Upgrading from Canon SX50 bridge camera

Name
Debi
Edit My Images
No
Hi Guys

Can anyone recommend a decent entry level DSLR for me please? In the next few years I hope to start up a part time portrait photography business so want to get to grips with an SLR. Have been told that my bridge will probably do but I know I will eventually want an SLR and would rather get it now before I pay for workshops to practice on the bridge. I'm usually stuck on Auto :-(

What about the Nikon d3300 with with18-55mm lens? Also, what's the best lens for portrait photography?

Hoping to buy today or tomorrow so any quick advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
Debi

Hi Guys

Can anyone recommend a decent entry level DSLR for me please? In the next few years I hope to start up a part time portrait photography business so want to get to grips with an SLR. Have been told that my bridge will probably do but I know I will eventually want an SLR and would rather get it now before I pay for workshops to practice on the bridge. I'm usually stuck on Auto :-(

What about the Nikon d3300 with with18-55mm lens? Also, what's the best lens for portrait photography?

Hoping to buy today or tomorrow so any quick advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
Debi

Don't rush your purchase, take your time and read these forums for a couple of days. You will get a more clearer picture then :).

Don't rush your purchase, take your time and read these forums for a couple of days. You will get a more clearer picture then :).
Thanks John, will take that advice. Being stuck on AUTO means I haven't had the chance to full understanad ISO, shutter speeds etc etc, that still all sounds like jargon to me :-(

I own the Nikon D3300 and kit lens set up, it is cheap and cheerful. When I put my 35mm 1.8G lens on, it is a great little performer. It suits me just fine, it certainly does have it's limitations. But this might not be the camera for you, have a good look about first. Might be better to get a better spec pre owned camera.

This post feels a little like Déjà vu :).

Last edited:
Definitely agree about taking your time to gain infomation before you buy anything.

Putting any camera on full Auto will, some of the time and sometimes even a lot of the time, get you good results. However, there will be situations where a camera on full Auto will be fooled and the results will be disappointing. In addition full Auto will not allow you to use the camera's features to the full and gives you no control. To get the best from a lot of cameras you need to understand aperture, shutter speed and ISO and how they relate to each other and the effect each has on the final image.

Google "Exposure Triangle" and you will find a lot of information; here for example, - http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/camera-exposure.htm

Dave

Back