Updating your Film Gear Thread

I'm due an update I suppose. My modest film kit.. :D

3060513209_9fd512703f_o.jpg

Hi Mike,

I use the Canon Driver. So if you are importing into Photoshop it will use the driver automatically - otherwise from the MP Navigator click on the scan button - when this pops up there is a check box which says 'use driver'. From there an application called Scangear launches and this is where I set all the options i.e. Neg or Print / DPI etc etc. However I am sure this is what you are doing?

I tried the Silverfast software but didn't have very good results - it kept crashing and wasn't actually very good at identifying the different negs in a strip of 6. I don't think it got on with Vista very well.

Canon Scangear was much better.

HTH

Mark F

I wasn't using Scangear and will give it a try. Importing directly into photoshop sounds great - that would save me loads of time and hassle as well. I'm in the process of moving house at the moment and have to pack my scanner away tonight, so I'll probably try it this weekend. Thanks for your help (y)

CT - are those cameras in that shot? It's so OOF I couldn't really tell :D

I'm not sure we should be allowed to look upon such a lineup of greatness any sharper than that. :LOL:

LO handheld and coudn't be arsed to get the flashgun out. :LOL:

That is sharp. (y)

But then.......... one lens cap off, two on. One body with no lens at all....... :shake:

:LOL:

That is sharp. (y)

But then.......... one lens cap off, two on. One body with no lens at all....... :shake:

...not to mention all those nasty shadows. Oh, and it needs a straighten... this obviously wasn't taken by a professional :p

gawd, this threads getting all OCD.....and to add to it -

*Boom* tripod, monthly Fire alarm test today, turns out the occupiers went bust after the last test and did a runner leaving their offices ransacked.
Anyway, there's junk everywhere but in the corner of the office is a complete Arnie of a tripod, looks like a giant Benbo Trekker, had a fiddle with it and it was the bomb.
The adjustment knobs are identical to those on CT's pictured tripod, I was thinking at the time they looked a bit girlie for a meathead tripod, but they worked good.
I forget the name, it was UNI something ??
Its got to be worth....:cautious:...investigating...:D

*plots cctv avoidance*

So what's the tripod CT, I must add the legs on this thing were 2ins in diameter.

So what's the tripod CT, I must add the legs on this thing were 2ins in diameter.

It's a Benbo2 I bought off ebay years ago for peanuts. It''s a real monster and I nearly sold it which would have been a big mistake, I've grown to love how solid it is, and the fact that you can raise or lower those legs one at a time, even with the heaviest gear on it.

The legs are solid but they aint 2" diameter - that sounds like a monster! :naughty:

Thats it !.....lulz

Its substantial but not that heavy, all aluminium..

Uni loc...:thinking:...never heard of em.....I want it, it'd be a stonking studio pod with the Benbo way of reaching over tables and getting down low/what not.
No head like that one but still....:D

specs are that the legs are 1.4 inches in diameter.....so slight exaggeration there:LOL:, still damn meaty for a leg..
£200 from WHExpress which seems quite cheap and a bargain at £90 shipped via fleabay.

LOL. The Benbo is about 4 foot long closed, and over 9lbs I think, without a head. You wouldn't want to carry it far - it's like carrying a bunch of scaffolding tubes, but great around the hacienda.

I got a 50 for this.....
:plus1:

That Mamiya 6 is a thing of beauty. I'll bet the 50's a smashing lens. Nice one!(y)
I'va always wanted a MF rangefinder (I use Leicas so rangefinders are right up my street).

As far as updating my film kit is concerned, this was my most recent acquisition...Hope you like it.
It's a Shen Hao HZX 45II 5x4 camera. here, it's fitted with a 90mm f6.8 Grandagon lens..
shen-hao-1.jpg

Here it is in action (if you can call it that). The shots can be seen athttp://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=95750
shen-hao-2.jpg

Here's the whole outfit, ready to be put away...Apologies for the rather tasteless plates of meat in the shot.:p

shen-hao-3.jpg

There are 4 lenses: 75mm, 90mm, 150mm and 210mm. I'd like to get a 300 to complete the outfit sometime. There's also half a tone of other gubbins needed for LF, including a Pentax spot meter (I also have a Sekonic 504)

I also treated myself to a new tripod - a Manfrotto 055MF3 and Kiasmum bought me the junior geared head the Christmas before last.

The only downside to this outfit is that bad backs and LF photography definitely do not mix :( Though it comes highly recommended: in the satisfaction stakes it can't be beaten IMHO.

I still want a MF RF though - I fancy a Mamiya 7II with panoramic adaptor. It's like getting a MF camera with a 'free' XPAN.

That Mamiya 6 is a thing of beauty. I'll bet the 50's a smashing lens. Nice one!(y)
I'va always wanted a MF rangefinder (I use Leicas so rangefinders are right up my street).

As far as updating my film kit is concerned, this was my most recent acquisition...Hope you like it.
It's a Shen Hao HZX 45II 5x4 camera. here, it's fitted with a 90mm f6.8 Grandagon lens..
shen-hao-1.jpg

Here it is in action (if you can call it that). The shots can be seen athttp://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=95750
shen-hao-2.jpg

Here's the whole outfit, ready to be put away...Apologies for the rather tasteless plates of meat in the shot.:p

shen-hao-3.jpg

There are 4 lenses: 75mm, 90mm, 150mm and 210mm. I'd like to get a 300 to complete the outfit sometime. There's also half a tone of other gubbins needed for LF, including a Pentax spot meter (I also have a Sekonic 504)

I also treated myself to a new tripod - a Manfrotto 055MF3 and Kiasmum bought me the junior geared head the Christmas before last.

The only downside to this outfit is that bad backs and LF photography definitely do not mix :( Though it comes highly recommended: in the satisfaction stakes it can't be beaten IMHO.

I still want a MF RF though - I fancy a Mamiya 7II with panoramic adaptor. It's like getting a MF camera with a 'free' XPAN.

That's a thing of beauty. (y)

Its not as straight as I'd hoped and not quite as gorgeous looking as a focal plane 6x6 50, rangefinder lenses are smaller though as an advantage.

Now that will get things straight, right off the bat.
Its a beautiful camera, I read an article about Shen Hao field cameras a couple of years ago, I think they were made to order then, you could choose the type of hardwood it was made from and the plating colour of the metal parts (assuming you didn't choose brass).
It included some shots of a moorland scenic taken with one, with a fence running in an "S" shape right up the middle of the photo, only the fence was in focus, either side of it was out, the fence was sharp front to back from 2ft in front of the camera to a mile in the distance.
It gives me headache trying to imagine the movements required to make that photo.
I was so taken by it, I scanned the article, but I'm buggered if I can find it now.

I bought this a week ago on eBay

and this

The camera is in immaculate condition. Came with everything needed to get started - 75mm f/2.8 lens, WLF, and a 120 back. So, I just need to get started ;)

I also noticed one of my contacts has taken delivery of this -

which is obviously a work of art rather than a camera.

Now that will get things straight, right off the bat.
Its a beautiful camera, I read an article about Shen Hao field cameras a couple of years ago, I think they were made to order then, you could choose the type of hardwood it was made from and the plating colour of the metal parts (assuming you didn't choose brass).
They are available off the shelf from Ffordes and Robert White. I actually bought mine through Foto-arte, but I'm not sure whether they are still in business. The site's active, but doesn't look to have changed too much

It included some shots of a moorland scenic taken with one, with a fence running in an "S" shape right up the middle of the photo, only the fence was in focus, either side of it was out, the fence was sharp front to back from 2ft in front of the camera to a mile in the distance.
It gives me headache trying to imagine the movements required to make that photo.
I was so taken by it, I scanned the article, but I'm buggered if I can find it now.
It's not as difficult as it seems. You need to think quite hard, but it does get easier. The trick is to think about what movements you need before you take the shot. And remember to reset the camera to "neutral" when you've finished.

There are some good books out there that explain camera movements. There's one by Jack Dykinga that has some truly inspirational pictures. There's also another by Steve Simmons which is good reading, though the pictures are less inspirational.

It's the ultimate in "slow" photography and it comes highly recommended.

which is obviously a work of art rather than a camera.

I have heard good things about these pinhole cameras. I'd like one myself.
But I have suffered enough Gear Acquisition Syndrome (GAS) for the time being and Kiasmum might have something to say...:bat:

Actually, thinking about it, I have a 'kit' pinhole camera in the cupboard. I bought it in WHS for about £6. Admittedly, it's not in the same league as this...

Nice Bronnie BTW. Enjoy. I recommend a reflex finder though as you'll find upright shots to be a bit tricky otherwise.

joxby, that sounds impressive - I didn't know this was possible :thinking:

Well I researched it at the time, but hit the scheimpflug principle......so that was that...:thinking:

snip/ "By using the Scheimpflug principle, the “plane of sharp focus” can be changed so that any plane can be brought into sharp focus."

Some excellent deals out there. I just got a gorgeous old Nikon F90x for £40. £40! My first one was £400 second hand 10 years ago! Seriously looking at Medium Format again now. Bronicas for £150? £700 2 years ago.....Blads for a few hundred quid.
Perfick!
And digital prices are going through the roof hahahaha.:LOL::naughty:

Top tip.

If the price of buying a good quality loupe is putting you off (some can cost upwards of £100) then do what I did and dismantle an old 70-300 lens I got off eBum for £25. The front element makes an absolutely superb loupe for viewing your negs & slides and provides a massive viewing area.

3097882213_6516ff09bc.jpg

:)

Love the big old box, and great to see such things still being used.
But the kit shot needs care with the wide angle shot so as not to include toes in shot.:p
I'm only green really.........:LOL:

Love the big old box, and great to see such things still being used.
It's not that old - I bought it new in 2006. 3/4 lenses were second-hand. The 150 was new.

But the kit shot needs care with the wide angle shot so as not to include toes in shot.:p
Oh, I don't know, I think they add a certain "je ne sais quois" to the shot:)

I'm only green really.........:LOL:
:D

:p

Today got some very nice 35mm Hewes reels. They really think of the design don't they!!

The sprocket hole clamp idea is soo good and easy to use

:)

Basic on the left, Hewes on the right

reelscu01sj2.jpg

Sooo nice and soo good!!

Today I received a -

Holgaroid
Diana
Olympus OM1 with 50mm f/1.8 lens
Kodak Brownie Hawkeye

Halina AI

Amusing review here.

Particularly liked the statement

Of all the Halina models this Twin Lens Reflex is one of their better efforts but quality never stood in the way of price, the lens in particular being rather dubious.

Arise Sir film gear thread, and cast your gaze upon my new....err...old box :LOL:

It feels similar to an Electro, but not quite as well made, and no app priority metering.
I expect the lens to be bonza though.
A pack of fags and two pints buys it with a working rangefinder and match needle meter, and 2 adapter lenses, a wide and a tele, dunno what they'll be like.
I bought it to shoot some Kodachrome...:|

51vleh.jpg

This is what I came home with earlier:

Bronica SQAi
2 x 120 backs and a Polaroid back
WLF and metered finder
Lenses: 50mm, 80mm, 150mm
Camera bag and a bundle of different but out of date films

IMG_0889.jpg

A few years ago, all I had was a Nikon FG. In the last five years I have added the following:

35mm
Nikon F601
Edixa Prismaflex
Canonet QL17
Fed 4
Olympus XA
Olympus XA4
Yashica J
Argus C3
Olympus Trip 35
Halina 3000
Kodak Retinette 1B
Another Kodak Retinette 1B (donated to Sean Taylor)
Kodak Retina Reflex III
Kodak Retina Reflex III
Voigtlander Vito B
Voigtlander Vitomatic III
Zenit E
Zenit 11
Zenit 11
Minolta XE-1
Minolta SRT100b (my daughter has this now)
Minolta SRB100x (wind on problem but working)
Pentax S1a (broken)
Pentax Spotmatic
Pentax SV500
Zorki 4

6x4.5
Bronica ETRS

6x6
Rolleicord V
Ansco Speedex Special R
Zeiss Ikon Nettar
Balda Baldinette

6x7