Upvc window catch help please

Edit My Images
Yes
Hello all,

I have a problem with one of my window catches, The handle bit pulls away leaving the part with the two screws on the frame, Can I just buy a new assembly and bolt it back on ? ( Ignore the tape marks my daughters boy friend decided to tape the window up !!!!!!)

dennis.jpg

Hi there,

I’ve literally, last weekend but one done this to a few of our 30 year old double glazed windows. I bought replacement handles from a place called “handle store.com” where they have advice on what to measure and what to order. Handles were about £6.50 to £10 a pop.

most critical measurement is between centres of the bolts. Should be 43mm if I remember correctly plus you need the length of the square shaft that goes into the window to turn the catch.

cheers,

To complement the comment from Gav above, you definitely can swap the shafts but it might not be obvious how so apologies if I’m teaching you to suck eggs. Grip the old shaft in a vice and wallop what remains of the handle, it should be friction fit but a very, very tight one, I could not do it by hand. Same with the new handle, grip the shaft and tap the handle to get it out, it will probably have a nylon collar to secure it.

To add a little to the above - you MIGHT be able to scrape the tape residue off with the edge of an old (copper rather than the newer [magnetic] plated steel) 2p piece.

As above you can buy replacement handles......

But can you clarify:-
You say the handle 'bit' pulls away, though if offered up into position does it work to latch the window?
NB I surmise from it's angle and that it was taped shut that the handle does no longer turn the lock mechanism?

IMO you need to ascertain what, apart from the handle coming off, is broken i e. did the handle get broken due to too much force to latch the mechanism. If so then the mechanism might have a fault that a new handle on its own will likely not cure???

Thanks for the replies everyone, I never expected such a response ! The house is rented by my daughter from me and it's in Dudley where there just so happens to be a Screwfix almost next to an airgun shop I need to visit what a result !

:ty::ty::ty:

NB I surmise from it's angle and that it was taped shut that the handle does no longer turn the lock mechanism
It works fine it is just the handle that falls off when you try to shut the window if your nor careful.

While you have the handle off and have some access to the insides of the window, give it a squirt of the lubricant of your choice and when you have the window open, give all the mechanism a squirt too.

If the screw fixings become loose, the handle can wobble, catching the frame whilst closing. The angles are critical on top openers. I've seen some with "squared off" handle angles that catch almost all of the time. The rounded handles seem better for missing the frame. Slop in the squared recess for the square drive shaft bars can allow wobble too.

It works fine it is just the handle that falls off when you try to shut the window if your nor careful.
Ah! a new handle and you should be 'good to go' :)

I second the oiling the innards of the mechanism, including the latching 'bolts' and slides along the frame edge.

I had the same problem recently, but was put in touch with a firm called Window Geeks who came out and fixed mine including fitting the whole mechanism into the frame, for a reasonable price. I don't know if they were a local or national firm though.

I dont know if you have a tool station near you but they tend to be cheaper than screwfix on many items a quick look at their web site will tell you.

I second the oiling the innards of the mechanism, including the latching 'bolts' and slides along the frame edge.

I rub a candle over the contact points of the visible catches when I remember to! I do the looby squirt thing once a year or so, again, when I remember!

I dont know if you have a tool station near you but they tend to be cheaper than screwfix on many items a quick look at their web site will tell you.

:plus1: for Toolstation over Screwfix but if Screwfix is more convenient (or has the thing I want in stock when TS doesn't!), I'm happy to use them too.

As an apprentice I was told never oil a lock it just collects dirt and eventually gums up the moving parts. Use graphite instead either powdered or rub the parts with a sharp pencil.

As an apprentice I was told never oil a lock it just collects dirt and eventually gums up the moving parts. Use graphite instead either powdered or rub the parts with a sharp pencil.
I always rub my parts with my pencil! Just be sure to get the correct hardness!
:)

Back