Upgrading from a 13" to a 15" MBP for Lightroom?

Name
Gil
Edit My Images
Yes
Is it worth switching from a 13" Macbook Pro to a 15”? I just find I'm having to hide all the bars to get a descent amount of screen to work with.

Is it worth switching from a 13" Macbook Pro to a 15”? I just find I'm having to hide all the bars to get a descent amount of screen to work with.
I find a 15” screen good enoug to work from, but there’s no denying a bigger screen is better. Could you buy a larger screen and use your MBP through it?

Larger external monitor is the way to go.

FWIW I have a 13" Macbook, moved to a 15" QHD screen laptop, but it still wasn't enough to edit on.

Last edited:
Could you buy a larger screen and use your MBP through it?

That's another option I hadn't considered. Any recommendations on a good monitor? My brother's HP 24" 1080 just doesn't cut it compared against the smaller display on my MacBook.

I've always fancied an Apple thunderbolt display but I don't think they make then anymore. Are they any good?

Last edited:
I love Thunderbolt Displays. I have one at each location I use the MBP.

I got my 2nd one off eBay. You're right, they don't make them any more.

That's another option I hadn't considered. Any recommendations on a good monitor. My brother's HP 24" 1080 just doesn't cut it compared with the smaller display on my MacBook.

I've always fancied an Apple thunderbolt display but I don't think they make then anymore. Are they any good?
Never used the thunderbolt, I’m lucky enough to have the 5k iMac as well as my MBP. A lot of people recommend Dell screens, but I can’t remember which models.

I love Thunderbolt Displays. I have one at each location I use the MBP.

I got my 2nd one off eBay. You're right, they don't make them any more.

Can I ask how much you got yours for and whether you had it delivered or collected it?

Never used the thunderbolt, I’m lucky enough to have the 5k iMac as well as my MBP. A lot of people recommend Dell screens, but I can’t remember which models.

Does the 5k display make a big difference to how images look when working on them in lightroom?

Dell U2412M should be available for =<£200 from Aria.co.uk, and works well with a Macbook (has a displayport connector). The res is 1920 X 1200, and those extra 120PX at the bottom are really useful. There are also more recent versions.

Can I ask how much you got yours for and whether you had it delivered or collected it?
Hi,

I paid £460 for it 2 year ago. I collected as it was only about 30 miles away. There was no box, but it was in perfect condition.

Dell U2412M should be available for =<£200 from Aria.co.uk, and works well with a Macbook (has a displayport connector). The res is 1920 X 1200, and those extra 120PX at the bottom are really useful. There are also more recent versions.

24" full HD is too low res. Pixels will be huge. Its better to go like 20"-ish full HD if on budget.

Right now you may as well look at 4K / 5K options.

Does the 5k display make a big difference to how images look when working on them in lightroom?
Depends what you mean by how they look. The latest MBP and the 5k iMac are the best screens I’ve worked on (after calibration), both make images look gorgeous imo. Working on a screen that size does make processing easier as you don’t have to keep zooming in to see the details for sharpening and detailed brushing etc. As the screen is roughly 15mp (iirc) you’re almost at 1:1 anyway.

I’ve never used any other UHD screens though so don’t know how they compare. I know the Mac is a wide gamut, but I don’t think it’s as wide gamut as some of the high end pro screens, but these cost almost as much as the Mac just for the screen.

An issue for me with very high res screens is that they flatter the image in a way that can mask issues around noise and sharpness when viewing 1:1 - effectively it's like looking close up at a 12X8 print instead of a 12X16. If I edit on this screen (15" QHD) then I have to enlarge 2:1 to get an idea of what the image sharpness is really like.

15 is still much too small. I would get a 17 laptop but I have no idea if apple make them that size, I have zero interest in their products

I'm with snerkler on this.
I have a 15" MBP and a 5k imac.

I use the MBP when I'm travelling mainly for storage and peeking but all my editing is done with the imac.

I've been using a 24" Dell Ultrasharp with a 1920×1200 res screen and there's no way the pixels are too big. It has a wide enough colour gamut to deliver 96% AdobeRGB, and works really well with my 15" MBP.

Am thinking when it comes to upgrading my MBP I'll get a 13" one and a second Dell monitor, as long as the new MBP will allow me to plug two monitors in at once.

Last edited:
I've been using a 24" Dell Ultrasharp with a 1920×1200 res screen and there's no way the pixels are too big. It has a wide enough colour gamut to deliver 96% AdobeRGB, and works really well with my 15" MBP.

Am thinking when it comes to upgrading my MBP I'll get a 13" one and a second Dell monitor, as long as the new MBP will allow me to plug two monitors in at once.

Just picked up a Dell U2415 from Amazon, it was one of their Warehouse deals, some sort of Easter sale on and extra 20% off at checkout.
Worked out at just over 180 quid, they had a U2414 for a bit less, but fancied the bit extra resolution.

Bought it to replace my 7 year old Asus IPS monitor, its been good, but getting a bit temperamental lately, power switch on the way out I think
Its 1920×1200 and 16:10, should be fine, not like I watch videos on it and hopefully better for editing, if not back it goes

Last edited:
Just picked up a Dell U2415 from Amazon, it was one of their Warehouse deals, some sort of Easter sale on and extra 20% off at checkout.
Worked out at just over 180 quid, they had a U2414 for a bit less, but fancied the bit extra resolution.
Have you got a link to that? I can't find it...

Last edited:
Have you got a link to that? I can't find it...

There was only one of each in the warehouse section, both gone now i'm afraid, stuff that's left here https://www.amazon.co.uk/b/ref=s9_a...049-43ed-b42c-5ccf39ed359f&pf_rd_i=3581866031

This Fuji 10-24mm looks like a good deal once the extra 160 quid comes off at the checkout https://www.amazon.co.uk/Fujifilm-XF10-24MMF4-OIS-Lens-Camera/dp/B00FPKDPF2/ref=sr_1_6?m=A2OAJ7377F756P&s=warehouse-deals&ie=UTF8&qid=1521479814&sr=1-6&refinements=p_89:Fujifilm

Just got the Dell from Amazon, looks new to me and can't see any obvious marks.
Reckon it might have just been a return that couldn't be sold as new.

Nice colours, good size and build quality certainly looks decent, need to just to calibrate it now.
Comparing it to my old screen made me realise just how good my old Asus was/is.
Yes it's better, but not vastly so and would definitely recommend Asus judging by my experience.

One complaint would be total lack of instructions, will have to see what the Internet can provide.

For those are interested in Thunderbolt but disappointed that they don't make them any more, Apple have partnered with LG, who made the Thunderbolt screen anyway, to produce a 21" and a 27" Utlrasharp 4K and 5K screen. This mirrors the 21" and 27" iMacs and includes downstream charging via USB-C.

https://www.apple.com/uk/shop/product/HKMY2B/A/lg-ultrafine-4k-display

https://www.apple.com/uk-business/shop/product/HKN62B/A/lg-ultrafine-5k-display

Ignore Apple pricing, you can get them much cheaper from suppliers who have sold them to PC owners who didn't read the details and returned them OB.

I'm going to keep my eyes peeled for a second hand 4k monitor from a reputable manufacturer I think. Not sure I can afford anything more than £200 at the moment. I have my eyes on a Asus PB287Q. Would you guys go for the 4K Asus or lesser resolution Dell if you had a budget of £200

I'm going to keep my eyes peeled for a second hand 4k monitor from a reputable manufacturer I think. Not sure I can afford anything more than £200 at the moment. I have my eyes on a Asus PB287Q. Would you guys go for the 4K Asus or lesser resolution Dell if you had a budget of £200

I looked at that Asus, pretty sure it was a fair bit more than 200 quid, in fact almost double.
Think you might struggle to get a used one in decent nick for £200, looks like a nice monitor though.

How about a Dell U2414H, can get a new one for under the 200 mark, that's what I was looking at until this Warehouse deal came up

I looked at that Asus, pretty sure it was a fair bit more than 200 quid, in fact almost double.
Think you might struggle to get a used one in decent nick for £200, looks like a nice monitor though.

How about a Dell U2414H, can get a new one for under the 200 mark, that's what I was looking at until this Warehouse deal came up

I'm just looking at the options on the local second hand market.

What about the Samsung LS32D850T

http://www.samsung.com/us/computer/monitors/LS32D85KTSR/ZA-specs

Looks like a good monitor but would it be up to the mark for photography at that resolution and size? £200 quid

Just got the Dell from Amazon, looks new to me and can't see any obvious marks.
Reckon it might have just been a return that couldn't be sold as new.
Good to know. Was it advertised as marked, or soiled in any way?

Quite how you would soil a monitor is another question...

Good to know. Was it advertised as marked, or soiled in any way?

Quite how you would soil a monitor is another question...

Looks like new to me and works perfectly, even the leads etc are still in sealed bags and screen still had the protective covering on
Box was a bit bent on one corner and think there should have been a set up CD, not exactly a great loss

They seem to have generic descriptions for all their warehouse stuff, had a few bits from them and never seen anything of note
This is one of their descriptions

Used - Very Good
Minor cosmetic imperfections on the sides of the item. Item will come in original packaging. Packaging will be damaged. All purchases eligible for Amazon customer service and a 30-day return policy.

Think its just returned stuff they can't sell as new for whatever reason, can get some good bargains such as this screen.
Same warranty and returns policy as new items, so not exactly a gamble and even better when they have a 20% extra discount at checkout offer

Back