Unauthorised computer update

lets face it they were dammed either way..

on the flip side if they'd offered this as a free update and made it much harder to get it, they'd be accused of trying to swindle the consumer out of getting a £100~ update for free.

But to me the MOST important question is: WHY IS IT FREE?

Because WE are now the product!

Don't get me started on the paranoia that the world and his neighbour is out to get your computer unless you update the OS every couple of weeks!

I ran XP and Vista for years without updating without any problems.

Oh yes and while I mentioned XP, where are all the news stories of folk attacking WinXP, since MS stopped support in 2014?

There were all sorts of scare stories then but sweet FA happened!

paranoia? oh please, its called taking a reasonable precautions to protecting your system.

same way you always lock your doors and windows when you go out in case someone tries to get in and steal your things. same way you put your seatbelt on in case you have an accident.

i wonder how many banks will deny you fraud cover if you're using an unsecured/out of date OS?

Sure MS is run by the devil now so I recommend not using any of its products or the machines they make it to run on.

Ah! the 'comedy' extremists putting forward ludicrous scenarios to deflect from M$s heavy handed, and imho, sometimes sneaky ways to get people to upgrade to Win10. :rolleyes:

Security updates are one thing, but M$ shouldn't download 3Gb of Win10 to peoples computers on the off chance that you will upgrade. There should have been the option of not downloading the specific Win10 update, and before someone says you can, it is selected again in the next round of security updates. Most people don't go through the M$ updates checking what each one does, they trust M$ to download and install updates to fix security problems, and again imho, M$ took advantage of that to download Win10 to almost everyone's computers whether they wanted Win10 or not. :( :rolleyes:

If you say that you don't want Win10 you shouldn't be repeatedly asked to upgrade once you have said you don't want it. You shouldn't have to go to any lengths to stop being bombarded by M$ other than saying 'No thanks'. And if you do say 'No Thanks', and they have downloaded the Win10 'update', it should be removed from your system if it is there.

If Win10 is so great, and for most people available for free, they shouldn't need to try and 'force' or fool people into upgrading should they. :thinking:

For some M$ can do no wrong and anyone who thinks otherwise is paranoid and delusional. These people are a smaller minority compared the Apple acolytes, and not as extreme and loyal, but they have to understand that some people don't see everything M$ do as right for us all and beyond reproach and would like the option to say no once and for all. ;)

Sure MS is run by the devil now so I recommend not using any of its products or the machines they make it to run on.

Ah, now you're learning!

Now, are you going to answer my question?

paranoia? oh please, its called taking a reasonable precautions to protecting your system.

same way you always lock your doors and windows when you go out in case someone tries to get in and steal your things. same way you put your seatbelt on in case you have an accident.

i wonder how many banks will deny you fraud cover if you're using an unsecured/out of date OS?

No, it's definitely paranoia!

Wonder all you want, you can still use online banking, even if you are not using their useless Rapport.

As for out of date OS, 80% of all androids are in that boat!

https://www.gdatasoftware.co.uk/sec...oid-users-use-an-out-of-date-operating-system

Don't like Microsoft?
Then use Linux or OSX.

You know what MS do so stop bleating.

If you are referring to me, I like MS stuff.

I do however hate some of their sneaky practices, so expect me to keep "bleating".

So, as I say, if you were referring to me, I sincerely hope my "bleating" continues to annoy you!

Well there seem to be a LOT of people who don't want Win10 - Never10 on www.grc.com is now downloading 27,000 times a day and in the few weeks that it has been up over half a million people have downloaded it!

Wonder how long until MS tries to ban it or do something else to force Win10 onto an unwilling public?

And one other thing which seems to have been overlooked is that it now presents a massive attack target to all those hackers out there.

I was referring to anyone here that moans but does nothing about it.

It wasn't directed at you per se Mike.

And you flatter yourself if you think you annoyed me.

It's only the internet. Not real life

Don't like Microsoft?
Then use Linux or OSX.

You know what MS do so stop bleating.

The problem is that Windows has become so successful it can no longer be regarded as just another OS since it is THE OS in use today and as such has become, in effect, a public utility.

Without it all kinds of public services including the Government, the NHS, Banks, ATM machines etc would no longer function.

As such its behaviour should be exemplary not acting as it is and certainly not forcing an upgrade upon unwilling victims - because that is quite definitely an abuse of its massive power!

No one is forced. Some are too poor at reading to see that they have been given the ability to control it themselves.

I was referring to anyone here that moans but does nothing about it.

It's only the internet. Not real life

Actually it is real life example most utility companies are moving to the internet for billing and setting up accounts. Schools using the net for tuition etc. Quite a lot of people struggle to find their way. So may I respectfully suggest that you use your apparent superior intellect to assist rather than put down.

It was a tongue in cheek remark mate.
I tried to assist earlier by suggesting using Linux. But it appears people like MS but still moan.
Hey Ho.

But it appears people like MS but still moan.
Of course, that's what people do best, I'll still moan and bitch at M$ but I'll continue to use it until somethiyng better comes along,
If BG is reading this, consider it FREE market research thumbs:
after all, we know you are a bit short this month Net worth: 79.4 billion USD (2015)Forbes :

I think the main thing that kept me with windows was being able to use lightroom but moved over to linux (debian 8) a few weeks ago and have found that darktable actually works quite well for photography. I used ubuntu linux a few years ago before moving to windows 7, then 8, then the "free" w10 upgrade but was not so keen on the way ubuntu seemed quite "commercial" with an "app store" like windows.

A few days ago I had to re-install my OH's computer (as she was having problems with it) which had the w10 upgrade but it appears that it's locked to a specific machine so you need to buy a new copy of w10 if you buy a new pc or revert back to w8. This means it is not really a free upgrade, more of a w10 trial until your next hardware upgrade, and MS know people will not want to go back to w8 or w7 when they upgrade hardware so will get inertia sales by this means.

I think it's perfectly ok to moan about Microsoft. They deserve it.
It's even better to move on to a better OS if Windows gives you problems.
Probably most people who were auto upgraded to W10 will be pleasantly surprised.
But still it's a sneaky thing to do. And not everyone wants to be tricked into it. But Microsoft probably decided it was the lesser of 2 evils. They knew they'd get negative feedback. Moan away!

But an important factor is that many people don't want to upgrade because they don't trust Microsoft to do a good job. Whereas, I happily take each Ubuntu upgrade as it comes. And Android too. Because so far it's always gone well for me. And a delight to get new goodies.

Last edited:
No one is forced. Some are too poor at reading to see that they have been given the ability to control it themselves.

Ah!, blame those that were tricked rather than the trickster. :rolleyes: :( That is the excuse of the conmen. :mad:

"Microsoft has been accused of dirty tricks after apparently fooling users into upgrading to Windows 10 by changing a setting on a pop up so people who click on a red cross in the corner — which usually closes a window - are instead deemed to have accepted an upgrade."

I blame those that do not read everything in a window before making a decision to close it without making any changes to the state of the computer and then complain that no changes were made to the state of the computer to stop something unwanted from happening.
I blame inattentiveness. I blame a lack of understanding of what you are doing. I put the blame for a persons inability to control their own system on the person that doesn't pay attention, where it belongs.
If I just start picking up things in a store without reading labels and then get home with things I don't want, is that the manufacturers fault?

Agreed GT.

No excuse nowadays, everyone can google what they need to if they can't be bothered to read disclaimers et al.

Yes manufacturers will get into trouble if labelling unclear and confusing. Likewise Microsoft gets bad press for deliberately changing the operation to trick people. We expect software to work for the user and not the other way round. Nobody respects companies who hide things in the small print.

Last edited:
w10.jpg

There is nothing deceitful here at all, it's all clearly labeled in your native language. You also have the option to go back to the old OS within 30 days.
You also have the option to not automatically install recommended updates and check for ones you need or want first.
By the time you are 'forced' to upgrade, you passed up a lot of opportunities to not upgrade intentionally.
In fact, you are not forced to do anything you don't authorize either through your actions or your failure to take action.

There is nothing deceitful here at all, it's all clearly labeled in your native language. You also have the option to go back to the old OS within 30 days.
You also have the option to not automatically install recommended updates and check for ones you need or want first.
By the time you are 'forced' to upgrade, you passed up a lot of opportunities to not upgrade intentionally.
In fact, you are not forced to do anything you don't authorize either through your actions or your failure to take action.

Yes, we all should read everything, and I'm sure that those that are saying that read every word of every user agreement they encounter, but there is an expectation that things work in a certain way, by changing a setting on a pop up so people who click on a red cross in the corner — which usually closes a window and terminates any program/installation, so to change that so it doesn't work the same way as any other piece of software deceitful imho, obviously not in yours.

Clicking an x only closes a window without making any changes to the settings of the computer, it never changed, ever....ever.

GT von and GreenNija67 If everyone was in the super bracket that you two appear to be you would not be able to sit in your little space above the rest of us. I am glad I am not a little puppy living in your house as a small mistake would no doubt have me with a nose full of poo and thrown into the garden. I find the way you present your posts a bit off putting. Also GreenNija67 please do not refer to me as mate because that I am not.:wave:

Well, my little puppy recently had kidney failure, a seizure similar to a stroke in a human and had to be put to sleep, he was my best friend for years, thanks for being an ass.
Too bad you have no idea what you are talking about but just keep talking. When you don't know what you are doing with a computer, just do some research and use the internet, if all else fails, ask a more knowledgeable friend or family member.

Last edited:
HEE HAW HEE HAW HEE HAW! A computer Numpty I may be but with what I do know I would try to help others rather than ridicule. I can't be a complete Numpty as I have found the ignore button. BYE BYE.:mooning:

Clicking an x only closes a window without making any changes to the settings of the computer, it never changed, ever....ever.
And that is the point, because of the way M$ worded their pop up box, which of course everyone should have read properly because they wouldn't have expected to do what they did, :rolleyes: it worked in an unexpected way. Most people see the difference, and the Editor of PC World magazine saw the difference in the link I posted above, but a few have not. They will never see the point sadly. :rolleyes:

Yes it has - changing the x so that it actually does the opposite of what you expect is the province of con men and has been used in the past quite extensively in malware etc to cause the installation of something you didn't want - so why is microsoft using the same trick?

nope not true, clicking X closes the box that's all.
The box in question is a NOTIFICATION box not a DECISION box so closing the box just states you have accepted and read the notification.

And that is the point, because of the way M$ worded their pop up box, which of course everyone should have read properly because they wouldn't have expected to do what they did, :rolleyes: it worked in an unexpected way. Most people see the difference, and the Editor of PC World magazine saw the difference in the link I posted above, but a few have not. They will never see the point sadly. :rolleyes:

that's the truth, people did not read the box .

Please explain what PEBKAC means.

problem exists between chair and keyboard

however this is more a case of PEBMSTT KB ... problem exists becuse microsoft think they know best

I'd also note that i am able to read and have succesfully stopped my home machine automatically upgrading to W10 , however it is annoying that it keeps asking again and again at every update rather than just acepting that "no, i'm happywith W7 now wind your neck in"

its even more annoying on the work machines where we can't upgrade to w10 because the bespoke software that does our budgets etc won't run on anything newer than 7 - and in fact we can't accept an upgrade anyway because we don't have the permissions - but that doesnt stop a daily or at least regular pop up of "update to W10 now"

Yes it has - changing the x so that it actually does the opposite of what you expect is the province of con men and has been used in the past quite extensively in malware etc to cause the installation of something you didn't want - so why is microsoft using the same trick?
so rather than clicking the "click here to change or cancel the upgrade" people expected the X to do the same thing?

thats just stupid. if people randomly close these things without reading they deserve all they get and lose the right to bitch about it.

:LOL::LOL:
so rather than clicking the "click here to change or cancel the upgrade" people expected the X to do the same thing?

thats just stupid. if people randomly close these things without reading they deserve all they get and lose the right to bitch about it.

But if they don't have the right to bitch about it why are so many people bitching about it?:LOL:

Back