** UPDATED ** HELP from MacBook 'sperts please ... ??? MacGod Cowasaki sorts me out !

Edit My Images
No
Hi guys ... :wave:

I have been using my spanking Air for a couple of weeks now ... :D

It is absolutely superb ... :love: ... and oh so damn pretty ... ;)

I needed to have no fears with the swap from the other side because the operating system is just so, so easy peasey it beggars belief ... extremely intuitive and functionally so sweet ... :eek:

Anyway ... the real reason for the post is a problematical solution to the one irritant I have ... :cautious: ...

I need to access a Windows Shareware programme my clients are using for file handling and manipulation ... a bit like a Virtual Directory hosted by this so-called Shareware programme ... :thumbsdown:

:help: ... The shareware can only be accessed by IE 6 or later ...

And I cannot load IE onto the Mac system ... !

I do not want to infect my new toy by loading it with the Windows operating system ...

Please ... is there any other way of accessing this Shareware V Room using my MacBook without the obvious solutions ... using my old lappy or installing Windows ... :shrug:

Any of you guys used or aware of any workable alternatives for this situation ...

I would be extremely grateful for any input ... even if it is just to confirm what I fear ... that I will have to lump it ...

Thanx guys 'n gals ...

Rog...:p

V

I have had my mac for 3 months now and all I can say is.......:shrug::shrug::shrug::shrug::shrug::shrug::shrug:

Glad you are enjoying the mac..

Have you loaded aperture yet.. have play with it I find it great.

Nigel.

If the shareware can only be accessed by IE6 you're stumped because ie6 ain't supported on macs any more. only solution i can think of is loading windows but you don't want to. i believe you are ****ed....sorry

If the shareware can only be accessed by IE6 you're stumped because ie6 ain't supported on macs any more. only solution i can think of is loading windows but you don't want to. i believe you are ****ed....sorry

I believe you may be right ... :cautious: ... but I had to ask jic ... :D

V

I have had my mac for 3 months now and all I can say is.......:shrug::shrug:

Glad you are enjoying the mac..

Have you loaded aperture yet.. have play with it I find it great.

Nigel.

Thanx Nigel ... if it's the only thing I have problems with then I feel it's a small price to pay ... ;)

Not had chance for anything other than work so far I'm afraid ... :shrug: ... but everything else in Mac is great so I look forward to it ... (y)

:p

Try virtualbox. I don't know how well it runs on macs, but it might be worth a shot.

Thanx for the reply Slapo ... (y) ... I might just investigate this one further ... :cautious: ... had a quickie look Wiki after Googling ... :D

You could try parallels - not sure if there is a trial version. Runs XP astonishingly well inside OS/X. Really, really impressive :)

I think your easiest answer is to use your old lap top. I'd agree that you don't want to clutter up your new machine with other software.

You could try parallels - not sure if there is a trial version. Runs XP astonishingly well inside OS/X. Really, really impressive

Thanx Moadib ... (y) ... not heard of that one either ... but hardly surprising as I've only had a Mac for a couple of weeks ... :D

Will definitely have a look at it though ... ;)

I think your easiest answer is to use your old lap top. I'd agree that you don't want to clutter up your new machine with other software.

Sometimes I am all in support of the easy option Chappers ... :D ... however I did also buy this machine to be functional as in it is so light and portable (as well as beautiful to look at ... ;)) to carry on my work trips ... :cautious: ... sort of defeats the object if I have to revert to the Dell ... :shrug:

And it is while I am away I need the accessibility to this damn V Room ... while I am at base I have both the Dell Lappy and Desktop still running it ... :D

Thanx for the responses though guys ... ;)

I had a quick look and there is a trial version, so should be worth giving a try. It's worth it just for the "Oh my god, how is that possible?!". :)

vmware fusion or parallels will allow you to add a small virtual windows operating system to the macbook, i have 2 running on my laptop i even converted my work laptop using vmware converter (free) so i could run it and vpn in etc without having to carry 2 laptops :) works brilliantly :)

http://www.vmware.com/products/fusion/

http://www.vmware.com/products/converter/

Parallels is avaible from the Apple shop i think as is Fusion.

Id recommend Vmware also
Have been using VM Fushion on my MacBook Pro for a few months now and it's brilliant.
I have tried Parallels as well but VM is in my opinion far better.

Just a quick high jack of this thread

Venomator, what's the battery life like on the Air, "In the real world"

Just a quick high jack of this thread

Venomator, what's the battery life like on the Air, "In the real world"

Sorry Chappers ... for some reason I totally missed your question :shrug:

For me it is brilliant especially if you turn the brightness on the screen down as soon as you go battery ... :thinking: ... as for how long well it does vary noticeably with precisely what you are doing but I can sit and work as well as surf on low brightness for around 5 hours but if a lot of downloading or complex activity is going on it can knock it back to around 4 hours in practice ... :D

HTH and apologies for missing it ... ;)

Clearly one of the options for operating Windows is to partition the Hard Drive to accommodate it ... :cautious:

However I really do not want to go this route BUT ... :thinking: ...

And this may sound a really daft question ... :bonk: ...

... could I use a USB External Portable Drive as my Windows 'partition' ... :shrug:

Sorry to drag this one on but I really am still looking at options ... :D

Thanx in advance ...

Rog...:p

Just to repeat an earlier - VM Ware is excellent, easily the best Windows on Mac option there is. Try the demo out and see what you think.

Hey Joe ... I was just about to give it a whirl so thanx for the gee up ... (y)

Thanks for the info.

I'm currently looking to upgrade my system big time ( too many large files) and was looking at incorporating a Macbook Pro for "away days". The longer battery life makes the Air tempting.

More investigation at the Apple shop (again) i think

Are you sure that the client's shareware thingy can ONLY be accessed via IE6? Have you tried Firefox or others?

I've installed XP under parallels for a couple apps that can't be accommodated under OS-X and it works well. But I wouldn't advise attempting to run it on an external drive.

Or you could tell your client not to be so tight and get some proper software ;)

Thanks for the info.

I'm currently looking to upgrade my system big time ( too many large files) and was looking at incorporating a Macbook Pro for "away days". The longer battery life makes the Air tempting.

More investigation at the Apple shop (again) i think

No worries ... (y)

Partly the reason I chose the Air was because if it worked out (and it has resoundingly !) I am going to upgrade my Dell stuff to iMac very soon ... :D

In fact I was just looking at the new, faster iMac 24" and have my Check Out button hovering ... :eek:

What am I waiting for ... :cautious:

Mine may be a Mac Pro . Have talked to those Very Very Nice people at Adobe who are happy to switch my Photoshop license from PC to Mac. Just need to make the commitment.

Lightroom 2.0 will run in 64 bit on intel Mac's. Now the question is Quad processor or 8 core !!!!!!

Lightroom 2.0 will run in 64 bit on intel Mac's. Now the question is Quad processor or 8 core !!!!!!

Thats confused me... are you saying the OSX version of Lightroom 2 is 64bit, or are you on about running the Windows 64bit client under a Bootcamped Windows XP64/Vista OS.

As for 4 or 8 cores... ive got both and 99% of the time i cannot tell the differance between them... both are lightening fast, only when im batch processing my images in Aperture or Photoshop do i really see the 8core stretch its legs.

The ANSWER to my prayers lies on Page 4 of THIS THREAD ... :woot:

:eek: ... Isn't it always staring one in the face and the simplest of solutions in most cases ... :shrug:

:bonk: ... :rules: ... :bang:

VMware Fusion runs a virtual windows desktop. Through this you will be able to run IE6 and and above.

:)

VMware Fusion runs a virtual windows desktop. Through this you will be able to run IE6 and and above.

:)

Totally, totally unnecessary KB ... :cautious: ... the answer my friend is blowing in the wind ... :naughty: ... well it's contained in Cow's new site anyways ... :clap:

:D

Back