Used Canon body for sports

Name
Gary
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all.

Just wondered if anyone could give some advice form there experiences shooting moving subjects.

I use a Canon 6d "hobbyist" love the camera and does what I need.

That said.

We just had a speaker at our camera club last night whom had taken some amazing sports action photos. I have been using a camera for some time now so realize that it takes a lot of practice so it's not a case of buy a camera = fab images.

I also enjoy taking dog portraits but at some point would like to try some out door dog photos e.g. ; running around jumping (the dogs that is). I have done some of this when out and about. With some success using the 6d but obviously there are better suited cameras for this type of thing.

So with the second hand market awash with dslrs at the moment I was wondering what would be a good second hand Canon body for this type of shooting.

Budget wise lets say £700 cheaper the better but above is fine too.

It's just an idea so I can keep an eye out for anything if and when something comes available.

Gaz

It's a cropped sensor in comparison to your 6D, but a 7D mkII sounds ideal for you, it'd be a great compliment to the 6D. One for speed, one for portraits/stills. £684 for one with 17K shutter count on MPB atm

I agree. Although indoors it’s a tad noisy if the lighting isn’t great. At that price, assuming it’s in good condition, it’s worth a try, I would say.

I agree. Although indoors it’s a tad noisy if the lighting isn’t great. At that price, assuming it’s in good condition, it’s worth a try, I would say.

It's labelled 'good' aye. It'll have a few rub marks about it but in general anything from 'good' upward on there is fine. The shutter count is pretty low for a faster dslr which is good.

An 80D could be had brand new from a grey importer for your budget. It's a great APS-C camera, decent AF system and burst speed. I shoot motorsport with one and have no issues at all. It's a newer sensor than the 7D MkII so slightly better dynamic range and noise handling.

Thanks everyone for your replies all very helpful. Seems the 7d is probably coming out on top at the moment.

You can photograph any subject with any camera. The key to sports/action photography is anticipation and timing.
Thanks for your reply. Although I did try to avoid his type of reply with my description.

Gaz

Just out of interest, what did the speaker shoot with?
Hiya. Thanks for the link. I'll take a look when home this evening. The fellas real gift was in composit images. "Camera club" ! He also in his own words wanted to be an all rounder so was learning other stuff. Sports wildlife. His sports stuff were good to my eyes. He shoots with Nikon D500 and another Nikon Can't remember which maybe the D5 could be wrong on that though. Didn't really talk about the gear much.

Gaz

It's worth reading the comments as well.

I'm no expert, but the camera that came to mind first of all was some sort of 1D. Which wasn't on their list, but is mentioned in the comments section.

Interestingly, in this DP article, the 1DX mark II is the only Canon they even mention - although, clearly this will be way over budget.

https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/buying-guide-best-cameras-for-sports-and-action

Last edited:
Assuming outdoor sport? in which case water resistance might be something worth considering, so for your budget a 1D of some description (probably a mk3), beast of a camera but do bear in mind it needs good light to get good results and a water resistant lens to maintain a seal. As has been mentioned you also get a 1.3 crop so your existing lenses will have their apparent focal length changed. I have an old 1DMk2 and despite being battered and bruised and very old it still works really well so you should be able to get a mk3 that performs well.

So what do you want your new camera to do that the Canon 6D can't do?
Hiya J
I'm not wanting to get into a big debate over this. I agree totaly in your statement. Like I say in the opening description I have taken images of dogs running also jumping into water. (People) Colour runs/blasts, Cricket matches, Rugby game all with good succsess. (Using the 6D)
Never the less I was impressed with what I saw last night (A bit giddy) and being as there are lots of used cameras going at good prices on here I thought I would ask the question and see what peoples experiances were, i'm not gonna rush out and buy one. I don't change my gear until it's broke up until this point.
Like I say I love camera and have no intention of stopping using it.

Gaz

My 1D MkIII can take shots at up to 10fps and at 800 ISO has very little noise.

It is 10MP and uses the APS-H sensor, so gives 1.3x crop.

I have one, its great but the 65 or however many menu customisations are more for advanced users.
There is little to zero beginner friendly or easy to understand anything on it.
It is way more advanced that a 6D which is a simple camera in comparison.

Ha ha ! That made me smile as I tell everyone whom asks me about the 6d. That I like it because its so simple and straight forwards to use.
Thanks for the user info.

Gaz

Last edited:
I have one, its great but the 65 or however many menu customisations are more for advanced users.
There is little to zero beginner friendly or easy to understand anything on it.

Maybe but who uses 65 customisations?

Mine is set to aperture priority, back button focussing, centre spot focussing, and centre weighted average for exposure.

In bright sunlight I will under expose usually by 1 stop to make sure I don't burn out the highlights.

Just set the ISO and that's about it!:)

here's 2 images taken at the same rugby match

image one
p9uHCIb.jpg

image two
YlGKnws.jpg

one of the images was taken with a canon 20d and 70 - 200mm f2.8 lens the other with a canon 1dx and a 300mm f4 lens which gives both cameras about the same maximum focal length/field of view

considering the technology differences in the camera bodies the differences in this particular circumstance is not that much
the 1dx certainly makes it easier to get keepers but the 20d is still usable

cameras within your budget have already been suggested but what is lacking on the 6d that you think a different body would overcome ?

Last edited:
I doubt you could shoot any sort of sport on this:

View attachment 239506
Well, there's Golf, Snooker, The rifle shooting thing they do lying down in the Olympics, Angling and Crown Green Bowls. These were the ones I could think of off the top of my head. I'm sure I've missed a few though.

@cosmicma
Thanks for taking time to post the comparison images.
Like I said above I've got along just fine with the 6d I just assumed there were better bodies for that type of image taking. Especially with some models having dedicated sensors just for focusing.

Maybe but who uses 65 customisations?

Mine is set to aperture priority, back button focussing, centre spot focussing, and centre weighted average for exposure.

In bright sunlight I will under expose usually by 1 stop to make sure I don't burn out the highlights.

Just set the ISO and that's about it!:)

Apart from the under exposure stop. This is how I shoot as a default.

Gaz

Last edited:
that would have been my choice too if it was in budget but i couldn't find a price with the very brief search on ebay

They've got three 'well used' bodies in at £650 with under £150 actuations.

I'd take a few scratches and scrubbed paintwork at that price any day of the week.

Lenses.
I own 24 - 105L f4
Primes 200L f2.8
85 f1.8
50 f1.8
28 f1.8
All Canon

I’d be looking at best 1D within your budget. Took me a few years and budget increase to get to 1DXM2.

I’d be looking at best 1D within your budget. Took me a few years and budget increase to get to 1DXM2.

Well I don't need any more cameras and my Z800 workstation can cope with anything I throw at it - but the 1DX MkII - mmmm:)

They've got three 'well used' bodies in at £650 with under £150 actuations.

I'd take a few scratches and scrubbed paintwork at that price any day of the week.

There are bargains out there. I found a mint, low mileage 1D mk IV at LCE earlier this month for £749. Fantastic bit of kit!

Simon.

Just be warned that the 1D Mark IV is no longer being serviced by canon should something go wrong. It’s a brilliant camera as I’ve owned one but a 7DmkII would be my choice as the other 1D series cameras are out of your price range.

No one seems to have mentioned a 5diii - I’m guessing they’re out of the price range. I’ve used one for sports. Not as many FPS as the 1 series but enough for me and has the same focusing capability as a 7dii.

I had a 7dii but I just didn’t like the images as much and I also didn’t like switching between a full frame and cropped sensor with the different fields of view. Despite having more FPS, I wasn’t convinced I got more keepers with it either.

@Bebop Thanks for your reply. Great you have used both the camera's mentioned. I just had a quick look on this forum for a used mark 3 and they sell within budget or there abouts.

Thanks again
Gaz

No one seems to have mentioned a 5diii

I would use mine if I had to but given a choice I'd look elsewhere mainly because the buffer is very small and fills in less than 2s. You'd have to be quite selective with your shutter button. That's about the main problem with it, other than 5(?) fps will likely miss you the better frame every now and then.

Would you not consider getting a 70-200 2.8 lens?

I appreciate you have a 200 prime, but I'd thst what you are using whilst trying to achieve similar images?

If so, then some training might be more appropriate?

You can photograph any subject with any camera. .

You just wont get a picture in some cases... So a pointless bit of missinformation :)

It's a myth that you can get a good picture with any camera...

I would use mine if I had to but given a choice I'd look elsewhere mainly because the buffer is very small and fills in less than 2s. You'd have to be quite selective with your shutter button. That's about the main problem with it, other than 5(?) fps will likely miss you the better frame every now and then.

That’s really strange, I never had any buffer problems, but I only ever wrote to one card (raw files) and usually to the CF card, and generally would buy the fastest cards I could. I think I read somewhere it really slows it down if you write to both cards.

I used to use back button focus... mostly photographing football, kite surfers and windsurfers, but also dogs running on the beach, sailing events and runners. Perhaps some sports would be harder?

Back