UPDATED- NikonSimon's 52 for 2011- Week 3- 'Style'

i'm watching (y)

Ok, here we go. Week 1- Accommodation.

C&C welcome

5336543311_0b76e3ec8e.jpg

:LOL:

There has been a few Egg pictures, but nice touches with the writing and feather.

Well lit and composed

beautiful colours & focus........... I looked for a feather but couldn't get one!!! ;)

looking forward to seeing more of your 52 Simon

Maria
x

beautiful colours & focus........... I looked for a feather but couldn't get one!!! ;)

looking forward to seeing more of your 52 Simon

Maria
x

Thanks Maria. Unfortunately I couldn't find an eggbox with a feather in (happens to me quite often), so I pulled one out of my pillow on the bed! I'm always getting poked by them, so thought I'd put one to good use

Has there? Dammit! I thought I was being original! Haven't seen the other egg ones yet. Will have to search them out.

I thought I was being so original that nobody would have done the same! 2 other great minds so far ;)

Like the use of the feather, I didn't manage to lay my hands on one :(

My take on it

Wow... I was going to ask you about the light setup because it is really fantastic

nice one Simon (y) that was eggsactly what you attempted :D
cracking shot :D:D

Love the simplicity this portrays. The feather is a great prop.

ps also got the Redsnapper mini studio, must try it, maybe on the "New" theme this week.

WELL DONE.

Nice humorous twist on the theme, I like the addition of the feather, the lighting is nice and soft albeit a little boring. Overall a good start to the year.

What do you like about the image and what do you think you might do differently next time? How could you develop the idea further and add more levels into the theme. Perhaps more importantly (with the concept of the 52 being based in learning) what have you learned this week from taking this shot?

Thanks Simon. I know what you mean about the light, but it's kind of the look I was going for and also, I've never actually used lighting before so quite pleased how it came out.

What I like about the image is how sharp and in focus it is, I like the colours, I like the details in the egg (I spent ages in the supermarket going through cartons trying to find 'the one').

What would have been quite cool would have been to buy, say, a carton or two of 12, and having them lying around in the background, use a smaller aperture to throw the ones in the background OOF, and fire away.

What I learnt was how important the setup is, and the lighting, and the patience to get everything 'just right'.

Ok, week 2. 'New'.

The shot itself, IMO, is 'ok'. But I chose to post this one due to the presence of the rather spooky face in the leather footstall behind the bible..

5339391981_05ca5abbfd.jpg

Not sure why you can't see the EXIF. I thought I'd enabled it in flickr.

Shot with 50mm f1.8 at 1/60th, f3.5, ISO400.

Shot in manual with -1/3EV

A good idea and I think I can see the face??

excellent choice, lovely dof & nicely crisp :) would like to have seen a slightly more 'upright angle' if you know what I mean ;)

maria
x

I like the egg idea (y) Well thought of and colours look very good to me. Second one does look a little light but also good idea.

Thanks Cynthia.

I think with the second one (the Bible shot), I shot it in B&W, and as the pages are white I think it's quite hard to get them to look white without either making the picture look overexposed, or grey. I did actually dial in -1/3EV exposure compensation to try and help with the white pages but I guess I should've done a bit more.

Maybe it's my screen that makes it look just about ok, as you're not the first to say it's a bit overexposed. However there were no 'blinkies' on my camera when I took it.

Little bump..

Would be interested to hear other people's thoughts on the exposure on my Bible shot. Is the general consensus that it's over exposed? I can't make my mind up

Personally, I'd say I don't think so... the light top LHS allows "the face" to be spookily spotted...

maybe have a play with it and post a slightly darker contrast...

me tho, I like it as it is!

Personally, I'd say I don't think so... the light top LHS allows "the face" to be spookily spotted...

maybe have a play with it and post a slightly darker contrast...

me tho, I like it as it is!

Thanks. I'll see if I can add a bit more shadow to it, but I agree that it makes the 'face' pop a bit more

Hiya Simon,

A great take on the theme. Another option I was considering for this one, but decided to go for the 'dark side' insead :D Think our images could compliment each other :p

Well you have certainly learned something from this week, i.e., the exposure and white pages. Not easy to judge is it?

I like the depth of field you have here, but think a very slight lower angle would have been better. But then you may have lost the 'face' image, so :thinking:.

This is what I love about this challenge, we get to see each others photos, creative ideas, inspirations, techniques and share!!! That is what it should be all about and the best thing is we all learn from each other. (y)

Personally, I would have put the bookmark ribbon in the centre of the page and cropped the bottom of the image to the centre-fold. Although I have had a play with your image as it is, by cropping, altering the exposure and colour temp, it definitely got potential.

I don't like to hi-jack peeps threads, but if you would like to see the image I came up with from your pic, let me know by PM with email addy and I will send it to you.

I look forward to following your Photo52 the rest of the year.

Cheers

Dawn :)

Hiya Simon,

A great take on the theme. Another option I was considering for this one, but decided to go for the 'dark side' insead :D Think our images could compliment each other :p

Well you have certainly learned something from this week, i.e., the exposure and white pages. Not easy to judge is it?

I like the depth of field you have here, but think a very slight lower angle would have been better. But then you may have lost the 'face' image, so :thinking:.

This is what I love about this challenge, we get to see each others photos, creative ideas, inspirations, techniques and share!!! That is what it should be all about and the best thing is we all learn from each other. (y)

Personally, I would have put the bookmark ribbon in the centre of the page and cropped the bottom of the image to the centre-fold. Although I have had a play with your image as it is, by cropping, altering the exposure and colour temp, it definitely got potential.

I don't like to hi-jack peeps threads, but if you would like to see the image I came up with from your pic, let me know by PM with email addy and I will send it to you.

I look forward to following your Photo52 the rest of the year.

Cheers

Thanks Dawn.

Would love to see your edit. Will PM you my address

Simon

Thanks Dawn.

Would love to see your edit. Will PM you my address

Simon

Cheers Simon, thanks for the addy and I hope you understand my edit.

Right, Week 3 had me stumped. Couldn't work out what to do at all.

We've been down at my fiancee's parents this weekend, and her mother is a bit of a seamstress. She makes dresses, and curtains, and cushions, and all sorts. Handy!

Anyway, was sitting in their lounge, gorgeous winter sunlight was streaming through the window, and I took this. A pile of material sitting atop all sorts of pictures, and plans, and patterns, and cut-outs. It occurred to me that this would do well for my 'Style' picture.

C&C, as always, welcome.

D300s, Tokina 50-135mm @135mm, ISO400, f5, 1/400

5360568825_b44af73b81.jpg

Thanks
Simon

Back