Beginner Upgrading from a Canon 550d

Edit My Images
No
Hi all,

Been dabling for a while with my trusty 550d.

Looking to upgrade and was thinking the 7d is the way to go.

Anyone care to offer any advice on whether this is the right way to go etc?

Have a look at the following very recent threads, and most importantly the questions that are being asked to the OPs..
Why do you want to change camera?
What is it your current camera can't do that you'd like to do?
What do you want to do?
What features are critical to you and for what you want to do
How much of an investment have you got in the Canon system?

To be honest im most likely just after something newer with a few more bells and whistles on it. I have a few lenses built up for my current camera so im now thinking a 70d would fit the bill as it were.

If all you want is bells and whistles..

Timothy%20Claypole%20Rentaghost.jpg

(go on, make me feel old.. tell me you don't recognise Timothy Claypole.. ..)

If you've got the cash either the 70D or the 7D would be a step-up, but don't expect much more than incremental increases in high ISO response and autofocus performance. Changing camera almost never improves your photography directly, but it can scratch the itch to upgrade and sometimes that's just enough to get you out more and taking photos again if things have become a bit stale.

If you're determined to spend money, I'll throw the Fuji X-series into the mix. It means a complete change of system, but looking through the Talk Equipment forum you'll find a discerning bunch of users have moved away from Canon/Nikon to these excellent little mirrorless CSCs.

If you've got the cash either the 70D or the 7D would be a step-up, but don't expect much more than incremental increases in high ISO response and autofocus performance.

and dramatically improved handling and ergonomics, and a better build quality - most notable improvement being the two scroll wheel system instead of that silly arrow button thing the xxxDs have

with that in mind i'd throw a second user 50D or 60D into the mix as well - the 50D would be slightly fewer MP but significantly improved where it actually matters

I sold my 550D and changed it for a 50D, no real cost difference second hand, I just prefer the controls as Pete says, and the camera just feels better and snappier to use. The 50D natively doesn't do video which doesn't bother me, but the addition of magic lantern resolves that should I ever need it.

Back