Typhoons Scrambled To Intercept Russian Bomber!

Edit My Images
No
http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2007380903,00.html

This was the day I was at RAF Conningsby! I actually saw them go out but failed to get the photographs (was weeing). How gutted am I. At least I saw them.

Amazing how they got from RAF Conningsby to the North Atlantic in just 15 minutes. The SuperCruise obviously works!

This isnt the first instance as Tornados do this on a regualr basis.

King.

Putin is playing a dangerous game here. If all he is doing is standing up now just to cement his name in history then he has another thing coming. If that isn't what he's doing, then what's the point of sending it our way?

Anyone live in North London and hear/see the four helicopters fly over Monday night? I heard the noise, after dark [about 9.45ish I think] and rushed to window as I thought it one helicopter attempting to land on the roof! But not so, 4, line astern, dark coloured, and looked...well, had protruding bits that could have been weapons :shrug:

Chases, more like.

Try to keep up even more like ... :cautious:

08.gif

Whats funny is that plan wasnt a jet, it was a four prop bomber. I doubt very much they had to chase it :)

I noticed that too, funny looking jet. Although it is a very capable aircraft and I should think, if they actually made an effort to penetrate the defences they would get some distance. However, those props dont half stick out on radar.

I wonder why they dont use their more advanced bombers/long range interceptors?

As they say, Mr. Putin is simply probing and trying to bring that "Fear the Russian might!" paranoid drive back.

Wonder if the bomber had an actual payload?

King.

Doesn't bare thinking about really, as the implications of it actually carrying something are far worse! After all, you don't carry bombs and other ordenance (SP?) just for the ride :/

Whats funny is that plan wasnt a jet, it was a four prop bomber. I doubt very much they had to chase it :)

A turbo prop engine is a jet engine with propellers!

The Russians wouldn't waist a nuke, as they don't have enough resources to replace them.
They'd also be committing suicide if they did.

A turbo prop engine is a jet engine with propellers!

The Russians wouldn't waist a nuke, as they don't have enough resources to replace them.
They'd also be committing suicide if they did.

Doesn't russia have something like 12,000 nukes left over from the cold war though? How much of a condition they are in I don't know.

Russia is not going to nuke anyone they're not stupid, besides there's no need when they control our gas supply.

Steep is right - if they want to apply pressure they don't send a bomber, they turn off the gas. Cheaper and more effective.

although thats if you believe anything we are told nowadays lol

I certainly wouldnt. There are powers at work from within the UK and Worldwide that we civilians cant even begin to contemplate.

Its a very complicated game, and it generally, well, probably is 100% fueled by politicians. You dont see them running into a battlefield with no kevlar and limited ammo do you.

It's a bit of genius propaganda.

Governments the world over know that the best way to keep their subjects "compliant" is to keep them scared. Hence all the bull***t about terrorism and man made global warming which are being used to strip us of our civil liberties and tax the living daylights out of us.

Bush and Putin know that the boom time for economies was back in the good old cold war, so when they met a few weeks back I bet they agreed it would be in their mutual interest to re-discover their differences.
Bush could pull his forces out of his new Vietnam, without admitting defeat by claiming that it was due to the clear threat posed by Russia. The American economy would recover and Russia can keep getting cash handouts. Putin consolidates his position as Russian leader because they "need someone with his strength".
The threat of war is so much better when both sides know that they aren't really going to fight.

Of course the public might need convincing. So they might need to toast some little island in the Atlantic, somewhere off the coast of Europe that nobody likes or would miss.:cautious:

Or perhaps I've read too many Len Deighton books? :LOL:

Most definately P.R. It happened also a few months back when 2 Tornados were scrambled, just as they were beibg taken from service:thinking:hmmmm.
Russia actually a bear over to our airspace is like us sending a Spitfire into theirs, The bear is a great long distance plane but its old hat, a ww2 plane, i know the B52 is also a ww2 plane and is still being used, but thats different. If Russia wanted to prove something, they would have sent some modern sh*t. It was a Blatent P.R stunt to show the British public that their hard earned money is being well spent, and to show the capabilities of the Typhoon. Does any have the old photo of the Torneys and the Bear to compare, to see if it was the same plane. Probably the one that was left at Fairford some years back:LOL:
Dean:)
I love conspiracy theories me.;)

Agreed spannerdude. Not sure I'd agree with the details (both Ahmhadinejad and Bush are benefiting from the posturing at the moment) but I totally agree with your second paragraph.

As Mencken so adroitly put it, "The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary".

The bear is a great long distance plane but its old hat, a ww2 plane,

I recall reading somewhere, that although the design is old, the planes currently in service were built late 80s/early 90s

Most definately P.R. It happened also a few months back when 2 Tornados were scrambled, just as they were beibg taken from service:thinking:hmmmm.
Russia actually a bear over to our airspace is like us sending a Spitfire into theirs, The bear is a great long distance plane but its old hat,...

The Bear, believe it or not, has been undergoing continued upgrades over the last 30 years. Although Russia appear to not have any money the economy is picking up rapidly. The current fleet of Bears are fully glass cockpit'ed and have some of the latest technology in them. I have also been put under the impression that the flight controls have been converted to a fly by wire system and the airframes of many of them are complete new builds.

It might look 'old' but you never judge a book by its cover. The turbo prop engine is an extremely useful tool and this particular one is probably one of the best in the world.

Obviously its downside is the fact that it isnt really very streamlined. The many patruding parts and huge propellers make it stick out like a sore thumb.

Despite being some 40-45 years old it is still a powerfull piece of machinery.

Anyway,...

We need get to together for a shoot some time Dean. Would be a good laugh!

King.

The bear is a great long distance plane but its old hat, a ww2 plane, i know the B52 is also a ww2 plane and is still being used, but thats different. If Russia wanted to prove something, they would have sent some modern sh*t.

The bear might be old, but it can still drop 20000Kgs of bad news on your head from 30000 feet and scoot away at almost 600 mph.:(

All true comments!
I just dont like it's name, "Bear", oh! everso slightly camp though.
Dan, a shoot would be cool, we'll sort something out.

Photo update from a reliable source.

typhoon192.jpg

Back