Upgrading...

How are you even using USB devices?

USB support only came out with Win 98SE
No, USB1 support was there with Win 95, but some of the hardware implementations back then were a little buggy 'cos it seems they went into production before the standards had been fully agreed.

Can't see much storage in that one, Stuart.
Its got a 256gb SSD drive which will be ample for OS and software.
Storage for media in most cases these days are on external hard drives so it would still be fit for purpose for most users.

Really? Didn't know that.
Just goes to show how little I really do know.

I speak for most people but not all.
In my scenario it has been years since I stored media content on an internal hard drive. its usually on standalone external drives or NAS.

Like I say some people like to have a big internal hard drive and fill it to the gunnels, I'm just not a fan of all my eggs being in one basket.

I have a big internal, but also have a big external as back up. Could get a second to use as main.
What is NAS?

I have a big internal, but also have a big external as back up. Could get a second to use as main.
What is NAS?

Network Storage - rather than USB drive is connected via ethernet (GigE), NAS drives usually run their own processor so can make files available to other devices, eg several computers can share one NAS, they can also make your files available over the internet so you can pick them up remotely.

In your shoes I'd stick to USB drives!!

What is NAS?
NAS = Network Attached Storage

Laymen's terms the storage is not attached directly to your computer but rather to a network that you then use to send and retrieve content to and from

Beaten to it by Mr P who is clearly familiar with your abilities in adopting NAS :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry to slightly hijack your thread, Simon but a quick question - does an NAS drive plug into the router to allow access by any machine on the network?

Sorry to slightly hijack your thread, Simon but a quick question - does an NAS drive plug into the router to allow access by any machine on the network?
That's what I've done with my NAS.

have been busy today because a friend has given me his old phone, he was fed up with me using my Nokia 3100 (it still made phone calls) and has given me his Samsung S4.

Heck, could just get a modern phone and a SD card reader and do the photo editing on that.
Otherwise you don't have to spend a lot. If not using my phone I edit my photos on a MacBook Air that cost £750 new three years ago

I would suggest using Currys/PC world based on your what you have said about your knowledge of computers. They have this installation service for both the computer and for software.

There's no reason you wouldn't be able to edit with this computer.
And this monitor is more than capable and likely much better then your laptop and old windows 98 computer had.

Finding software you get on with is another matter entirely and I'm sure there are people that can suggest simple programs that are similar to the basic nikon software for use with Fuji.

I would suggest using Currys/PC world based on your what you have said about your knowledge of computers. They have this installation service for both the computer and for software.

There's no reason you wouldn't be able to edit with this computer.
And this monitor is more than capable and likely much better then your laptop and old windows 98 computer had.

Finding software you get on with is another matter entirely and I'm sure there are people that can suggest simple programs that are similar to the basic nikon software for use with Fuji.

Fuji have one on the CD with the camera - SilkyPix

Fuji have one on the CD with the camera - SilkyPix

I didn't see a CD in the box with mine. Maybe I just didn't see it. !! The box is in the attick now - I need to get my son to come over and have a look in it for me.

Thank you for the confuser recommendations - obviously the guy I spoke to was keen to sell me as much as possible, he was a photographer himself (hobbyist) or at least he said he was! He knew what was what though, so I expect he was a keen photographer and like most 20-somethings, hankered after the biggest and best. I just want affordable and enough!

Last edited:
I didn't see a CD in the box with mine. Maybe I just didn't see it. !! The box is in the attick now - I need to get my son to come over and have a look in it for me.

Thank you for the confuser recommendations - obviously the guy I spoke to was keen to sell me as much as possible, he was a photographer himself (hobbyist) or at least he said he was! He knew what was what though, so I expect he was a keen photographer and like most 20-somethings, hankered after the biggest and best. I just want affordable and enough!
The suggestions I made are better than what I have, and my setup comfortably runs Lightroom and DxO Optics.

I wanted a new laptop after the wife dropped my old i7 and broke the bottom casing, money was an object but didn't want an AMD as they don't seem to run Adobe CS very well so like others I went into PC world and they had some pretty impressive machines, at pretty impressive prices, I did find a nice Lenovo ideapad in their sale with decent but low spec, I did some sums in my head and thought.........HMMM it can be a nice laptop with a few upgrades so I bought it.

One i3 gen 6 later, with a new SSD and 16GB ram and its a very capable fast laptop and £300 cheaper than a i7 with same spec, and best of all it runs CS much better than my old 2nd gen i7

Edit..........and to make things better, it comes standard with a second HDD caddy (I didn't know at the time) instead of an optical drive, I thought it was just a blank and bought a new Lenovo HDD caddy now it has a 500GB SSD and 1TB HDD which will be swapped soon for another SSD

Last edited:
:)Hi Simon I've been in the same position as yourself and I muddled along with various Windows systems but after Windows 7 a friend persuaded me to try a Apple Mac.
I picked up a mini mac which initially allowed the use of my existing keyboard mouse and monitor for a few hundred pounds :)
I see your not far away being in Stafforshire.
I can highly recommend this guy his name is Keith and he refurbishes mac machines and will not sell you what you don't require a number of friends have gone to him and can't speak highly enough of him.

http://www.appel.me.uk
Give him a call
Oh and I still have the Nikon Capture NX2 running on it but he will put some software on it for you if ask.
It's the best move I ever made and he offers a first class support and guarantee on all his machines !

Last edited:
There are numerous free software programs available
If you google
https://www.google.com/nikcollection/
& Picasa is being replaced I believe see link below
http://picasa.google.com
You can download Silkypix from Fuji site
You also have gimp, after shot 3, DXO optics to name but a few.
https://www.gimp.org
http://www.aftershotpro.com/en/products/aftershot/pro/
Link to free edition
https://www.ephotozine.com/article/there-s-still-time-to-get-corel-aftershot-3-free---30997

If you need any help please feel free to get In touch :)

Last edited:
Last edited:
Guys - thanks very much for all the help and replies. I am now suffering 'information overload' ! :eek: Please, give me a chance to digest all this lot first, before flooding me with more...I am sure one of the options, or a pick n mix, from the above will get me going.

Thanks again - and stand by for personal messages at some stage, probably not for a week or so, off ot France for a week shooting motorboats for a boat builder.

Back