Unauthorised computer update

Ah! SWMBO came and told her dell laptop was going into W10 update without any clicks on her part accepting it. She was not best pleased as had gotten used to 8.1

Having said in the configuration setup phase we turned off all functions that mentioned anything about sharing with MS

For myself on my W7 64bit Pro I have been doing manual updates and hiding the repeated "offers" of those that are W10 related.

I have yet to read of W7 going into limited updates phase or date for EoL so would rather stick with it for now. On my next build maybe in 2017/18 with a fresh install then W10 :)

Ah! SWMBO came and told her dell laptop was going into W10 update without any clicks on her part accepting it. She was not best pleased as had gotten used to 8.1

Having said in the configuration setup phase we turned off all functions that mentioned anything about sharing with MS

For myself on my W7 64bit Pro I have been doing manual updates and hiding the repeated "offers" of those that are W10 related.

I have yet to read of W7 going into limited updates phase or date for EoL so would rather stick with it for now. On my next build maybe in 2017/18 with a fresh install then W10 :)

thats not really an excuse with the internet though is it ... Emu..

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/lifecycle/search/default.aspx?alpha=windows 7

So are you OK with M$ installing something on your computer without you specifically asking/giving them permission to at any time? :thinking: I know I am not. :mad:

Strictly speaking, it's been offering a free upload for sometime, then suggests a time when it will automatically update - i.e. lots of notification. If you chose to ignore something that says it will happen at this time... ?

However I agree there should have been an option to ignore this, until they pop up with a reminder the offer to upgrade free is about to run out

So are you OK with M$ installing something on your computer without you specifically asking/giving them permission to at any time? :thinking: I know I am not. :mad:

Went to MS site on 1st day of release, downloaded and install, could`nt wait. Love it, works a treat.

OK, Win7 was really good and so was WinXP, loved Win8 but Win8.1 was a bit of a Disaster.

MS have released a few dogs in the past, and W8 wasn't well received, so it's no wonder that many people who are quite satisfied with W7 are reluctant to 'upgrade'. There's much to be said for sticking to something that works well for you, and the way MS have tried to foist W10 onto its customers hasn't helped its case. It may well be an excellent OS, and I don't have any problem with offering it as a free download, but the decision to install it should have been left to the user.

MS have released a few dogs in the past, and W8 wasn't well received, so it's no wonder that many people who are quite satisfied with W7 are reluctant to 'upgrade'. There's much to be said for sticking to something that works well for you, and the way MS have tried to foist W10 onto its customers hasn't helped its case. It may well be an excellent OS, and I don't have any problem with offering it as a free download, but the decision to install it should have been left to the user.

Together with the facility to return to an earlier OS if W10 does not suit.

Went to MS site on 1st day of release, downloaded and install, could`nt wait. Love it, works a treat.

OK, Win7 was really good and so was WinXP, loved Win8 but Win8.1 was a bit of a Disaster.
That's great, and I'm glad you are liking it, but again, the point is M$ installing Win10 when they weren't asked to. :mad: :rolleyes: They already downloaded Win10 to everyone's computer in the form of a normal update which takes up about 3Gb of space that most people didn't notice. That could be important space to some people.

For the brief time I used Win10, it seemed a touch faster (than Win7) and even better when I had disabled M$s monitoring options and made it look more like the Windows layout I was used to. Pity it messed up my two computers. :( :rolleyes:

Were there teething issus with xp and 7? Absolutely. Were those molehills made into mountains by the previous versions faithful? You bet.
I was lucky then I had no issues with either of those.
Some people are sticklers for changing anything, ignoring progress in performance, security and functionality.
I guess I'll have W10 forced on me eventually, one way or another, but until then, and hopefully the issues would have been sorted, W7 aint broke so I aint fixing it
Together with the facility to return to an earlier OS if W10 does not suit.
I know there was the option to revert in the early days, I think it was a month?
Has that been removed now?

I guess I'll have W10 forced on me eventually, one way or another, but until then, and hopefully the issues would have been sorted, W7 aint broke so I aint fixing it

Exactly. W10 may prove to be excellent, but I'm not convinced at this point. Time will tell, and I've no doubt people will upgrade to it eventually, but a lot will wait until they're satisfied that it has proved itself. That's fine, my computers run well on W7, and I'm certainly not in any hurry. We'll have to wait and see if MS extend the free upgrade, or if it will only be available on a pay/subscription basis, but that doesn't bother me right now.

I suspect MS are confident that their market domination will win the day, and they may well be right, but I don't see this as a rant against a giant corporation. MS have brought computing into the everyday world but they're not above criticism and, as a consumer, I dislike being dictated to.

I suspect MS are confident that their market domination will win the day, and they may well be right,
I also suspect that is the way their thought process is going, although a thought just occurred to me, Google seems to have its finger in everything these days, including driver-less cars,
I wonder if they would have the knowledge / funds / inclination to develop an operating system?

but I don't see this as a rant against a giant corporation. MS have brought computing into the everyday world but they're not above criticism and, as a consumer, I dislike being dictated to.
I completely agree on all the above points, they certainly got it right with their home PC's and various pieces of software, bringing the computer age to the masses,
but that doesn't give them the right to dictate, but when you have a massive share of the market, its all to easy, :(

I guess I'll have W10 forced on me eventually, one way or another

Not on me it won't - I'm still using XP and Win 7 and will only change when they pry my mouse from my cold dead fingers! :LOL:

I also suspect that is the way their thought process is going, although a thought just occurred to me, Google seems to have its finger in everything these days, including driver-less cars,
I wonder if they would have the knowledge / funds / inclination to develop an operating system?

Like Android? ;)

Not on me it won't - I'm still using XP and Win 7 and will only change when they pry my mouse from my cold dead fingers! :LOL:
I never said the "I guess I'll have W10 forced on me eventually, one way or another" you quoted me as saying. That being said, you may at some point upgrade the processor in your PC, and some of the newest processors don't support any OS other than Win10. If that gains more popularity then at some point down the line some may have no choice.

When I upgraded my PC last year with new a motherboard and processor I was able to reinstall Win7, depending on what is available next time I upgrade it may not be possible to use anything other than Win10. I have little doubt if M$ get more control over the design of the processors they will attempt to lock the format down with restrictions.

I never said the "I guess I'll have W10 forced on me eventually, one way or another" you quoted me as saying. That being said, you may at some point upgrade the processor in your PC, and some of the newest processors don't support any OS other than Win10. If that gains more popularity then at some point down the line some may have no choice.

When I upgraded my PC last year with new a motherboard and processor I was able to reinstall Win7, depending on what is available next time I upgrade it may not be possible to use anything other than Win10. I have little doubt if M$ get more control over the design of the processors they will attempt to lock the format down with restrictions.

Which is quite possible but could open up a whole can of worms with the EU and anti-trust regulations.

I'm on Windows 8.1, love it no wish to change, but have been able to install updates for ages because every time I try it starts downloading windows 10 :banghead:
had to turn off auto updates to stop it before and now have to disconnect from the interent to stop it downloading :banghead:
So I've now clicked on that link earlier in the thread and hopefully stopped the window 10 downloads but itn says I have 55 updates waiting, is it safe to download them ?

Last edited:
Ingrid, the one you MUST NOT DOWNLOAD is KB 3035583.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3035583

This is the one that relates to the updating to W10. On my system (W7 SP1) it's located in the Optional Updates section of Windows Updates.

If you click on the More Information link in the right hand panel when a particular update is highlighted you will go to an MS page telling you exactly what it does.

If you already have KB3035583 installed on your system do a search on the web for instructions to remove it.

There's speculation that it will move to a subscription model at some point

It won't. Microsoft spelt this out in July of last year. Astonished this scaremongering, I mean "speculation", is still going on.:eek:

Windows 10 is FAR better then 8 or 8.1. It's what 8 should have been from the start.

I run windows 7 but have never been pestered about updates (even though I have auto download for important updates) wonder if it is because my pc spec is under win10 min requirements. Must say I can see no reason to "upgrade" to win10 in the new pc I am building. Would still be with XP if it was getting security updates :(

I can't see MS doing that, why would they bother when they dominate the market anyway? And with Intel making chips for both apple and non-apple machines, I doubt they'd agree to it anyway.

W10 is good though, really quick even on my older laptop.

I quite like Windows 10.
They have bought the start menu back and improved it in my opinion.

I have Windows 8 on my work PC, Windows 10 on my Desktop and OSX on my laptop :)

Snooker is a bit of a pain, as are the cable brakes, but apart from that (y)
:D

Snooker commentator Ted Lowe uttered the occasional on-air gaffe, one of his most famous quotes being, "and for those of you who are watching in black and white, the pink is next to the green." - He once told viewers that Fred Davis, struggling to rest one leg on the edge of the table in order to reach a long shot, "is getting on a bit and is having trouble getting his leg over" :LOL::LOL:

err, isnt that more a case of none of the older MS operating systems are coded utilise the hardware correctly.

old kernals and new CPUs may simply not be compatible.

not the big conspiracy some think it is. hardware progresses and leaves obsolete software behind.

I did install Windows 10 on my very old PC station, but for some reason it ran badly and had a problem with the graphics. Still plodding along with windows 7, and when my PC stations grinds to a halt, I will look at what is available to buy then. Until then, sticking with Windows 7 :)

err, isnt that more a case of none of the older MS operating systems are coded utilise the hardware correctly.

old kernals and new CPUs may simply not be compatible.

not the big conspiracy some think it is. hardware progresses and leaves obsolete software behind.

Well that certainly happens - I have an old copy of ME but it's impossible to use it as the PC simply crashes after about 3/4 install.

But if MS is actually trying to get manufacturers to make it impossible to use older versions of Windows then I can see the lawyers and the EU really going to town on them!

Well that certainly happens - I have an old copy of ME but it's impossible to use it as the PC simply crashes after about 3/4 install.

But if MS is actually trying to get manufacturers to make it impossible to use older versions of Windows then I can see the lawyers and the EU really going to town on them!
It boils down to driver support. When an OS is dead (i.e. 10 years old and end of support like XP) then MS isn't going to provide any updates to it - it is an ex-operating system. It is no more.
Hardware changes all the time. New chipsets emerge that are more powerful, use less power, are smaller form factor etc. In order for an OS to use hardware it requires a driver. Now, in some cases you might be able to persuade a (for example) motherboard vendor to produce the drivers required to support older operating systems, they are never going to do it for dead ones. Microsoft can and do create drivers for hardware but again, for an OS that has shuffled off this mortal coil, they are not going to. Hence it won't work.
There's no anti-trust in this scenario...

The weird thing is all the tin foil hat brigade seem to have missed completely the fact...

Microsoft have given you a free upgrade, no charge and you is complaining......?
In a while it will not be free and then you will complain some more :)

Microsoft have given you a free upgrade, no charge and you is complaining......?
Yes its on offer "for free" and I don't want it, pure and simple.

When I need to up grade this PC ( in a few years maybe) I guess it will be the only windows operating system available, and will be installed on my "next one"
Failing that of course, I may even go to Linux or what ever ...

Well here we go. My first problem. I use outlook for my email and have folders which I store all emails in. I went into a folder to print an email off. The folder is now empty along with the rest of the folders.

Back