Unauthorised computer update

User.81858

Suspended / Banned
Name
Charles
Edit My Images
Yes
On Thursday this week Microsoft updated my computer to Windows10 from windows 8.1. I was a bit put out by this as I had not requested or authorised this update. I had heard that W10 was rubbish compared to previous systems. However I have now found my computer to be faster, and my concerns that it would mess up my printer have been found to be wrong, it prints and scans better now. I am still annoyed that it was done without my approval , but up to now it has been an improvement.

Why anybody would want to stay on W8 is beyond me, but I agree MS have a nerve forcing this update on people.

I guess they are trying to banish all the W8 to the pile with Vista and Me

I use W7 64 bit and I'm quite satisfied with it. I got the invitation to download the W10 'upgrade' and I disabled it to prevent any surreptitious installation, but I've still got a couple of months to change my mind. Right now, I doubt if I will.

I use W7 64 bit and I'm quite satisfied with it. I got the invitation to download the W10 'upgrade' and I disabled it to prevent any surreptitious installation, but I've still got a couple of months to change my mind. Right now, I doubt if I will.
My thoughts / OS and actions exactly. (y)

Same here. (y)

The pop up `invite` was extremely annoying & I just kept clicking X , then they started coming up with a day/time that it would auto update! :mad: Not sure how I got rid now, but haven't had the `reminder` for a couple of weeks. :cool:

We bought a laptop a few months ago from our local independent & he said he only had a few with Win 7 & they would be snapped up very quickly. Some folk were paying a slight premium at the time to avoid Win 10.

Last edited:
Not sure how I got rid now, but haven't had the `reminder` for a couple of weeks. :cool:
Someone posted a "How too" in the computer section months ago, I followed that and bingo (y)

Easily on par with W7
It aint broke so I aint fixin' it ;)

and a huge improvement over W8.
I have heard that from a few sources.
and yet, how "great" was W8 supposed to be when it was released?
What bothers me ( as I understand it) there are to be no more versions, just updated W10.
So eventually we PC users will be stuck with it, forever, unless someone else comes up with a better idea.

My other Laptop runs Win7 I have disables auto updates and switched of wifi and internet connection. It will now only be used for downloading from CF cards and using PS and Lightroom. Also for office work. All storage will be on external hard drives.

It aint broke so I aint fixin' it ;)

I have heard that from a few sources.
and yet, how "great" was W8 supposed to be when it was released?
What bothers me ( as I understand it) there are to be no more versions, just updated W10.
So eventually we PC users will be stuck with it, forever, unless someone else comes up with a better idea.

W7 support will be phased out/ended in the next few years, but MS may extend the W10 free 'upgrade' if the take up doesn't meet their expectations. There's speculation that it will move to a subscription model at some point, which would fit in with their Office 365 model, and include the updates. None of this appeals to me right now.

Alternatives? Mac is a possibility, but my daughter uses both systems and isn't particularly blown away by her MacBook. Linux? I've played with it, but I'm not sure it's for me either. Fortunately I can afford to wait for a while.

I prefer Win8 on touchscreen devices but 10 on a desktop.

On the 2 laptops/netbooks I use, I simply clicked on the Cancel Scheduled Update to Windows 10 button when it appeared a few days back. Not sure if Mrs Nod did the same on hers - her problem if not!!!

There's speculation that it will move to a subscription model at some point, which would fit in with their Office 365 model, and include the updates.
None of that surprises me TBH, following on from the fact that Outlook is a separate programme from MS office.
I'm sure there must be other mail clients out there ( I tried TB and didn't like it) but I've always used outlook express and I was rather p***ed off, when that ceased,
outlook was no longer part of office, and had to be bought separately.

None of this appeals to me right now.
Ditto!

Some folk were paying a slight premium at the time to avoid Win 10.

I really can't see why, mind there was similar paranoia when XP came in and WIndows 95 users thought they were somehow superior and XP had all kinds of mischievous snooping etc (sound familiar....)

After a couple of weeks using W10 from late last year, the differences from W7 seem rather inconsequential.
After cautiously forcing the update on my W8 Laptop I was more than happy to go with it on the W7 Desktop and neither have had any problems worth mentioning.

I'm also led to believe that once the upgrade to W10 is completed it is no longer possible to disable the auto update function as can currently be done with W7 & W8.1. I like to have control of what and when goes on my pooters!

. There's speculation that it will move to a subscription model at some point, .
This may be but if you didn't subscribe you'd probably only get especially important updates.
No way is it going to be stopped working.
By that time W7 users will be on their own.

Put it this way, all you who say "i`m never installing Win10 because-----" are the same people who will never upgrade there Camera until the day they die because you love your old/outdated Camera and will never want
the latest Model ever!

And still watching B/W Telly and driving Austin 7s.

I prefer Win8 on touchscreen devices but 10 on a desktop.

On the 2 laptops/netbooks I use, I simply clicked on the Cancel Scheduled Update to Windows 10 button when it appeared a few days back. Not sure if Mrs Nod did the same on hers - her problem if not!!!
Tablet mode on 10 <taps nose>

Snooker is a bit of a pain, as are the cable brakes, but apart from that (y)
:D

I really can't see why, mind there was similar paranoia when XP came in
And yet I took readily to XP from '98, and W7 from XP although I was sorry to see it go, W7 was close enough to not really notice the jump.
There are still too many anomalies on 10 for me to even consider it, and mostly bourn out by the various threads right here on TP.

Its never been about what is good best or better.

scammers thieves and generall nasty people love people who don't upgrade.
All those juicy unpatched loopholes.

W7 is now into the support of only critical upadates.

So if you want to stick with W7 fine but you are even more in microsofts grasp of maybe they will patch the holes going forward or maybe they will not..................

your choice.

Put it this way, all you who say "i`m never installing Win10 because-----" are the same people who will never upgrade there Camera until the day they die because you love your old/outdated Camera and will never want
the latest Model ever!

Wish I could aford a B/W Telly and an Austin 7. :)

This is beginning to sound like the EU debate,
"If you don't, the sky will fall in, your arse will heal over and your brain will explode"

After a couple of weeks using W10 from late last year, the differences from W7 seem rather inconsequential.

As Cobra says, there were too many glitches early on & I don't need anything updating thank you, W7 works flawlessly for what I want.

As to why folk were paying a slight premium for the last batch of laptops etc .......^^^^^ as above.

We wanted another W7 laptop for the other lad @ Christmas but had to get a W10.
It was only 2 weeks ago the bloody thing froze up/wouldn't do what it was told! :mad: Apparently a known glitch that we managed to sort, but after all this time W10 still seems not to be 100% sorted

It was only 2 weeks ago the bloody thing froze up/wouldn't do what it was told!
:rolleyes: !

but after all this time W10 still seems not to be 100% sorted
I don't remember there being any real starter issues with XP or W7?

I know 95 was a nightmare at times and 98 was a little better... But I never looked back from XP pro, or W7

Think Vista was the first I'd used, then XP, then on to W7 which I got about 4 yrs ago.

I'm a techie dinosaur tbh & don't want to HAVE to change/upgrade if what I have now works for me. :cool:

I'm a techie dinosaur tbh & don't want to HAVE to change/upgrade if what I have now works for me. :cool:
Agreed
As I said above, it aint broke no need to fix it (y)

Think Vista was the first I'd used,
I only used vista briefly on one of the kids laptops, I don't really remember it TBH.

the latest Model ever!

So are you OK with M$ installing something on your computer without you specifically asking/giving them permission to at any time? :thinking: I know I am not. :mad:

For me, that is the main point of this thread, rather than which OS is better than the other.

For the record I updated my Desktop to Win 10 and a HD suddenly died at the same time. Luckily it gave me time to back up before it died, but if I hadn't of had a HD for backup I could have lost a lot of data. It could have been a coincidence, but it was one hell of a coincidence, so I went back to Win 7.

I updated a Laptop to Win 10 and the Network connections stopped working even though it said it was connected. I couldn't find a driver to fix it, obviously via another computer because I could no longer access the internet. :mad: :rolleyes: I even tried again a few weeks later when I thought I had the answer to the problem, but the same thing happened again. :mad: So back to Win 7.

I don't want anyone installing anything I don't specifically authorise, if the Laptop was my only computer I wouldn't want M$ updating something so big as an OS update because it it were to go wrong,as was the case with my Laptop, I would be stuffed. Do you reckon there is some small print somewhere absolving M$ for any responsibility to fix anything that were to go wrong during this update? And even if there wasn't ,could you afford to take them to court (should it come to that) to fix what they had broken, because I know I couldn't. :( :rolleyes:

You thinking the update to Windows 10 is unauthorised makes me think you have not read the Microsoft EULA.
I wonder how many of us truly read these things before we tick the box?

Same here. (y)

The pop up `invite` was extremely annoying & I just kept clicking X , then they started coming up with a day/time that it would auto update! :mad: Not sure how I got rid now, but haven't had the `reminder` for a couple of weeks. :cool:

We bought a laptop a few months ago from our local independent & he said he only had a few with Win 7 & they would be snapped up very quickly. Some folk were paying a slight premium at the time to avoid Win 10.

Steve Gibson on his site has a program "Never 10" to prevent these surreptitious updates:

https://www.grc.com/never10.htm

It is an incredibly small (83KB) program since he always programs in Assembler code!

And quite a lot of people must still want to keep out Win 10 since it has been downloaded 447,000 times already.

You thinking the update to Windows 10 is unauthorised makes me think you have not read the Microsoft EULA.

I never asked for it I never said yes to it at the time I could not stop it.. So please help this poor old pensioner and show me where it says they can. As I have said it has been an improvement up to now (early days) but I would have still have liked the choice.

One of the problems with Win 10 is that since it is now a "utility" rather than a program you are going to be constantly fed updates but even more problematic is that Microsoft will be constantly reviewing the use you make of it and adding things you may not want and pruning other things you may want.

For example it has now removed or is in the process of removing the ability to link automatically to a friend's Wi-Fi.

Apparently this wasn't being used much so - out it goes:

"The cost of updating the code to keep this feature working combined with low usage and low demand made this not worth further investment. Wi-Fi Sense, if enabled, will continue to get you connected to open Wi-Fi hotspots that it knows about through crowdsourcing."

But what other things which you may be using quite happily will Microsoft remove because "The cost of updating the code to keep this feature working (will make) this not worth further investment?"

I don't remember there being any real starter issues with XP or W7?

I know 95 was a nightmare at times and 98 was a little better... But I never looked back from XP pro, or W7

Remeber you only hear people banging on about issues they had. Many more tens of thousands have no issues and don't flock to the internet.

Were there teething issus with xp and 7? Absolutely. Were those molehills made into mountains by the previous versions faithful? You bet.

Some people are sticklers for changing anything, ignoring progress in performance, security and functionality.

One of the problems with Win 10 is that since it is now a "utility" rather than a program you are going to be constantly fed updates but even more problematic is that Microsoft will be constantly reviewing the use you make of it and adding things you may not want and pruning other things you may want.

For example it has now removed or is in the process of removing the ability to link automatically to a friend's Wi-Fi.

Apparently this wasn't being used much so - out it goes:

"The cost of updating the code to keep this feature working combined with low usage and low demand made this not worth further investment. Wi-Fi Sense, if enabled, will continue to get you connected to open Wi-Fi hotspots that it knows about through crowdsourcing."

But what other things which you may be using quite happily will Microsoft remove because "The cost of updating the code to keep this feature working (will make) this not worth further investment?"
Wut?

Steve Gibson on his site has a program "Never 10" to prevent these surreptitious updates:

https://www.grc.com/never10.htm

It is an incredibly small (83KB) program since he always programs in Assembler code!

And quite a lot of people must still want to keep out Win 10 since it has been downloaded 447,000 times already.

Might be worth having a look at post #14 above!!! :whistle:

Back