's how it comes across. Either that or he is on the autistic spectrum, maybe asbergers as he is certainly fixated on this subject.

Either way his posting in this fashion is derogatory to this forum certainly.

Ban him to the Bird Forum ... it's been quiet for a few weeks!!!

I don't get what he is trying to get from this TBH. Even if it was a composite (which it obviously isn't), then what's up with that? It's not hurting anyone. It's just an image on the internet.

If all he has to worry about in life is if an image is a composite or not, then he's got a pretty damn good life! I wish that was my only worry

'IF' it were a composite, then why?

I'm sure Wales is lovely, I have never been. But if had taken an awesome shot of a military jet and wanted to jazz up the image a bit, I'm not sure the side of a Welsh hill is what I would drop it onto.

'IF' it were a composite, then why?

I'm sure Wales is lovely, I have never been. But if had taken an awesome shot of a military jet and wanted to jazz up the image a bit, I'm not sure the side of a Welsh hill is what I would drop it onto.

Exactly. As you say, the question really is "Why" (assuming old Dick was correct) would the OP do a composite.

All that time and effort to move a plane a few feet to the left. Why would the OP do that? What would be the benefit.

Old Dick was/is clearly seeing something we are not.

Or he's a troll, or mentally unstable, or a crazy old coot. Who knows. But if he entertains him, let him carry on. Afterall, it's created a rather, erm, interesting thread :D I'm sure it'll be doing TP a lot of good in the online world of SEO, SERP Rankings and Backlinks :D

Come on @Richard C. Jones
Rob had been more than patient with you.
You have analysed the data Rob sent you with a closed mind. In order to analyse data effectively you must keep an open mind so that you come to the right conclusion.
Everyone on here, bar you, has looked at all the data Rob has provided to you and we have all come to the same conclusion.
I really don't get why you just can't be adult enough to offer an unreserved apology to Rob.

FWIW, I really don't think Richard should be allowed to continue his membership of this forum. We are all here to share our love of photography and to learn from others. We are NOT here to have our work discredited or to be branded as liars and whilst entertaining in this case we are not here to read clap trap posted by keyboard warriors.

Apologise today, if not I suggest you delete your profile and take your childish antics somewhere else.
If neither of these happen may I suggest that someone bans him.

In the mean time I'm off to look for the ignore function because I'm fed up of reading the pathetic mans posts.

Careful you'll be accused of being a 'peanut chucker' next !

Capturing a fast moving jet in focus and at a stunning attitude has to be one of the most difficult things to accomplish in photography in my opinion and I'm always impressed by the images in this thread. Rob's Images are excellent as I have already stayed.

That said, using layers (composites) are a perfectly acceptable and legitimate process. It's not as if it's a brand new technique, masks and double burns was originally a darkroom technique.

I stumbled onto this thread during my lunchtime wander on here. Great images I thought. I then saw there were 16 pages. As a result, it's been 30 minutes of my lunchtime I'm never going to get back. I have half eaten sarnies & an orange club biscuit that I've not had time to touch.

Once again though, fantastic images

Capturing a fast moving jet in focus and at a stunning attitude has to be one of the most difficult things to accomplish in photography in my opinion and I'm always impressed by the images in this thread. Rob's Images are excellent as I have already stayed.

That said, using layers (composites) are a perfectly acceptable and legitimate process. It's not as if it's a brand new technique, masks and double burns was originally a darkroom technique.

I don't think anyone's denying that it's a legitimate process / technique; I think what's rubbing folk up the wrong way was that Richard jumped straight in with an absolute assertion that the images are composite, and when corrected that he then asserted that the OP was lying.
He said he could prove he was correct, and failed on an epic scale.
Now he's too much of a coward to step into the thread, apologise (rather profusely, I'd say) to Rob for questioning his honesty, and at least try to claw back a shred of dignity.

As this guy has tried to sue a group of bikers doing good work for a cancer charity I'd say he probably doesn't give a toss what others think of him.

He's a sad old man caressing his beloved MF digital camera and cuddling up to his pet Moose he calls "Wifey".
If he hears the sound of a motorcycle his eyes become wide and staring, he leaps up from his Parker Knoll recliner and grabs his blunderbus from the woodshed, only to find it was his neighbour on his ride on lawn mower.
He shuffles back to his lair muttering darkly to himself...........................

Gaz it's easier to stop at home and do them!
:D:D:D:D

easy way to spot that its not a composite - there are no flying meerkats, dragons or 100ft women (anyone who remembers the "how would you edit this photo" game will know what i mean)

random point, is it actually possible to edit a raw file and resave it in raw format ? - I guess it must be as Canon brought in the image verification data function and accompanying software for legal purposes, but it isnt a function offered in most photoeditors

more likely that I don't know what I am doing :LOL:

Not the blacks so much, but shadow detail, eg under the top drop tank. Same sort of issue as I get with my D7100 (compared to my D700 which can be pushed a few stops before seeing any problem).

I needed to do a lot more than that to get the same contrast and clarity. What sw are you using? If lightroom, what camera calibration profile are you using?

Ta!

btw. Rob, say if you think this is off topic for your thread and I will start another one to discuss editing techniques......

I'm using LR and I forgot to say the other thing I did was set camera calibration to vivid. Not saying I am getting it the same as the OP (and probably if he started from scratch again, neither would he unless using presets) but I quite like it and at quick glance it looks like it could have come from the same camera whereas the raw most definitely didn't.

I used to love the shadow detail in my D700 :)

I should introduce him to my mate Colin and his titan gecko :D

True. TBH, I have refrained from name calling and just read the thread. Also, he his entitled to his opinion. But he doesn't have to force his opinions on others, or go out of his way to disprove others.....

You know what, in real life he is actually probably a really nice chap.

[QUOTE="
You know what, in real life he is actually probably a really nice chap.[/QUOTE]

If you don't ride motorcycles and agree with everything he says and never question him.

To be fair hes old and possibly not quite right - your typical cantankerous old man ... we've got one in the village where my mum lives who's got a thing about skateboarders, and gliders, and the noise from the car wash (and numerous other things) ...

To be fair hes old and possibly not quite right - your typical cantankerous old man ... we've got one in the village where my mum lives who's got a thing about skateboarders, and gliders, and the noise from the car wash (and numerous other things) ...

just be careful Sir!!!!!

I'm guessing there is no apology yet.
I wouldn't know, I've got the cock on ignore

Nothing yet - we'll let you know , although the formation fly pass of flying pigs followed by Satan in search of some antifreeze might also be a clue (be aware that the mods don't like people boasting about whos on ignore - its usually a 24hour ban , although dick got off with a gentle reminder when he did it to T)

Last edited:
Well he's back on line. I've had several "like" notifications.... So has everyone else by the looks of things.

No it's great.i use CS5 and jet was not selected at all...sorry Dick but that was another mistake you made.
I was using lightroom, but if you didn't do any selection stuff then I doubt it is much different.

I'm using LR and I forgot to say the other thing I did was set camera calibration to vivid. Not saying I am getting it the same as the OP (and probably if he started from scratch again, neither would he unless using presets) but I quite like it and at quick glance it looks like it could have come from the same camera whereas the raw most definitely didn't.

I used to love the shadow detail in my D700 :)
I think that might be it. I just looked back and realised I had it set to neutral which probably wasn't helping at all. I think my biggest problem is I have just got used to the D700. It takes such a silly amount of contrast/clarity/saturation etc compared to my D7100 that I think I might have got a bit lazy ;)
You are right, just using standard and it looks a lot better.

Back