Varifocals

Thanks for all the advice....still not sure which way I will go....I shall ponder over a Guinness :D
Did varifocals work out for you in the end? Would be interested to know... or are you still sipping that guinness? :beer:

I've just got some, and they are now back at the opticians having the near/far areas adjusted. There was a very steep gradient between the near and far lenses with the result that the corridor of what was in focus for reading was minuscule - 3 words at most in focus. I'm waiting to see how they are next week, but I am tempted to go up a couple of levels in expense where I think there is a bit less distortion at the edges when reading. I'd really like them to work, and have 60 days to get them sorted.

I have been using mine for 2 years now, the first 6 months I hardly wore them as I could not get used to having to move my head when reading rather than my eyes, I now cannot be without them,

I have been using mine for 2 years now, the first 6 months I hardly wore them as I could not get used to having to move my head when reading rather than my eyes, I now cannot be without them,
Did you go for very expensive ones? I can imagine getting neck ache with mine as so much left to right movement was involved. It was very difficult to get text in focus. I went for one up from the cheapest which may have been a mistake.

I've had them for less than a week, but was feeling so sick and headachey wearing them for just 10 minutes at a time. I'm hoping with the reading part moved lower down, that will improve. For the first time I need some correction for driving so I do need to get it sorted.

Did you go for very expensive ones?

I got a pair about 3 years ago & because I don't do a lot of reading, chose the cheaper/narrower reading field of view..............mistake!
Like yourself I had to move my head after reading just a couple of words. I rarely used them apart from driving.

Last year I bought new ones with the wider reading/side to side view & also had the lenses made at a better distance for use on my desktop pc. It's also probably helped with the newer fashion of having deeper frames than previously, so there is much more scope for a better graduation between distance - close up.

I wear them most of the time now. :cool:

Last year I bought new ones with the wider reading/side to side view & also had the lenses made at a better distance for use on my desktop pc....

That's reassuring to know that it made a difference to you. I wonder how many people give up because they haven't realised how it makes a difference.

I think the intermediate area for looking at my computer is important to me too, and in any case I got the 2nd pair offer of readers for use if I'm reading a book. I'll see how I get on, but I may just fork out the extra for the wider field of view.... considering they'll last a couple of years, and they'll be used daily I think it will be worth it.... as long as I can get used to them.

Did you go for very expensive ones? I can imagine getting neck ache with mine as so much left to right movement was involved. It was very difficult to get text in focus. I went for one up from the cheapest which may have been a mistake.

I've had them for less than a week, but was feeling so sick and headachey wearing them for just 10 minutes at a time. I'm hoping with the reading part moved lower down, that will improve. For the first time I need some correction for driving so I do need to get it sorted.

I paid £200 for 2 pairs, got one pair tinted for summer use, chose the narrow field of view ones as they were considerably cheaper, but when I change next time will gey the broader viewing field

I've had them a few years now, wouldn't be without them.
On my second lot and have one pair as reaction lenses for the summer, but I tend to wear them most of the time
as they react very quickly, only downside is that due too many cars have UV glass in them they don't darken when driving
which also means I don't have to worry too much about changing light when driving

It sounds like it's worth paying the extra and putting the effort in. I think I'm also finding the change in distance lenses will take some getting used to as I've not needed glasses for distance before.

As a matter of interest, do people go for the coated lenses? I declined the bluer tint which apparently makes your eye less tired when looking at a screen (though I've never found it a problem), but I did go for the other coating. I'm hoping it doesn't affect my colours for photographs.

I've had varifocals for many years now and wouldn't be without them.

This time I got 2 pairs - from Tesco for the price of one pair from my local independent .

Pair 1 - varifocal , reactolite [ I suffer from glare ] and as wide as they could be as regards lens size - very comfortable in use
Pair 2 - varifocal , and intended for the car since my reactolites didn't darken sufficiently and when driving from the West to the East with low sun - it was very very uncomfortable is pair are tinted - dark brown.

As a matter of interest, do people go for the coated lenses?

This latest pair has the anti-glare coating (not sure how much difference it makes tbh) & whether it's the coating or not, I'm not sure, but I find them not as easy to clean & get smear free.

I think the intermediate area for looking at my computer is important to me too,

I just had a quick check & from the bottom part of the lenses, @ book reading distance (12" - 15" ish) I can read approx. 3" either side of centre without moving my head
Graduated approx 1/3rd - 1/2 way up the lens I use for the desktop pc @ about 30" away & I can see about 50% of a line of words (24" screen ) without moving my head.
The top 50% is obviously for distance

This latest pair has the anti-glare coating (not sure how much difference it makes tbh) & whether it's the coating or not, I'm not sure, but I find them not as easy to clean & get smear free.

I just had a quick check & from the bottom part of the lenses, @ book reading distance (12" - 15" ish) I can read approx. 3" either side of centre without moving my head
Graduated approx 1/3rd - 1/2 way up the lens I use for the desktop pc @ about 30" away & I can see about 50% of a line of words (24" screen ) without moving my head.
The top 50% is obviously for distance

That's very interesting, thank you, both re the coating and the useable area. I'd be very happy to have those fields of view.

I got new varifocals in July, and opted for the top range, widest reading field version, and they are a revelation.
I liked the previous ones, but always kept a pair of reading glasses purely for reading when lying in bed.
I no longer need those.
Expensive? Yes, but so worth it.

Did varifocals work out for you in the end? Would be interested to know... or are you still sipping that guinness? :beer:

I've just got some, and they are now back at the opticians having the near/far areas adjusted. There was a very steep gradient between the near and far lenses with the result that the corridor of what was in focus for reading was minuscule - 3 words at most in focus. I'm waiting to see how they are next week, but I am tempted to go up a couple of levels in expense where I think there is a bit less distortion at the edges when reading. I'd really like them to work, and have 60 days to get them sorted.

Still on the Guinness LOL..... in the end I got separate pairs....

Back