Urgent help with laptop need

Name
Tom
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi.

Few hours ago my Toshiba Tecra R940-1JF had close encounter with pint of energy drink. Thankfully most of it survived unharmed, but my keyboard is no more. I tried to look for replacement, but couldn't find any.

Does anyone know where in UK I can get another keyboard?

All pointers will be appreciated.

Cheers
Tom

Last edited:
Why not plug in an external USB keyboard.

Last edited by a moderator:
It does, that's how I use it now, but with factory keyboard taken out laptop has internals within reach of my always curious dogs/kids.

I am amusing you have left it to dry out properly?

At least 24 hours if not more

Yeah, but energy drinks are sticky as hell, so wouldn't expect it to work even when dry.

Now that I know keyboard from R840 fits, it will make search much easier :). Once again thank you Stu for link and all for input.

If any of the drink hits your motherboard, in a short time, the acid in the sugar will eat the printed circuits for breakfast. I wouldn't spend any money on it if that's the case, as eventually it will stop working. I would perform a backup of any important data asap just to be safe

I've got all data backed up already :).

After that happened, first thing was to remove battery and then complete strip down. No components inside were wet thankfully, only keyboard. It soaked up a lot of drink, but didn't let even one drop lower. Everything got cleaned and seems to work fine.

Thanks for mentioning this anyway, will wait a bit then and see how things develop.

I changed one on a Toshiba laptop. Absolute pig of a fiddle and poor connector / lack of room and ribbon cable length too short made it impossible for me.

And I can easily build watercooled PC`s in half an hour with no problems at all.

Tell me about it, I took the bloody thing apart from the bottom and then realised I could just pull the bevel above keyboard and take it off in less than 30 seconds - also with plenty of room to fiddle!

Back